ISP Issues, WAN IP Mismatches Global IP, Movistar / Claro

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Erazor

ISP Issues, WAN IP Mismatches Global IP, Movistar / Claro

Postby Erazor » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:17 pm

A few weeks ago Movistar seems to have changed something internally, the results is that your global IP (picked up by websites) mismatches your WAN IP (the connection from your ISP to your router) so practically there it's like a proxy between you and the web set by your ISP (Movistar).

What does this mean? Well basically it's like having a telephone line reduced to a one way call they can hear you but you can't hear what they are shouting on the other end. You can communicate with other connections but other connections that are trying to communicate with you are getting lost as your ISP is not forwarding them to you.

Basically all your ports are closed/stealthed, you can't host anything, you can't remotely connect to anything on your computer, you can't P2P and you can't play games that require connections between other players (strict Nat and Nat 3 warnings).

My question is If I switch to Claro would I be facing the same problems (cable internet) or maybe I could switch to the Movistar cable version or if I can buy a static IP if that would help overcome these issues?

What would you recommend the best course of action would be?

rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ISP Issues, WAN IP Mismatches Global IP, Movistar / Claro

Postby rgbjr » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Hello
I have Claro and I have the same problem. If you find a solution would you please either post it or PM me.
Thank You
Bobby :D
unknown4356

Postby unknown4356 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:30 pm

I havent been in Peru for a month or so, very new for me... but can you please explain some more? Is this a landline? What you describe is true for mobile networks but not cable/adsl. But even on mobile networks there are still ways to "port forward" so you can host a server. Please describe what type of connection you have (cable, mobile, adsl, etc), the carrier, and -specfically- the action you cannot do, or the software you cannot use. For me, 1 month ago, from my Peruvian landline I haven't seen anything like this, and if certain traffic is not routed back to public IP's from remote servers due to the ISP that has major implications for small businesses running softwares that need that, but this is very unlikely so please explain more thank you.
Jgringo

Postby Jgringo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:10 am

I and another expat here in Cusco are having problems with Movistar/Telefonica speed and connection. She lives near Sucre, Pachacutec, ovalo and is having speed issues while I am having connection issues in San Blas at the fin de Jardines del Inca, Paqlachapata fountain up the hill from Plaza San Blas and Suytucato. I get "Connection Reset" which means I have to redo, return or retype online work because I get disconnected. I don't mind resending emails or loading pages because the connection quickly resets, but losing 20 min or more of time and typed work (kicked out of online surveys) is becoming a serious problem and I am losing US $$.

We never had internet problems during 1 yr on Santa Catalina Angosta (Plaza de Armas) as an Internet Cafe / Agency, nor on Heladeros, but endured 8 months of .2 mbps (on and off) internet speed on Nueva Alta which seemed to begin after heavy rains 2 years ago (after ~1 yr of service). Now here, it's become unbearable since 3 weeks ago (1 yr, 4 months at this address). The speed for me is currently ~4 Mbps which is fine, but losing the connection every 2 - 10 minutes is killing me. It could be due to knocked out or compromised equipment from recent winds although not really windy yet, but I also won't rule out the possibility of a lack of Movistar/Telefonica service quality and how it feels like we've recently been pushed down their list of priority. I don't know how ISPs work, but will be figuring this out now. I'm sure there are ways they can save money by using equipment for new accounts first, limiting speed or connectivity over time for those who don't complain but continue to pay. There must be first served and last served clients for network ips and bandwidth. If they can supposedly sell you faster service, they can give you the slowest too. I have to figure this out once and for all. After 4 years of paying internet here in Cusco I owe it to myself and to anyone else dealing with this monopoly.

Moving to new neighborhood and getting new service will probably fix the problem, but from my experience will only work for a few months and up to a year at best. Can anyone else relate to this? Has anyone lived here in Cusco at the same address for more than a year and had reliable Internet service? If so, in what neighborhood?! Most Peruvians pirate a wifi or share a connection and are accustomed to paying for crappy service (such as not having water for days), so I assume most won't complain. I don't plan on filing another complaint at Movistar as I no longer have the patience for any more ignored claims or waiting for them to fix, so I'd rather figure ISPs out on my own before I make a next move. ISPs in California weren't much better service-wise, but connection was.

My friend and I are both willing to pay Telefonica/Movistar/Claro extra $ for better service, but nothing exists as far as we know. She tried an add-on service "Total Security" or something similar where the sales person said it would speed up the internet but turned out to be Mcafee Antivirus garbage for an extra S/10 / month. She canceled after 2 days. Claro is unavailable for her area, and I assume for us as well. If it is available, I would guess it is no better than Telefonica/Movistar as a new service. I am interested to hear any reviews of Claro internet service (fijo home service not USB gadget).

Is anyone here in Cusco a tech or network guy? If so, please explain a little on how ISPs work and why the slow speed, lost or reset connections, network ip changes, Wan failure. Maybe we can make a change together if we understand more. I also need help with php website stuff too. Call us 242818, dinner/lunch on me. No Cuy unless you are into it, Alpaca steak, Gyros Pita or I'll cook Eggplant Parmesan or Tacos (no cheddar) or pay $$ in return.

I will edumacate myself on ISPs and get back to this post. I'm glad to have a friend here in Cusco who's having problems with internet as well as I am, so I know it's a problem for Cusco and for some of you. I hope we win this and can become paying "clients" as opposed to "slaves" of Movistar/Telefonica or Claro. Serpost will be the next battle. Hit me up if wanting to do online survey jobs for $ in your spare time. Free info for expat Cusco only. US bank acct req for Amazon jobs.

Erazor wrote:What would you recommend the best course of action would be?

I suggest to first see if Claro fijo internet is available for your address then test it out for a month. If it sucks, cancel it. Let us know how it goes. I'm not concerned about speed 2 or 4 or 8 mb all seem like 2-3 mb here, but I'm more concerned about not losing the connection as you described.

Thanks for letting us know what is going on ISP wise. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one with a problem. I will try to talk to a Telefonica tech and get back with info hopefully.

unknown4356 wrote:and if certain traffic is not routed back to public IP's from remote servers due to the ISP that has major implications for small businesses running softwares that need that, but this is very unlikely so please explain more thank you.

This sounds like the "Connection Reset" problem I am having. Moving to a new address / new service may be the only solution, but this latest global ip / wan ip thing is a new problem I haven't seen in the last 4 years.

Thanks, buen dia, saludos
Gringo J rumi tumi tours
Last edited by Jgringo on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:51 am

If you have a static ip they probably won't be able to proxy your connection although I guess they could. In my office we have Claro with a static IP and the WAN IP is the same as the public one.

When I get home I'll try to check my Movistar (cablemodem) to see if they match. I have noticed a drastic slowdown in the last couple months and now you make me wonder if this is the cause.
Jgringo

Postby Jgringo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:57 pm

I often use a VPN with a static ip (US) that I pay for, but from what I understand is that a VPN depends on the ISP performance. In this case I can't blame the VPN service because I attribute the problem to the ISP. So to take away the VPN factor, it's the same problem either way. Whether I'm ip LA or ip Cuz, the connection resets. It seems like a major problem at least for me or my area?

I have successfully used a VPN with Movistar/Telefonica for almost 2 years and have not had this problem until now, 3 weeks ago or a month or more.

Let me know if you pay Claro extra for a "Static IP Address" (through Claro) or if you are also using a VPN Tunnel Server thing. If you are paying Claro for the Static IP and are having no problems then I will check that out!

Thanks for the quick reply.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:14 pm

I do not use a vpn. Claro charges extra for a static ip as well as Movistar. If they are proxying your traffic a Vpn will have really poor performance as a second layer.
Jgringo

Postby Jgringo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:48 pm

Are you having any connection issues at all? In my case the Vpn doesn't matter whether connected or not, I still lose connection here and there.

If you aren't losing connection at all, I'll try it. What street are you on where it works for you? Please don't be a Claro employee. I've heard Claro is too new to be available in most parts of Cusco.
I have a real problem here and thanks for the reply!
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:37 pm

If you look up the number of IP (v4) addresses that are reserved for all of Peru (load the info from http://www.nirsoft.net/countryip/pe.html into a spreadsheet) you will discover something troubling: there is only one IP address available for every three people living in Peru.

Now compare this to the United States, where there are five IP addresses for every single person.

So the long and short of it is that there are nowhere near enough IP addresses to go around in Peru. This applies more or less equally to all ISPs.

Therefore the ISPs are having to get creative, and this means implementing NAT at the ISP level, which is called carrier-grade NAT. This is almost exactly the same as the Network Address Translation that your router performs so that all of the devices in your home can share the one IP address assigned to you by your ISP.

Unfortunately, many ISP configure the carrier-grade NAT in such a way that the port information (every IP address has 65536 "ports" used to establish and identify unique connections) is not maintained in the same sensible way it is done at your router. And this means that techniques that have been developed to reliably enable two-way connections through NAT do not always work through most carrier-grade NAT configurations.

It *could* work, just as you can work around NAT on your router. The ISPs just choose to configure their NAT so that it doesn't work, which is very irritating and disappointing.

Ultimately IPv6 will solve this since there is no shortage of IPv6 addresses, but full implementation of IPv6 could still be a looooooooooooooooong way off.
Jgringo

Postby Jgringo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:16 am

My VPN is connected and used to read a Los Angeles IP, but at the moment I am checking whatismyip.com and getting:

Your IPv6 Address Is:
2001:1388:5e03:2570:8ca7:a7c0:XXXX:XXX

This is the first time I've seen this.

Thanks gringolandia, most of this is above my head but it seems like they are taking on new customers and spreading out signals.

Would it be worth the trouble paying for a static ip? I'm not even sure if it's offered or how much it costs.

I'll give this a try and post something here.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register