Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Ica
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby Ica » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:06 pm

My wife is Peruvian and I am not. We presently live in Peru, but will be required to leave and live abroad less than a year from now. Does anyone know of a way a Peruvian Resident can reside outside Peru for longer than six months (for example, two years without returning to Peru for more than one week each year, if that), and not lose the residency? Naturalization is not an option. Appreciated!


argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby argidd » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Ica, that is not a possibility. You would have to reside for at least 6 consecutive months in Peru per year, which I understand is not an option.

When you give up residency, you can do the paperwork again after coming back; that will not be a problem.
Regards,

Argidd
Ica
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:50 pm

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby Ica » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Thank you argidd! Do you know if any time spent as a resident would count toward the two years required for naturalization in the future? For example, if I spent 8 months as a resident before having to leave and returned 10 later, would the 8 months count at that time only requiring me to obtain 16 more?
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:05 pm

I believe it has to be 2 consecutive years.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby argidd » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:47 am

Hey Ica, you are welcome! Marco is right. You have to live for 2 consecutive years, at least, in order to be eligible to apply for naturalization.
Regards,

Argidd
User avatar
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby captcosmic » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:07 pm

My wife is a Peruvian also and has lived in the states for three years, almost. Her DNI lists her residence as Florida. Is there some special reason she would want her residency to still be her home in Lima and not the US on her DNI?
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby argidd » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Well, if she's going to vote (mandatory in Peru) she will have to change it to her Lima address. Also, in some Municipal things, or if you guys will buy property, it will be best for her to put her real residency. It is relatively no-hassle paperwork. I strongly suggest she updates it.
Regards,

Argidd
User avatar
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby captcosmic » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:10 pm

argidd wrote:Well, if she's going to vote (mandatory in Peru) she will have to change it to her Lima address. Also, in some Municipal things, or if you guys will buy property, it will be best for her to put her real residency. It is relatively no-hassle paperwork. I strongly suggest she updates it.


Since she has the US as her residence, she only has to vote in presidential elections, or face a fine. If she had her residence in peru she would have to return to vote for all local elections or be fined. So she chose the first. At least that is how she understood it as the embassy here explained it.
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby sbaustin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:00 pm

MarcoPE wrote:I believe it has to be 2 consecutive years.


Just so that isn't confusing to others, do you mean 2 consecutive years living in Peru as a resident (without leaving) or 2 consecutive years of being a resident?
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby argidd » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:15 pm

captcosmic wrote:
argidd wrote:Well, if she's going to vote (mandatory in Peru) she will have to change it to her Lima address. Also, in some Municipal things, or if you guys will buy property, it will be best for her to put her real residency. It is relatively no-hassle paperwork. I strongly suggest she updates it.


Since she has the US as her residence, she only has to vote in presidential elections, or face a fine. If she had her residence in peru she would have to return to vote for all local elections or be fined. So she chose the first. At least that is how she understood it as the embassy here explained it.


I'm sorry, I guess I figured your question went toward you guys moving back to Lima (or, Peru). But if you continue to live in the US, then it makes no sense to change it. Bottom line, DNI should state the actual, current place where you live.
Regards,

Argidd
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby argidd » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:16 pm

sbaustin wrote:
MarcoPE wrote:I believe it has to be 2 consecutive years.


Just so that isn't confusing to others, do you mean 2 consecutive years living in Peru as a resident (without leaving) or 2 consecutive years of being a resident?


It's 2 consecutive years of being a resident. You may have left Peru, but it should not have been for more than 6 months.
Regards,

Argidd
User avatar
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Re: Maintaining Peruvian Residency Abroad

Postby captcosmic » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:17 pm

argidd wrote:
captcosmic wrote:
argidd wrote:Well, if she's going to vote (mandatory in Peru) she will have to change it to her Lima address. Also, in some Municipal things, or if you guys will buy property, it will be best for her to put her real residency. It is relatively no-hassle paperwork. I strongly suggest she updates it.


Since she has the US as her residence, she only has to vote in presidential elections, or face a fine. If she had her residence in peru she would have to return to vote for all local elections or be fined. So she chose the first. At least that is how she understood it as the embassy here explained it.


I'm sorry, I guess I figured your question went toward you guys moving back to Lima (or, Peru). But if you continue to live in the US, then it makes no sense to change it. Bottom line, DNI should state the actual, current place where you live.


We did understand one thing about being a peruvian living in the exterior. If you sell property the government charges you 30%. Has anyone else heard this or know about it?

Joe

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register