General info on what to do to get a job in IT in Peru!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

General info on what to do to get a job in IT in Peru!

Postby DanielGent » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Thought I would do a post on here as the forum is pretty interesting and I just wanted some general advice. Please give me some grief if this is duplicate information! Sorry it's probably quite long as well as it's general mind dump. Haven't met ANY other gringos in the same situation to help me out on this.

Have been backpacking for the last year in Latin America after escaping from the UK and I have no intention to return there anytime soon. I quite like Peru and Lima so I would like to stay here for a while and get a job. I have a degree in Computer Science and have spent the last 5 years programming (so please no "you could work as an English teacher" advice). Had a look online and it appears there's absolutely loads of work in my field. Loads.

Spent as little time in gringo environments as possible so, while my Spanish is far from perfect, it's really not bad for being here a year, and I figure as long as I look for a job with a more international firm that says "Ingles Basico Necesario" my native English should make up for whatever I lack in Spanish (and all IT based stuff is in English as I've found out while trying to brush up online in Spanish on IT)

My questions are based around this:

I've got about 3 weeks left on my visa. I'd already read that you can't extend inside Peru anymore but i went to the immigration office in Lima anyway just to put myself at ease before getting on a bus for 20 hours. They said it can't be extended, but it's no problem paying a fine. Personally I don't like the idea of having an out of date tourist visa in case anything happens. I can imagine the police and my insurance company wouldn't be so happy with that.

My plan is to border hop to Bolivia (purely as I've already been in Ecuador before and I want to go to Lago Titicaca, please someone inform me if this is a bad idea!), stay there a week or so, and then return asking for the 180 days stamp.

But I have no idea on the rest of the process. I *imagine* the process would be a lot easier than a Peruvian wanting to work in the UK, but probably not as a easy as a Peruvian wanting a tourist visa.

Should I start applying for jobs on a tourist visa?
Do I need a carnet de residencia to get a job?

Generally I don't really need the salary right now that they would pay me, and I have Peruvian friends whom could have the money paid into their bank account. Mainly I just want to work because I actually want to work in IT and stay in one place and I've had enough time backpacking for now.

Everything I read online in English is always about English teachers, in which case I'm sure I could just work "cash in hand" on a tourist visa, but I doubt that would work for a real IT job. And of course anything I read in Spanish is not relevant to my situation!

Thanks a lot to anyone who can even bear to read all this,
Dan

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: General info on what to do to get a job in IT in Peru!

Postby sbaustin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Since we aren't talking about a carnet via marriage (or other kinds that don't apply), you will need to get sponsored by a company in order to get a work visa. It isn't impossible, but it is limiting in your options in that not every company wants to go through the effort of sponsoring someone. I would update your resume/CV in Spanish, send it out to a few places, go to a few interviews and see what they say.

There are tons of I.T. related jobs in Lima that pay rather well depending on experience. A friend of mine (British) with no professional experience (but CS degree) recently found a job within a month or so however he had a carnet via marriage.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 am

What makes you think it is easier for a Brit to get work in Peru, than for a Peruvian to get work in the UK? (without the proper paperwork)

First thing... beware that it is highly unlikely that companies will want to sponsor you. Because (second thing), it is such a pain to get through the bureaucracy, and there is no justification really to hire someone from outside there being so many Peruvians with degrees in IT/Computer Science/etc.
Regards,

Argidd
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:42 am

argidd wrote:What makes you think it is easier for a Brit to get work in Peru, than for a Peruvian to get work in the UK? (without the proper paperwork)

First thing... beware that it is highly unlikely that companies will want to sponsor you. Because (second thing), it is such a pain to get through the bureaucracy, and there is no justification really to hire someone from outside there being so many Peruvians with degrees in IT/Computer Science/etc.

I would agree with you to some degree (about the bureaucracy and process), but there are a lot of companies that do international business that require fluent english. Unfortunately the vast majority of Peruvian IT people have sub par English from my experience having interviewed about 50 developers. Whether this is justification enough for the visa I don't really know.

Before someone comments about the "sub par", I only mean that in the interview probably 2 or 3 out of the 50 could hold a conversation with me in English. Over the phone or on skype as is the case when dealing with international clients it is even harder so English proficiency is a huge asset for companies that have USA/UK clients.

Our opinions aside, unless the OP updates his CV in Spanish and starts sending it out, he will never know. If he states that he will require a work visa on the job application and gets an interview that should be an indication that the company would at least consider it.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 am

Yes there are. And there are many that bring executives from abroad.
In my past job I had general managers who were expats. Many companies such as Telefonica, Mining companies, AG companies, etc. bring expats... usually people with a specialized knowledge, or with experience in the companies that bring them in their home countries. A mid-management role, unless it is highly unlikely to find in Peru, will probably not hold up at a justification. BUt of course, that is the company's decisión, and it is worth trying out options.
Regards,

Argidd
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi Argidd,

Thanks for the reply, looks like this forum will be my new favourite website if I do have any chance of a job accepting me!

(Late reply as I'm a new member so my posts are being moderated!)

"What makes you think it is easier for a Brit to get work in Peru, than for a Peruvian to get work in the UK? (without the proper paperwork)"

Talking about "without proper paperwork" I only mentioned cash in hand English teaching work. In which case it's definitely much easier for an English person to get work than a native Peruvian!. I imagine I would have to do everything quite legally for an IT company. The reason I imagine it is easier (probably naively) is two things:

1. There don't seem to be any foreign people here and I've never seen a headline that mentions "extranjero immigrantes". If you've ever been to England you'll see that our headlines (and election results) are dominated by immigration. Here it appears to be quite the opposite and I imagine Lima is a long way of the world record holding immigrant city with London at 50% foreign born. That would make me imagine that things aren't so tight here, with immigrants taking jobs not being something in the minds of most votes (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

2. Is the reverse pro-English pro-white racism. Almost every Peruvian I've spoke to said I would get a job over a local. Just look at all the billboards. In places like Plaza Norte I often feel like I've just stepped out a billboard. Even speaking at the information desk in the immigration office the woman had Instituto Britanico stuff on her desk and was so nice to me saying that I could overstay my tourist visa and everything. From friends of mine that have immigrated to England it's quite different the other way round!

really this just leaves how hard it is for a job to sponsor me. I'm obviously not here for money and I'm quite expecting to take an 80% paycut, I just fancy living somewhere else for a while. If all they had to do was wait for two months that doesn't sound that much hassle. From trying to study IT in Spanish I've realised that everything is in English. The only stuff that is translated to Spanish is outdated and very small in number.

Looking at other countries,one of my friends is constantly harrassing me to go and work for him in the US. He's half British half Canadian and he said he can get me a job at his place no problem as they have relaxed visa rules for techies in the US. (I have about three other programmer friends who have worked over there, and I don't have lots of programmer friends!

There's a shortage of programmers everywhere. Just like week I was more or less offered a job in Holland by some other programmers on the Santa Cruz trek and I have at least three different jobs I could walk into next week in Manchester. Before I resort to something like marriage to gain foreign residency somewhere I'd at least like to try and spend a few months here and in other South American countries trying to get a job. If only so it gives me the experience of being on the other end of the stick and being an immigrant!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:19 pm

DanielGent wrote: There don't seem to be any foreign people here and I've never seen a headline that mentions "extranjero immigrantes".

You aren't looking hard enough. There are a lot of foreigners working in Lima and there have been articles about it but they are mostly from Spanish speaking countries.

Until you start sending out your CV, you will never know.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Just try it, send your CV in Spanish to all Companies which might offer an IT a job.

It's useless to speculate any further, you will keep us informed.

Good luck.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Ugh... the billboards are a big problem.
The main problem is that they are not reality, in any way shape or form.

But, that aside...
My husband is British as well, he also looks like he just came out of a billboard. He has an advanced degree in science. Everyone told him that he would get awesome, killer, well paying jobs in Peru (once we were married). That has not happened. If he had no paperwork, it would be far worse.

I don't want to seem like an *ss. Just trying to help you see reality.
And if you do get sponsored, and have to wait 2 months for your visa, please, buy the lottery because you are one in a million! 2 months for Peruvian immigration is the fastest they could ever ever go!
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 pm

DanielGent wrote:There don't seem to be any foreign people here

There are loads of immigrants in Peru. A lot from Spain, Italy and many other European countries.
There's a big Chinese and Japanese community here as well.

The amount of immigrants has been increasing in the last few years. Many Spanish people are moving to Peru because of the economic crisis.

DanielGent wrote:There's a shortage of programmers everywhere. Just like week I was more or less offered a job in Holland by some other programmers on the Santa Cruz trek and I have at least three different jobs I could walk into next week in Manchester.

I would take those jobs if I were you. At least you get decent pay and you are legal.
I wish I got offered 3 jobs where I could walk into next week in Manchester. I have been out work for 5 years and still have no hope of finding a job.
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Ok thanks for the help. I'll be sure to keep this forum updated without a doubt on what (if any) progress I make. Even if only to say "don't try!"

@Sbaustin; a practical note, as you said

"If he states that he will require a work visa on the job application and gets an interview that should be an indication that the company would at least consider it."

Have you any idea (or even seen) how I should lay this out? Like put a line on the first line of the email AND on my CV? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. It's a good idea though, if I make it really clear and then someone replies it at least means it is worth their time. If I apply to loads of places and get no replies then I'm off on my way!

Also I did write another reply to Sbaustin more detailed that appears to have disappeared (it was awaiting moderation) but I was just asking if anyone has any more info on what sponsorship means and what a company has to do. If said company doesn't have to pay anything or be liable for anything and just have to wait a few months to see if my application is successful then I imagine it would be quite possible, if they have to be liable for anything then it's probably a different matter......

I am also aware that if I lived my life by what forums say I would never have come to South America due to the imminent stabbings and high crime rate and all the horror stories, and would definitely never have gone off the beaten track to places like Venezuela. In the real world I have met another guy at a hostel who did manage to get a job in IT in Argentina years ago. For an international company where they all spoke in Spanish but all documents were in English, so it helped with him being from New Zealand.

Thanks for the help anyway everyone I'll be sure to update this thread with any updates even if just to say "it is not possible to live in Peru" :)
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Daniel, as an HR manager, my recommendation would be... have your CV in both languages. Look out for Jobs on job boards, the newspaper, etc. Sometimes they will ask for the CV in Eng, and when not specified, send it in Spanish. As per Sbaustin's suggestion, I would state that you are not yet legal in the covering letter. Something along the lines of: "I am currently looking for a professional opportunity in Peru, and can provide the organization with all the documentation needed for the sponsorship of a work visa".

The process is long and a pain. First off, companies can't go passed a máximum quota of foreigners. I don't remember what it is... 20, 25 or 30% of people on the payroll. That means filling out paperwork and proving it's true. Second, the subject can get a business visa, or a permission to sign contracts, for the the business visa, you would have to eventually leave the country, come back, and so on. Third, submit a whole bunch of paperwork to immigrations, including all your ORIGINAL, OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED AND APOSTILLED university degrees, job recommendations, work letters, etc. Fourth, after a million years, when dinosaurs come back to rule the Earth, immigrations says it's a "go". Then your contract goes to the ministry of labor, they review it, make sure there's no foul play, and approve it. Then you can sign it, and you are finally eligible for your Carnet de Extranjeria. Mind you, the sponsor will probably have to prove that the person hired has a special attribute that people in the market don't; this is while the papers are in immigrations and/or with the ministry.
I might have gotten the ministry and immigration part mixed up in time... can't remember now. But I think this gives you an idea.
Regards,

Argidd
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks Argidd, really thanks a lot. I have no other gringos in the same boat whom I can talk to so good to have this board.

Updating my CV now and will get my friend to help me translate it (whom I might marry if push comes to shove but that's a different forum post!). The process does sound incredibly painful but I could be working remotely or learning some new programming languages in the meantime. If I get a permission to sign contracts I can rent a place for much cheaper than a hotel so it won't drain my funds too much to live here.

In terms of jobs boards, there's just so many jobs online, and I've found quite a few for International companies where the listing is in English. I'll get CVs sent to them tonight with the line that you advised.

Possibly I am looking in the wrong country :) reading online and it appears that Chile is the place to be, with relaxed visas for computer programmers and intending to set itself up a silicon valley in Santiago. I have actually found blogs of people just like me writing how they've got work. So I think I'll at least try here for a few weeks before I give up.

Will post up my success/failure. Thanks all
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:03 pm

I suggest that you learn Spanish and then apply for a job as an assistant waiter.

Many of the cheap restaurant will employ a waiter ''of the record'' without a workvisa.

Becoming a waiter is the logical choice for a foreigner.

Same in the UK, loads of foreigners apply for a job as an assistant waiter and they make good money.
A friend of mine recently moved to London. He found a job as a waiter in a restaurant in Kensington and he makes good money. He even makes 6.31 pound per hour. After tax, that's 980 pounds a month,

In Rumania, he made 120 pounds per month.
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:14 pm

estudiar espanol un poco mejor posible.... pero mi espanol es suficiente para tener conversaciones y blah blah blah :^)
no problems on the Spanish front, but (as I wrote above!) no reasons to work as a waiter, i'd be on the next plane back to London if that was my only option.

I don't particulary need the money right now, it's just that I have a gap on my CV of a year now and in tech any longer is not that great.

On a related note, what is the law like for volunteering here on a tourist visa? Just wondering, if a company were to be keen to sponsor me (and the more I read the more I'm thinking no chance), could I work for free (volunteer) for them while waiting for my work visa to be accepted?
As long as I'm doing something in tech and speaking in Spanish I'm not really too bothered if there's money coming in or not for a while. Possibly this could be a way to get a company to sponsor me or see I was worth sponsoring......

Also, offtopic, but that salary is absolutely poverty for London. £130 a week rent is for a nasty place in a poor area. £5 a beer standard, he'd be much much better off living in my hometown of Manchester, but that's a different topic for a different forum!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:58 pm

DanielGent wrote:he'd be much much better off living in my hometown of Manchester, but that's a different topic for a different forum!

Manchester is great. I was used to live in Belle Vue in Gorton, just of Hyde Road. I paid 300 quid for a furnished studio flat, all bills included. The área is a bit of ''hood'' with all those chavs but it only took 10 minutes by bus to Piccadilly Gardens.

Manchester is nicer to live than London. Although a big city, everything is centrally located. Traffic is much better than London as well.
The Trafford Centre is great to hang out on the rainy days. It boasts the biggest food hall in Europe.

I never got any problems. I just mingled in with the crowd. When I left my flat after dark, I wore my hooded top, with a cap under it and wore a trackie bottom and wore Nike trainers. Of course, according to the dresscode, I tucked my trackie bottom sleeves into my white socks. And the obligatory fag was dangling off my lips.
I drove the standard car for the área. A 500 quid Corsa with a double exhaust and a spoiler on the back and dark windows. And gangsta rap was blasting out of the stereo whilst driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7HzeX9tu7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP1mfRZZtgw
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Finally, Chichi's identity revealed. He is Frank Gallagher.
Attachments
Frank-Gallagher-007.jpg
Frank-Gallagher-007.jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:05 am

DanielGent wrote:I've got about 3 weeks left on my visa. I'd already read that you can't extend inside Peru anymore but i went to the immigration office in Lima anyway just to put myself at ease before getting on a bus for 20 hours. They said it can't be extended, but it's no problem paying a fine. Personally I don't like the idea of having an out of date tourist visa in case anything happens. I can imagine the police and my insurance company wouldn't be so happy with that.

My plan is to border hop to Bolivia (purely as I've already been in Ecuador before and I want to go to Lago Titicaca, please someone inform me if this is a bad idea!), stay there a week or so, and then return asking for the 180 days stamp.

Don't worry about the pólice. They aren't chasing gringos living illegally here. Very, very rarely a big company gets raided but I never heard about a mom and pop place that get raided by the immigration pólice.

If the immigration pólice really wants to chase gringos working illegally then the could do that easily. They just have to pay a visit to all those English schools. For sure, at almost every school they will find a bunch of gringos that are working ''off the record'' and that get paid cash under the table.

Regarding to border hopping,
the Bolivian border can be tricky. Often people get less than 183 days over there. Same with the Ecuadorian border. I think best chance to get the full 183 days is at Lima airport. International flights are a bit expensive compared to the airfares within Europe.
Unfortunately, RYANAIR :evil: :evil: :evil: doesn't have a base yet in Peru.
But TACA and LAN often have special fares but you still have to fork out around 900 soles for the cheapest fares to Guayaquil, Quito or Santiago de Chile.

If you still want to try your luck at the Ecuadorian, Bolivian or Chilean border then there's no need to spend 20 hours on the bus. Peruvian Airlines, Avianca and Starperu often have fares that are the same as the busfares to Tumbes, Tacna or Juliaca. (Don't book a domestic flight with LAN as they charge foreigners without a CE (resident card) $179 extra on top of the fare.)

Last week, I booked a return ticket from Tarapoto to Lima for 216 soles. The bus fare is the same but it takes 26 hours. Flying only takes 1 hour.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:17 am

Daniel, if you are prepared to work for less money than you were used to make at home and if you aren't prepared to go through the hassle to get a workvisa then I suggest that you go to Compuplaza in the center of Lima.

Compuplaza and the área around it, is full of computer stores that sell, repair and program computers.
Most of the shops are hole in the wall places that for sure don't give a hoot whether you got a workvisa or not. They wouldn't care either if your Spanish isn't perfect.

I remember when I was at Compuplaza, I saw a big board hanging up full of adds. Many were jobads hung up by the computer shops.

If you need a place to live, rooms can be rented all over Lima for democratic price.
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Didn't think I'd really end up on this forum discussing places to live in Manchster, but if people were to say "i've done England" or "in England" when really they've only been to Central Manchester, Gorton is where I'd recommend they go for the authentic experience.

Compuplaza is a great idea. If they have any kind of programming/web design outfit going there I can hand a CV and see what happens. Nice one!

Re border hopping, only thing with border hopping by plane is that i'd have no problem entering Ecuador on a return flight, but then returning back into Peru I'd be stuck with the same "proof of onward travel" malarkey. Always prefer to just take the bus across borders. 20 hours but 20 hours I'll spend knowing I'll get across.
The Chile border is the best then? 90 days is still enough for me to live with. annoying, but possible.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:18 pm

DanielGent wrote:Re border hopping, only thing with border hopping by plane is that i'd have no problem entering Ecuador on a return flight, but then returning back into Peru I'd be stuck with the same "proof of onward travel" malarkey. Always prefer to just take the bus across borders. 20 hours but 20 hours I'll spend knowing I'll get across.
The Chile border is the best then? 90 days is still enough for me to live with. annoying, but possible.

Like I said before, the fares to fly from to a city that's close to the border like Tacna, Tumbes or Juliaca costs roughly the same price as taken the bus. From there you can take a bus accross the border.

Regarding the proof of onward travel.
I flew in and out of Peru at least 30 times and I have never been asked of proof of onward travel by immigration.
The airlines might ask for it. There are several ways to solve this problema.
You can buy a fully refundable ticket and show that as proof as onward travel and get a refund when you arrive back in Peru.
You can buy online a cheap busticket accross the border.

Personally, I make a booking at www.united.com and opt to pay by Western Unión. Immediatelly, you get a confirmation of your booking by email. Just at the last page it says that if you don't pay within a certain time, your booking will be cancelled. Of course I 'forget' to pay at Western Unión but I still have a confirmed booking in my backpocket. Airlines aren't going to check if you have paid or not.
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby DanielGent » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Yes you did say about flying to the border and I think this is exactly what I will do. Normally I'm for not flying and going green and blah blah but when immigration is concerned you just realise that "not burning up fossil fuels" is not even on the list of immigration departments! Especially reading horror stories of people having to cross the world just for a document stamp.....

"Personally, I make a booking at www.united.com and opt to pay by Western Unión. Immediatelly, you get a confirmation of your booking by email. Just at the last page it says that if you don't pay within a certain time, your booking will be cancelled. Of course I 'forget' to pay at Western Unión but I still have a confirmed booking in my backpocket. Airlines aren't going to check if you have paid or not."
This is genius. Why have I never read of this before!

Entering Panama from Costa Rica (where I was then going to get a boat onwards to Colombia) for my proof of onward travel I just faked a plane ticket. took my LDN-NYC printed BA ticket and edited the HTML using the details from a real flight. Always a risky one but worked a treat
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:13 pm

I worked in IT for 7 years while living in Peru. I worked for IBM USA, which was a remote admin job (home office). Your best bet is to find remote work or work from home in your home country with direct deposit.

IT jobs in Peru are a tough nut to crack, if you are no assigned by your home country.

The pay is also poor.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:18 pm

DanielGent wrote:Entering Panama from Costa Rica (where I was then going to get a boat onwards to Colombia) for my proof of onward travel I just faked a plane ticket. took my LDN-NYC printed BA ticket and edited the HTML using the details from a real flight. Always a risky one but worked a treat

Ha Ha Ha, you should apply for a job at Jiron Lampara in Lima (opposite the Sheraton). Those printing shops are well known for fabricating all kind of phony documents. Sure, your IT knowledge will be an asset.

You went from Panama to Colombia by boat. So, you didn't do the daredevil Darien gap adventure?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:30 pm

DanielGent wrote:Didn't think I'd really end up on this forum discussing places to live in Manchster, but if people were to say "i've done England" or "in England" when really they've only been to Central Manchester, Gorton is where I'd recommend they go for the authentic experience.

Grimsby is similar to Gorton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nkers.html
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:42 pm

DanielGent wrote:Didn't think I'd really end up on this forum discussing places to live in Manchster, but if people were to say "i've done England" or "in England" when really they've only been to Central Manchester, Gorton is where I'd recommend they go for the authentic experience.

Compuplaza is a great idea. If they have any kind of programming/web design outfit going there I can hand a CV and see what happens. Nice one!

Re border hopping, only thing with border hopping by plane is that i'd have no problem entering Ecuador on a return flight, but then returning back into Peru I'd be stuck with the same "proof of onward travel" malarkey. Always prefer to just take the bus across borders. 20 hours but 20 hours I'll spend knowing I'll get across.

Compuplaza is just lots of small booths in a large building selling cheap computer services, fixing old equipment, selling pirate software, etc. I don't think it's what you have in mind. I think Tupac's idea of working remotely is your best bet if you want to make okay money and living decently. The advice about border hopping sounds accurate. People without carnets usually overstay and pay the $1 a day fine or fly to Tacna and cross the border to Chile and come back the next day. Some people have reported coming back the same day and having no problem.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register