Penalty for overstaying visa

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
sarahinperu

Penalty for overstaying visa

Postby sarahinperu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Does anyone know if you overstay your tourist visa (for 50 days) and pay the 1$ per day fine, apon returning to Peru will you have any problems entering the country?

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Penalty for overstaying visa

Postby argidd » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:12 am

No, you don't have any problems, either returning or changing your status later on.
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:00 pm

After paying the fine, you won't have any problems when you come back. Make sure that they give you a receipt of payment. Just in case.

50 days isn't a lot either. Some people overstayed for years and got no problem getting back.
sarahinperu

Postby sarahinperu » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Ok, thanks so much!! Yeah, i´m so happy I don´t have to border hop in that case!!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:08 pm

the answers are not quite correct.

the better answer is GENERALLY you will not have any problem, you just pay the fine and thats it, and for most people, most of the time, that is true.

HOWEVER,

There are more and more examples of people who do that and when they return to the country, while I have never heard of them being rejected, they are given fewer days and questioned at the borders. This is rare and usually you can talk your way out of it, but I think it is important to be prepared, just in case.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:46 am

You make a good point. As anything in Peru, it depends on what mood the immigrations officer is in.

About getting less time, it's not necessarily related to whether you overstayed or not. If you have several visits a year, they do tend to decrease the amount of days everytime you come in, at least at Jorge Chavez, I don't know how the borders work.
Regards,

Argidd
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:03 am

When you overstay they put a big stamp in your passport so it is pretty visible. This along with multiple entries might cause you some issues, or it might not. Let us know what happens!
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:50 am

sbaustin wrote:When you overstay they put a big stamp in your passport so it is pretty visible. This along with multiple entries might cause you some issues, or it might not. Let us know what happens!

Are you sure they stamp your passport at all? When I overstayed 11 days back in 2010 they didn't even bother to give me the receipt even though I asked for it. The lady just told me they didn't issue receipts for this type of "misdemeanor" and put the regular "salida" stamp in my passport. I've never had any problem entering Peru since then. I don't believe the procedure changed now.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:55 am

argidd wrote:You make a good point. As anything in Peru, it depends on what mood the immigrations officer is in.

About getting less time, it's not necessarily related to whether you overstayed or not. If you have several visits a year, they do tend to decrease the amount of days everytime you come in, at least at Jorge Chavez, I don't know how the borders work.

I agree. It all depends on the immigration officer. I only got 7 days once, but then the next time I entered Peru they gave me 183 days again. In general though, overstaying is not a big deal in Peru.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 pm

mammamia wrote:Are you sure they stamp your passport at all? When I overstayed 11 days back in 2010 they didn't even bother to give me the receipt even though I asked for it. The lady just told me they didn't issue receipts for this type of "misdemeanor" and put the regular "salida" stamp in my passport. I've never had any problem entering Peru since then. I don't believe the procedure changed now.

Immigration must give you a receipt. Also when you go to Breña, they give you a receipt for whatever transaction.
For sure, she has put the money in her own pocket.
28 de julio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 28 de julio » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:15 pm

americorps wrote:the answers are not quite correct.

the better answer is GENERALLY you will not have any problem, you just pay the fine and thats it, and for most people, most of the time, that is true.

HOWEVER,

There are more and more examples of people who do that and when they return to the country, while I have never heard of them being rejected, they are given fewer days and questioned at the borders. This is rare and usually you can talk your way out of it, but I think it is important to be prepared, just in case.

That seems to mirror my last trip. I overstayed by 105 days, paid a fine, got a receipt, they put a big red stamp in my passport for the overstay and when I returned the following day, the immigration officer would only give me 90 days. I asked for 183, but she said that as I'd come back the following day and had already overstayed, she would only give me 90. I don't know if her in interpretation is correct, but that's what happened.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:41 pm

mammamia wrote:Are you sure they stamp your passport at all? When I overstayed 11 days back in 2010 they didn't even bother to give me the receipt even though I asked for it. The lady just told me they didn't issue receipts for this type of "misdemeanor" and put the regular "salida" stamp in my passport. I've never had any problem entering Peru since then. I don't believe the procedure changed now.

In the past, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, they put a large stamp in your passport indicating an overstay as indicated by 28 del julio. Did you hand money to the officer? If so, then they just pocketed it and let you out normally.

It is a bit of a scarlet letter especially when you come back the next time.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:04 pm

sbaustin wrote:

In the past, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, they put a large stamp in your passport indicating an overstay as indicated by 28 del julio. Did you hand money to the officer? If so, then they just pocketed it and let you out normally.

It is a bit of a scarlet letter especially when you come back the next time.

The officer stamped my passport and then took me to a lady sitting at the table next to immigration counters. She counted the days using a funny technique (drawing columns on a piece of paper), I paid the fine and asked for a receipt. She pretended not to understand my request and wished me a good flight. That was it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register