English Premier League Live Football Only on DirecTV?

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

English Premier League Live Football Only on DirecTV?

Postby chelsearob77 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 pm

I was flicking the channels at home today to view the live English Premier League games & only see they was being shown live on the DirecTV sports channel & none on any of the Fox Sports or ESPN sports channels?

Are Fox & ESPN no longer showing live coverage of English Premiership football & now only available on DirecTV here in Peru?

I've recently arranged to change from DirecTV to Claro (as Claro are cheeper & the package includes phone & Internet)
I don't intend on keeping my DirecTV package as they are now far too expensive for my liking, I just want to know if DirecTV now have exclusive rights to show English Premiership football?
If so then it won't be the end of the world, it would just mean I will either have to go our to watch the games or watch online via a live stream

chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: English Premier League Live Football Only on DirecTV?

Postby chelsearob77 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Ok but that's in the United States you are referring too, my question was more to do with the English Premier Leagues live coverage in South America & Peru in particular, well again I today I was watching the Chelsea vs Hull City game & the only channel that was showing the game was one of the DirecTV sports channels (nothing on any of the Fox or ESPN sports channels)

So it looks like DirecTV is now the only way in South America you can watch live English Premier League football, Once I have my Claro TV/Phone/Internet package installed (which is happening tomorrow) & my DirecTV disconnected, I will have to find another way of viewing live English Premiership football (either going to a bar or a live online stream)

But as I'm a Chelsea fan it's only their games I'm more concerned in viewing
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:17 pm

I'm guessing the franchising carries across though. Looks like DirecTV have the tie in with NBC.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4110
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Well it looks like I'm stuck with DirecTV for the time being anyway, as a Claro engineer (if that's what you want to call him) arrived at my apartment this morning to install the Claro TV/Phone/Internet package & they refused to install it!

First thing he said when my wife answered the door to him was he was not sire he could install it, then he went away & returned 15 minutes later saying there would be too much work involved & won't install it! (I think he was trying to hint that we pay him something extra for himself to persuade him)
So we said fine & we would be complaining to Claro regarding them wasting our time when we booked the installation & the engineers negative attitude regarding the installation!

It seemed to me the Claro engineer was more concerned with going off to get his lunch then actually doing any work!

What a waste of time that turned out to be!
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Cancelling DirecTV was one of the more difficult things I ever tried to do as an expat in Lima. It was easier to go get MoviStar home internet with just a passport than it was to cancel DTV. Their constant harassment to resubscribe (even though I was leaving the country) with daily phone calls was unreal. They also take weeks to come pick up the equipment. I was leaving the country in 5 weeks when I had canceled. They never did come to pick up the dish and receivers. I left them with my management office. I couldn't give 2 craps either way, they had just my passport # and no SS#. Anyway consider yourself lucky not having to endure the pain of cancelling DTV.. yet.
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Cancelling DirecTV was one of the more difficult things I ever tried to do as an expat in Lima. It was easier to go get MoviStar home internet with just a passport than it was to cancel DTV. Their constant harassment to resubscribe (even though I was leaving the country) with daily phone calls was unreal. They also take weeks to come pick up the equipment. I was leaving the country in 5 weeks when I had canceled. They never did come to pick up the dish and receivers. I left them with my management office. I couldn't give 2 craps either way, they had just my passport # and no SS#. Anyway consider yourself lucky not having to endure the pain of cancelling DTV.. yet.

I'm not dissatisfied with DirecTV (they are a bit expensive it must br said) but the only reason I was going to be cancelling with them was due to Claros package (which inclued phone & Internet)
But if Claros engineers are too lazy to install in for me, then I will stick with DirecTV & try to find someone that offers a phone/Internet package (I looked into Movistar but they are expensive & charge s/. 150 to install it)

So DirecTV stays & my search for a reasonable priced Internet provider continues :/
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:32 pm

I really liked DirecTV as well. I was one of the first adopters in Lima in 2006. I'm just warning you to prepare yourself for torture if you end up canceling.
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:I really liked DirecTV as well. I was one of the first adopters in Lima in 2006. I'm just warning you to prepare yourself for torture if you end up canceling.

Well when I got DirecTV about a year & half back it was on a six month contract so if & when I do cancel, I won't be in breach of contract so there's not much they could do to stop me really,
I may contact them anyway with the threat of cancelling & maybe they will offer me a better price then I am currently on?
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 pm

Yes they did offer me some promotions when I canceled so that's a good idea. Also they had to send me to 2 or 3 different managers/sales people to approve my cancellation. I explained I'd be leaving the country and so I would not be interested in their offers and they then requested I transfer my service to a friend. It was pretty surreal I had to really be aggressive for them to finally process my cancellation.

Regarding internet, yeah, it aint cheap. Not much you can really do. It's part of living in Peru. I'm back in the US now and pay $66/month for 25Mb which I find expensive. No Fios where I live just Cox cable :(
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Yes they did offer me some promotions when I canceled so that's a good idea. Also they had to send me to 2 or 3 different managers/sales people to approve my cancellation. I explained I'd be leaving the country and so I would not be interested in their offers and they then requested I transfer my service to a friend. It was pretty surreal I had to really be aggressive for them to finally process my cancellation.

Regarding internet, yeah, it aint cheap. Not much you can really do. It's part of living in Peru. I'm back in the US now and pay $66/month for 25Mb which I find expensive. No Fios where I live just Cox cable :(

Yep I think I will get my wife to give them a call telling them we want to cancel to go to another proverder as they charge us too much & see what offers they throw our way?
If DirecTV knock the price down for us then getting a phone/Internet only package with Movistar might workout ok ;)
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:23 am

The Man City vs Newcastle game was on ESPN yesterday afternoon. Excllent 4-0 win, too :) but yes, i think that might just be a Monday thing, who knows. There was definitely nothing on tv on Saturday.

How much is the DTV pack with Premier League footy?
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:The Man City vs Newcastle game was on ESPN yesterday afternoon. Excllent 4-0 win, too :) but yes, i think that might just be a Monday thing, who knows. There was definitely nothing on tv on Saturday.

How much is the DTV pack with Premier League footy?

with the cheapest (about s/. 99 per month i think) you get all the DirecTV sports channels & Fox sports 1 & 2 & ESPN & ESPN+
but they do promotions for new customers, so will probably be less for the first few months ;)

Like i said i am happy with DirecTV (apart from them being a bit pricey) i was only going to be leaving as Claro done a cheaper deal with TV/Phone/Internet included, but as Claro refused to install at my apartment yesterday i will be staying with DirecTV
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:05 pm

For anyone that is interested the Chelsea vs Aston Villa game is being shown live on ESPN+ tomorrow afternoon at 13:45pm I just checked
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:06 pm

You can watch all of the games streaming on the internet.
Martin22

Postby Martin22 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:28 am

Hi, Guys, I want to recommend one good resource with which I am always aware of sports events. Biggest live coverage: results, stats, standings and tournament grids for events around the world. You can follow the English Premier Peru https://777score.com/football/tournaments/peru

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register