Proof of onward travel

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Proof of onward travel

Postby amigorick » Tue May 06, 2014 12:08 pm

This will be my first trip to Peru using a one-way air ticket (United) and have a question about proof of onward travel out of the country.

Is this only a requirement that United will ask for when at the check-in desk prior to boarding in the US or is it something that is sometimes asked for by the immigration officer at the airport when entering into Peru? Also has anyone been asked for proof of onward travel when bordering hoping? I travel with frequent flier miles and don't want to book a return flight as United charges $150 to cancel a flight and redeposit miles. I know that I could buy a refundable ticket at an outrageous price but don't want to do that if not required.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Proof of onward travel

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue May 06, 2014 12:41 pm

In my experience, it is only the airlines that enforce this, not immigration, and it is not enforced all the time. It just depends who you get at the check-in desk. There's a few threads about this here, so if you do a search, you'll find them. I think Chi Chi wrote a lot of them.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 06, 2014 5:51 pm

amigorick wrote:This will be my first trip to Peru using a one-way air ticket (United) and have a question about proof of onward travel out of the country.

Is this only a requirement that United will ask for when at the check-in desk prior to boarding in the US or is it something that is sometimes asked for by the immigration officer at the airport when entering into Peru? Also has anyone been asked for proof of onward travel when bordering hoping?

I have flown more than 20 times to Peru and I have never been asked proof on onward travel.

Twice and airline asked me for onward travel. What I do is, I make a booking on www.united.com and opt to pay the airfare by Western Unión. Immediatelly, you get a confirmed booking sendet to your email address. Of course, I forget to go to Western Unión but I still have a confirmed booking in hand.

As you are flying with United, they might control your 'phony' booking. Although it will be very unlikely if they do that.
But you can also make phony booking on websites like www.despegar.com Just change some numbers around on your credit or debit card when making a booking. You will still get booking confirmation by email. A few hours later, you will a mail saying that your booking is cancelled as your payment details aren't valid but you just print of the mail with your confirmed booking,
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:36 am

chi chi wrote:I have flown more than 20 times to Peru and I have never been asked proof on onward travel.

Twice and airline asked me for onward travel. What I do is, I make a booking on http://www.united.com and opt to pay the airfare by Western Unión. Immediatelly, you get a confirmed booking sendet to your email address. Of course, I forget to go to Western Unión but I still have a confirmed booking in hand.

Once again you are wrong Chi Chi and could really get somebody into trouble. I don`t even think United accepts bookings paid via Western Union I might be wrong. I know LAN will allow you to pay at the Bank or at Vivanda but you have to pay within 24 hours of the booking or they cancel the booking. They do not allow booking that are going to be paid via their Bank of Plaza within 48 hours of the flight.

IF YOU PRESENT ANY TICKET FOR ONWARD TRAVEL THE CUSTOMS OFFICER WILL CHECK THEIR COMPUTER WHICH ARE LINKED WITH THE AIRLINES TO SEE IF THE TICKET WAS PAID FOR. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT PRESENTING A TICKET LIKE CHI CHI IS SUGGESTED YOUR NAME, PASSPORT INFORMATION, DATE OF BIRTH, AND PLACE OF BIRTH ARE PUT INTO A DATABASE THAT IS SHARED BY ALL COUNTRIES.

If you attempt this stunt in the US you could also be charged with Immigrations Fraud and face a huge fine or prison. The US will probably just fine you and take your Passport and ban you from any further travel to the US until the fine is paid or they might even detain you until the fine is paid plus the cost of your detention.

chi chi wrote:As you are flying with United, they might control your 'phony' booking. Although it will be very unlikely if they do that.
But you can also make phony booking on websites like http://www.despegar.com Just change some numbers around on your credit or debit card when making a booking. You will still get booking confirmation by email. A few hours later, you will a mail saying that your booking is cancelled as your payment details aren't valid but you just print of the mail with your confirmed booking,

Most websites including desegar.com validate the Credit Card before they issue any email. It takes about 30 seconds and the reason they do this is because of this kind of behavior.

First I think most people will realize that this advice like most of Chi Chi`s advice should not be followed. HOWEVER, I MUST EMPHASIZE THAT IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS YOUR PASSPORT INFORMATION WILL FLAGGED and you could have lots of problems traveling in the future. If you are a not a US Citizen and attempt this while traveling to the US you could be charged with Visa Fraud and face 10 years in Prison or a fine up to $50,000.00 if found Guilty. An Immigrations Hearing Officer will determine your fine at the Point of Entry and you can pay on the sport or they reserve the right to refer the matter to the US Attorney and detain you. Other countries have also elected to get very strict about this kind of behavior because it endangers all travelers.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:43 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:In my experience, it is only the airlines that enforce this, not immigration, and it is not enforced all the time. It just depends who you get at the check-in desk. There's a few threads about this here, so if you do a search, you'll find them. I think Chi Chi wrote a lot of them.

Given the fact that Chi Chi has advised people to commit Visa Fraud I would not recommend following any advice he has to offer. Never mind in other threads he has said that there are seven year old hit men in Peru who work for s/. 150 per hit.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:54 am

DC_20833 wrote:
chi chi wrote:I have flown more than 20 times to Peru and I have never been asked proof on onward travel.

Twice and airline asked me for onward travel. What I do is, I make a booking on http://www.united.com and opt to pay the airfare by Western Unión. Immediatelly, you get a confirmed booking sendet to your email address. Of course, I forget to go to Western Unión but I still have a confirmed booking in hand.

Once again you are wrong Chi Chi and could really get somebody into trouble. I don`t even think United accepts bookings paid via Western Union I might be wrong. I know LAN will allow you to pay at the Bank or at Vivanda but you have to pay within 24 hours of the booking or they cancel the booking. They do not allow booking that are going to be paid via their Bank of Plaza within 48 hours of the flight.

IF YOU PRESENT ANY TICKET FOR ONWARD TRAVEL THE CUSTOMS OFFICER WILL CHECK THEIR COMPUTER WHICH ARE LINKED WITH THE AIRLINES TO SEE IF THE TICKET WAS PAID FOR. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT PRESENTING A TICKET LIKE CHI CHI IS SUGGESTED YOUR NAME, PASSPORT INFORMATION, DATE OF BIRTH, AND PLACE OF BIRTH ARE PUT INTO A DATABASE THAT IS SHARED BY ALL COUNTRIES.

If you attempt this stunt in the US you could also be charged with Immigrations Fraud and face a huge fine or prison. The US will probably just fine you and take your Passport and ban you from any further travel to the US until the fine is paid or they might even detain you until the fine is paid plus the cost of your detention.

chi chi wrote:As you are flying with United, they might control your 'phony' booking. Although it will be very unlikely if they do that.
But you can also make phony booking on websites like http://www.despegar.com Just change some numbers around on your credit or debit card when making a booking. You will still get booking confirmation by email. A few hours later, you will a mail saying that your booking is cancelled as your payment details aren't valid but you just print of the mail with your confirmed booking,

Most websites including desegar.com validate the Credit Card before they issue any email. It takes about 30 seconds and the reason they do this is because of this kind of behavior.

First I think most people will realize that this advice like most of Chi Chi`s advice should not be followed. HOWEVER, I MUST EMPHASIZE THAT IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS YOUR PASSPORT INFORMATION WILL FLAGGED and you could have lots of problems traveling in the future. If you are a not a US Citizen and attempt this while traveling to the US you could be charged with Visa Fraud and face 10 years in Prison or a fine up to $50,000.00 if found Guilty. An Immigrations Hearing Officer will determine your fine at the Point of Entry and you can pay on the spot or they reserve the right to refer the matter to the US Attorney and detain you. Other countries have also elected to get very strict about this kind of behavior because it endangers all travelers.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:56 am

DC_20833 wrote:

First I think most people will realize that this advice like most of Chi Chi`s advice should not be followed. HOWEVER, I MUST EMPHASIZE THAT IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS YOUR PASSPORT INFORMATION WILL FLAGGED and you could have lots of problems traveling in the future. If you are a not a US Citizen and attempt this while traveling to the US you could be charged with Visa Fraud and face 10 years in Prison or a fine up to $50,000.00 if found Guilty. An Immigrations Hearing Officer will determine your fine at the Point of Entry and you can pay on the spot or they reserve the right to refer the matter to the US Attorney and detain you. Other countries have also elected to get very strict about this kind of behavior because it endangers all travelers.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 am

DC_20833 wrote:IF YOU PRESENT ANY TICKET FOR ONWARD TRAVEL THE CUSTOMS OFFICER WILL CHECK THEIR COMPUTER WHICH ARE LINKED WITH THE AIRLINES TO SEE IF THE TICKET WAS PAID FOR. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT PRESENTING A TICKET LIKE CHI CHI IS SUGGESTED YOUR NAME, PASSPORT INFORMATION, DATE OF BIRTH, AND PLACE OF BIRTH ARE PUT INTO A DATABASE THAT IS SHARED BY ALL COUNTRIES.

Complete nonsense and I am not the only person here who said that your talking nonsense. They just look at the paper but they aren't looking that up. Can you imagine checking all passengers their ticket at check-in? It will cause huge delays.

DC_20833 wrote:If you attempt this stunt in the US you could also be charged with Immigrations Fraud and face a huge fine or prison. The US will probably just fine you and take your Passport and ban you from any further travel to the US until the fine is paid or they might even detain you until the fine is paid plus the cost of your detention.

HOWEVER, I MUST EMPHASIZE THAT IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS YOUR PASSPORT INFORMATION WILL FLAGGED and you could have lots of problems traveling in the future. If you are a not a US Citizen and attempt this while traveling to the US you could be charged with Visa Fraud and face 10 years in Prison or a fine up to $50,000.00 if found Guilty. An Immigrations Hearing Officer will determine your fine at the Point of Entry and you can pay on the sport or they reserve the right to refer the matter to the US Attorney and detain you. Other countries have also elected to get very strict about this kind of behavior because it endangers all travelers.

I used this ''stunt'' all the time when flying to the US with a one-way ticket. But in the last few years, immigration officers no longer asked me for a return or onward ticket. I experienced that immigration in the US has improved. They no longer hassle you with asking questions. They probably realised that it doesn't make sense. Most illegal immigrants in the US arrived legally and the had a return ticket but ''forgot'' to go back.

Jim, your doom scenarios are nonsense. US immigration is full of holes. No country has more illegal immigrants than the US.

I overstayed my 90 days stamp many times in the US and work several years in the US without work authorisation and never got any problems.

And soon, a huge amount of people from Eastern Europe will go to the US and stay and work their illegally.

The US government has six months to waive the visa requirement for citizens of the poor Eastern European countries. If not sanctions will be taken against the US and US diplomats will have to apply for a visa if they want to visit the EU.

It's expected that loads of Gypsies from Bulgaria and Rumania will move to the US.

http://www.euractiv.com/justice/eu-give ... ews-533275
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 07, 2014 5:37 am

DC_20833 wrote:If you are a not a US Citizen and attempt this while traveling to the US you could be charged with Visa Fraud and face 10 years in Prison or a fine up to $50,000.00 if found Guilty. An Immigrations Hearing Officer will determine your fine at the Point of Entry and you can pay on the sport or they reserve the right to refer the matter to the US Attorney and detain you. Other countries have also elected to get very strict about this kind of behavior because it endangers all travelers.

Again complet nonsense What danger to other travellers? There no danger at all by doing this.

They can, can, can...but they have a backlog of probably more than 20 million illegal immigrants
And if you commit a so called crime in the US than in many cities, the pólice isn't even allowed to ask if your are legally in the country or not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

I love this one:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/06/ ... n-america/

I know many people that made a phony onward booking when flying to Peru and never had a problem. Besides, sometimes the airlines are asking for an onward booking. Immigration doesn't.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 am

chi chi wrote:Again complet nonsense What danger to other travellers? There no danger at all by doing this.

Remember the Shoe Bomber his name was Richard Reid he booked a one way ticket to the US this is when the TSA ordered all airlines to check onward travel arrangements. Other governments followed. THAT IS THE DANGER YOU IDIOT.

chi chi wrote:They can, can, can...but they have a backlog of probably more than 20 million illegal immigrants

In response to the Shoe Bomber incident onward travel arrangements are being checked by the airlines and if they board you and you don`t have them INS fines the airline, detains you, and fines the airline and makes them pay for the cost of your return. The Airline will only ask for onward travel arrangements if they can`t find them through ASTAR. When you buy a one way ticket the ASTAR system automatically checks for it. If you present a fake ticket like you are suggesting the airline will report it through ASTAR and deny you boarding and you are not refunded what you paid for the ticket. Read the Terms and Conditions you agree to follow when you buy the ticket. It says something like this, "You are certifying that all information given in this reservation or in person is true and correct. If you provide any false information the Carrier has the right to cancel the entire reservation and to deny you boarding and not refund any of the ticket value."

chi chi wrote:And if you commit a so called crime in the US than in many cities, the pólice isn't even allowed to ask if your are legally in the country or not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

I love this one:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/06/ ... n-america/

I know many people that made a phony onward booking when flying to Peru and never had a problem. Besides, sometimes the airlines are asking for an onward booking. Immigration doesn't.

This has nothing to do with what is being discussed here. As far as you claim about all your "friends" who have used phony tickets I doubt you have any because you spend your entire life here giving false information.

While some of your posts are almost laughable breaking the law is not. I know some of these laws slow down air travel and can be a general pain in the arse they were in response to September 11, 2001 where 2,996 people died 3 I knew closely they were my wife and two children.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 am

chi chi wrote:Jim, your doom scenarios are nonsense. US immigration is full of holes. No country has more illegal immigrants than the US.

I overstayed my 90 days stamp many times in the US and work several years in the US without work authorisation and never got any problems.

And soon, a huge amount of people from Eastern Europe will go to the US and stay and work their illegally.

The US government has six months to waive the visa requirement for citizens of the poor Eastern European countries. If not sanctions will be taken against the US and US diplomats will have to apply for a visa if they want to visit the EU.

It's expected that loads of Gypsies from Bulgaria and Rumania will move to the US.

http://www.euractiv.com/justice/eu-give ... ews-533275

Actually you are given 180 days per 365 days so once again you are giving false information. Regarding your claims about Eastern Europeans trying to get into the US they are still required to get Visas and will continued to be required to do so. I believe Poland and the Czech Republic are under review for waiver of the Visa requirement. I doubt the EU will break International Law because they have too much to lose. The US is well within International Law in requiring Visas for Citizens from Eastern European Countries. I thought you worked for an airline as a Stewart so why were you working in the US illegally? Just another lie Chi Chi you are pathetic.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:59 am

chi chi wrote:Complete nonsense and I am not the only person here who said that your talking nonsense. They just look at the paper but they aren't looking that up. Can you imagine checking all passengers their ticket at check-in? It will cause huge delays.

Once again Chi Chi you are misinformed and if you really worked as a Airline Stewart you would know differently. On sites that allow you to buy airline tickets and pay at a Bank or Western Union you do receive an email with a reservation however what is missing is a ticket number. If you don`t pay for the reservation your ticket will not be issued and no ticket number. The Check in Staff is trained to look for a ticket number on the reservations. So when you hand them the email with the reservation they will check their system and see you do not have a ticket and see it was cancelled and deny you boarding.

There are no delays in checking in because when you purchase the One Way Ticket the Airline`s System check through ASTAR or ASTA for other airline tickets for onward travel and keeps searching until they find one. Before they open the flight for Check In the Airline will do a final check on any passengers who have purchased one way tickets and if a return ticket is not found then they ask for the information when you Check In. THIS IS WHY THE CHECK IN STAFF IS NOT CHECKING EVERYBODY ONLY THOSE WHO THEIR SYSTEMS HAVE NOT FOUND RETURN TICKETS FOR.
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asher » Wed May 07, 2014 9:50 am

DC-20833................Apart from all your crap that I cannot be bothered to address. You keep writing ' airline stewart ' I think you mean ' airline steward '.
" It would be helpful when you give your misinformed posts that you learn how to spell. How pathetic "

It might also benefit you to learn that English is not the first language of everyone on this forum...........
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:32 am

asher wrote:DC-20833................Apart from all your crap that I cannot be bothered to address. You keep writing ' airline stewart ' I think you mean ' airline steward '.
" It would be helpful when you give your misinformed posts that you learn how to spell. How pathetic "

It might also benefit you to learn that English is not the first language of everyone on this forum...........

Thank you, "Stewart" was a mistake. The Poster I am talking about is from either the UK, Ireland, or one of the British Isles so English is his first language so on top of his very misinformed posts which are almost laughable you have to judge his character by the fact he cannot spell in his own "first" language. I am always respectful of our Peruvian posters where English is not their primary language. The spelling mistakes in Chi Chi`s posts number at least 4 per post.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 am

chi chi wrote:Complete nonsense and I am not the only person here who said that your talking nonsense.

Interesting comment being that your posts overwhelmingly receive this response more than any others.

chi chi wrote:Jim, your doom scenarios are nonsense

Another interesting comment. Pretty much all your comments re: Lima are full of nonsensical doom and gloom. Just to scratch the surface, you suggest we can't go out on the street and have to live like an earplug wearing recluse; black face when walking on the street; nothing to do in Lima but get mugged, etc.. Even non-Lima comments are filled with doom from cops planting coke on expats to suggesting someone looking for their camera is digging their own grave.

asher wrote:DC-20833.............. It might also benefit you to learn that English is not the first language of everyone on this forum...........

+1
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Holy Crapola! I bet the original poster is wondering what kind of pandora's box he/she opened up! :)
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amigorick » Wed May 07, 2014 12:19 pm

This is how my last Forum subject ended up getting shut down several days ago. Please everyone keep dialog to my original post. Thanks!
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed May 07, 2014 1:05 pm

amigorick wrote:This is how my last Forum subject ended up getting shut down several days ago. Please everyone keep dialog to my original post. Thanks!

Mm, it's gone very off topic. It's now just an abusive slanging match between Jim and Chi Chi. And I don't think criticising people's spelling is really helping anyone here, particularly since Chi Chi isn't a native English speaker. By the way:

"Romania, formerly also spelled Roumania and Rumania, is a country located at the crossroads of Southeastern and Central Europe, on the Lower Danube, north of the Balkan Peninsula and the western shore of the Black Sea. Wikipedia"

To address some of the comments, as far as I know Chi Chi has posted that he is Belgian, but has lived in the US, Asia, Ireland, the UK and Peru. I agree, his posts can be very unreliable, but sometimes they're not. Usually Teamoperu leaves a strongly-worded comment when he feels his posts are wrong. So for newbies to the site or people unfamiliar with Peru, they don't get a one-sided view of how bad life is in Lima or how wonderful it is in Tarapoto.

In the case of airlines requiring proof of a return ticket or proof of onward travel, I don't think this was the case and nobody suggested his posts were inaccurate, or he was spreading misinformation, so Chi Chi's posts on this subject are probably worth looking at. If you are worried about the airline stopping you from boarding, his posts advise pre-booking an onward ticket with an airline to use as proof of onward travel.

To set the record straight, I speak as someone who has never tried Chi Chi's method. However, it is worth pointing out that it isn't illegal to pre-book an airline ticket, whether you intend to use it or not. I've never heard of airline clerk checking to see if it's been paid or not. If I put a ticket on my credit card, I still haven't paid for it until that cheque goes out at the end of the month. The bank has paid for it. If the airline chooses to do this, then you're obviously displaying suspicious behaviour. But legally you can also pay for an expensive ticket and then cancel it, get a refund and you still pay nothing, so it's a moot point.
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asher » Wed May 07, 2014 1:44 pm

I have been in and out of Peru dozens of times over the years and have never been asked for proof of onward travel. Having said that, I have never flown with United so cannot comment on that part of your question. Why do you not just phone the airline and ask them ?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm

OK, I'll weigh in too jeje. Some countries require an onward ticket, it is their rule. If you know the rule then why not just be honest and follow the rule? If the rule is silly or outdated maybe it might make some sense to find a loophole, but not be dishonest.

If onward passage is a rule, then airlines have to check for it. For chi chi's United example, he would show his piece of paper, which could work to scam the system. But if somewhere along the line it gets noticed, then the airline has to pay a fine. Then the airline goes after the agent who allowed it. The agent is working for a living, rather than living off welfare, yet gets the poke. I suggest this is not very considerate of other people. Add to this the more scammers operate, the more airlines put in more checks, which make it more difficult for honest travellers.

Yes, one might swim problem free through and get to destination. BUT security is not only for cause but also random as a safeguard. For example, it is estimated that around 8% of people are sent to secondary screening in the USA just randomly. Secondary screeners are not stupid, rather thorough actually. They know the amateurish scams that chi chi uses. They know the difference between a piece of paper with a “reservation” versus a piece of paper with a confirmed and paid for “ticket. Then comes the fun, post 911. Why are you making false statements? Why do you not have an onward ticket? Why do you have only a one way ticket – boy, there are enough red flags there for them to do many of the things Mr Jim mentions.

As well, as Mr Jim mentions there are now automated systems, even more than he mentioned. Anyone flying on USA overflights are required to provide to TSA passengers information. These are then run through subsystems, so yes, the fact you do not have an onward ticket can be flagged.

My view? Follow the rules or find a legal loophole. Being dishonest, lying to officials, scamming, cheating, faking documentation and information, tricking airlines is a recipe for disaster. More bluntly? A stupid thing to do for the reasons I gave IMHO.

Jim, just tone down the name calling, it is not allowed. But calling an idea stupid and showing why is foolish is allowed (or at least I hope so because I just did it :o :shock: ).

Is there a legal loophole so you can be compliant with the rules and not have to lie and deceive? See the end of Sergio's post.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 pm

What I understood of it is that you don't necessarily need a return ticket, not even an airline ticket. You can even show a booking of a busticket out of Peru. I wouldn't be surprized if you show a reservation with a taxidriver from Tacna to Arica is enough.
And it is not checked by Immigration, the airlines check for it as Peruvian law tells them it is a requirement.
Who ever got a ticket for not stopping at a Stop sign in Lima ?? But surely there is a law for it, it simply isn't enforced, a similar situation exists for the onward travel requirement. The law exists, but is not enforced by Peru, and the airlines seem to be satisfied with simple reservations of airline, bus, and who knows taxi ..
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed May 07, 2014 5:55 pm

fanning wrote:Who ever got a ticket for not stopping at a Stop sign in Lima ?? ..

Venture into Callao, if you dare, and you'll soon know once you've run a red light or exceeded the speed limit. You get a nice photo through the post :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 07, 2014 6:03 pm

DC_20833 wrote:Remember the Shoe Bomber his name was Richard Reid he booked a one way ticket to the US this is when the TSA ordered all airlines to check onward travel arrangements. Other governments followed. THAT IS THE DANGER YOU IDIOT.

In response to the Shoe Bomber incident onward travel arrangements are being checked by the airlines

Ha Ha Ha. Do you think that if he had a return ticket that he wouldn't have been able to set off a shoebomb?
The 9/11 hijackers all entered the US with a return ticket.

Which other governments followed? Last year, I flew 3 times from Peru to Europe and I had a one-way ticket.
EU citizens don't need a return ticket.

It has nothing to do with safety but immigration. A return or onward ticket proofs that people have the means to leave the country before the expiration of their visa so that the local government doesn't have to spend money on expatriating foreigners that run of money during their stay and can't pay their own ticket home.

Still, there's no guarantee that people will leave. Most illegal immigrants both in the US and Peru and the EU entered the country legally but simply overstayed their visa.

Till 10 years ago, when I travelled to the US, the immigration officer ask me to show my return or onward ticket. In the last 10 years, they no longer ask for that. They probably realised that it doesn't make sens as they can't avoid me overstaying.

In 2009, when I moved to Peru, I had a one-way ticket. I ask the Peruvian consulate in Brussels if this was allowed. They told me that a return or onward ticket wasn't required. You just needed to bring enough money with you that you can buy a ticket home before the expiration of your visa.
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amigorick » Wed May 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Just to play it safe I bought a fully refundable return ticket from Jet Blue this morning. Thanks to everyone for their help.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 2:55 am

amigorick wrote:Just to play it safe I bought a fully refundable return ticket from Jet Blue this morning. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Fair play to you mate. Immigration rules are just there to hassle people so you are right to book a refundable ticket and just reclaim your money when you arrive.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu May 08, 2014 6:02 am

chi chi wrote:
amigorick wrote:Just to play it safe I bought a fully refundable return ticket from Jet Blue this morning. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Fair play to you mate. Immigration rules are just there to hassle people so you are right to book a refundable ticket and just reclaim your money when you arrive.

"Immigration rules are just there to hassle people" Beep, wrong. Immigration rules are there to protect the borders of sovereign countries.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 6:07 am

teamoperu wrote:Immigration rules are there to protect the borders of sovereign countries.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Protecting the borders from what? :?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 12:36 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Immigration rules are there to protect the borders of sovereign countries.

The obvious answer would be illegal immigration. For instance, in the US post 9-11 there is a heightened concern of terrorists entering the country. I'm not saying immigration rules are 100% effective in keeping terrorists out, but without them it would be much easier for anyone to enter the country. The pliable nature of borders is interesting. In the US you have people who moved West, conquered, moved the border, and are now trying to keep out the people they displaced who are recrossing the border to land which was once theirs.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:

The obvious answer would be illegal immigration. For instance, in the US post 9-11 there is a heightened concern of terrorists entering the country. I'm not saying immigration rules are 100% effective in keeping terrorists out, but without them it would be much easier for anyone to enter the country. The pliable nature of borders is interesting. In the US you have people who moved West, conquered, moved the border, and are now trying to keep out the people they displaced who are recrossing the border to land which was once theirs.

Immigration rules can't stop terrorists. The Boston marathon bombers were decent hard working guys. The London Underground bombers were good students and the 9/11 hijackers were decent students from the Middle East that were attending a pilot training at a renowed flying school. Nobody thought that any of them would carry out such a horrible act.
The London Underground suicide bombers were born in the UK so immigration could have done nothing at all.

Illegal immigrants can't be stopped by immigration. Immigration can just delay them. If they get caught and sent back, they simply try again.

Immigration rules are responsable for a lot of deaths and immigration rules also support criminal organisations. Due to the tough US immigration policies, coyotos in Mexico make big money with smuggling people accross the border. The harder it becomes to enter the US, the more money they can demand to smuggle people into the US. Many immigrants died in the desert in Arizona because of starvation.

Same in Africa, people risk their lives to get to Europe. Every day overloaded boats arrive in Spain and Italy.
Every year, many people drown. People smugglers that often have links with terrorist organisations make big money with smuggling immigrants and a lot of that money flows to terrorist organisations like Al Qaida.

http://www.amren.com/news/2014/04/more- ... om-africa/

If people are determined to get somewhere, they will. Some even tried to swim to the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ready.html

The war against illegal immigration is lost. And many countries realise that. People from Bulgaria and Rumania have recently been given the rights to reside and work anywhere in the EU. Sending them home all the time costed a lot of money and was useless because the day after they got deported, the came back.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 3:16 pm

If you reread my post you'll see I never stated immigration rules were 100% effective. I wouldn't call the guys who bombed the Boston marathon decent just because they were hard workers. Of course immigration laws aren't going to keep every terrorist out or those who have a clean record and have yet to commit their first act of terrorism, but they might help in keeping out known terrorists and those with a record. Because there are laws against speeding doesn't mean that people aren't going to speed but they exist because it cuts down on the number of speed related deaths. If there weren't laws against speeding there would likely be more deaths related to speeding. Because people speed doesn't mean the laws are ineffective or should be eliminated. The fact that people who break immigration laws get sent back only to try again keeps many government agencies funded and their members employed so I don't think they're looking for an absolute "solution" to the "problem." The fact that people are willing to risk their lives to emigrate to the US and EU countries shows the economic disparity that exists in a hyper-capitalistic world.

If you substitute drug rules for immigration rules and the word drugs for people in your following paragraphs it makes just as much sense.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 3:59 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Of course immigration laws aren't going to keep every terrorist out or those who have a clean record and have yet to commit their first act of terrorism, but they might help in keeping out known terrorists and those with a record.

Many of those extremists are born in the US. Terrorist organisations are smart. If they no longer can bring terrorists in from abroad, they recruit them within the country. They radicalise youths and brainwash them.

And terrorists are hard to spot. They rarely look like the stereotype that has a beard, a belt with a bomb around his middle and a Kalashnikov dangling around his neck.

And not all terrorists are Al Qaida members.

Timothy VcVeigh was a decorated US veteran who fought in the Gulf war.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu May 08, 2014 6:47 pm

chi chi wrote:

:lol:

Think of it in the opposite. If there were no immigration rules or laws there would be no way to implement government policies on immigration. And we do benefit from government policies that state who we want to come in, how many, and for long. People wanting to come also want to know the rules to apply. The vast majority of people who want to visit or immigrate want to do so legally. And there are hundreds of thousands trying every year at home. Rules of law are used to control it or have legal recourse when tricked.

What I find astonishing is how almost every thread ends up in debating what dishonest people do, the illegals, the cheaters, the criminals. I suggest the vast majority of folks on this board are honest and when wanting to visit or immigrate, would be honest about it. The squeaky wheel derails us from debating the honest perspective to always being distracted by the dishonest. Just because chi chi cheats and scams the rules, is this what we are all about here?

The debate about immigration or visas is not that the rules exist, it is what policy (rules) should be.

"Immigration rules are just there to hassle people" Beep, wrong. Immigration rules are there to protect the borders of sovereign countries.
Last edited by teamoperu on Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu May 08, 2014 6:52 pm

duplicate
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu May 08, 2014 8:01 pm

chi chi wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:Of course immigration laws aren't going to keep every terrorist out or those who have a clean record and have yet to commit their first act of terrorism, but they might help in keeping out known terrorists and those with a record.

Many of those extremists are born in the US. Terrorist organisations are smart. If they no longer can bring terrorists in from abroad, they recruit them within the country. They radicalise youths and brainwash them.

And terrorists are hard to spot. They rarely look like the stereotype that has a beard, a belt with a bomb around his middle and a Kalashnikov dangling around his neck.

And not all terrorists are Al Qaida members.

Timothy VcVeigh was a decorated US veteran who fought in the Gulf war.

Obvious. I don't think whoever's in charge of these things is just looking to see if someone has a beard. They're not that stupid. I don't see any of this as being a reason to abolish immigration laws. There's other reasons a nation may want to keep people from entering their country, such as child abusers, sexual predators, human traffickers, etc..

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 pm

DC_20833 wrote:The Poster I am talking about is from either the UK, Ireland, or one of the British Isles so English is his first language.

Walk into a bar on a saturday night in Falls road in Beal Feirste (Belfast) and tell everyone that you think that the first language is English. I am wondering how your highly recommended lawyer is going to get you out of that place in one piece.

If you think that you a smart guy, then have a drink in a pub in Temple bar in Baile Atha Cliath (Dublín) on St. Patricks day and tell all patrons that from now on, English is the first language in Poblacht Na hEireann.

Or walk into a bar full of Welch football supporters in Caerdydd (Cardiff) and tell them that their first language is English and should stick to that.

And the US doesn't even have an official language. My gf found it easy when we travelled to the US. She can speak Spanish everywhere. The flight anouncements at LAX, JFK and Washington Dulles were in Spanish and the information at public transport where also in Spanish. Restaurant staff, busdrivers, taxi drivers, shop assistants and hotel staff almost all can speak Spanish in the US.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... -language/
Last edited by chi chi on Thu May 08, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:24 pm

chi chi wrote:
DC_20833 wrote:The Poster I am talking about is from either the UK, Ireland, or one of the British Isles so English is his first language.

Walk into a bar on a saturday night in Falls road in Beal Feirste (Belfast) and tell everyone that you think that the first language is English. I am wondering how your highly recommended lawyer is going to get you out of that place in one piece.

Or walk into a bar full of Welch football supporters in Caerdydd (Cardiff) and tell them that their first language is English and should stick to that.

And the US doesn't even have an official language. My gf found it easy when we travelled to the US. She can speak Spanish everywhere. The flight anouncements at LAX, JFK and Washington Dulles were in Spanish and the information at public transport where also in Spanish. Restaurant staff, busdrivers, taxi drivers, shop assistants and hotel staff almost all can speak Spanish in the US.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... -language/

I am glad to see that you condone physical violence.
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mickd » Fri May 09, 2014 4:08 am

Reference the last comment about English as the first language in Cardiff/Wales. I have lived in Wales now for 60 years and have heard Welsh spoken twice. Apart from the National Anthem sung at Football/Rugby matches.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri May 09, 2014 6:26 pm

mickd wrote:Reference the last comment about English as the first language in Cardiff/Wales. I have lived in Wales now for 60 years and have heard Welsh spoken twice. Apart from the National Anthem sung at Football/Rugby matches.

But the roadsigns are often hard to read with all those wwwwwwwwww's.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register