WHAT R THEIR OPTIONS???

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

WHAT R THEIR OPTIONS???

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:14 pm

I have two (2) brothers-in-law; they live in a 3rd floor apartment with a very leaky roof.
I met the absentee (not on the premise) landlord & she seemed - OK; until this problem.
The "inside rain" has now caused damage to their desk top computers & she is refusing to fix the roof.

As a consumer advocate in the US; a vast majority of my clients had issues with:
* Used cars - being misrepresented, odometers "rolled back", been used as taxis, etc.
* Landlord/tenant issues - place being in disrepair, security issues (bad doors, windows, etc.).

When the parties ended up in district magistrate court (a lower court judge); the landlords were ordered to make the necessary repairs, never threaten to not return the security deposit (as here) & JAIL TIME!
The lower courts were very aggressive & punitive toward "slum-lord" owners; but what about Peru?

What are their options; this woman owner informs them she will not return the security deposit, until the end of their lease; why not just fix the roof (sounds simple - but some people don't have any empathy).

I am hoping someone can offer these two (2) law-abiding young men; a solution to this problem.
No person should be allowed to take away the "home" of another - a basic need of living.
Apparently Peru has rental owners who have "no conscience" for their guests - SAD SITUATION.

Philip :|

kuranaga
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: WHAT R THEIR OPTIONS???

Postby kuranaga » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:09 pm

yeah it is like this in Peru.... most of the owners offer you completely shitty department (that would be rather a demolition case in any "normal" country around the world) and expect you pay them the money on time but refuse to treat you like their client - fix something? forget it... you have to pay and kiss their ass that they give you their great apartment.... unfortunately this is the mentality.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:24 pm

unfortunately, sometimes you have to just bite the bullit and d.i.y. :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:15 pm

What is "d.i.y."?
Where is "Dirty Harry (a TV tuff guy)" living now???

Philip :roll:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:08 pm

D.I.Y. - Do It Yourself

Speaking of which, if your looking for a "Dirty Harry (A TV tuff guy)" what about using your guy that you mentioned in another post, the guy that "takes care of things for good people" - if you know what I mean..."

Philipc4u59 wrote:How can a faulty O-ring, be the responsibility of the consumer???
"Put the word out" against any merchants that doesn't take responsibility for their NEGLIGENCE!
I am excellent at being "a pain in the ass" when I am right; I am not perfect & will be the first to admit...

PS - don't "hold your breath"; consider another supplier & contacting a person I know that "takes care of things for good people" - if you know what I mean...

Didn't you say he was a "6'4" former Marine," and "very persuasive?" Sounds like a Dirty Harry/TV Tough Guy to me. Sounds like he could also take care of this problem as well -

Philipc4u59 wrote:I have a legal situation where if I have a recorded MULTA against a person who is here on a Work Visa.
I loaned his a substantial amount of money & was assured he had contracts in place - to generate a lot of $.
Either this was all BS, or something drastically changed; I asked him to return my money.

This didn't have to be immediately; but to agree on a repayment schedule; this was as of Feb. 2013.
To date, my money nor a schedule has been submitted to me; I am a "nice" guy - but this is too much.
I am now told he is selling all his personal possessions & planning to return to his country of citizenship.

Well so much for trusting a professional to really act as a professional; lesson learned.
My question is - will Peru detain him if he tries to leave? Is this a reason to deny him access to travel?
Any suggestions, as my legal bills lately have been "sky-high" with the school & coffee business start-ups.

Thank you guys in advance,
Philip :|
PS - it would appear that a hand-shake & personal guarantee of repayment is worthless in Peru; he has no assests (other than personal stuff) that I can attach for payment

Maybe you don't want to go that route and would rather stick to more traditional methods, but if you were willing to contact your person (and announce that you even have such a person) over someone else's problems with a faulty O-ring I wouldn't imagine you having a problem contacting him to persuade your in-laws landlord to fix their roof or take care of your problem with the expat who you loaned a "substantial amount of money" who's about to blow the country. What's the point of having a friend like that, and telling everyone about him, if your not going to put his special skill set to use? Good luck.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:01 am

His mother & father were in a terrible auto accident; he flew back to the US - to be with them.
A person doesn't have to be 6'4" ex-Marine; to influence others - just the use of carefully chosen WORDS!
I once had a 5'0" woman that was very good at collecting debts & overdue rental payments.

Legal & persuasive; the ONLY WAY to proceed in business/personal issues,

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register