Reality check for most gringos hoping to make it in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Reality check for most gringos hoping to make it in Peru

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 am

Yes, interesting read, thanks. I liked his line, when talking about getting a job upon returning to the States: “... you realize that you’re not unemployable. If you’re willing and able to work, you’ll always find work as I did immediately upon returning.”
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:08 pm

teamoperu wrote:If you’re willing and able to work, you’ll always find work as I did immediately upon returning.”

It depends of your work experience and qualifications.
Last year and the year before, I went to Europe to look for a job and didn't find anything. And I applied for jobs that I was able to do and jobs that I had experience in. There are indeed a lot of
jobvacancies but the competition on the jobmarket is tougher. There are much more applicants for every vacancy than before.
The other problem is that employers get so many applications after the placed an add that they aren't able to read all off them. They might oversee a suitable candidate.

I registered with an employment agency in Dublin and they told me that if they put an add on the internet or a newspaper for a job in catering, callcenter, cleaning or shop staff, then they easily get over 500 responses in the first day alone. After one week, easily a few thousand. They go through 50 or so application they received but they can unable go through them all and for sure they can't grant everybody an interview.

Back to the topic,

as the article says, you need high qualifications or being sendet her from the embassy or government of your home country if you want to make good money.

If you are a manual labourer then you will just get the same (mostly low) wage than the locals.

But working abroad is not all about the money. It's an adventure.

I am neither agree with the quote that you aren't employable if your return to your home country. Your work experience abroad values as well. Especially, the language skills you have learned are an asset back home.
AmericanMe

Postby AmericanMe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:42 am

Chi Chi,

Thanks for the insight. I am an American who is married to a woman from Lima. It has been so frustrating trying to get her citizenship here in the U.S., I am leaning towards moving there. I have an eclectic background to say the least but I believe you can't get enough information about where you want to move to.

I noticed that there are many English speaking positions there. I have no degrees in teaching but have an excellent command of the English language. I am actually getting some replies to emails just in the first week. Luck perhaps?

I will continue to monitor this forum as I want to learn from those that have already done it or live there and want to help others start a life there. Plus, I can't wait to learn Spanish fluently!
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:08 am

AmericanMe wrote:Chi Chi,

Thanks for the insight. I am an American who is married to a woman from Lima. It has been so frustrating trying to get her citizenship here in the U.S., I am leaning towards moving there. I have an eclectic background to say the least but I believe you can't get enough information about where you want to move to.

I noticed that there are many English speaking positions there. I have no degrees in teaching but have an excellent command of the English language. I am actually getting some replies to emails just in the first week. Luck perhaps?

I will continue to monitor this forum as I want to learn from those that have already done it or live there and want to help others start a life there. Plus, I can't wait to learn Spanish fluently!

Interesting. What seems to be the problem with getting her citizenship? I have friend who just did the process and she did not encounter any major problems.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:52 am

Very good article. It should be required reading for anyone coming to South America who expects to work here, open a business or make some money. I've got a weird feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, or London, or Glasgow or Berlin...

And the original article is complete tosh. All this stuff about the jobs ain't coming back is just wrong. They are! UK unemployment is at 6%. Yeah, some jobs are going to Mexico or Eastern Europe, but with the shale gas boom and cheap energy, it's now almost as cheap to hire an American worker, once you take in factors like transport and logistics, as it is to hire a worker from China.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:35 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:UK unemployment is at 6%.

I am wondering if that figure is real.

Officially, in Belgium the unemployment rate is 8.4% but the real percentage of people that are out of work is higher.
People that are over 50 and unemployed are no longer counted as they no longer have to sign on but they still get unemployment benefit. People that just graduated have to wait 1 year before the can sign on and claim benefits so they aren't included in the unemployment figure but they are also unemployed.
And then there are the people who lost their unemployment benefit because they refused a job offer or didn't do enough effort to look for a job.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register