Volunteer in Peruvian Selva?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
User avatar
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:41 pm
Location: Cancun

Volunteer in Peruvian Selva?

Postby sunflower » Sat May 24, 2014 12:46 pm

A friend of mine would like to do some volunteer work for about 3 to 4 months at a rainforest or animal project. But it seems that for a lot of volunteer options in this area you have to pay 4 digit fees. :cry:

Can anyone recommend a program / project where one can volunteer for free or at least only have to pay a realistic price for board and lodging?


Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:40 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Volunteer in Peruvian Selva?

Postby Ruud » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi Sunflower,

There is a rescue center close to Tarapoto, in the middle of the jungle, who always welcome real volunteers.
Have a look at their website: http://cereliasperu.com/como-ayudar/voluntarios/

The location is somewhere here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/6%C2% ... !1s0x0:0x0

Ruud


sunflower wrote:A friend of mine would like to do some volunteer work for about 3 to 4 months at a rainforest or animal project. But it seems that for a lot of volunteer options in this area you have to pay 4 digit fees. :cry:

Can anyone recommend a program / project where one can volunteer for free or at least only have to pay a realistic price for board and lodging?
User avatar
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:41 pm
Location: Cancun

Re: Volunteer in Peruvian Selva?

Postby sunflower » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:38 pm

That's sounds absolutely great! Thanks a lot!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Volunteer in Peruvian Selva?

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:00 am

Well this one in Colombia/Brazil provides for youth interns, no fee. It is a great place, been there.

http://www.palmari.org/
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: Volunteer in Peruvian Selva?

Postby chi chi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 am

teamoperu wrote:Well this one in Colombia/Brazil provides for youth interns, no fee. It is a great place, been there.

http://www.palmari.org/



Sounds great.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Volunteer in Peruvian Selva?

Postby teamoperu » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:55 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Well this one in Colombia/Brazil provides for youth interns, no fee. It is a great place, been there.

http://www.palmari.org/



Sounds great.


It is. The owner is pretty good about trying to have “responsible ecotourism”. He does actively involve the local communities so there is more benefit than dis-benefit. I will never forget kayaking in the jungle – super good! Saw pink dolphins. Fed a tapir. And their pre dinner aguardiente cocktails hit hard.

I should have mentioned it is near Santa Rosa (Peru) at the Colombia-Brazil-Peru triangle, hence relevant to the OP's question. He sponsors youth to come for a month or so to learn and work for room and board – some last, some don't.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register