Keurig

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
jenmen9223

Keurig

Postby jenmen9223 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:58 pm

Does anyone know where/if I can find or buy a Keurig in Lima?!

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Keurig

Postby caliguy » Sat May 31, 2014 9:32 pm

i did a little searching and couldn't find a retailer that sells them here. probably due to the high cost per cup and k cup availabilty.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:11 am

What the heck is "Keurig"?? :?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:28 am

It's a pre-fab coffee system. I got to use one when I visited family in the US. It's very convenient. You just pop one of those little cups into the machine, press a button and out comes your coffee. Not the tastiest cup, but good if you're in a hurry and don't have time to make coffee in a more traditional way. When it comes to coffee, I'll go with taste over convenience. Especially when you can get those tasty beans meant for export. Making my morning coffee is almost ritualistic to me.
Attachments
Keurig.jpeg
Keurig.jpeg (5.94 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:22 pm

ironchefchris wrote:It's a pre-fab coffee system.
Juuurghhh :? :(
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm not a coffee drinker, so can't participate in the discussion about tastiness. But why don't you get a Mucho Gusto coffee maker. You can buy the machine in different variations here and get these small cups with coffee in them that you put into the coffee maker in most supermarkets. I was told the coffee isn't that bad, but done in less than a minute.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:29 pm

similar machines are available in Lima at Saga Falabella. the pods can be bought for 25 soles for a pack of 16.
reviews claim that it tastes just a little better than instant Nescafe classico.
http://www.falabella.com.pe/falabella-p ... ction=push
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:22 am

I bought a little plastic cup the same size as the disposable ones. Keurig makes them but so does "as seen on TV." You open the top, load up your favorite coffee and brew it as with the throw away ones. This way you get your own brew type, and it is cheaper! Only small drawback, you have to wash out the cup.

http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-c ... OgodnycAUQ
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:25 am

captcosmic wrote:I bought a little plastic cup the same size as the disposable ones. Keurig makes them but so does "as seen on TV." You open the top, load up your favorite coffee and brew it as with the throw away ones. This way you get your own brew type, and it is cheaper! Only small drawback, you have to wash out the cup.

http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-c ... OgodnycAUQ

Do you need to seal the top of the cup? The coffee Keurig uses isn't bad and is drinkable, but if you could put your own brew in there...
alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:53 am

No K-Cups sold here, but I use the refillable one, the "My K-Cup". Works well :)

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reus ... B000DLB2FI
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:41 pm

alexPeru wrote:No K-Cups sold here, but I use the refillable one, the "My K-Cup". Works well :)

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reus ... B000DLB2FI

The problem with the Keurig brand is that you have to take a piece out of the machine to use it. Fine if it is your home machine and you are the only one who uses it. But like me, we have an office one, and I have to take it out, brew then pull mine out and re-insert the holder for the stock KCup disposable ones.

And yes, it has a small lid that snaps on. A coworker has a little better one than the "as seen on TV" one I bought. Mine was $4.99 and his was $9.99. Loosk more durable, but time will tell. Also yes it is nice to have your own favorite coffee, but there are now like a zillion different types of premixed KCups here. Son or later they will make it to Peru. :) Or fill your suitcase with them on your next trip. :) :)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Yeah, when I was visiting the States I noticed how there were a zillion different K-cup options, but even the cheap ones seemed expensive compared to buying coffee by the pound and brewing it the old fashioned way. They are convenient though, and a nice perk in an office where not everyone likes the same brew. Something about filling a suitcase and bringing coffee into Peru just doesn't seem right. Almost like bringing Pisco into Peru.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:19 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Yeah, when I was visiting the States I noticed how there were a zillion different K-cup options, but even the cheap ones seemed expensive compared to buying coffee by the pound and brewing it the old fashioned way. They are convenient though, and a nice perk in an office where not everyone likes the same brew. Something about filling a suitcase and bringing coffee into Peru just doesn't seem right. Almost like bringing Pisco into Peru.

Yea in an office they are great. Too many folks mooching off the free coffee! Everyone springs for their own with the KCups. About the cheapest I can find a good grind is at Sams Club. About 30 cents per cup. Some guys buy them online, but now that Amazon is in Florida it is not the cheapest way to go either thanks to the tax man wanting his cut!
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:43 pm

So it's not so much a perk as it is the office saving money by not having to buy coffee, only provide the machine. Coffee/caffeine is a great drug to increase productivity. It's why they used to offer it to employees for free first thing in the morning.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:29 pm

I have always had to pay into some form of coffee fund. Well except working at a resturant way back when. Never been free in my 30 + years of scratching for my daily bread. :) :)
mferrerc

Postby mferrerc » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:52 am

I just bought my Keurig machine in the US and brought it back to Peru.
Agreed, k-cup "do it yourself" cups are ok, but too much work for one cup of coffee.
I don't mind paying the extra dime for the "ready to drink" k-cup from different and various brands... I actually find it kinda neat - then again, I might just be being fooled by the marketing guru's.
Having said this, do you think there might a a niche market for Keurig and K-cup's in Peru?.
"Nesscafe Dolce Gusto" has taken the town by storm and Nesspresso machines are not yet present, although people are using them more and more in the upper side of town importing it's cups from Chile, the US and Spain.
Any thought on this are more than welcome.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register