Opening A Restaurant: Advice, Thoughts, Wisdom?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rosiebick

Opening A Restaurant: Advice, Thoughts, Wisdom?

Postby rosiebick » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Hey All!

I've been thinking about opening a cafe/restaurant in Lima and was hoping to hear some of your experiences, stories, and ideas about doing so.

I'd be aiming for somewhere that tourists would likely be walking past, maybe Miraflores.

I'm not nieve to the fact that opening a restaurant is very hard work, has a high failure rate, and needs a lot of attention and participation. Some of my concerns are what actually goes into starting and maintaining a business in Peru? Will it be hard to find hardworking, loyal, and trustworthy staff? Could there be profit in a breakfast/lunch cafe/restaurant but not open for dinner?

I'm hoping to hear all your stories!!

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Opening A Restaurant: Advice, Thoughts, Wisdom?

Postby panman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:50 pm

rosiebick wrote:Hey All!

.......Will it be hard to find hardworking, loyal, and trustworthy staff? ......

Almost impossible.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 am

panman wrote:

.......Will it be hard to find hardworking, loyal, and trustworthy staff? ......

Almost impossible.

Yeah that´s right because You say so.
So how a bunch of chefs are getting rich in this city ? or You think they work alone and do everything to get success without any helper ?.
Gaston started his first restaurant with 40 thousand dollars at the end of the 90s and now He has an empire . Following what You think he worked alone and did eveything by his own .
Also there are guys who has restaurants in Los Olivos and other poor neighborhoods of Lima who are getting money doing that.
Not everybody succeed You have to learn about the market. You have to learn how to manage your business .
How to work with the local suppliers .
Just for information most of the seafood restaurants or cevicherias do not open for dinner.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:58 am

victmanu wrote:
panman wrote:

Almost impossible.

So how a bunch of chefs are getting rich in this city ? or You think they work alone and do everything to get success without any helper ?.
Gaston started his first restaurant with 40 thousand dollars at the end of the 90s and now He has an empire . Following what You think he worked alone and did eveything by his own .
Also there are guys who has restaurants in Los Olivos and other poor neighborhoods of Lima who are getting money doing that.
Not everybody succeed You have to learn about the market. You have to learn how to manage your business .
Just for information most of the seafood restaurants or cevicherias do not open for dinner.

Now now victor, don't get your knickers in a twist, I did say "almost imposible" not absolutely impossible.
Oh, and just for your information http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-peru-g ... oyee-13542
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:22 am

panman wrote:
victmanu wrote:
panman wrote:

Almost impossible.

Now now victor, don't get your knickers in a twist, I did say "almost imposible" not absolutely impossible.
Oh, and just for your information http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-peru-g ... oyee-13542

Ok, You are right all of us are thieves because one f...... guy stole money of a safe of a Gaston restaurant.
Then She should hire an expat to supervise the staff because You are the only honest people in this country .
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:18 am

I've been thinking about opening a cafe/restaurant in Lima and was hoping to hear some of your experiences, stories, and ideas about doing so.

I'd be aiming for somewhere that tourists would likely be walking past, maybe Miraflores.

I'm not nieve to the fact that opening a restaurant is very hard work, has a high failure rate, and needs a lot of attention and participation. Some of my concerns are what actually goes into starting and maintaining a business in Peru? Will it be hard to find hardworking, loyal, and trustworthy staff? Could there be profit in a breakfast/lunch cafe/restaurant but not open for dinner?

Did you ever run a restaurant/café before?

There are restaurants that make money but mainly because the owner owns the place and doesn't pay rent.
Rents in Miraflores are extortionate and on top of that you have to pay all kind of taxes to the municipalidad. Getting a licence is another pain in the rear end. A lot of requirements have to met in Miraflores.

Thrustworthy staff is tough to find. But not only in Peru. In Europe, it's also hard to find good staff.
Few people want to work weekends and bank holidays and the catering industry pays low wages.
Good chefs can be found but retaining them is harder. Good chefs are always looking around for a better wage.
As an owner, you always have to be present to check upon the quality of food and service and to keep you eyes on the cash register. If you turn your back to the cash register, dirty fingers will be in it.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:58 am

victmanu wrote:
panman wrote:
victmanu wrote:
panman wrote:

Almost impossible.

Ok, You are right all of us are thieves because one f...... guy stole money of a safe of a Gaston restaurant.
Then She should hire an expat to supervise the staff because You are the only honest people in this country .

Seems like you're trying to turn this into a race issue. Nobody said all of you are thieves, but to find a person who has a combination of the characteristics mentioned, "hardworking, loyal, and trustworthy" is an almost impossible task, and that's a fact you can either accept or ignore.
Now, perhaps someome else would like to offer the OP an opinion, before a simle question turns into the usual expat cat fight.
gringo from uk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringo from uk » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:32 am

Dear Friend. I don't have restaurant business experience, still would like to share my opinion. From Your questions, I assume You don't have previous experience in restaurant business and I am afraid You also not going to be a head chef and the place is rented. My friend , to execute Your plan successfully can be a challenge.
You have good angle for restaurant MENU to attract customers, cheerful waiters and you have energy to be in Your restaurant all days to run your restaurant up at least a first year or two, why not execute your plan.
With humor,I find myself thinking sometimes, to have a successful restaurant business You don't need more than clean bathrooms, smiling and attending waiters.
If You are open, don't hesitate to send invitation.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:55 am

there are ways to deter theft at a new business. keeping accurate inventories and installing cameras. due to the high population density and people who love to eat, i would not consider a restaurant impossible. do a little research and observation on your own. the only hurdle i would be concerned about is rent prices in Miraflores.
Last edited by caliguy on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Before even thinking about starting up your own restaurant, you should gain many years of work experience in the business.
You need experience as a waiter, chef, barman and kitchen porter.

If you can't cook, what are you going to do if the chef calls in sick or absconds because the restaurant around the corner offered him a better wage? Are you going to close the business till you find another chef?

A restaurant neither has it's clientele from day one. It easily takes years to gain a good customers base.

If you want to run a restaurant in Miraflores then you will face tough competition. Overheads costs are very high. Especially rent.
Most restaurants closed down as quick as the popped up.
jarek / kanter

Postby jarek / kanter » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Hello,

The folkes here are rather sceptical. Well, I don't want to sound to naive but it depends on the perspective and some discipline. I would not worry much about honesty of the staff there many ways to impose control even without sophisticated systems.
There is one important factor in my opinion that givess your possible business quite high chances of success.

But apart from that there is little data to analyze here.

Best of luck if you go for it though.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:37 pm

there are ways to deter theft at a new business. keeping accurate inventories and installing cameras.]

Looks like you've never worked in hospitality business. There are NO ways to deter theft 100% unless you are at a bar/restaurant all the time. I've worked in hospitality business (mostly bars) for many years in the USA, Europe, Australia and now own a restaurant in Peru and can tell you that an employee can always find a way around any camera, inventory or other way of surveillance or control.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:08 am

panman wrote:

Almost impossible.

Ah come'on now, you are starting to sound like chi chi, bashing Peruvians. Normally your quips make me laugh, this one less so. In some places in Peru, it would be hard to find a dishonest person. Indeed, I am 1000 times more likely to find an honest Peruvian in Ayabaca than an honest Belgium gringo in Tarapoto.

OP, when reading the skeptics, ask why then there are thousands and thousands of successful restaurants in Peru? However, it is a dream of many Peruvians to open a restaurant though so lots of competition. Many places do not make a go of it. But then, many do. Bad restaurants go out of business quickly, Peruvians know their food.

PS OP, you might not want to hire any gringos from Belgium to work in your restaurant, I have read here that some spit in the customers food.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:52 am

teamoperu wrote:
panman wrote:

Almost impossible.

Ah come'on now, you are starting to sound like chi chi, bashing Peruvians. Normally your quips make me laugh, this one less so. In some places in Peru, it would be hard to find a dishonest person. Indeed, I am 1000 times more likely to find an honest Peruvian in Ayabaca than an honest Belgium gringo in Tarapoto.

??? I am not bashing Peruvians but you are bashing people from Belgium.

I said that loyal and thrustworthy staff is hard to find in most countries.

It's hard to find professionally trained waiters and chefs. The odd working hours, working at weekends, bank holidays and holiday periods put people off. Most people that working in the catering business are young and single but once they get a partner and have children, they looking for a job with more social working hours.

Many people get a job in the catering business whilst applying for better paid jobs that meet their educational qualifications.
There are many people with a university degree that are waiting tables, do the washing up and help out in the kitchen. Those people aren't motivated to work in the catering business and don't have the intention to persue a carreer in catering. They are just there because they need money to pay their bills.

Restaurants in Europe and the US struggle to find staff that really want to work in the catering business that's why many restaurant owners resort to recruiting illegal immigrants. They work hard and are loyal. Mainly because they have no other option.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:01 am

mammamia wrote:There are NO ways to deter theft 100% unless you are at a bar/restaurant all the time. I've worked in hospitality business (mostly bars) for many years in the USA, Europe, Australia and now own a restaurant in Peru and can tell you that an employee can always find a way around any camera, inventory or other way of surveillance or control.

I was used in restaurants as well but I wouldn't even think about running my own restaurant. I would rather run a business that making less money but that's gives me less stress and worries.

Theft is something that restaurant owners should add to their overheads costs.

Not only staff steals. Customers steal as well. Cutlery, salt and pepper jars, small bottles like Tabasco,table decoration,...often gets stolen.

Suppliers often scams restaurant owners as well by delivering less products that are paid for.

Days off due to sickness is high as well in the catering industry. But many times staff call in sick but they aren't and just aren't in a mood to work but the restaurant owner still has to pay their wage when they are off sick. It's a kind of theft as well. I had colleages in the past that called in sick but on their sick days, they worked somewhere else so they got paid doublé.

http://www.anchin.com/Upload/Document/Rest_101Steal.pdf
jarek / kanter

Postby jarek / kanter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:08 pm

mammamia wrote:Looks like you've never worked in hospitality business. There are NO ways to deter theft 100% unless you are at a bar/restaurant all the time. I've worked in hospitality business (mostly bars) for many years in the USA, Europe, Australia and now own a restaurant in Peru and can tell you that an employee can always find a way around any camera, inventory or other way of surveillance or control.

Oh, you can definitely tell that right? :)
Where in Europe did you work? And if I may ask with your restaurant have you just owned it or also opened it ?
jarek / kanter

Postby jarek / kanter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Dear Rosie,

In my opinion before you start furst you need to answer youself this question: In what way your place is to be unique, different, interesting? Be it food, service, marketing, price range, etc.
Next step is all the rest and if you are ready for commitement and the numbers are right should be fine. No idea about the regulations and certifications here, but well the way some places look here even in miraflores it cannot be that demanding.

I think Peru and Lima is a place of big opportunities.

Best of luck.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:06 am

jarek / kanter wrote:I think Peru and Lima is a place of big opportunities.

Best of luck.

Before starting a restaurant in Miraflores, you must decide how much money you can afford to lose.

Most new restaurants fail. You might come up with a great idea, being very motivated and convinced that your plan will work.

But all the ones that failed also had a great idea, were very motivated and convinced that their system will work.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:20 am

For those who say it will be diffcult to find waiters and waitresses and cooks and helpers.
All of these schools train servers, cooks, bakers and restaurant managers.

Check this school for poor Teenagers who study and are trained to work in the hospitality industry.

And these schools for middle class teenagers who study or are trained for the hospitality industry.

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:37 am

victmanu wrote:For those who say it will be diffcult to find waiters and waitresses and cooks and helpers.
All of these schools train servers, cooks, bakers and restaurant managers.

"Will it be hard to find hardworking, loyal, and trustworthy staff"

A combination of the above is what was being disputed, not if their is suitably trained staff available.
jarek / kanter

Postby jarek / kanter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 am

chi chi wrote:
jarek / kanter wrote:I think Peru and Lima is a place of big opportunities.

Best of luck.

Before starting a restaurant in Miraflores, you must decide how much money you can afford to lose.

Most new restaurants fail. You might come up with a great idea, being very motivated and convinced that your plan will work.

But all the ones that failed also had a great idea, were very motivated and convinced that their system will work.

Of course they did, as they do everywhere. But how can you tell their ideas were great ? Many times people openning restaurants or bars make the same mistakes. However, I am not saying that it's easy. It's not!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:56 am

Before you start up your own restaurant, you should gain at least 10 years working experience as a chef, waiter, barman and kitchen porter. If you don't know all áreas of the business then you will fail. You have to learn the skills but you also need to know the bad habits of staff.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:11 pm

mammamia wrote:Looks like you've never worked in hospitality business. There are NO ways to deter theft 100%

"deter" by definition means to discourage or dissuade, not eliminate 100%.
theft doesn't just happen in the hospitality business either. i own a retail biz here in Lima and have had theft of parts from my equipment that hasn't been bolted down.
to the o.p: if you have a well thought out plan and a desire to produce a good quality product and service, and have enough $ to ride the ups and downs, i would say go for it.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:43 pm

Where in Europe did you work? And if I may ask with your restaurant have you just owned it or also opened it ?

Ok, if that matters much to you, I worked in Portugal and Greece. And, yes I designed, opened and invested my own money in that restaurant.
Last edited by mammamia on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:45 pm

i own a retail biz here in Lima

Oh, yes a retail business and hospitality/restaurant business have a lot in common!!!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 pm

caliguy wrote:
mammamia wrote:Looks like you've never worked in hospitality business. There are NO ways to deter theft 100%

"deter" by definition means to discourage or dissuade, not eliminate 100%.
theft doesn't just happen in the hospitality business either. i own a retail biz here in Lima and have had theft of parts from my equipment that hasn't been bolted down.

There's a easy way to eliminate theft for a 100% : all employees have to undergo a full body cavity search before leaving the premises. :lol:

it-underworld-81.jpg
it-underworld-81.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
ronaldleo91

Postby ronaldleo91 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:09 pm

hey man..ive been in peru for about 3 year..and ive been trying to do the same too..and i could help you telling you the few things iknow about it..im from maryland us..if you wanna talk let me know
johnconti

Postby johnconti » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:16 pm

OK here goes. I am going to try to distill some of the good advice and try to leave alone the BAD. I have been in the restaurant biz on more than one occasion and in more than one country. The original poster has a good attitude. And that is a good start. You do indeed have to work very hard and work long hours. BUT and I am being realistic not negative; you can do that and still fail. One of the things about the rest biz is that there are always too many of them, thus thinning out the business for everyone. There are reasons for this. It is relatively easy to get into the business and relatively inexpensive. And you do not need any special qualifications. The biz has a very high failure rate all over the world. There are even locations that seem to be jinxed or cursed. You could go into that spot and do just about everything right and still fail! Now almost everyone here has given you SOME good advice. It is not my intention to ridicule or hurt any feelings. This site could use a little more respect for one another. For instance one post says " there are no ways to deter theft 100% unless you are there all the time" someone came back with a sarcastic "oh you can definitely tell that right" and more sarcasm after that . I can tell you that even if you ARE there all the time employees can and will still steal. So you were both right and both wrong. Theft is a fact of life in any biz. You put a system in place and keep it to a minimum and forget about it. Theft is normally not what will put you out of business and in fact should not be a big deal in life in general, although some people dwell on it to their own detriment. The same person who made the sarcastic response actually has given the best advice. I am paraphrasing here "You furst(I couldn't resist that) Sorry.... "you first ask yourself in what way will your restaurant be unique, different, interesting etc." That is THE single most important piece of advice here. Estoy cansado, hasta manana(my keyboard doesn't have the n with the squiggly line on top!)
jarek / kanter

Postby jarek / kanter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Yay!

Thx Johnconti!
You furst!!! I am still laughing!
and I totally agree with your point and the dead places... you can say that again!

PS. and the sarcasm was about something else maybe my quote there was not clear.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Personally, a restaurant would be the last type of business I would start up.
Too much work, stress and tough to make a living.
And on top of that, you get all the hassle with staff.

I would rather start up a hostel.
Last edited by chi chi on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnconti

Postby johnconti » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:31 am

CHI CHI I totally agree. But that's just me!!!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:09 am

We have a place on the beach, next to a hotel (Pimentel). Perfect place for a restaurant bar (no rent). I wanted to open a bar and bistro, but security and extortion are a big problem as well as robbery.
They even may dynamite your home if you do not pay fees to the mafia.

Do not want to be facing a barrel of a gun.
aleman42

Postby aleman42 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:20 am

teamoperu....I'm with you ...chichi needs to get his/her poop together....a lot of bullshit and probably never been to peru...googled and doesn't even live here....5 star, Michelin restaurants ,y ass....nothing to do but sit in a loungechair sucking down donuts in Indiana, Iowa....yeah looked your negative ass up...downer
aleman42

Postby aleman42 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:26 am

want to have a chat let me know...many ideas....btw....do NOT listen to chichi....almost all of lima says he's full of crap....warning
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:35 am

aleman42 wrote:want to have a chat let me know...many ideas....btw....do NOT listen to chichi....almost all of lima says he's full of crap....warning

We will see. Post me PM when you get your licencia de funcionamiente, defensa civil and business visa sorted out and your business is running.

I'll be happy to check out your place. And if it's a decent place then I will be happy to highly recommend it to others.

Viel Glück.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:47 pm

Aleman, I like your positivity. You sound determined too. But let me ask you a question: why Peru? Does your wife, girlfriend or partner live here? Believe me, if I were you and had no strong family bonds to this country, Peru would be the last place in South America I would choose to come and open a small business in. Why not choose Paraguay which is somewhat unique in South America in that there is really no requirement for you to actually live in the country as a resident? You just have to open a small Paraguayan bank account, $5,000.00 if I'm not mistaken. Besides, with its large German speaking community it might be even easier for you to find your way around and open a diner or even a restaurant without having to invest large amounts of money, - you must know that to obtain a residency in Peru as an investor you'll need to invest at least $30,000.00 plus creating 5 jobs for locals. Peru is quite a unique place in terms of consumer preferences. I have a small restaurant myself and can tell you that the Peruvian consumer is a weird type: you may be selling better quality food in a nicer and cleaner restaurant but still many locals would prefer the traditional stuff sold at a nasty looking location. In addition, as Tupacperu said, security is a big problem, especially in Lima and northern provinces.
So, if you're looking for an adventure Peru would be OK, otherwise, I wouldn't recommend you start a business here.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:27 pm

mammamia wrote:I have a small restaurant myself and can tell you that the Peruvian consumer is a weird type: you may be selling better quality food in a nicer and cleaner restaurant but still many locals would prefer the traditional stuff sold at a nasty looking location.

I once asked my gf why those filthy looking places are always busy and often the clean and nice looking places struggle to get get customers through the door even if they the charge the same price as the the nasty looking places.
She told me that if a restaurant looks nice and clean then Peruvians think that it's an expensive place.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 pm

[i]
chi chi[/i] wrote:
Peruvians think that it's an expensive place.

That's exactly what a few Peruvian friends of mine told me: "your place looks too tidy and nice and it's also run by a gringo which is why many are just scared to come in". A lady who sells stuff next door once told me: "just because your place looks expensive common people feel uncomfortable and don't go on to my little tienda".

All this sounds ridiculous but I think that many Peruvians suffer an inferiority complex toward something foreign and different despite the fact that (according to Teamoperu) most of them aren't poor any more and can afford much more than before.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:46 pm

mammamia wrote:All this sounds ridiculous but I think that many Peruvians suffer an inferiority complex toward something foreign .

There we go...you said it :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Guiri wrote:
mammamia wrote:All this sounds ridiculous but I think that many Peruvians suffer an inferiority complex toward something foreign .

There we go...you said it :lol:

Because they know that foreign products are grossly overpriced.

Just check out the prices of Belgian beer, French wine, English cheese, Scottish Whisky, etc. at your local supermarket.
Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:07 am

In my opinion the path to success in the restaurant business in Lima is to form a coop. Where ALL the employess have a stake in the business. Promotes loyalty and profitability. Gives the younger generation a chance at a real career. After 25 years in the restaurant business I've seen and done it all. I'll post where and when we open some time in March.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register