Looking at moving to Lima, Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
jcartwright_

Looking at moving to Lima, Peru

Postby jcartwright_ » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 am

Hey!

Im a BSc graduate from Oxford Brookes, studied IT Management for Business, and I am looking into ways to move across the atlantic to Peru. I am currently learning Spanish, I have a basic understanding of the language from frequent visits to Spain to see my partner (who is Spanish and now living/working in Lima) but I am currently really trying to improve my level of proficiency.

I currently have a pretty good job in Oxford working as an IT Project Manager, however I have been considering the possibility of taking a lesser job to really immerse myself in the Spanish-Peruvian language and culture, seeing as I am still early in my career at 24. I also think this would be a good way to get my Spanish up to the level required to apply/take on jobs that are relevant to my degree and field of expertise.

Really im looking for any advise on moving to Lima, Peru, places to look for jobs and potential accommodation, how likely it is that I would find work as just an English Speaker, anything along these lines.

The more information I can get, the better equipped I will be when making this decision!

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you =]

Jon

Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking at moving to Lima, Peru

Postby Jalapenomel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 pm

I spoke no Spanish when I got here, and after a couple of months doing the English tutoring hustle, I found a job teaching at an international school. However, the pay is much much lower then what I was used to in the States, so keep that in mind.

Good luck!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:49 am

jcartwright_ wrote:Hey!

Im a BSc graduate from Oxford Brookes, studied IT Management for Business, and I am looking into ways to move across the atlantic to Peru. I am currently learning Spanish, I have a basic understanding of the language from frequent visits to Spain to see my partner (who is Spanish and now living/working in Lima) but I am currently really trying to improve my level of proficiency.

I currently have a pretty good job in Oxford working as an IT Project Manager, however I have been considering the possibility of taking a lesser job to really immerse myself in the Spanish-Peruvian language and culture, seeing as I am still early in my career at 24. I also think this would be a good way to get my Spanish up to the level required to apply/take on jobs that are relevant to my degree and field of expertise.

Really im looking for any advise on moving to Lima, Peru, places to look for jobs and potential accommodation, how likely it is that I would find work as just an English Speaker, anything along these lines.

The more information I can get, the better equipped I will be when making this decision!

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you =]

Jon

There are a few companies here that work with english speaking clients that you'd probably have a decent chance of getting a job (relatively speaking). As long as your salary expectations are realistic for Lima I think you might be able to make it work. Being able to interface with developers in Spanish will probably be a requirement and the sponsorship of a business visa can be a little bit of an impediment for a company to take you on. Just a few things to think about with regards to work in your field as opposed to teaching english which is always an option.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:56 am

The best thing to do would be to come over for a ''trial period'' and see how things go. Lima works on contacts so you need to network and get known. It's the old saying of 'it's not what you know, but who you know' that gets you in the doors.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:02 am

Hey Jon

Have you got a plan for your legal status? That is very important if you want to find work.
I would suggest contacting companies as of now, perhaps with the help of your partner, and see if they are willing to sponsor you (unless you have some other sort of way to work legally), most half decent companies will employ people legal to work, and it is also safer for you.
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 pm

If you don't speak Spanish it will be very tough to get a job unless you want to work in a sweatshops. Loads of Haitians work in sweatshops in Lima. 7 days a week, 12 hours a day for $150 or less a month. Zorking conditions are unhealthy and dangerous.

The other burden is that getting a workvisa is tough. You must find an employer who's willing to sponsor you.

Many foreigners work illegally. It's easy to find a job in restaurants and hotels but you must speak Spanish. Not perfect but a decent level.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Looking at moving to Lima, and you are asking here? Needs to come with a CONSUMER WARNING that we SHOUT a lot and we are a real mixed bag of “characters”... some say misfits. :lol: I will include myself in the latter. For sure there are some almost normal here, but a couple of real LOONIE TUNES too. Buyer beware!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register