Visiting Peru for 3 weeks.. would want advice

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Czechowski

Visiting Peru for 3 weeks.. would want advice

Postby Czechowski » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:11 am

Hi everyone, thank you in advance for any help you can provide. My girlfriend and I will be travelling to Peru in September for 3 weeks.

I am wondering whether it is cheaper to buy flights within Peru prior to arrival or when in the country (last minute). Flights that we will be taking within the country will be:
Lima - Cuzco
Cuzco - Lima
Lima - Iquitos
Iquitos - Lima
Lima - Piura
Piura - Lima
And what airline would be cheapest to fly with?

Same would go for buses, which are safest and should we book/pay online prior to arriving in the country?
Piura - Mancora
Mancora - Piura
Cuzco - Arequipa
Lake Titicacca - Cuzco

We are also wondering whether there is anywhere to go skydiving in Peru. We have found a few places for bungee jumping and paragliding, but are having a hard time loving a skydiving place.

Also we want to know how the pharmacy works down there. We don't have health benefits here and have heard that medications are less expensive in Peru. How would i go about contacting a pharmacy whether we need a prescription, and what the costs are?

Also any recommendations anyone has, would be greatly appreciated. So far out plans include
Lima (2 days)
Cuzco
Salkantay to Machupicchu
Arequipa to Lake Titticaca (bus tour through Colca Canyon)
Iquitos (3 day jungle tour)
Lake Titicacca homestay
Mancora (2 days beach)

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

LuisTaxi

Re: Visiting Peru for 3 weeks.. would want advice

Postby LuisTaxi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:49 am

I would suggest buying airline tickets ahead of time you always get a better deal but buses I'm not really sure I will ask some friends here and get back to you. But for you 2 day stay in Lima I can drive you around, I'm a taxi driver. Let me know if you need assistance with anything.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi! I will respond in parts, too much information to handle LOL :lol:

AIR:

I will suggest you to buy your air tickets right know, it is cheaper when you buy 2 - 1 months before your actual travel. The cheapest will be the local airlines, LC Peru and Star Peru. And the super duper cheapest of all is Peruvian Airlines, who doesn't make any difference between foreigners and locals when it comes to fares, plus they don't charge you for changes... For example a round trip Lima-Cusco always is like $100... In other airlines it can be high as $400 in economy! And Peruvian has flights to all your destinations you list on your post...

BUS:

For the bus tickets things are more flexible, there are a lot of buslines and very nice terminals, at least in the case of the one I used here in Lima, you can even check their website http://granterminalterrestre.com/destinos

I have experienced the service of TEPSA bus, and It was very good, I've also heard very good comments about CIVA, they have one of the best services.

SKYDIVING/PARAGLIDING

Never done it before :shock: But I know that in the Miraflores area there are some places you can do paragliding! The best place to get more information is TripAdvisor I guess... If I get more info I will post it here.

PHARMACY: Here are called Farmacias or Boticas

As you should know, the prices vary from pill to pill :roll: I don't know if they're cheaper here but I know that you can buy some really good quality generic drugs for a cheap cheap price, there are brand names too if you like. There are a lot of pharmacies everywhere...

Recomendations:

Well, all depends on the budget you have, but you must know this, Lima can be super expensive or super cheap! There are options for everyone, Let me know what kind of stuff you would like to do in Lima and I will tell you the best accommodation for your choice. In Cusco I've stayed in a place really really close to Plaza de Armas, where all the action happens :) It is not luxurious but it is cheap and very convenient.

I'm here to help. Have a nice one.
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:26 pm

limaclub

Postby limaclub » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Czechowski
If you would like a to send an email to [email protected] and i can help you out with a lot of these places including the trekking information in the Cusco area and homestays and how to organise them.
Saludos,

South American Explorers,
956 Enrique Palacios,
Miraflores,
Lima 18.
Tel: 01 447 7731

http://www.saexplorers.org

Open: Mon-Fri: 0930 – 1700 (Weds: 2000); Sat: 0930 - 1300
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby StephenUK » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:52 pm

Don't know about Piura, but we have been with happy with Star Perú, booking in advance. I find their website is easy, providing you don't use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to mask the country you are from, which can mess access to booking I find. Pucallpa, Iquitos, Puerto Maldonado and Lima have all been good experiences except when sudden bad tropical weather. Their notice of delays was poor for us, but they looked after you for arranging the next flight.

For a guide I recommend Gerlo Diaz based in Iquitos for Iguana Lodge on the Amazon. Excellent value, independent jungle guide for an unforgettable break away from it all.

https://www.tourhq.com/guide/pe84092/gerlo-diaz-rios

Also you can investigate on Tripadvisor.

I agree with asgp & LuisTaxi re buying air tickets ahead.

Hope this helps...
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:36 am

Don't by LAN airline tickets for travel in Peru UNLESS you are Peruvian. They have a fee of $170.00 ON TOP of the fare. Do they always enforce it? No, you can try to sneak by the gate if u get your boarding pass online. So for in-peru flights you have to stick with Peruvian Airlines or Star Peru.

I bought my flight from Lima to Mancora the day before the flight and paid about $40 more. However, a week before it was $100 more, two weeks before it was $40 less. The average price you should shoot for when shopping around within Peru is $100, to just about any city, plus or minus $20.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register