Iquitos/Tarrapoto/architecture. /split fromRenting Apartment

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Iquitos/Tarrapoto/architecture. /split fromRenting Apartment

Postby chi chi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 pm

JanD wrote:

I spent a couple of times in Tarapoto and like it because I like the selva. But as most cities in the selva the city as such is ugly!
F.i. Iquitos is much more attractice for its architecture, atmosphere and surroundings.

BTW The only thing I agree with you is the horrible winter weather here in Lima!

Iquitos is humid, very dirty and very expensive.
I thought of moving to Iquitos but settled in Tarapoto as Tarapoto is clean, safe and nice. Tarapoto is easy accesible by road and by air. 5 airlines are serving Tarapoto.

Tarapoto is surrounded by mountains and there are several huge waterfalls.

The área surrounding Iquitos is nice if you like plants and animals but the city itself is a dump.

I suggest that the OP first stays in a hostel when he arrives and then travel to other places in Peru and settle in the place that he likes the most.

The first few days that you arrive in a new place, it's always interesting and exiting. But after a month or so that exitment starts fading and then you might regret coming settling down in that place. I suggest that he stays in a hostel or hotel for at least a month and then makes up his mind if Lima or any other place is the right place for him.

JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Renting Apartment in Lima - Deposits/Warranty - Should I pay

Postby JanD » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:26 am

ChiChi...The área surrounding Iquitos is nice if you like plants and animals but the city itself is a dump.

This shows that you know absolutely nothing about architecture. The architecture to be found in the center of Iquitos is absolutely unique :!:
Something like that is nowhere to be found in Tarapoto, which is just a pile of ugly buildings thrown together with no planning at all... :?
OK in nearby Lamas some crazy Italian is constructing an appaling, bad constructed phoney of a European castle :oops: .
Which most certainly to Tarapoto standards can be considered as the highlight of Tarapoto architecture :lol: .
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Iquitos/Tarrapoto/architecture. /split fromRenting Apartment

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:23 am

JanD wrote:This shows that you know absolutely nothing about architecture. The architecture to be found in the center of Iquitos is absolutely unique :!:

Most building in Iquitos have a calamina roof, walls of adobe or grey bricks and unplastered walls.

There are a few building that might have so unique architecture but they have been neglected for the last 50 years.

The whole of Iquitos is neglected. Roads are bad and dirty.

And then we didn't talk about Belem yet.

JanD wrote:Something like that is nowhere to be found in Tarapoto, which is just a pile of ugly buildings thrown together with no planning at all... :?
OK in nearby Lamas some crazy Italian is constructing an appaling, bad constructed phoney of a European castle :oops: .
Which most certainly to Tarapoto standards can be considered as the highlight of Tarapoto architecture :lol: .

Indeed, Tarapoto doens't have something like the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids of Gizeh or the Eifel Tower.
There are a lot of ugly building but it's improving. New modern buildings are being built and nice shops are popping up.
Tarapoto has many shops that sell quality products and designer clothing. In Iquitos, it's all Gamara and Polvos Azules style. The average person in Tarapoto has more money to spend than people in Iquitos.
People in Iquitos are some of the poorest in Peru.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:34 am

In Peru, they don't care about architecture or historic buildings.

The old center in Lima around el Palacio del Gobierno has some old building that are well preserved and Machu Pichu is looked after. But all the rest is neglected.

Old historic buildings are often torn down to make room for appartment buildings.
Miraflores is considered a tourist hotspot in Lima but was has it to offer when it comes to history or architecture?

The oldest and biggest building is probably the grey ugly office tower in front of Parque Kennedy.

Sagafalabella at the Ovalo is the most futuristic looking building in Miraflores.

Recently, I was in Mexico city. I have seen great architecture and well preserved historic buildings. Lima is nothing compared to Mexico city when it comes to history and architecture.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:17 pm

chi chi wrote:In Peru, they don't care about architecture or historic buildings.

The old center in Lima around el Palacio del Gobierno has some old building that are well preserved and Machu Pichu is looked after. But all the rest is neglected.

Old historic buildings are often torn down to make room for appartment buildings.
Miraflores is considered a tourist hotspot in Lima but was has it to offer when it comes to history or architecture?

The oldest and biggest building is probably the grey ugly office tower in front of Parque Kennedy.

Sagafalabella at the Ovalo is the most futuristic looking building in Miraflores.

Recently, I was in Mexico city. I have seen great architecture and well preserved historic buildings. Lima is nothing compared to Mexico city when it comes to history and architecture.

Once again, pretty much everything you say about Lima is FALSE. But JanD is right, there is not much architecturally in Taramoto, just a rough disorganized frontier town. I have trouble even finding one interesting building... the best I can find was the Club, but even that is dwarfed by the magnificent beauty of buildings in Lima.

You say "Indeed, Tarapoto doens't have something like the Taj Mahal, the Pyramids of Gizeh or the Eifel Tower. There are a lot of ugly building but it's improving. New modern buildings are being built and nice shops are popping up."

So here is a pic of the new modern building, so architecturally creative:
Attachments
P1000118.JPG
P1000118.JPG (43.96 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:47 pm

teamoperu wrote:Taramoto, just a rough disorganized frontier town.

Which frontier? The nearest border is 3 days away by boat or a 36 hours bus drive. There aren't frontiers near Tarapoto.

Nice picture of the Cinerama.

A week or two another Cinema opened in Morales. Subway and Domino's pizzas are going to open an outlet in that one.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:06 am

How exciting! The avant-guard architecture of Dominos and Subway, that sure will raise the visual aspect of Taramoto a notch or two.

Here is challenge for you. You post pictures of the wonderful architecture of Taramoto and for each on I'll post a pic of wonderful architecture of Lima. Lets see who runs out first. Indeed, I challenge you to post even 1 pic of any architecturally interesting building in Taramoto.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 am

teamoperu wrote:How exciting! The avant-guard architecture of Dominos and Subway, that sure will raise the visual aspect of Taramoto a notch or two.

Here is challenge for you. You post pictures of the wonderful architecture of Taramoto and for each on I'll post a pic of wonderful architecture of Lima. Lets see who runs out first. Indeed, I challenge you to post even 1 pic of any architecturally interesting building in Taramoto.

Who cares about architecture in Peru? Peru is a country where you visit the countryside.
Countryside and wildlife are nicer than buildings.

What sense does it make to stare at the facade of a building if you aren't allowed to go inside the building?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 am

You said in this thread: “Recently, I was in Mexico city. I have seen great architecture and well preserved historic buildings.” So great architecture is interesting in Mexico, but not Peru?

So I conclude that are are unable to take the challenge of posting a pic of even one architecturally interesting building in Taramoto? The thread topic is "Iquitos/Tarapoto/architecture."
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amigorick » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:39 pm

I live in Iquitos and can attest to the beauty of the old colonial buildings from the rubber baron era. The architecture is stunning.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:48 pm

amigorick wrote:I live in Iquitos and can attest to the beauty of the old colonial buildings from the rubber baron era. The architecture is stunning.

But almost all those building are neglected. If those buildings are restored then Iquitos will look a lot nicer.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:35 am

ChiChi But almost all those building are neglected. If those buildings are restored then Iquitos will look a lot nicer.

Don't know how long ago you visited Iquitos :cry: , but for your information: the overall majority of those buildings is restored :!:
For instance "Hotel Casa Morey" :idea: on the corner Loreto/Raimundi.
Walk along the Malecon starting at "Dawn at the Amazon Cafe", have a cup of coffee at their terrace.
Continue your tour along the Malecon overlooking the river and the forest beyond, have a look inside (and a drink at) the wonderful "Amazon Bistro" (btw: sympatic Belgian owner) :idea: and next visit, a little bit further on the Malecon, the museum in the wonderful building of the "Gobernacion Regional de Loreto" :idea: .

All over the old city centre you will observe those old "rubber era buildings" with their beautiful facades!

Btw, don't forget to have a look at the "Iron house" :idea: (developed/constructed by Eiffel: yes the "same guy" of the Eiffel Tower!) at the corner of the Plaza de Armas with Putumayo.

And since you are on a touristic tour: a "must visit" is the exotic, huge Belen Market :idea: .

No, really : Iquitos is a little, unique, gem on the Amazon!
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:56 pm

There is no doubt that, in general, Peruvians have little or no respect for their architectural heritage.
Most of the once elegant buildings in Lima centro and surrounding districts are in a disgraceful state of repair, a fact that was exploited in this great short film made by Sodimac.
Just look at what a lick of paint can do.

http://youtu.be/oZxVUiK4vew
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Panman: There is no doubt that, in general, Peruvians have little or no respect for their architectural heritage.

Unfortunately that is true!
When you see how many elegant old mansions or just typical local buildings in f.i. Miraflores have been demolished during the last decade, only to be replaced by huge apartment buildings, is really such a pity (which is an understatement!).
Local government in MF is trying to save the heritage by offering subsidies to owners of such old houses, but it is fighting an upward battle.
Because owners can make so much money by selling their houses to real estate companies, that it is almost irresistible.

But I think, that there is some shift in focus noticeable: the other day I saw a sign on an old building in reconstruction in Lima Centro saying that it was made possible thanks to the support of some kind of "heritage fund".
Last edited by JanD on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:15 am

The government fully admits and reports that they have insufficient funds to maintain all heritage buildings. They are doing some, I give them credit for that. Helped by the private sector that puts their stores inside and thereby preserve it. A example is the Ripley store in Chiclayo inside a wonderful edifice on the main square. There are many other examples.

chi chi, I am still waiting for a pic of any wonderful edifices in Taramoto? Does one exist?
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 pm

chi chi, I am still waiting for a pic of any wonderful edifices in Taramoto? Does one exist?

Me to....and by the way, please :shock: do everyone a pleasure and don't come up with a picture of that monstrosity of a castle in Lamas :oops: !
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:17 pm

JanD wrote:
Local government in MF is trying to save the heritage by offering subsidies to owners of such old houses, but it is fighting an upward battle.
Because owners can make so much money by selling their houses to real estate companies, that it is almost irresistible. .

More than a subsidy, they are experimenting with a plan that allows house owners to sell the "air rights" above their home to builders constructing in high density corridors, allowing these guys to add the extra meterage to their new building above and beyond the allowable.

I think it is a great idea, but in practice, I am curious to see how it works out. I mean, these old houses will fall down some day, but what will become of the air rights they have sold off?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:49 am

JanD wrote:

Me to....and by the way, please :shock: do everyone a pleasure and don't come up with a picture of that monstrosity of a castle in Lamas :oops: !

Well, I guess he has changed his tune. Now he is saying: "If you are after historic buildings or amazing architecture then Tarapoto doesn't have lot to offer for you."
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Well a friend of mine who is also a member of this forum has been in Tarapoto two weeks ago and he posted a lot of beautiful pictures from it in his FB. He has also been in Iquitos, but prefers Tarapoto.

I must admit that there are a lot of places in Tarapoto looking very nice. So something must be there.

I personally do not care as in the selva there is too much humidity which I absolutely can't stand.

But chi chi who says that he lives in Tarapoto should show some pictures, words are only words, but pictures can tell the story.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 pm

I too have been to Taramoto, many times. IMHO sir chichi oversells it and in fact makes up false stories about Taramoto. For a different view read this thread and it even has photos:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25014&p=131829&hilit=truth#p131829

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register