Kuelap

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kuelap

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:20 pm

Has anyone been to Kuelap recently? If so, any recommendations on the best way to go and routes to take. Going to Chachapoyas from Chiclayo by bus seems to be the best route and then heading to Tingo, or Pueblo Maria to make the hike.

I also read in an oldish guide book that you can also come from Cajamarca, but the road is meant to partly unpaved and very rough and ready. Is that still true?

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kuelap

Postby teamoperu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:19 am

Sergio Bernales wrote:Has anyone been to Kuelap recently? If so, any recommendations on the best way to go and routes to take. Going to Chachapoyas from Chiclayo by bus seems to be the best route and then heading to Tingo, or Pueblo Maria to make the hike.

I also read in an oldish guide book that you can also come from Cajamarca, but the road is meant to partly unpaved and very rough and ready. Is that still true?

I don't find the road from Chachapoyos to Kuelap too bad, but I travel the sierras a lot. To be more analytical... Yeah, the road snakes it way into and out of valleys and around points, quite a long way considering the distance as a bird flies is quite short. Sometimes some washouts to navigate. You can take the road, I like the scenery, but ironically you can see Kuelap across the valley from almost the beginning. The other option is to go directly to the foot of the mountain and there is a guy there with a lodge and he will take you by horse zigzagging up, a direct route up versus the serpentine road route.

Edit: Oh you meant the Cajamarca-Chachapoyas road. I prefer Chiclayo-Chacapoyas route, better condition.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:21 pm

teamoperu wrote:
Sergio Bernales wrote:Has anyone been to Kuelap recently? If so, any recommendations on the best way to go and routes to take. Going to Chachapoyas from Chiclayo by bus seems to be the best route and then heading to Tingo, or Pueblo Maria to make the hike.

I don't find the road from Chachapoyos to Kuelap too bad, but I travel the sierras a lot. To be more analytical... Yeah, the road snakes it way into and out of valleys and around points, quite a long way considering the distance as a bird flies is quite short. Sometimes some washouts to navigate. You can take the road, I like the scenery, but ironically you can see Kuelap across the valley from almost the beginning. The other option is to go directly to the foot of the mountain and there is a guy there with a lodge and he will take you by horse zigzagging up, a direct route up versus the serpentine road route.

Edit: Oh you meant the Cajamarca-Chachapoyas road. I prefer Chiclayo-Chacapoyas route, better condition.

TP, I did mean the Cajamarca-Chachapoyas road and yeah, I thought Chiclayo would be better, but that is a great tip nonetheless. Thanks for both of them.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:12 pm

Anybody got any good hotel recommendations around Kuelap?
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:19 am

We were there a week ago. We stayed at Hotel Villa de Paris in Chachapoyas which was ok. It was 140 soles for a matrimonial room.

We got a mini bus to Kuelap for 40 soles each plus entry 15 soles. We were going to arrange it privately but it was much easier to just get the bus. All of the other tours from Chachapoyas were the same price. The bus left the hotel at 8:45am and took two hours to get there.

I saw other hotels on the way, and quite close to Kuelap, but I'm not sure about transport to the site.

Take a waterproof with you as it gets pretty chilly at 3000m when it rains. Also shoes with some grip on the soles, not like my stupid shoes. Be prepared for a 800m hike up to the site. Actually, you can get a horse ride up.

Well worth the effort.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:52 pm

[quote="Slippery Jack"]We were there a week ago. We stayed at Hotel Villa de Paris in Chachapoyas which was ok. It was 140 soles for a matrimonial room.

We got a mini bus to Kuelap for 40 soles each plus entry 15 soles. We were going to arrange it privately but it was much easier to just get the bus. All of the other tours from Chachapoyas were the same price. The bus left the hotel at 8:45am and took two hours to get there.

I saw other hotels on the way, and quite close to Kuelap, but I'm not sure about transport to the site.

Take a waterproof with you as it gets pretty chilly at 3000m when it rains. Also shoes with some grip on the soles, not like my stupid shoes. Be prepared for a 800m hike up to the site. Actually, you can get a horse ride up.

Great, shall check it out and thanks for the post!
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:53 pm

You are welcome. We went via Tarapoto and Moyobamba. Chachapoyas is 4hrs from Moyobamba.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:58 am

Slippery Jack wrote:You are welcome. We went via Tarapoto and Moyobamba. Chachapoyas is 4hrs from Moyobamba.

Now, that's a good idea, but what's the road like? I keep getting told the Chiclayo road is the best one.
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:01 pm

The road from moyobamba to Chachopoyas was fine all the way and with some beautiful views of the forested mountains.

The road to Kuelap from Chachopoyas is good at first but then turns onto an unsurfaced road. It's not too bad though.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:44 am

Slippery Jack wrote:The road from moyobamba to Chachopoyas was fine all the way and with some beautiful views of the forested mountains.

The road to Kuelap from Chachopoyas is good at first but then turns onto an unsurfaced road. It's not too bad though.

Great advice, thanks!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register