Why is the Peruvian (Western) expat community so weak?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why is the Peruvian (Western) expat community so weak?

Postby randomperson » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:31 pm

I have found the expat community to be very polarized, fragmented and occasionally downright hostile. Why is this so?

Other immigrant communities form alliances and are far more industrious, they relay goods back and forth from their home countries, collaborate, establish business together by pooling their talents, find a need, fill it and prosper. Why is the Western expatriate community in Peru unable to do this?

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Why is the Peruvian (Western) expat community so weak?

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 pm

randomperson wrote:Other immigrant communities form alliances and are far more industrious, they relay goods back and forth from their home countries, collaborate, establish business together by pooling their talents, find a need, fill it and prosper. Why is the Western expatriate community in Peru unable to do this?

Which are the other immigrant groups in Peru?

The are a lot of Chinese people in Peru but they aren't real expats. They have been here for generations and most of them are born in Peru. But somehow, they keep their Chinese traditions and Chinese is their main language.
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:41 pm

read: Western not Chinese
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:51 pm

randomperson wrote:I have found the expat community to be very polarized, fragmented and occasionally downright hostile. Why is this so?

Other immigrant communities form alliances and are far more industrious, they relay goods back and forth from their home countries, collaborate, establish business together by pooling their talents, find a need, fill it and prosper. Why is the Western expatriate community in Peru unable to do this?

Good question.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I agree with your observation, although I don't know the reason why. Maybe no good leader-type person has yet arrived to spark potentially interested people into doing something that maters?

I for one would LOVE to offer my professional skills to start a side business with someone, help other native English speakers to learn Spanish, make arrangements to share import responsibilities, or just have a beer and talk about things that matter.

I'm new but I've been lurking on these forums for a few months and have been less than impressed. But -- things can change, so, let's change it?
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Decades ago or a century ago the european expat communities were united enough to build schools, cemetery, cultural centers and health facilities and facilities for elderly people.
The italian expats had a hospital, schools , sport facilities and cultural centers also some of them found a bank they and the japanese community were the most organized.
The britons made a cemetery, el cementerio británico and sport clubs like Lima cricket ad schools and the anglican church and a health care facility.
Germans also had a sport and social club and schools.
Frenchs build two hspitals , the maison of sainte and schools and cultural centers.
Chinese community for long time were the less organized because they were poor.
The jews also were organized they had a big sinagogue on Brasil avenue they demolished three decades ago when most of them left Peru because the violent decade and because the financial crisis. They also have schools and sport and social facilities.
jarek / kanter

Postby jarek / kanter » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:44 pm

So how many people are we really talking about ? Or maybe its just thus forum that is not popular among them ?

For sure the expat community is more visible for example in Buenos Aires or Dubai...
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Dave wrote:I agree with your observation, although I don't know the reason why. Maybe no good leader-type person has yet arrived to spark potentially interested people into doing something that maters?

I for one would LOVE to offer my professional skills to start a side business with someone, help other native English speakers to learn Spanish, make arrangements to share import responsibilities, or just have a beer and talk about things that matter.

I'm new but I've been lurking on these forums for a few months and have been less than impressed. But -- things can change, so, let's change it?

How refreshing to see that I'm not the only one who has noticed this but that you also offer to be a part of the solution...maybe we're onto something here.

I'm full of ideas and perhaps we can bounce them off each other over that beer you mentioned.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register