US Visa explained (slightly) -- 80% rejected

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
cetina05

Re: US Visa explained (slightly) -- 80% rejected

Postby cetina05 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:52 am

Well the thing is im a missionary here in peru, and im on a very thight budget, so i want to avoid spending all the money I can....

My original plan was to go to Ecuador and stay over there, its like $15 dollars a night. (not bad)

But after counting the cost of bus fare, food, and hostel for about 3-4 traveling It would add up to maybe about $200-ish give or take....

So like I said, I would rather just pay the $30 fine and go on into America....

cetina05

Postby cetina05 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:53 am

Kelly wrote:While technically it is possible that they could refuse to let you back in, I've never heard of it happening to anyone. i wouldn't worry about it.

hey you say that you never heard of that happening.... Tell me, have you heard of people that had to pay fines, bc they over stayed, and then CAME BACK into Peru????
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:58 am

This board is filled with stories like that.

Before I got my carnet, I overstyed 300 days, paid and came back. I know more than a dozen people personally who have done it.

Many have been questioned about it coming back and some will get few than the max days, but I know of no one who has overstayed, paid the fine, left and been refused return.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Just to back up what Americorps said.. I personally overstayed several times, paid the fine and never had trouble re-entering. Many people on this forum have done so.

I've never heard of anyone having any troubles at the airport when re-entering; although I have heard people mention getting a hard time when crossing over a land border, they've always been allowed entry. What kind of visa do you have?
cetina05

Postby cetina05 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 pm

That's a relief to hear....

At this moment I have a tourist visa.... Which expires Feb. 20th....

But not planning to leave Peru to the States till Around March 14th....

I know I'll have to pay a fine... that's not a problem...
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:46 pm

In interest of not raising my blood pressure, I won't read or answer in the immigration debate that has sprung up here :)

I would like to comment on the original topic: getting visas for a Peruvian.

According to immigration guidelines, an American citizen has a RIGHT to bring their spouse to the states at any time. I have never heard of anyone being pressured to apply for residency and I know MANY AMericans married to Peruvians that live here and the spouse simply has a 10 year tourist visa.

I know that when my BF went for his visa, he was behind 10 people in a row who were denied and then he was given a 10 year tourist visa. There was no formula--we did all the paperwork but he was still 25, single, with no property or significant income-- so honestly we just prayed a lot for favor and were overwhelmingly blessed that we got it. Of course, if we ever live in the states he will get residency once we are married. I know it is stressful and even painfully expensive process (sometimes emotionally painful) and know many people who have been rejected...but then again, it's just not all that easy to know who is "honest" about their intention to return to Peru.

Martha
Xibalba

Re:

Postby Xibalba » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 pm

US immigration is a political red herring, in my opinion. The benefits of immigration to the US far outweigh the negatives. Every society on the brink of its collapse finds a scapegoat segment of the population to blame for its problems, and in the US, now that the economy is collapsing and being taken over by China, the easiest scapegoat are brown people who do not speak English. There are problems with drugs and related crime along the border, but in general immigrants come to the US to work and invest in the economy. The notion of enforcing "law and order" is only invoked when it suits the government; white collar crime far outweighs immigration problems in its costs to the economy and affects on average US taxpayers, but we focus on imprisoning hispanic immigrants over white collar criminals. Even the Arizona law to jail any brown-skinned "immigrant looking" person without papers was written by a private company that builds and operates prisons, but they needed a new law in order to fill the prisons with inmates, and thus make money.

The US often uses "terrorism" as another excuse to seal the Mexican border, and to defend invading Iraq and Afghanistan, ignoring the fact that the terrorists came from SAUDI ARABIA and moved through the CANADIAN border, yet there is not work on sealing the northern border or invading Saudi Arabia.

Red herrings.

The real problem is that the US is no longer a democracy (if it ever was) but a plutocracy.

Flame on.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Just a little heads up - the vast majority of this thread is from February of last year, not a current discussion.
cetina05

Postby cetina05 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Kelly wrote:Just a little heads up - the vast majority of this thread is from February of last year, not a current discussion.

EXACTLY........
Peace2009
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Peace2009 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 am

This thread is very interesting. The U.S consulate staff are actually, in my opinion, a lot friendlier than most immigration officials from other countries. The office of DIGEMIN in Peru is much much nastier towards its applicants. When I apply for my visa in the U.S embassy they usually ask me a few normal questions for about 2 minutes and grant me the visa. Never a difficult question was asked.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register