Complicated Question, Please Help -!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Complicated Question, Please Help -!

Postby danjaker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:27 am

Ok,
I am an American Citizen here in Peru. I am also a Colombian resident, I have a Colombian Carnet.

Now, I came in last year and asked for 183 days, he gave it to me, after 6 months I went to Colombia for a week and came backto Peru, when I did, I asked again for 183 days, but the officer said nothing, on the white paper he wrote what looked like "Ano" (year) nothing else, and on the stamp in my passport he wrote a little scribble, that says nothing at all, maybe it says ano I dont know, but there are no numbers..

Does anyone know what this means? Does it have anything to do with me being a Colombian resident.....? Now, this was last Septemeber, so I am afraid if I leave soon to come back in, maybe they wont let me back in, I have no idea, because I live here now.

I do not have a Peruvian Carnet, nor do I plan on marrying my girlfriend, and my job is not a formal job.

What does this mean, what should I do... Im lost, when I do leave on vacation I dont want issues re-entering Peru, and I prefer not to be illegal here, although its common...... Thanks

I attached a photo of what the immigration officer wrote on my entry stamp... the bottom right stamp -----

********* I just added a photo of the white paper below ------
Attachments
10154746_593171900779232_2060944898_n.jpg
10154746_593171900779232_2060944898_n.jpg (54.04 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
Last edited by danjaker on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Complicated Question, Please Help -!

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:07 am

Looking at the photo, I don't think (and doubt) that it says "año" - though it is a little difficult to read, I'd almost bet money it says "100" ....
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:09 am

MarcoPE wrote:Looking at the photo, I don't think (and doubt) that it says "año" - though it is a little difficult to read, I'd almost bet money it says "100" ....

Yea, it does not say ano in the passport, on the white paper it did, well, thats all it looked like. Now, in my passport, if you look at it closely (sorry you cant with the picture) but it does not look like 100 either, but either way, they wouldnt give 100 days, its such an odd number to give.....
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Go to the immigrations office in Brena and ask them. They are the only ones that can clear it up.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Weird... I got 1 week (7 dias) once when the immigration officer was in a bad mood. Wasn't much of a problem though. I overstayed and paid $1 per day when I left several months later (yes, I know this is risky and far from ideal). Three months after that I came back to Peru and asked the immigrations guy for 180 days in an extremely polite way and I got them without a problem. It is all so random...
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 pm

I just found the white paper they give you when you come in... it clearly says "ano" (year) .. so, we are gonna go to immigration just to clarify. Peru is partnered with Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia as part of this Andean Partnership, so Im guessing me being a Colombian resident has something to do with a year visa here.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:10 pm

KenBE wrote:Weird... I got 1 week (7 dias) once when the immigration officer was in a bad mood.

I got 10 days once ... and 7 days once but mostly 60's, 90's, 183, etc... but I never asked for a certain amount because it always worked with my time schedule...

danjaker wrote:it clearly says "ano"

well, if it clearly says ano and not año maybe he was trying to say something else ... :lol:

Joking aside, this would be good info to have on the site so please keep us updated.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:51 pm

They don't put in the computer how many days they give you. They write on your stamp. You can easily write over it. Often they didn't wirte anything on my stamp so I suggest it's 183 days.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:54 pm

chi chi wrote:You can easily write over it.

Are you really suggesting he commits an act of fraud? You never cease to amaze me chi chi!

chi chi wrote:Often they didn't wirte anything on my stamp

Interesting...because in my current and previous passports I have many stamps for Peru and not a single one is blank...some are hard to read, yes...but not one stamp is without a number of days written on it...

chi chi wrote: so I suggest it's 183 days.

I downloaded the photo and opened it in Photoshop and enlarged it, to everyone here in my household it looked like 100; if I look at it long enough, the last number starts to look like a 3, so I have surmised it is either 100 days, 103 days (now THAT would be odd!), or 183 days with a very poorly written 8 in the middle...
As for the other paper with the "ano" on it, I am assuming that is the TAM and have no idea why the two would differ. Though it would have been nice to see an image of that part too.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 am

MarcoPE wrote:I downloaded the photo and opened it in Photoshop and enlarged it, to everyone here in my household it looked like 100; if I look at it long enough, the last number starts to look like a 3, so I have surmised it is either 100 days, 103 days (now THAT would be odd!), or 183 days with a very poorly written 8 in the middle...
As for the other paper with the "ano" on it, I am assuming that is the TAM and have no idea why the two would differ. Though it would have been nice to see an image of that part too.

Peruvian immigration is cool. They aren't that nitty gritty like in some other countries.

Even if he only got 30 days and leaves after 183 days, he might get away without paying a fine because he can explain to migraciones that he thought he could stay 183 days. Especially as he explains that he couldn't read the stamp.
I think that the amount of days the give you depends on whether they like your face or not.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 am

Well, looking at it another way, if you cannot decifer what it says, then no way the exit immigration agent will be able to do so either. So then you have no problem. They will be unable know how many days and will just stamp you out.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:53 am

chi chi wrote:They don't put in the computer how many days they give you. They write on your stamp. You can easily write over it. Often they didn't wirte anything on my stamp so I suggest it's 183 days.

"Often they didn't wirte anything on my stamp". I do not believe you.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:25 am

chi chi wrote:I think that the amount of days the give you depends on whether they like your face or not.

Yeah, this is 100% correct :D
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:36 am

i am sure i have seen somewhere that if they just initial the stamp and do not write how many days
that it is valid for 183 days
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Here is a picture of the TMI - or the white paper that should say the same thing as the passport stamp -
Attachments
ggyyg.JPG
ggyyg.JPG (49.8 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby roddd » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:01 pm

i think it looks like immigration has initialed it
they either initial it which can mean 183 days
or write the number of days on it
still best to get it checked though to be sure
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:24 pm

danjaker wrote:Here is a picture of the TMI - or the white paper that should say the same thing as the passport stamp -

It says very clearly '90'. I don't get why you don't read that on the TAM ? It doesn't in any way say año, or ano.
It says 90, written quickly.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:26 pm

Just lay your TAM and your passport stamp in the sun. In a week, what has been written on it will disappear and your can write 183 on it yourself.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:35 pm

fanning wrote:It says very clearly '90'. I don't get why you don't read that on the TAM ? It doesn't in any way say año, or ano.

Yes, I think Fanning is spot on - that was the first thing I saw too when I looked at the photo of the TAM. I certainly didn't see "ano" or "año." I know that probably wasn't the answer the OP was hoping for....

And please, ignore chi chi's advice - never alter a government document fraudulently unless you might like to see what the Peruvian jail system looks like from the inside.

But I guess to answer one of your original questions, I would have cash ready in case you have to pay the $1 /day fine for overstaying. As for re-entry, I have never heard of anyone being denied re-entry into Peru (provided all fines and fees were paid on past exit).
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:00 am

fanning wrote:
danjaker wrote:Here is a picture of the TMI - or the white paper that should say the same thing as the passport stamp -

It says very clearly '90'. I don't get why you don't read that on the TAM ? It doesn't in any way say año, or ano.

Wow, when I first saw the pic I had no idea what was written but once you said 90 it becomes so obvious, funny that. For even more fun lets compare 90 with 2 in my pp... very similar!
Attachments
ppScan.jpg
ppScan.jpg (153.37 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:05 am

chi chi wrote:Just lay your TAM and your passport stamp in the sun. In a week, what has been written on it will disappear and your can write 183 on it yourself.

... the result being everything is faded except for the 183 in vivid new ink. Who ever accused fraudsters of being smart? :shock:
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:29 am

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:Just lay your TAM and your passport stamp in the sun. In a week, what has been written on it will disappear and your can write 183 on it yourself.

... the result being everything is faded except for the 183 in vivid new ink. Who ever accused fraudsters of being smart? :shock:

After being beaten and denied food, should fraudsters be hung in public or imprisoned for life?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:00 pm

Last time, I passed migraciones at Lima airport, the immigration officer had put my entry stamp on top of a Brasilean immigration stamp. It's almost imposible to see the Peruvian stamp as the Brasilean stamp is bigger and in darker ink.

Immigration in Lima also stamped my passport on two occasions on a page where they weren't supposed to put a stamp. One of the stamps was right on the King of Belgium his face.

In 2009, I stayed in Peru for 3 weeks and when I left, they didn't encounter information about my arrival 3 weeks before in their computer system.

And in August 2012, I arrived on a flight from LA and they forgot to stamp my passport. They only stamped my TAM.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:30 am

? Last time I passed migraciones at Lima airport the immigration officer stamped on a new page when there was still room on the previous page.

In 2011, I stayed in Peru for 6 weeks, and he stamped on the crease between two pages!!!!!!! Immigration in Lima also stamped my passport crooked on three occasions.

And in August 2012, I arrived on a flight from NYC and he stamped his hand rather than my passport. :)
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 am

I believe you guys are right, it may be 90 written quickly (a friend of mine who works with immigration lawyers thought it to be 90 written quickly as well), at some point in the future i'll pay the fine, and just come back....

So many people do it, it makes you wonder why they dont make it easier to get a carnet, without a formal job or being married to a Peruvian... oh well...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:28 am

danjaker wrote:I believe you guys are right, it may be 90 written quickly (a friend of mine who works with immigration lawyers thought it to be 90 written quickly as well), at some point in the future i'll pay the fine, and just come back....

Just in case they give you a fine for overstaying your 90 days, explain to the immigration officer that you thought the máximum you could stay is 183 days and you might get away without paying a fine.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register