Buying Sardines in Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
thecohen

Buying Sardines in Lima

Postby thecohen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:15 pm

I apologize for the highly esoteric headline but I'm currently in search of something very specific in this city. I'm big on eating healthy on the cheap and one of the best ways to arbtirage the two in the US is to eat high-quality canned sardines (they taste good, I promise). Now, I have been able to find sardines in places like Vivanda (I live in Miraflores) however, they are all imported from Europe and insanely overpriced. I also am aware that Peru is a huge producer and exporter of sardines.

Does anyone know where to buy Peruvian canned sardines? I would imagine they're really inexpensive. I just need to find the spot!

Thanks!

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying Sardines in Lima

Postby sbaustin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 pm

The wong branded sardines are made by a peruvian company. My father in law works for that company as well.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:02 pm

How about tinned anchovetas? Inexpensive, plentiful, and tasty.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Why would you eat canned stuff if you can get the real deal?...? Dont get it reallly :?
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:56 am

Guiri wrote:Why would you eat canned stuff if you can get the real deal?...? Dont get it reallly :?

Simple. They taste better :lol:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:35 am

thecohen wrote:I apologize for the highly esoteric headline but I'm currently in search of something very specific in this city. I'm big on eating healthy on the cheap and one of the best ways to arbtirage the two in the US is to eat high-quality canned sardines (they taste good, I promise). Now, I have been able to find sardines in places like Vivanda (I live in Miraflores) however

Vivanda is the most expensive supermarket in Peru. Tottus, Metro are cheaper. Or go to the markets, they are far cheaper. One of the best markets is the one in Magdalena Del Mar. It's at the Plaza and can easy be reached by bus from Miraflores.

But what I don't understand is that you say that you want to eat healthy on the cheap. Then why don't you buy fresh fish instead of canned stuff? Canned stuff always contains preservants and God knows whatever else they poor into it.

I always buy Tilipia. It's cheap, healthy and tasty.

If you still prefer canned stuff then canned Tuna fish can be found everywhere. You can but it at any market, supermarket and mom and pop corner store.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:09 am

panman wrote:
Guiri wrote:Why would you eat canned stuff if you can get the real deal?...? Dont get it reallly :?

Simple. They taste better :lol:
I strongly doubt that, but ok. :lol:
thecohen

Postby thecohen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Ok Wong branded Sardines it is. Will check it out. Thank you.

For those of you recommending tuna, it's a) rather expensive here b) not nearly as healthy as sardines c) known to contain pollutants as it's such a large fish.

For those of you balking at wanting tin sardines as opposed to the fresh fish, they are a) way less of a hassle b) preserve in oil and vacuum without the need for any preservatives and c) taste exactly the same. Do some research.

I live two blocks from Vivanda. It's a convenience thing.

Thanks!
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Strolling the big Magdalena market you will find sardines. Little tins and big tins. And I agree, they are great. Some are in oil and other in tomato juice... I have a whole pile in my food store room.

Some bodegas also have them. I bought a whole box from a bodega opposite ''Impresso Grafico'' on Calle Joaquin Capelo, corner with Av. La Mar, block 5 or 6 i think.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Oh, and they are really cheap. Not the rip off prices of Wong and Co.
thecohen

Postby thecohen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Awesome. Is there a comparable place in Miraflores or is that market the best?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:35 pm

thecohen wrote:Ok Wong branded Sardines it is. Will check it out. Thank you.

For those of you recommending tuna, it's a) rather expensive here b) not nearly as healthy as sardines c) known to contain pollutants as it's such a large fish.

For those of you balking at wanting tin sardines as opposed to the fresh fish, they are a) way less of a hassle b) preserve in oil and vacuum without the need for any preservatives and c) taste exactly the same. Do some research.

I live two blocks from Vivanda. It's a convenience thing.

Thanks!

Hi.. Tuna is no match, I agree.. but, have you tried anchovetas? The ones packed in just oil are similar to sardines, and you can find others with all kinds of sauces and flavors. They are fished locally and are a bargain..
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:41 am

thecohen wrote:Awesome. Is there a comparable place in Miraflores or is that market the best?

You should try that market, look around and ask too.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:50 pm

thecohen wrote:I apologize for the highly esoteric headline but I'm currently in search of something very specific in this city. I'm big on eating healthy on the cheap and one of the best ways to arbtirage the two in the US is to eat high-quality canned sardines (they taste good, I promise). Now, I have been able to find sardines in places like Vivanda (I live in Miraflores) however, they are all imported from Europe and insanely overpriced. I also am aware that Peru is a huge producer and exporter of sardines.

Does anyone know where to buy Peruvian canned sardines? I would imagine they're really inexpensive. I just need to find the spot!

Thanks!

Let´s be honest @thecohen:
You are definitely living in the wrong part of town for cheap things.
Move to San Juan de Miraflores or Huaycan :roll: and get some FRESH food, including fish.
It will be 2 to 4 times cheaper than in Miraflowers and it will taste the same, I promise.
In fact you will have so much bucks left over that you can wallow in healthy and cheap food.

I suggest you leave the cheap canned fish, including sardinas, which the Ministerio de Produccion is frequently selling to the poor for the poor and put the money on the counter.

By the way: How many tons do you need of this item???? :shock:

Apart from that:
Yes, it is a paradox that one can buy the same Peruvian canned fish that costs about 5 to 6 Soles in Peru for approx. 2 - 2,5 Soles in Europe. I am still awaiting enlightenment but I cannot get rid of the feeling that the manufacturer-vender-customer-relationship in Peru is special, very special...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:56 am

gringito wrote:Yes, it is a paradox that one can buy the same Peruvian canned fish that costs about 5 to 6 Soles in Peru for approx. 2 - 2,5 Soles in Europe. I am still awaiting enlightenment but I cannot get rid of the feeling that the manufacturer-vender-customer-relationship in Peru is special, very special...

Peruvians pay ripp off prices for everything. Especially for imported stuff.

Yesterday, I bought some green asparagus and some other fruit imported from Peru at a streetstall in the Bronx in New York and the price was lower than I paid in Peru.

Last week, I compared the price of my laptop and other electrical ítems I bought in Peru with the prices in New York. Prices in the US are lower.

Peru is expensive.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:51 am

chi chi wrote:
gringito wrote:Yes, it is a paradox that one can buy the same Peruvian canned fish that costs about 5 to 6 Soles in Peru for approx. 2 - 2,5 Soles in Europe. I am still awaiting enlightenment but I cannot get rid of the feeling that the manufacturer-vender-customer-relationship in Peru is special, very special...

Yesterday, I bought some green asparagus and some other fruit imported from Peru at a streetstall in the Bronx in New York and the price was lower than I paid in Peru.

Last week, I compared the price of my laptop and other electrical ítems I bought in Peru with the prices in New York. Prices in the US are lower.

Peru is expensive.

Really, you had to go all the way to NY to discover imported electronics are more expensive in Peru?

BTW I do not believe you bought fruit imported from Peru at a food stall in NY cheaper than Peru unless you do not know how to shop in Peru - and maybe you do not if the electronics is a surprise to you.

I recently bought a delicious cheap lucuma milkshake in Peru that would cost way more in NY - oh, wait, you can't get that in NY.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:25 am

teamoperu wrote:BTW I do not believe you bought fruit imported from Peru at a food stall in NY cheaper than Peru unless you do not know how to shop in Peru - and maybe you do not if the electronics is a surprise to you.

I recently bought a delicious cheap lucuma milkshake in Peru that would cost way more in NY - oh, wait, you can't get that in NY.

I shop in NY in the same way as in Peru.
In Peru you can either buy bananas at Vivanda in San Isidro or at the mercado at Minka in Callao.
In NY, you buy bananas at a food store at the 5th Avenue or at the streetstalls run by ilegal Latinos in the Bronx. And just like in Peru, you haggle at the mercado.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 am

chi chi wrote:

Peru is expensive.

"Yesterday, I bought some green asparagus and some other fruit imported from Peru at a streetstall in the Bronx in New York and the price was lower than I paid in Peru."

OK Prove it. Take a photo and post it of the price of asparagus imported from Peru (or other fruit) at the food stalls in NY.
I am truly curious how an asparagus producer in Peru can ship (fly) asparagus and sell it in NY cheaper than not flying it to NY and selling it in Lima.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:46 am

teamoperu wrote:I am truly curious how an asparagus producer in Peru can ship (fly) asparagus and sell it in NY cheaper than not flying it to NY and selling it in Lima.

They can only charge what people are prepared to pay for it. Peruvians are used to pay ripp off prices and retailers know they can get away with it. The big retailers in Peru fix prices. If you see something in Saga, it will have the same price in Ripley or Tottus.

Same with motorbikes. There are several Honda retailers in Tarapoto. They charge exactly the same prices and they don't give discounts.

Laptops and TV's are made in China but they are sold at a lower price in the US than in Peru although the distance is almost the same.

2 years ago, I was at the Lidl in Ireland and saw a bunch of green Peruvians asparagus for sale for 0.99 euros. At the supermarkets in Peru, they sell the same bunch for 5 soles or 1.35 euros.

Peru is expensive. 5 years ago, it wasn't that bad but prices have gone up a lot in the last few years.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:I am truly curious how an asparagus producer in Peru can ship (fly) asparagus and sell it in NY cheaper than not flying it to NY and selling it in Lima.

They can only charge what people are prepared to pay for it. Peruvians are used to pay ripp off prices and retailers know they can get away with it. The big retailers in Peru fix prices. If you see something in Saga, it will have the same price in Ripley or Tottus.

Same with motorbikes. There are several Honda retailers in Tarapoto. They charge exactly the same prices and they don't give discounts.

Laptops and TV's are made in China but they are sold at a lower price in the US than in Peru although the distance is almost the same.

2 years ago, I was at the Lidl in Ireland and saw a bunch of green Peruvians asparagus for sale for 0.99 euros. At the supermarkets in Peru, they sell the same bunch for 5 soles or 1.35 euros.

Peru is expensive. 5 years ago, it wasn't that bad but prices have gone up a lot in the last few years.

OK Prove it. Take a photo and post it of the price of asparagus imported from Peru (or other fruit) at the food stalls in NY.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:24 pm

teamoperu wrote: Take a photo and post it of the price of asparagus imported from Peru

I do not even find asparagus here in my local market or my local stores in Peru! :shock:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register