Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
eve81
Silver Member
Silver Member

cheap tickets uk to lima

Postby eve81 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:29 am

Hi All,

Not posted on the boards for a while as living in UK,
We are coming to visit my Husbands family in December and wondered which airlines i could get a decent price with, haven't flown since 2010 so a bit rusty!
Also needing to fly lima tacna return, any cheap way of doing it for non peruvians

any help much appreciated,
Eve81

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: cheap tickets uk to lima

Postby chi chi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:54 pm

eve81 wrote:Hi All,
Not posted on the boards for a while as living in UK,
We are coming to visit my Husbands family in December and wondered which airlines i could get a decent price with, haven't flown since 2010 so a bit rusty!
Also needing to fly lima tacna return, any cheap way of doing it for non peruvians

any help much appreciated,
Eve81

Bying a ticket from the UK straight to will be more expensive. A seperate ticket for the Lima-Tacna flight will work out cheaper. Peruvian Airlines flies to Tacna. They don't charge extra for gringos.

Check out http://www.avianca.com They fly non stop from London to Bogota and you can connect to Lima in Bogota. They often have promotional fares.

Look at http://www.united.com
Expect rude crew, horrible slop served on board and filthy ageing aircrafts with uncomfortable seats but that's why their fares are cheap. After all: ''you get what you pay for''

I had to travel a few times because unfortunately they had the cheapest fares.

At http://www.expedia.com, you might find a bargain as well.

KLM often has good deals as well out of the UK. Flights will be via Ámsterdam but transfers are smooth and KLM is very reliable.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:20 pm

Don't fly often but yep KLM who partner with Delta are pretty good value usually. You can connect in Amsterdam or Atlantaboth of which are good airports if you are stuck there for a few hours.
eve81
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby eve81 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks guys,

Got them booked for just over £600 so not bad for december really,
Just gonna do my lima - tacna return at a later date i think.

Peru here I come! not flying till December 14th, anyone needs any English treats bringing let me know!

Cheers Eve
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:18 pm

What I really hate about KLM is that they never offer the same reasonable prices flying form Peru to the UK.
Example, flying from Manchester to Lima, with a stop in Amsterdam on the 14th December, and returning one month later will set you back USD 1,788.59 or 1056 pounds.
I have requested an answer to the question, why? on numerous occasions but, never received an answer.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:24 pm

panman wrote:What I really hate about KLM is that they never offer the same reasonable prices flying form Peru to the UK.
Example, flying from Manchester to Lima, with a stop in Amsterdam on the 14th December, and returning one month later will set you back USD 1,788.59 or 1056 pounds.
I have requested an answer to the question, why? on numerous occasions but, never received an answer.

I was used to work as a flight attendant for KLM.
Rates for flying from Ámsterdam are higher than flying from another EU country.

Rates from countries like Peru are more expensive because there's less competition. Only IBERIA and AIREUROPA are competitors that offer direct flights to Europe. AIRFRANCE also has a daily flight from Lima to Paris but the KLM and Air France belong to the same group KLM-AIRFRANCE.

Flight via the US are far cheaper but few Peruvians can book those flights as they need an aditional visa for the US. Europeans don't need a visa to travel to the US so US airlines charge Europeans less to avoid that they will fly with airlines that fly direct from Europe to Peru.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:06 am

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:What I really hate about KLM is that they never offer the same reasonable prices flying form Peru to the UK.

I was used to work as a flight attendant for KLM.
Rates for flying from Ámsterdam are higher than flying from another EU country.

Rates from countries like Peru are more expensive because there's less competition. Only IBERIA and AIREUROPA are competitors that offer direct flights to Europe. AIRFRANCE also has a daily flight from Lima to Paris but the KLM and Air France belong to the same group KLM-AIRFRANCE.

Flight via the US are far cheaper but few Peruvians can book those flights as they need an aditional visa for the US. Europeans don't need a visa to travel to the US so US airlines charge Europeans less to avoid that they will fly with airlines that fly direct from Europe to Peru.

So basically, as I suggested to KLM, they are abusing their market position.
Even though the minimum wage in England/Europe, is about 4 times that of the average wage in Peru (Lima) and even much much more than that in the provinces, KLM prefer to offer the best prices to people flying to, rather than people flying from Peru.
Sounds a bit like the LAN/Peruvian price senario to me.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:19 am

You might be being a bit tough on KLM. All airlines do it. Its called "market fares."
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:49 pm

teamoperu wrote:You might be being a bit tough on KLM. All airlines do it. Its called "market fares."

With that information in mind I will amend my complaint.

What I really hate about all airlines is that they never offer the same reasonable prices flying form Peru to the UK as they do, flying from the UK to Peru.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:15 pm

There are often special offers on flights to Madrid. You can then fly to Madrid and buy a cheap ticket with Ryanair or Easyjet to the UK.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 pm

chi chi wrote:There are often special offers on flights to Madrid. You can then fly to Madrid and buy a cheap ticket with Ryanair or Easyjet to the UK.

Assuming you're traveling as a tourist, the difference between most international flights and Ryanair baggage allowance is the problem. You end up paying a fortune for additional weight.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 am

panman wrote:
chi chi wrote:There are often special offers on flights to Madrid. You can then fly to Madrid and buy a cheap ticket with Ryanair or Easyjet to the UK.

Assuming you're traveling as a tourist, the difference between most international flights and Ryanair baggage allowance is the problem. You end up paying a fortune for additional weight.

Sure, Ryanair is cheap if you only fly with handluggage.

But flights to Brussels are often democratically priced and then you can take the train from Brussels to London.
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mickd » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:20 am

Hi Eve
When visiting your family in Lima, if the holiday is 30 days or less KLM return flight comes out at approx £650, if you want to stay longer the cost goes up to £985. I have queried this with KLM and never received a satisfactory answer why they increase, if even 1 day over.
Hope that you have a lovely holiday.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Air Europa has often good fares to London Gatwick. It's not the best airline but still much better than Iberia.

United Airlines has often low fares as well but when it comes to service, they are worst case scenario. They are the American Ryanair.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:45 pm

I flew once with Air Europe and the advantage with them was you were allowed to put two pieces of luggage in the hold. This was a few years ago, so I don't know if this still stands, but if you're planning on doing shopping or need to take a lot of gifts, it might be worth a look.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:16 am

$743 AA: Madrid to New York (JFK) to Lima to London (LHR), NY stopover 3 days
Madrid (MAD) to New York (JFK) - Thu, Jan 29

Madrid (MAD) to London (LHR) - Thu, Jan 29
American Airlines Inc. 8816 Dep: 8:20AM Arr: 9:50AM 2h 30m Airbus A320 Economy (O)
OPERATED BY IBERIA LINEAS AEREAS DE ESPANA S.A. Layover in LHR 1h 40m

London (LHR) to New York (JFK) - Thu, Jan 29
American Airlines Inc. 6134 Dep: 11:30AM Arr: 2:25PM 7h 55m Boeing 747 Economy (O)
OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS P.L.C.

New York (JFK) to Lima (LIM) - Tue, Feb 3
New York (JFK) to Miami (MIA) - Tue, Feb 3
American Airlines Inc. 2243 Dep: 5:57AM Arr: 9:03AM 3h 6m Boeing 737 Economy (O)
Layover in MIA 7h 52m

Miami (MIA) to Lima (LIM) - Tue, Feb 3
American Airlines Inc. 917 Dep: 4:55PM Arr: 10:45PM 5h 50m Boeing 767 Economy (O)

Lima (LIM) to London (LHR) - Thu, Feb 19
Lima (LIM) to Miami (MIA) - Thu, Feb 19
American Airlines Inc. 1558 Dep: 9:40AM Arr: 3:26PM 5h 46m Boeing 757 Economy (O)
Layover in MIA 2h 54m

Miami (MIA) to London (LHR) - Thu, Feb 19
American Airlines Inc. 108 Dep: 6:20PM Arr: 7:55AM 8h 35m Boeing 777 Economy (O)
Fri, Feb 20

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $742.64
Total cost for 1 passenger $742.64

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register