Travelling to Iquitos by boat

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Travelling to Iquitos by boat

Postby chi chi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Did anyone travel to Iquitos by boat? What was your experience.

I am thinking of doing that trip but I would like to hear some travel experiences.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Travelling to Iquitos by boat

Postby caliguy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

it takes longer than going by bus. do you enjoy boat travel? do you get motion sickness? just a few things you need to ponder when travelling via water.
btw, i liked it when travelling through Iquitos. very tranquil.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Wasn't it there where Gastón Acurio & family plus others were robbed? I've Heard it's gotten dangerous between narcoterrorism and other lowlife scum.
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 pm

argidd wrote:Wasn't it there where Gastón Acurio & family plus others were robbed? I've Heard it's gotten dangerous between narcoterrorism and other lowlife scum.

I heard about that story but he was travelling on one of those luxury river cruises.
It wasn't on an overcrowded vessel full of locals and backpackers.

But yes, I heard that it's isn't luxurious. Sleeping in a hammock for 3 days, getting bad food but what would you expect for 100 soles?
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 am

I only did from Yurimaguas to Lagunas (Pacaya Samiria Reserve), which is a 12 hours' trip and thought it extremely relaxing: reading, sleeping in my hammock, enjoying the river views, talking with fellow travellers.
OK, only twelve hours but I was not bored for one minute.

For the food: the meal which was served was simple (rice with some kind of stew), but I brought some extra food (empanadas, "tres leches" and chifles) and drink (wine + glas :P ) to make everything "more comfortable".. :lol: ..

I hope to go back to Lagunas/Pacaya Samiria in the next few weeks and am considering, after my "exploration" of the Pacaya Samiria reserve, to travel on by boat to Iquitos, instead of going back to Yurimaguas.
limaclub

Postby limaclub » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi ChiChi
One of the most popular ways of getting to Iquitos by boat is from Yurimaguas which is only 2 hours by bus from Tarapoto.

Most boats have the cabin option if you want to travel in a little more comfort than just sleeping in a hammock on deck. It is advised to take your own cutlery and plate as not all boats will provide this. A blanket may come in helpful too as it can get surprisingly nippy on deck at night.

Expect to wait also as a boat will not leave port until it is totally booked up with cargo or paying travellers. If you wish to travel onwards from Iquitos to Equador or Brasil you will need to complete all visa work in Iquitos.
Saludos,

South American Explorers,
956 Enrique Palacios,
Miraflores,
Lima 18.
Tel: 01 447 7731

http://www.saexplorers.org

Open: Mon-Fri: 0930 – 1700 (Weds: 2000); Sat: 0930 - 1300
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 pm

One of the most popular ways of getting to Iquitos by boat is from Yurimaguas which is only 2 hours by bus from Tarapoto.

I was not aware that there is a bus service between Tarapoto and Yurimaguas. But I think it highly impossible that the trip by bus only takes two hours.

I did the trip a couple of times by (shared) taxi and yes, that took two hours.
But the drivers drove more or less like rally drivers to make it within those two hours.
But a bus.....?
limaclub

Postby limaclub » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:04 pm

yep just double checked with another staff member and it`s around a 2 hour drive sorry, not a 2 hour bus trip. My mistake.
Saludos,

South American Explorers,
956 Enrique Palacios,
Miraflores,
Lima 18.
Tel: 01 447 7731

http://www.saexplorers.org

Open: Mon-Fri: 0930 – 1700 (Weds: 2000); Sat: 0930 - 1300
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 pm

limaclub wrote:yep just double checked with another staff member and it`s around a 2 hour drive sorry, not a 2 hour bus trip. My mistake.

The driving distance also depends on the weather and the other traffic. Many trucks travel this route and if you are stuck behind a slow truck then the trip might take much longer. Because of the bends, it's hard to take over the trucks.
I once went by motorbike to Yurimaguas and the trip took me almost 4 hours. We got stuck behind a truck and the last hours we had to drive trough heavy rain.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 pm

The driving distance also depends on the weather and the other traffic. Many trucks travel this route and if you are stuck behind a slow truck then the trip might take much longer. Because of the bends, it's hard to take over the trucks.
I once went by motorbike to Yurimaguas and the trip took me almost 4 hours. We got stuck behind a truck and the last hours we had to drive trough heavy rain.

Of course we are talking about normal circumstances.
But that you are hardly or not able to pass a truck on this road means to my opinion that you are an over careful driver.
Although the road is quite winding, there are lots and lots of places were you can overtake, with a car and certainly with a motorbike, trucks or other slower traffic.
Especially on the second part (direction Yurimaguas) where you leave the hills and mountains behind you......
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:53 pm

JanD wrote:Of course we are talking about normal circumstances.
But that you are hardly or not able to pass a truck on this road means to my opinion that you are an over careful driver.
Although the road is quite winding, there are lots and lots of places were you can overtake, with a car and certainly with a motorbike, trucks or other slower traffic.
Especially on the second part (direction Yurimaguas) where you leave the hills and mountains behind you......

Right, from Pongo to Yurimaguas, the road is flat and there are less bends. From there on, it's no problem to overtake other vehicles. But it's no longer necessary from there as the trucks can drive much quicker.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:07 am

It becomes a bit nitty gritty :wink: , but I said:
"Although the road is quite winding, there are lots and lots of places were you can overtake, with a car and certainly with a motorbike, trucks or other slower traffic"
referring to the first part.

And yes the second part is easier and I think that a motorcycle goes "a bit faster" :? than a truck.....
Anyway my taxi kept on overtaking trucks and other slower traffic, to get to Yurimaguas within the two hours the claimed before leaving Tarapoto :roll: .
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:54 pm

JanD wrote:It becomes a bit nitty gritty :wink: , but I said:
"Although the road is quite winding, there are lots and lots of places were you can overtake, with a car and certainly with a motorbike, trucks or other slower traffic"
referring to the first part.

And yes the second part is easier and I think that a motorcycle goes "a bit faster" :? than a truck.....
Anyway my taxi kept on overtaking trucks and other slower traffic, to get to Yurimaguas within the two hours the claimed before leaving Tarapoto :roll: .

Sure, but I like to take my time and enjoy watching the scenery. Anyway, those slow big trucks often are usefull when it rains. I drive behind them with my motorbike and keep a few meters distance. Because of the draft, the few meters behind the trucks stay dry.
miaperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby miaperu » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 pm

I did this trip three yrs ago from Piura with a direct bus to Yurimaguas, only for the hardened! Once in Yurimaguas it was easy to book the boat the same morning as you board. Dept. is at 9am is but boat doesn't leave on time, two hrs late, but who is in a rush?! The price was some 100 soles for hammock space, the coolest way to travel. Once did Belem to Manaus this way for 6 nights and slept like a baby. However on the way to Iquitos we got stuck on a sandback for 12hrs... 12hrs of fishing for me... no worries!!! The closest town with road access is 2hrs by road from Iquitos but 9 by boat... worth staying on the boat for free nihht and you actually pay the complete journey...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:23 pm

miaperu wrote:Once did Belem to Manaus this way for 6 nights and slept like a baby.

How was the boat on that trip. Similar than the one from Yurimaguas to Iquitos? And what was the fare?
miaperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby miaperu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Chichi. The fare was 45$us including food and hammock space. One great difference was that there was a bar on the 3rd deck open 12 hrs serving frozen polar and brahma beers!! No alcohol allowed on yuri to iquitos!!!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register