Bus to Cuzco

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bus to Cuzco

Postby Roger in the US » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:43 pm

I am going to be in Lima for 6 weeks later this month and thought about taking a bus to Cuzco instead of a plane. I read that it is about a 19 hour trip but is this going to be a motion sickness nightmare?

Any bus lines that you might recommend?

Thanks

Roger

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bus to Cuzco

Postby argidd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Roger,
Cruz del Sur or Oltursa are recomendable.
I am not an adventure traveler, and I have never traveled that far by bus, but I would just say, be veeeeery careful. I've heard of bad motion sickness and altitude sickness stories on buses. You will probably experience beautiful sceneries and what not, but you will have to balance out what is more important for you.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Regards,

Argidd
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Anyone I ever talked to said they would never do it again...

cheap though....
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:27 pm

tomasb wrote:Anyone I ever talked to said they would never do it again...

cheap though....

Oh yeah, that too! The 2 people who told me the horror stories also said they would never-ever do it again!
If you want to look for a cheapish flight, look for Peruvian (airlines) they don't charge you the extra that Lan or Taca charge to non-residentes.
Regards,

Argidd
peruliving

Postby peruliving » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:46 pm

I took the bus to Cusco last year with Cruz del Sur. Very nice seats that reclined and we traveled overnight so I actually slept a good portion of the trip. It was very cheap, and they offer a pretty good meal, and a movie to go along with it. They came by a few times with tea or coffee, and we also had breakfast in the morning. They also played bingo and the winner got a free trip. The motion is a lot to handle if you arent good riding in vehicles as I remember one portion of the trip was all curves for about 5 or six hours. I have heard its not the safest way to travel, because these busses have been robbed in the past by people on the street. You could fly from Lima to Cusco in about 45 minutes, which if you can afford it, is the way to go. I rode back from Cusco with a company that I believe was called Oltursa, and it was not nearly as nice. Seats were not comfortable, food was not very good as well and the employees were not as interested in their job. I brought a book with me, and read and enjoyed the scenery. Next time I will probably fly, but its definetely worth doing at least once. Good luck
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:47 pm

What about renting a car? Anybody know of any deals?
I am wanting to see the country.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Roger, as far as taking the bus; I would say "NO".
My wife was teaching a seminar there & her school paid for her trip; I paid a reasonable fee to ride along.
The trip was almost 23 hours & the swaying of the bus, caused many of us to be SICK!

I you want to see the scenery; then a CAR is a good option.
If I had to do again, I would consider Peruvian Air to Cusco & then "maybe" coming back in a car.

Have a safe flight,
Philip :roll:

PS - for you expats that aren't aware, Roger has been very gracious to offer to bring a few small items with him from OK (US); his extended family was involved in the recent tornados & I am sure we all wish him - THE BEST. Roger has been busy with working to make sure these people are "back to normal" & may not have answered your PM (if it got thru - as mine didn't). THANKS from all of us - expats...
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:30 pm

How about a camper?

Check out this post:

http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22068

A little pricey though. Perhaps you can call them for a good deal.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Roger,
Hope all is well in OK.
In regards to takiing a bus to Cusco. It depends on your adventurous nature, and how well you can adapt to traveling on a double decker bus, (top level sways more). I did similar trip (in terms of hours) to Chiclayo from Lima, a 12 hour trip with Oltursa, very nice experience. Then another bus from Chiclayo to Jaen with no a/c and live animals on board for 6-1/2 hrs. and another bus from Jaen to San Ignacio for 2 hrs. and a collectivo from San Ignacio to Namballe for 2-1/2 hrs! Sad to say, my wife did not like it, but I, myself would do it again :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Going to Cusco by bus is not safe right now. So many accidents and so many robberies on the roads these days. I took a bus to Cusco years ago and I did not feel sick but the guy next to me puked a lot so the trip was not comfortable.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Roger, I really hope all things are working out in OK, the best to all of you out there.

I agree with Victmanu, it is not safe (nor is it secure).
Consider that traveling on the road in Peru, especially into the mountains is a difficult ride, a lot of one way roads, sharp curves, and crazy drivers; as well as the security issues you can always come accross in Peru.

If you want to see the scenery, maybe drive around the Cusco region?
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:44 pm

STARPERU flies to Cuzco and their rates are democratically priced.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Thank gawd for dramamine...you'll sleep and you won't get sick.
sadieinperu

Postby sadieinperu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi,

So I've taken Cruz del Sur more than once from Lima to Cusco and vice-versa. I generally get horrendous motion sickness but I have never really found this, as long as I have paid a little more for the downstairs "expensive" cama seats. You might even want to buy some anti-nausea medicine while you're here just in case.

I can highly recommend it - it can be a long 24 hours, depending on the roads, but the views are just incredible and will never be seen from a plane. It depends on what you want, I guess!

I have also looked into hiring a car to do the trip, but most of the companies we looked at charged high "one-way" prices as you are not returning it to the same site. They also seemed to have a milage limit, which probably won't cover the milage needed to get to Cusco.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:43 am

Each to their own, but you asked so... Fly, the views are incredible that you can’t see from a bus, flying over the Andes is incomparable!, then do a local trip there to see the bus view too, without the suffering and get the best of both worlds. If you can afford to rent, you can afford to fly. You didn't mention your flight down but sometimes the option of adding Cusco to that ticket can be better than buying a separate democratically or even communistically priced separate one here.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register