American citizen murdered in La Victoria

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: American citizen murdered in La Victoria

Postby falconagain » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:53 pm

This might become a trend if the police does not penalize properly the guilty party.

falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:20 pm

curlyguy18 wrote:
americorps wrote:I have never understood those that feel that we can ONLY talk about our experiences here if we compare them to other countries.

Because they make it sound as if it only happened here (Peru and Latin America) and not in the "first" world.

But everybody in Peru has a right to free opinion (Peruvian Constitution), it does not matter where
you are from.

And as a Peruvian I have every right to say that only happens in Peru because I lived in other countries
to make the comparison.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:48 pm

And as a Peruvian I have every right to say that only happens in Peru because I lived in other countries
to make the comparison.

I am Peeruvian, too and I have lived abroad as well, so just like you falconagain, I can make my own comparisons as well.

We all are entitled to our own opinion, as you said.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:51 pm

I did not say that you were not Peruvian.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Lived in La Victoria, family of 4, each family member was assaulted in some way at least 9 times per year.
Lived in San Miguel, family of 4, each family member was assaulted 3 times a year but there were some
kidnapping attempts.
Lived in San Borja, family of 4, incidents were reduced to 2 per year per person. But 2 of the incidents
were organized crime attacks towards the house, which fortunately failed.

Now all these incidents happened between the late 70s to the late 90s. Can anybody tell me which
normal country has this amount of crime. Maybe some warzones on Afganistan or Iraq.
So it is true, it only happens in Peru.

Now, I came back to visit Peru between 2006 and early 2010. 1 kidnapping attempt and several
attempts of assault. But all that happened without owning a car or an apartment.

So I can say that Peru is indeed a truly uncivilized please for regular people.
The amount of crime that I experienced in earlier years is nothing compared with what people
have to face now.The increase might be of a factor greater than 10.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:02 pm

falconagain wrote:Lived in La Victoria, family of 4, each family member was assaulted in some way at least 9 times per year.
Lived in San Miguel, family of 4, each family member was assaulted 3 times a year but there were some
kidnapping attempts.
Lived in San Borja, family of 4, incidents were reduced to 2 per year per person. But 2 of the incidents

Wow... Unfortunately, this only confirms what I have seen myself during my time in Peru. It really is sad.
WBillSmith

Postby WBillSmith » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Although I've been warned by Peruvian Americans as well as Peruvians about La Victoria, I went anyway for personal reasons. I rented a room, made friends, and got along well while there. I just thank God that I am safe, but I'm really saddened by this news and my heart goes out to Patricia and her family, and other loved ones.
Bill Smith
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:06 am

it is sad news, even worst because of the guy who died was a very good man..
Gg83

Postby Gg83 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:29 pm

He was an awesome guy. It was very easy for me to love him. I just wanted to thank the expat community for all support and donations. Im truely thankful and so its chris' family.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:40 pm

It deeply touches my soul. Life is not right. He fought for his country and survived, he came to Peru for love, to be with his family here. My regrets goes to his family at home and here in Peru.

I also lived in many countries and never came across at what happens in Lima.

I'm here now for 18 months and in the meantime my girl friend has been robbed twice, two of her 3 brothers have been carjacked at gunpoint, German friends of mine have been robbed at gunpoint, two peruvians near Tottus en La Molina have bee robbed at gunpoint, two of my friends have been killed by a criminal driver, some chorros tried to assault a friend of mine in front of his house, two restaurants where I've been many times have been assaulted and one man killed, one peruvian customer has been assaulted in here car.

That is what happened since I'm here in Lima.

That's means we're living in a high crimezone. I don't care if somebody is telling me what is happening in USA, GB or wheresoever, because at the moment I'm living here and I'm concerned about my safety and that of my friends. We can't even talk about what can be done, because we can't do anything, except than trying to use our common sense.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:18 pm

TShadow wrote:I also lived in many countries and never came across at what happens in Lima.

I'm here now for 18 months and in the meantime my girl friend has been robbed twice, two of her 3 brothers have been carjacked at gunpoint, German friends of mine have been robbed at gunpoint, two peruvians near Tottus en La Molina have bee robbed at gunpoint, two of my friends have been killed by a criminal driver, some chorros tried to assault a friend of mine in front of his house, two restaurants where I've been many times have been assaulted and one man killed, one peruvian customer has been assaulted in here car.

Yeah, it is pretty bad. And it isn't just Lima. I never spent much time there, but I spent 2 years in Chimbote and 4 in Trujillo and things are just as bad in these smaller cities. And the worst part is none of these choros will ever get caught because the Peruvian police is pretty much useless.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:29 pm

KenBE wrote: And the worst part is none of these choros will ever get caught because the Peruvian police is pretty much useless.

Personally I agree. I would like to add: They are corrupt to the bones - if you have never personally experienced it you can read it in many Peruvian newspapers...

Nonetheless, in another PE expat group there were really fellows who believed that they could rely on the Peruvian police in case of an emergency...
I do not exclude that SOME may help you but I would neither bet my safety on them nor on the Serenazgo.
If the police comes here in Peru it is nearly always too late.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 pm

First I have to say my condolences go out to his wife and family and second , all of this here told in the post makes me really think twice as a "newbie" if I will continue to work and live here. :?
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 am

Putting a face to this tragedy. So sad....

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Houston- ... 75571.html
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:59 am

tupacperu wrote:Putting a face to this tragedy. So sad....

wow! i have seen this guy several times at Metro on ave.Canada in Santa Catalina. hope the body gets sent back to the family soon. i can imagine what they are going through.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Thank you, Tupacperu, for the link to the article

It seems that the U.S. Embassy here in Lima helps at least with regards to formal and bureaucratic matters.

In this article it was also stated:
“This was a surprisingly violent crime in Lima.”

Unfortunately, when attentively reading the newspapers here in Lima and watching Peruvian news or talking to Limenos one has to come to the conclusion that such crimes are common in Lima.
@Guiri: Even as newbie, however, one should not get paranoid in Lima..but be conscious of safety aspect.

Another passage in said article mentioned:
“We were told (Remark: in the morgue) if they didn't get their money they would dispose of the body”

Unfortunately, this appears to be a sort of “attempted blackmailing” which happens more often. It is at least the third time that I have heard of such method.
Sad.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Again, as Alan posted, there is a site where we can make donations.

http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fundraiser/please-help-bring-christopher-home/85755

If you can afford to spare any extra money, even just $5 or $10 please do so. I also went to the website and shared on my Facebook as should you if possible. Seriously, VA benefits, if he would even be eligible, barely cover enough for a plastic container, let alone repatriation to the US.

gringito wrote:Another passage in said article mentioned:
“We were told (Remark: in the morgue) if they didn't get their money they would dispose of the body”

Unfortunately, this appears to be a sort of “attempted blackmailing” which happens more often. It is at least the third time that I have heard of such method.
Sad.

THIS, if true (which I strongly feel that it is), is absolutely disgusting to me and really has caused me to rethink my living in Peru --- cutting in line is one thing, this is completely a total disrespect to humanity ... and an absolute disgrace on the face of this nation.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm

falconagain wrote:Lived in La Victoria, family of 4, each family member was assaulted in some way at least 9 times per year.
kidnapping attempts.

Now all these incidents happened between the late 70s to the late 90s. Can anybody tell me which
normal country has this amount of crime. Maybe some warzones on Afganistan or Iraq.

Now, I came back to visit Peru between 2006 and early 2010. 1 kidnapping attempt and several
attempts of assault. But all that happened without owning a car or an apartment.

The amount of crime that I experienced in earlier years is nothing compared with what people

Mexico, Nicaragua, Brazil, lots of countries in Africa could also be considered uncivilised under your criteria, falconagain.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:38 pm

gringito wrote:Unfortunately, when attentively reading the newspapers here in Lima and watching Peruvian news or talking to Limenos one has to come to the conclusion that such crimes are common in Lima.

Those crimes are also common in Detroit, LA, New York, Baltimore, Oakland, Cleveland, Flint, Madrid and Athens.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Off topic. We are not talking.about.people
iving in those cities and crime there is not relevant ti lufe.in luma fir expats.

Back to topic....

I knew a guy who had his sewing machines.stole out of his shop. He told the police they were wirth $5000 and the cops said they could guarentee recovery 100% for $2,500.

Police corruption here is out of cobtrol making crime griw fast.

chi chi wrote:
gringito wrote:Unfortunately, when attentively reading the newspapers here in Lima and watching Peruvian news or talking to Limenos one has to come to the conclusion that such crimes are common in Lima.

Those crimes are also common in Detroit, LA, New York, Baltimore, Oakland, Cleveland, Flint, Madrid and Athens.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:24 am

curlyguy18 wrote:
kidnapping attempts.

Mexico, Nicaragua, Brazil, lots of countries in Africa could also be considered uncivilised under your criteria, falconagain.

True and that is the reason why there is a List of places ranked by their level of violence and crime.
The list works as an advisory for civilized people in order to avoid the countries mentioned.
For example in Latin America in order of danger the list on 2012 was:
Mexico city, Lima, Guatemala city, Caracas, Puerto Principe.

Back on 2012 a Peruvian congressman said that our situation is not as bad as Mexico because
in Peru you were mugged but bullets were never involved in the situation. Looks like things have
escalated with this current event, and now Lima will become the #1 most dangerous city in
South America.
"Bueno no clasificamos para la seleccion, pero al menos somos primeros en algo"
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:49 am

Mexico is off my list as a place to vacation or live. I frequented Mexico in the 90s. Now I just do not see putting my life in danger. Very Dangerous place. Recently Malcom X's grandson was murder in a bar.

You think Peru is corrupt?

Prosecutors say Shabazz and a friend were lured into the bar by a young woman who made conversation with Shabazz in English. They were later presented with a bar tab worth $1,200 and a violent dispute ensued.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-575 ... -grandson/
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:47 am

does that in any way shape or form mean the Peruvian police are not corrupt?

tupacperu wrote:Mexico is off my list as a place to vacation or live. I frequented Mexico in the 90s. Now I just do not see putting my life in danger. Very Dangerous place. Recently Malcom X's grandson was murder in a bar.

You think Peru is corrupt?

Prosecutors say Shabazz and a friend were lured into the bar by a young woman who made conversation with Shabazz in English. They were later presented with a bar tab worth $1,200 and a violent dispute ensued.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-575 ... -grandson/
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:38 pm

MarcoPE wrote:
gringito wrote:Another passage in said article mentioned:

Sad.

THIS, if true (which I strongly feel that it is), is absolutely disgusting to me …

Another type of blackmailing happens quite often in hospitals. I could experience it in case of a friend, an old Peruvian woman who lived many years in Europe. She had to undergo an operation of her hip…and, as quite usual here, had to pay the medical costs by herself. The doctor made her a price X and both agreed. When she was nearly on the operation table since things became urgent, the doctor found out that she lived in Europe…and suddenly raised the price about 5000 Soles (!) – otherwise he wouldn’t do anything. BasXXrd!

MarcoPE wrote:… and really has caused me to rethink my living in Peru --- cutting in line is one thing, this is completely a total disrespect to humanity ... and an absolute disgrace on the face of this nation.

Even in the light of such ugly incidents one should not fall into the trap of generalizing that all Peruvians are like that or that everything is bad here in Peru. This is simply not true. Therefore, even though such incidents are tragic, criminal and /or highly immoral one should avoid becoming paranoid or just negative. One can make extremely nice experiences here in Peru. Naturally, at the same time one should not lose sight of reality and stay vigilant.
Just my 2 Cents.
americorps wrote:Police corruption here is out of cobtrol making crime griw fast.

According to my opinion police corruption and the corruption of the justice system is one of the major problems of Peru and the reason why the majority of the Peruvian citizens (and some expats as well ;-) ) do not trust in it.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Things are not looking good as they are only a third of the way to their goal!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:06 am

Alpineprince wrote:Things are not looking good as they are only a third of the way to their goal!

Well, nothing stopping us from digging a little deeper and making a second donation, what goes around comes around, the expat community can have a big heart, here is the link again:

http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fundr ... home/85755
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:43 pm

The news has been spreading around. Even here in Tarapoto, people are talking about the Estado Unidense that got killed by robbers in Lima.
People are shocked to hear that he went to 2 wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, survived and then just got killed on the street in Lima by some robbers. People here in Tarapoto are aware that there's a lot of crime in Lima but didn't think that Lima is can be that bad.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:03 am

My condolences. And I totally agree with Falcon. My kids and myself were several times being robed, assaulted, in danger to be kidnapped and killed ... more you live in Lima, more you understand that there is NO place for a correct and educated people and God save you if you are light skinned and a woman, a child or an elderly ... that's why many Peruvians emigrate if they can or live in the constant fear, caged in their homes. There is an everyday war and the violence, ignorance, corruption are winning. Lima, es a small middle class city, surrounded, sofocated and soon to be killed by very aggressive and very ignorant Pueblos Jovenes.
Sad, very sad.
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:50 pm

It`s been already a month now....any news on this issue?? Any Thugs been picked up??

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register