Buying a Suit at Gamarra

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
James Rothschild

Buying a Suit at Gamarra

Postby James Rothschild » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Hey Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any experience buying men's suits at Gamarra. I have a vague memory seeing a shop that would sell a full suit for about 200 soles. This seems a little on the cheap side, but that's what I'm looking for!

Anyone with experience in this or who knows a good shop around there, please let me know!

Thanks,

James

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying a Suit at Gamarra

Postby argidd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:09 pm

You can also get a cheap suit at Él or Adams for 200 soles, and don't need to go to Gamarra for that.
Otherwise, if you live around there, or want to go there, make sure you try the suit on, remember they cater to a shorter average, so usually trousers and suit jackets are shorter.
Regards,

Argidd
efranco

Postby efranco » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:55 am

Hola
Try looking for D'ocram they make nice suits and are famous for having the best ties in the whole Gamarra. I used to work in a bank nearby and everytime i needed to dress bit fancy i.went there.
Let me know how it went or if needing somehelp .
franco.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:53 pm

There are many, may stores in Gamarra that sell suits (ternos) - and you can even find trendy suits for 120 Soles!
Have a look at the main streets in Gamarra (Huanuco, America, Bazo etc. ).
In the smaller galerias you will find the best prices.

PS:
A c h e a p suit for a R o t h s c h i l d ?!
Jeeeeesus...
Sic transit gloria mundi !!!
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Call Mrs Rodas on 998087786. She has a store on Calle Huanaco which we had a very good experience at, through a recommendation of a friend of mine.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 pm

If you are looking for suit (quality). The 200 sol suits have a low thread count. You may want to ask about the quality of the fabric or you may be buying a second suit in the near future.
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:18 pm

gringito wrote:t
PS:
A c h e a p suit for a R o t h s c h i l d ?!
Jeeeeesus...
Sic transit gloria mundi !!!

indeed :mrgreen: Gosh I love this forum hehe

If he is a Rothschild surely he can afford a Giorgi Mamani suit... :wink:
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 pm

tupacperu wrote:If you are looking for suit (quality). The 200 sol suits have a low thread count. You may want to ask about the quality of the fabric or you may be buying a second suit in the near future.

its just polyester or a wool polyester blend, people will lie to you and say its wool if you want a good suit you need to buy super 100s wool at least, which itself is 140 soles a metre and then you need 3 metres. The refining process in peru is very poor and the wool actually gets sent to europe to be refined. Also try asking for anything differnt than the standard square suit with large ugly lapels and you will be looked at like an alien. Ofter people will take your size and then go and buy a horrible cheap suit and just adjust it a little and tell you they made it from scratch. Be careful!

if you dont mind walking around in plastic then buy a 200 soles suit, just dont go near a cnadle or you will melt
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:29 am

argidd wrote:You can also get a cheap suit at Él for 200 soles, and don't need to go to Gamarra for that.

Last week, I bought a nice suit at El for 199 soles.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:55 pm

James Rothschild wrote:Hey Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any experience buying men's suits at Gamarra. I have a vague memory seeing a shop that would sell a full suit for about 200 soles. This seems a little on the cheap side, but that's what I'm looking for!

Anyone with experience in this or who knows a good shop around there, please let me know!

Thanks,

James

Quality varies enormously in Gamarra, so I'd strongly suggest shopping around. And the prices can vary, too, especially if you don't know much about suits. I always take a Peruana with me to help.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Hitoruna wrote:If he is a Rothschild surely he can afford a Giorgi Mamani suit... :wink:

:D Sure, I have heard he makes very fine suits out of Cui Skin :mrgreen:

Anyway...when buying a suit it does not hurt having some - or obtaining in due course some- basic knowledge about fabrics.

In general I do not like fabrics containing synthetic fibers (apart from the fact that such a suit is indeed "cheap"). However, for Lima I would make an exception. The reason being that clothes with synthetic fibers do not that quickly become dirty when you drive or walk through Lima. However, suits containing synthetic fibers are very unconfortable to wear in hot weather.

PS:
A suit designer from Gamarra which became quite famous in Peru (several known futbolistas etc. like to buy his designs) is Julio Cesar. See for example
http://tiendas.gamarra.com.pe/ternos-julio-cesar/

His designs are "younger", not thaaaat classic. He also makes nice coats.
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:25 pm

gringito wrote:
Hitoruna wrote:If he is a Rothschild surely he can afford a Giorgi Mamani suit... :wink:

:D Sure, I have heard he makes very fine suits out of Cui Skin :mrgreen:

Anyway...when buying a suit it does not hurt having some - or obtaining in due course some- basic knowledge about fabrics.

His designs are "younger", not thaaaat classic. He also makes nice coats.

I have someone make my suits for 250 soles, i buy the fabric myself from the shops on benevides there is not much price difference from gamarra.

sometimes i buy cheaper material from gammara for 45 soles a metre but its 50wool/50synthetic blend but full plastic is very uncomfortable in hot weather as you said and starts to look rough quickly and everyone knows you have a cheap suit and in business that is a disaster for your personal marketing.

the main problem i hve found is that few people can make a slim fitting suit welll without snagging the back or have the lapels coming off the chest too much. Suit making is a fine, fine art
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 pm

There are also a lot of good tailors in Lima Cercado that are specialized in custom made suits.
No wonder since in Lima Cercado there are a lot of government departments and higher society clients such as politicians etc.
These tailors also have a considerable stock of fabrics.

The fly in the ointment when buying custom made suits in Peru is
that many tailors REINFORCE (!) the inner surface of the original fabric with a synthetic fibrous web which is extremely stiff. The entire suit then feels like an armor suit!

I did not know this but became aware of this detail when a friend of mine complained that his brand new suit, made out of an expensive fabric, felt like cardborad. Consulting a tailor, he explained to me that the Peruvian clients always ask for these reinforcements or expect such “rigid” suits. I never found out why but I recommend that you omit these synthetic fibrous web reinforcements in order to get a more comfortable suit.
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:14 pm

Don't waist your time buying a crappy suit. It's never worth it.
Go to Casa Espana (www.casaespanaperu.com) and spend some money to have it done correctly. A suit should reflect who you are and what you think of yourself. It lets others know that you respect them. Also, a well crafted suit is one of those rare occasions in which you are in total control of what you are getting (cut, buttons, pockets, cuffs etc..) and can direct those working with you on how you would like to be presented to others. This is a time to invest in yourself and not to be taken lightly. There are certain thing that you can get away with buying on the cheap, but this is not one of them.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Ron, I fully agree, except of the part where you say
"one of those rare occasions in which you are in total control of what you are getting ".

We are in Peru...!
Even in expensive or more reputable shops things can (and quite often will) go wrong (though chances are considerably lower).

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register