Quiet Streets in Miraflores

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quiet Streets in Miraflores

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:14 am

We are thinking of moving house and top of our ''want list'' is to have as little noise from the street as possible. We need a street that is really tranquilo, as little traffic as possible and in a nice area. We are only interested in buying a new apartment, either in plans or currently being built.

Which are the very quiestest streets in Miraflores?

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Quiet Streets in Miraflores

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 am

Miraflores is a very busy area and there will be always noise. There are streets that are quieter than the others but there's no guarantee that a quiet street will stay quiet. Suddenly, a few more businesses open up in an otherwise quiet street and there wll be more movimiento.

Expect to hear caralarms all the time in Miraflores. Many people have nice cars in Miraflores and are paranoid that their car get stolen so the put very sensitive alarms in it.
Also try to avoid a place near a traffic light because you will have to listen to carhorns all the time.

You might find a quiet street but that will not mean that you will be bothered by noise as people in Peru love to put the volume of their radios very loud. And love to have loud parties till the early hours.

A way to cut the streetnoise is too install double glazing in your flat and buy a flat on a high floor. Double glazing will cost some money but you can recuperate that by bying a flat on a high floor.
Flats on lower floors are generally more expensive. So the higher you go, the cheaper the price.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 am

Chi Chi,

The higher you go, the more expensive it gets.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:46 am

Lloyd007 wrote:Chi Chi,

The higher you go, the more expensive it gets.

I looked for flats for sale in Magdalena, San Miguel and Pueblo Libre and the flats on the first 3 floors are the most expensive. The ones on the top floor the cheapest.

I other countries it's often the contrary.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:58 am

Mind you, apartments are cheaper on higher floors when there is no lift.
In modern buildings, where there are usually lifts, apartments in higher floors are more expensive because they have less noise, better view, and are obviously in higher demand!
Regards,

Argidd
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Here in Arequipa higher floor = more expensive.

Dont know Miraflores well enough to offer any suggestions but good luck finding your tranquil spot, Lloyd.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 pm

The ground floor is only more expensive if you are getting extra floor space, in the way of internal patio's.
All in all you pay per M2 and, as has been said, top floors especially with a good view will command more money per m2. even in in Magdelena and San Miguel.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Yeah, I think Argidd's right. Apartments are cheaper if there is no lift/elevator, but otherwise, penthouses command a premium. I'm not sure if there is much difference in price in the floors in between.

Going back to Lloyd's original question about quiet streets in Miraflores, I think Chi Chi's more or less right. Even if you're on a back street in Miraflores with no traffic, invariably there'll be some other kind of noise pollution. Although I don't think this isn't unique to Miraflores. I think it's common all over Peru.

I have lived in two lovely apartments with balconies both overlooking parks with no traffic noise, but there were two big problems, dogs and parties. In both buildings there was someone who left their dog out on the balcony while they went to work and the beasts just barked all day. In fact, one of them would bark half the night as well, but it was in the building next door and so it was virtually impossible to do anything about it, as the owner of the dog was on the junta of the other building.

And in summer people who have balconies or roof terraces love to have people over, often just a group of friends, sometimes something bigger, but as Chi Chi says, without decent windows, the noise carries and something as innocent as one apartment with a small group friends talking with a little music in the background on a weekday night can easily become a big annoyance when you've got to work the next day.

Unless you can sleep through noise, I'd suggest looking for an apartment on a busy-ish road - not as busy as la Via Expressa or Prado - I know it's going contrary to expectations, but I find constant traffic flows acts a little like white noise and drowns out household and street noise. I'd also look for a place in the middle of the block, far from traffic lights, where tooting horns are worse, with no balconies and no roof terrace unless the roof terrace is yours and yours alone. You also want to make sure there isn't space in the street for parking, or you will hear car alarms going off at all hours of the day and night.

If you find an apartment in a pretty street with no traffic, I'd suggest going along at random intervals during the day and night to listen for noise pollution, before you buy or sign a lease. I still have flashbacks of sitting on my lovely balcony in the sun only to have my tranquillity ruined by a small yappy dog.
Last edited by Sergio Bernales on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Yes, I agree with Sergio.
We have an apartment on a busy-ish Street, but our apartment overlooks roofs, because we are at the back of the building. We are high enough to have some sort fo view, but don't get the crude honk honk avanza, avanzaaaaa. Yes, you can still hear it, but not so bad.
Regards,

Argidd
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Excellent, thank you for the useful comments, much appreciated.

Those dogs... I daredn't comment what I'd like to do them to shut them up...

Anyway, I digress.

So, any streets in particular (not including the quieter parts of the Malecon, i.e Malecon de la Marina) that anyone can recommend? I am not looking for 5 star living, but something reasonable would be great.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Our apartment is south east from Parque Reducto and that is a veeery quiet zone...actually at the parque Pablo Arguedas is a duplex up for sale or rent ;)
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Guiri wrote:Our apartment is south east from Parque Reducto and that is a veeery quiet zone...actually at the parque Pablo Arguedas is a duplex up for sale or rent ;)

Yeah, that's not far from where I live. That whole area is really nice, although there are still many more houses than apartments. It looks fairly tranquil, too. I often walk home that way in the evening and I don't hear too many dogs or car alarms. Some great restaurants, cafés and supermarkets all in walking distance. I've seen a lot of newly built apartments on the other side of Benavides, particularly on Roca y Bologna, but they're not very tall because of zoning laws, so street noise might still be a problem.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:11 pm

The areas known as "san antonio" and "aurora" are nice and mostly quiet but are IMO too much residential for my taste. If as myself you prefer a "european-latin" feeling (i.e. small houses and buildings, walking distance to all your needs including public transportation) quiet and not a 5* area I would suggest to consider the following square: West boundery(Ave Arequipa), East border(Paseo de la Republica), South (Angamos ave), North (Aramburu). More expensive is the area near Huaca Pucllana.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 pm

I'd recommend streets like Porta, José González, Juan Fanning, Diego Ferré (on the portion southwest of 28 de Julio, west of Larco); I've seen a few buildings there, and it is a very nice area to live in (although some streets may have hostels or little bodegas, but the general feeling of the area is nice).

I saw an apartment on Diego Ferre, just being built, I think it was in the lower $200K, about 90m2.
Regards,

Argidd
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Excellent. Thank you all!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:15 pm

Anything south of Jose Pardo is good especial along francia, madrid, Italia and tripoli. Berlin and galvez aren't as quiet and have more traffic going thru them. Also as mentioned before around Porta behind las terraszas tennis club is also really nice. Things tend to be more noiser north of Jose Pardo.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:
Unless you can sleep through noise, I'd suggest looking for an apartment on a busy-ish road - not as busy as la Via Expressa or Prado - I know it's going contrary to expectations, but I find constant traffic flows acts a little like white noise and drowns out household and street noise. I'd also look for a place in the middle of the block, far from traffic lights, where tooting horns are worse, with no balconies and no roof terrace unless the roof terrace is yours and yours alone. You also want to make sure there isn't space in the street for parking, or you will hear car alarms going off at all hours of the day and night.

You can also avoid street noise if you buy a flat located at the back of the building. Flats with streetview obviously suffer from streetnoise.

Avoid living in a street with a bus route. Some buses and combis don't seem to have an exhaust.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 am

Just living in an Apartment you subject yourself to noise. We lived on Calle Santa Isabel, Miraflores On a very quiet street down from the Restaurant name Central ( Restaurante Central) and the Trattoria. Italian Restaurant in Miraflores. Av. Armendariz. The streets were quiet during the day, but the level of traffic was horrible in the evening. On the other side across from the Iglesia Fatima there was a mansion where weddings and events were held. The noise from the parties and the traffic drove us crazy. I began sleeping during the day and working through the night it had gotten so bad. This is a residential neighborhood, but the Restaurante Central was caught up in a legal battle with the Municipality of Miraflores, they had shut them down for building a restaurant in a residential zone without a license. Somehow, after pay-offs and kick backs they opened up again to a mountain of traffic and noise. The father of the chef is a big time lawyer in Lima and skirted the zoning laws.

Miraflores is not a place for tranquility. I have had more tranquility on the back street apt of Pueblo Libre.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 am

tupacperu wrote:Miraflores is not a place for tranquility. I have had more tranquility on the back street apt of Pueblo Libre.

Miraflores is a very commercial and busy area. Similar to La Victoria and Callao. So a l
Miraflores is also a tourist area so obviously there are many nightclubs, bars and tourists that hang out on the streets all night.
Tourist travel to and from the airport 24h a day. So, at lot of taxis and buses and a lot of VA VA VOOM.

And drunk backpackers sing and yell at the street whilst walking back to the hostel.

If you like tranquility then it's better to live in Magdalena Del Mar, San Miguel (not at Av. La Marina), Pueblo Libre, La Perla.

My gf her family lives in Villa El Salvador and they never have any problems with noise and they only live 1/2 a block from a busy Avenue. But neighboors have more respect for each other over there.

Or if you can't stand any noise at all then move to La Punta De Callao. Mostly old folks live there and there are no nightclubs, large businesses, late night bars, supermarkets and very little traffic. But it will get boring there after a while.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 am

chi chi wrote:
tupacperu wrote:Miraflores is not a place for tranquility. I have had more tranquility on the back street apt of Pueblo Libre.

Miraflores is a very commercial and busy area. Similar to La Victoria and Callao. So a l
Miraflores is also a tourist area so obviously there are many nightclubs, bars and tourists that hang out on the streets all night.
Tourist travel to and from the airport 24h a day. So, at lot of taxis and buses and a lot of VA VA VOOM.

And drunk backpackers sing and yell at the street whilst walking back to the hostel.

If you like tranquility then it's better to live in Magdalena Del Mar, San Miguel (not at Av. La Marina), Pueblo Libre, La Perla.

My gf her family lives in Villa El Salvador and they never have any problems with noise and they only live 1/2 a block from a busy Avenue. But neighboors have more respect for each other over there.

Or if you can't stand any noise at all then move to La Punta De Callao. Mostly old folks live there and there are no nightclubs, large businesses, late night bars, supermarkets and very little traffic. But it will get boring there after a while.

Perhaps that's true that it is quieter in Villa El Salvador, but my experience of those districts is there tend to be more barking dogs, especially in houses or businesses where they're locked up and kept as guard dogs just as much as pets.
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Or, you can try and take care of the problem yourself. Earplugs have saved me many a night's sleep all over the world.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RxdYynsAL.jpg

The 33 dP rating is about the highest you can get at this point in time.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:35 pm

My name is Fanning for some reason. I like living in this particular street.. It is very close to Larcomar, the center of Miraflores, but it is a very residential neighborhood. Actually I live right in front of my (hotel) competition, and their guests sometimes wake me in the morning, but as I live of tourism, I don't care.. Even a more quiet street is Ocharan, but it is a more smelly street, as people like to have their dog litter the street, but I would say it is the most traffic low street in the area.

I used to live right in front of the Panamericana in a bigger house, with a pool, but living in Miraflores is way more comfortable, close to everything (including my job, the same block ... =) I like my house with a garden, playtools for my children, and just 3 blocks from Club Terrazas, with a nicely heated swimmingpool.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Lloyd, our of curiosity, or nosiness, how's the search going? Have you developed any opinions on good streets or districts?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:32 am

fanning wrote:I used to live right in front of the Panamericana in a bigger house, with a pool, but living in Miraflores is way more comfortable.

Probably less smog too.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:35 pm

One has to take chichis advive wuth a grain of salt as.he has a habit if over generalizing, stereotyping and adding facts that are not real. Of.course.there are plenty of parts of miraflorea with quiet streets. My favorite is the zone between via expresa and.arequipa between aramburu and domingo orue (of course not facing.the.highway) are very quiet. The people in this area are older and many have lived here.for decades. You don't hear many dogs.

There are many.streets in miraflores that are tranquil.

However there are many more in san borja and by and large there is lower crime slightly lower prices but great access to shopping restaurants and services.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:Hi Lloyd, our of curiosity, or nosiness, how's the search going? Have you developed any opinions on good streets or districts?

Thank you all for your input. We are taking our time to look in many different areas and won't move until late next year at the earliest.

I can't believe the asking prices. Absurd sums of money. In the UK I'd get a semi detached house, 3 beds, front and back gardens! Here it is just a reasonbly small apartment! Amazing how things have changed over the last 9 years in Lima.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:37 am

Lloyd007 wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:Hi Lloyd, our of curiosity, or nosiness, how's the search going? Have you developed any opinions on good streets or districts?

Thank you all for your input. We are taking our time to look in many different areas and won't move until late next year at the earliest.

I can't believe the asking prices. Absurd sums of money. In the UK I'd get a semi detached house, 3 beds, front and back gardens! Here it is just a reasonbly small apartment! Amazing how things have changed over the last 9 years in Lima.

Yes, that has been my complaint. I was about to buy a 100M2 apartment in Miraflores (Duplex) for $105K in 2007. But I opted to go to the provinces for a steal (Casona), 210M2 for $13K, a lot of renovation work, but I was not willing to pay for a mortgage in LIma as compared to buying cash.

I want to try to invest in Lima but it is too expensive now. I opted out of Lima again in 2011, We bought a home in Phoenix, AZ 3078 Sqft/5 bedroom for $160K (not in the boonies) not far from the airport. Still waiting for that Apartment in Lima, should the boom go bust.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 pm

tupacperu wrote: I was about to buy a 100M2 apartment in Miraflores (Duplex) for $105K in 2007.

I want to try to invest in Lima but it is too expensive now. I opted out of Lima again in 2011, We bought a home in Phoenix, AZ 3078 Sqft/5 bedroom for $160K (not in the boonies) not far from the airport. Still waiting for that Apartment in Lima, should the boom go bust.

Nowadays, you pay $105000 for a 3 bed flat in Magdalena Del Mar. In 2009 you could buy the same flat for $40000.
I thought of buying one back then but as I just arrived in Peru wasn't sure how things will work out, I decided to wait.

I don't think that the boom will go bust soon. Compared to other Latin American capitals, housing in Lima is still cheaper. There's a shortage of accomodation in Lima and the average income keeps rising.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 am

Prices in many districts in Lima seem to have levelled off at the moment, but that doesn't necessarily mean bad times are on the way. Supply is constricted in Lima and demand is high, although a lot of demand can't be met because many people have been priced out of the market.

As has been mentioned, markets tend to overshoot, so the chances of a price correction in Lima are probably strongest when nobody believes it's going to happen. As everybody's talking about it happening and there are no really dark clouds over the economy, I wouldn't expect prices to drop, or at least by any significant amount, for the foreseeable future. I think only something truly disastrous, economical or political, is going to lower house prices at the moment. Good luck to everyone looking to buy.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:Good luck to everyone looking to buy.

The other side effect of high real estate prices is that rentals are going up in the middle class districts of Lima.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register