Business Model

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Intercultural business relationship - do’s and don’ts

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:01 am

I feel the TRUTH to this question is that the American "business model" has thrived; making the US the undisputed leader in GDP; Peru is probably no where in the top 50.

Good comments all,
Philip :|

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Business Model

Postby sbaustin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:I feel the TRUTH to this question is that the American "business model" has thrived; making the US the undisputed leader in GDP; Peru is probably no where in the top 50.

Good comments all,

It would be more appropriate to compare Peru to TX based on size and population rather than the entire USA. Taking that into account, in 2008 Peru was 45. Texas would be 15 right behind Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... y_GDP_(PPP)
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:32 am

Good logic; but my point is well substantiated.

PS - when will Peru start encouraging new business start-ups?
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:03 pm

PS - when will Peru start encouraging new business start-ups?

Good question. Something very small sometimes is moving, but until now, no way. Look at Chile, they actually are doing it whilst in Peru it still seems that they are trying to make your life as hard as possible.

Only my 2 cents as I'm also looking into doing something here but I can't afford the payment requirements they ask for an investment visa. That's why so many people I know left for Chile.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Business Model

Postby sbaustin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:22 pm

I don't necessarily think it is all that hard to start a small business here. I know a lot of people that do. Also, smaller businesses pay less in employee contributions like cts and gratification. I would be interested to find out what you think Peru should do to encourage small business growth?

Lastly, I split these posts from the International Business Relationships post as they are talking about something different.

Phil, I didn't argue against your conclusion, I only mentioned that comparing Peru to the USA with regards to GDP isn't really a good comparison since they aren't anywhere close to the same in size or population. That being said, can you expand on what the American model is and how it differs from the Peruvian one?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Is there such a thing as GDP divided by population; that's what I was trying to compare.
I found it so easy to start a business in the US; all the grants, tax credits for hiring new employees; state tax avoidance for 10 - 20 years, etc.

If you don't offer incentives for someone to start a new business or expand an old one; then the economy stagnates.

I agree with you sbaustin; this should be a new topic; thanks for catching that.

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Yeah, Peru is pretty low with regards to per capita GDP, but I don't necessarily think that has much to do with the business models but their histories and such.

I think it is much cheaper to start a company here even if you factor some of the tax breaks and such. I wonder who has statistics on PYME growth over the last 5 or 10 years. I bet it is pretty high.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:
If you don't offer incentives for someone to start a new business or expand an old one; then the economy stagnates.

Here go, page 16 shows huge growth of small and micro businesses from 2004 to 2011. I guess Peru is doing something right.

http://www.produce.gob.pe/remype/data/mype2011.pdf
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby minos » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Actually, offer benefits to small businesses is not the hard part, if not execution. For example, I live in Trujillo, and here's a eyeglasses store which has branches throughout Peru, but achievement and corrupt the system, because now was placed as Mype.

Achieve short term results, but long-term officials realize who abused their policies, so cut the project completely. Would not surprise me to see "Wong"standing as Mype.

That's why SUNAT you know with whom you are trying to avoid trouble and charged to all alike, and the benefits are just minutiae . So existing corruption is holding back the country's progress

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register