AUSTRALIAN wanting to apply for dual citizenship

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Lisaastrid

AUSTRALIAN wanting to apply for dual citizenship

Postby Lisaastrid » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:34 am

Hi Everybody,

I'm new on here so thanks for having me on board.

Currently living in the UK, I am looking to do a big trip next year to South America and want to travel freely. Australian born and bred, my mother is peruvian but gave up her citizenship to become Australian in the 70's (apparently she didn't have a choice).
I was wondering if there is anyway I can apply for my dual citizenship?

I have recently read that Australia does begrudgingly accept this... I have also read a few more articles but I can't get a straight answer from anywhere. That being said I am calling the embassy tomorrow.

My mother, after living in Australia for 25 years, is not the biggest fan of this idea and has told me it's a very difficult process, but what are other people's experiences? Any tips? Any loopholes I should know about?

Thanks and looking forward in hearing responses!

Lisa x

TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: AUSTRALIAN wanting to apply for dual citizenship

Postby TonyLeslie » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:06 pm

I honestly cannot help you exactly, but in my case (also Australian) I can get a Peruvian Passport given the time I am here and passing the mandatory tests and working through the horrendous Peruvian red tape. Having lived here for three and a half years I am past the eligible time in which I can start the process of dual passport holder. In my case, I am married to a Peruvian so I have a Carnet de Extranjeria which I renew every six months to maintain my residence status.

I am guessing you are thinking of applying in the UK before your trip and because your mother is Peruvian by birth so this may make you automatically eligible. (of course, you may not be thinking this way) This is where I cannot help you. I think something similar has been written here before, although not necessarily from an Australian Peruvian, but the process would be pretty much identical regardless of the nationality of the applicant. Someone might know where to find a similar post in the archives here.

In regards to the Australian Govt saying they begrudgingly accept this, personally, I don't think they care one way or another as long as you know you must enter and leave Australia on your Australian passport. However, if you enter another country on a second (Peruvian) passport, Chile as example where you can save the $95.00 US dollars recripricol payment by using a Peruvian passport, I am not sure what happens if you get into problems. Not sure how much assistance you would get from the Australian Embassy if you enter as a Peruvian citizen.

Wish I could help more.
Lisaastrid

Postby Lisaastrid » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi TonyLeslie,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I have spoken more to my mother and we are going to start applying at the sydney consulate when I am moving back.

She is very apprehensive as she has heard its hard work and it takes up to 1 year to get your peruvian passport. Hard work as a lot of paying different departments this much, official signatures here and there, immigration letters getting lost, and for her to apply for a DNI....

I have seen a few similar posts on here but I'm not getting a definite answer and advice for people who have been in my position unfortunately.... nonetheless thanks for your help!!
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm pretty sure Peru doesn't let go of you even if you give up your citizenship; but not 100% sure; so that is a good start.
If Peru considered your mother as a Peruvian, the only way for you to become a Resident would be if you were a single daughter and your mother lived in Peru. In order to claim residency you would have to proove that you are single.
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:14 pm

You just want to get a Peruvian passport to travel around South America???

With an Australian passport you can travel anywhere in South America without hassle. Some countries will charge you a reprocity fee but I will work out cheaper than paying for all the tramites to get a Peruvian passport.

Unless you want to live in Peru indefinitely, a Peruvian passport is of no much use. Loads of countries will require you to apply for a visa when you want to travel.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:18 pm

I was thinking Lisa, I hope you might get time to scribble down the process that you go through and post it here for future reference. Maybe anyone from the Commonwealth Countries thinking along the same lines would face a similiar course of action. Mind you, there is probably not that many people of Peruvian descent in your position or thinking.

I would also think, that the process may well be done more efficiently in Australia, if it is at all possible, depending on whether you need to have any part of it sent to Lima for processing.

Good Luck.
elbrat

Postby elbrat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:37 am

Lisaastrid wrote:Hi Everybody,

I'm new on here so thanks for having me on board.

Currently living in the UK, I am looking to do a big trip next year to South America and want to travel freely. Australian born and bred, my mother is peruvian but gave up her citizenship to become Australian in the 70's (apparently she didn't have a choice).
I was wondering if there is anyway I can apply for my dual citizenship?

I have recently read that Australia does begrudgingly accept this... I have also read a few more articles but I can't get a straight answer from anywhere. That being said I am calling the embassy tomorrow.

My mother, after living in Australia for 25 years, is not the biggest fan of this idea and has told me it's a very difficult process, but what are other people's experiences? Any tips? Any loopholes I should know about?

Thanks and looking forward in hearing responses!

Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

I'm very new to this forum, well actually I've been lurking around for ages but never signed up to actually post something till I saw your post and decided to iinput my 2c.

Basically I was in a sorta similar situation as yourself and my mums friends son was in the exact same sitch.
My mum and her mate came to Australia in 69 and early 70's and both had to give up their Peruvian citizenship in order to take up Australian citizenship (it was the law at the time). My mum however didn't give up her peruvian citizenship and moved back to peru in 79 and I was then born in 80's so I was born in Peru. We moved back to oz in 86. My mums friends son however was born in Australia.

For him this was the process:
His mum had to get back her citizenship. So she had to change her old LE (libreta electoral) to the new DNI. I think she also had to present her birth cert.
He had to get his LM (libreta militar) or militry card, this has now been abolished so I dont think you need to do this. He is older than me so he did the process like ages ago.
After his libreta militar came he had to get his DNI.
Once he got his DNI he could then apply for his passport.

Now this was ages ago so best bet is to call up the consulate in sydney and ask them for advise, as laws, rules and things change over time. They are really nice btw and very helpful. My experience with them has always been positive. For me to become a citizen of peru it was fairly simple. Just had to show my birth cert and fill out a form since i was born there.
On the DNI form from memory it asks to put your parents name, dob and place of birth. I think that determines if you can be a citizen ie if your mum was born in peru etc.

Once you get your 'fitcha' for your DNI (so the receipt) you can track it online. They need to send the docs back to Peru and then they send out your DNI to the sydney consulate where you can pick it up. HOWEVER if after you get your 'fitcha' and you find yourself in Peru at the time that your DNI is ready to be picked up. You can do this: (this is what I did). You go to the reniec web site and get a 'duplicado DNI' I think its like S/. 20 or something and you choice where you want to pick it up from. It normally takes about 24 to 48 hours to process and you can also track this online. Once it's ready go to the reniec office and pick up your DNI. The next day or on the same day, up to you, go to 'banco de la nacion' and pay S/. 39 for a passport. With this you can now go to the passport office and get your passport on the same day. I actually went the following day early to the one under the plaza on oval gutierrez in miraflores. Woke up early, walked down and had my brand new passport in my hands by midday that same day.

I got my peruvian passport because it was cheaper to travel around south america. I saved heaps on fees and visas for chile, argentina, brasil and paraguay. Also I travel to Bali about 3 or so times a year and its saved me a few hundred bucks over the years on the visa on arrival for indo. The only other benefit was going on hols to russia last yr. Personally for me it was a no brainer. The passport costs about 16 bucks AUD and has saved me hundreds or bucks. If it was as expo as the aussie one ($240) then i might of had my reservations.

Another reason that I did get my citizenship back was cause i was living in peru for about 1.5yrs and my partner and I plan on moving there in the future, hence my lurking on this site.

I wish you well and hope that it goes fairly smoothly for you.

Good luck :D
Cheers.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register