WIFE REFUSES TO DIVORCE URGENT HELP NEEDED

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
game changer

WIFE REFUSES TO DIVORCE URGENT HELP NEEDED

Postby game changer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:04 am

Posting for a friend. Maybe someone has experience with this. Any advice or comments welcome.

"My Peruvian wife refuses to give me a divorce & my CE (Resident visa) is based on the marriage. Migrations tells me I need a divorce to switch to a "Rentista" but she wants me to pay her a substantial amount. We have been separated for 10 months; in 2 years I will not need her signature but want to be "legal".

danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: WIFE REFUSES TO DIVORCE URGENT HELP NEEDED

Postby danjaker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 am

game changer wrote:Posting for a friend. Maybe someone has experience with this. Any advice or comments welcome.

"My Peruvian wife refuses to give me a divorce & my CE (Resident visa) is based on the marriage. Migrations tells me I need a divorce to switch to a "Rentista" but she wants me to pay her a substantial amount. We have been separated for 10 months; in 2 years I will not need her signature but want to be "legal".

Too many gringos here think they found love, instead they fail to realize when a woman is just using them... sorry about his situation though. * Have him get a lawyer
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:32 am

It may be cliché and beyond painfully obvious: LAWYER UP. Surprised that wasn't the first thought for the both of you. Good luck to your friend.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:42 am

ironchefchris wrote:It may be cliché and beyond painfully obvious: LAWYER UP. Surprised that wasn't the first thought for the both of you. Good luck to your friend.

Your friend will definitely need a lawyer. And before he contacts one I'd suggest he hire a private detective to see if his wife is cheating. It sounds rough but he'll want some proof when their case is taken to court.
street legal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby street legal » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Sounds like your buddy is getting blackmailed.
The wife just wants a windfall out of this.
But hey that's the way it goes.
Marriage is always a gamble especially if there's no prenup.
Solo Angel

Postby Solo Angel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:16 pm

If your marriage was in Peru and you also have access to the United States, you may choose another alternative for quick divorce by filing your action in the United States. Anyone who is able to obtain at least temporary residency in a U.S. state such as Nevada (which has liberal divorce laws) may also obtain a speedy divorce there. However, you must have resided in the United States for a minimum six-week period if you choose this alternative. Thereafter, if you wish to legalize your divorce in Peru, you will need the services of an apostille that you would get through the Secretary of State. A Peruvian attorney experienced in this type of procedure with the U.S. is paramount to the success of this venture. Once the apostille has been procured it will have to be registered with the Peruvian consular office in your jurisdiction, because Peru has ratified the 1961 Hague Convention.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:51 pm

ironchefchris wrote:It may be cliché and beyond painfully obvious: LAWYER UP. Surprised that wasn't the first thought for the both of you. Good luck to your friend.

You know you shouldn't be using CAPITAL letters, it upsets some people. :lol:
Solo Angel

Postby Solo Angel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:06 pm

That is an odd thing to post. Who gets upset at capital letters?
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Capital letters upset people? Must only offend Americans then, being that they are so overly sensitive about every damn thing -
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:08 pm

game changer wrote:Posting for a friend. Maybe someone has experience with this. Any advice or comments welcome.

As long as she's married to him she can't claim any money. So it's better that he also waits another 2 years as he won't need her signature.

But if I were him, I would empty my bank account and move back to my home country. Obiously without money and no visa she won't be able to go after him.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:41 pm

I don't see how he has any need to worry about being "legal." If the wife won't divorce him unless he pays extortion then his legal status as far as his CE would remain married - no need to change his status to Rentista in order to be "legal." The least expensive way and the path of least resistance is to do nothing. Wait the 14 months (or 2 years), don't give the wife a thin diez centimos, and then he should be able to legally change his residency status. Unless he's looking to get married again between now and then. No advantage to that as he already has residency, and guys whose wives try to extort them tend not to want to rush into another marriage. Unless he has other family, obligations, or other reasons to stick around, maybe he should consider chi chi's advice. But again, the obvious answer is to talk to an attorney and take with a grain of salt other suggestions by expat, non-lawyers.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:46 pm

If he is not a permanent resident, he will need her to confirm they are still married; that may be the situation why he wants to change status, so he is not illegal during the divorce?

I must agree with a previous poster, you never know what may happen with marriage, no matter where you marry, but it seems a lot of gringos are used in the most obvious fashion.
Regards,

Argidd
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:09 pm

argidd wrote:If he is not a permanent resident, he will need her to confirm they are still married; that may be the situation why he wants to change status, so he is not illegal during the divorce?

I must agree with a previous poster, you never know what may happen with marriage, no matter where you marry, but it seems a lot of gringos are used in the most obvious fashion.

Good point. I didn't remember that he'd need his wife's confirmation to maintain his residency. And I'm about to go through the Annual Prorroga de Residencia process myself (head slap). All the more reason to consult an attorney. Isn't the policy that after two years with a carnet one can apply for citizenship, in which case you would no longer need spousal confirmation to maintain residency? If that's so, this guy must not have been married too long before everything turned sour, which validates the second point.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:15 pm

argidd wrote:
If he is not a permanent resident, he will need her to confirm they are still married; that may be the situation why he wants to change status

That might be the case. The OP also states that his friend's CE is based on marriage and each year as he renews his visa he'll be facing the same problem: wife's reference letter stating that they are still married and live at the same address which may cost him some money taking into account their actual situation (she may just charge him for the piece of paper). So, I guess, trying to get a divorce is better than waiting two years. Chi chi's advice regarding transferring his savings to his home country is worth considering as well.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:07 pm

danjaker wrote:Too many gringos here think they found love, instead they fail to realize when a woman is just using them... sorry about his situation though. * Have him get a lawyer

You don't have to marry a Peruvian girl to get burned. It's everywhere the same. Loads of Americans get burned by American women and loads of Europeans get burned by European women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKaJE4gjYg

argidd wrote:I must agree with a previous poster, you never know what may happen with marriage, no matter where you marry, but it seems a lot of gringos are used in the most obvious fashion.

I don't understand why so many gringos marry a Peruvian girl. My gf and I are together for over 6 years. Both of us don't see why we should get married. It's just a ceremony that costs loads of money and only lasts a few hours. With that money, you can furnish your house with nice furniture, buy a motorbike and take a few nice vacations to an exotic destination.

I am not interested in a CE because I am not interested to work in Peru for a lousy wage and going through the anual hassle of renewing it and paying taxes.
Next week, we'll be moving to Europe. My gf got a visa on the basis of being the non-married partner of a EU citizen. So, there's no need to get married if I want to take her to Europe.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:23 pm

chi chi wrote:I am not interested in a CE because I am not interested to work in Peru for a lousy wage and going through the anual hassle of renewing it and paying taxes.
Next week, we'll be moving to Europe. My gf got a visa on the basis of being the non-married partner of a EU citizen. So, there's no need to get married if I want to take her to Europe.

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Many girls in Latin America won't travel and "live in sin" with their boyfriends and insist on marriage if you want the relationship to continue or travel. If you're looking to stay in Peru long term then a civil service/annual CE renewal is cheaper than border hops (unless you live near a border) - skip the religious service. They're other benefits as well, such as the $178 LAN discount, greatly reduced discounts to sites (I pay S/. 3 to enter the monasterio, compared to the normal S/. 35 entry fee - but this isn't a big deal), cheaper prices in medical clinics, etc; though I know that last one isn't a concern of yours. I myself never understood the need to have one's relationship sanctified by the government or one's concept of God, but many Peruvians do. Glad you found a woman who's on the same page with you on not getting married. You've also got the advantage of never being able to be extorted to maintain residence.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:38 pm

ironchefchris wrote:If you're looking to stay in Peru long term then a civil service/annual CE renewal is cheaper than border hops (unless you live near a border).

Peru is nice to live in but I think it's nice to visit another countries at least once a year. You don't want to be stuck in Peru. And if you do then just overstay and pay a $1 a day when you eventually leave. It will be cheaper than borderhopping every 6 months and it will be cheaper than getting married as well.

ironchefchris wrote:They're other benefits as well, such as the $178 LAN discount, greatly reduced discounts to sites (I pay S/. 3 to enter the monasterio, compared to the normal S/. 35 entry fee .

You can fly TACA, Star or Peruvian and I don't think you are going to visit that monasterio 3 times a week so getting married will always work out more expensive.

ironchefchris wrote:Many girls in Latin America won't travel and "live in sin" with their boyfriends and insist on marriage if you want the relationship to continue or travel. I myself never understood the need to have one's relationship sanctified by the government or one's concept of God, but many Peruvians do. Glad you found a woman who's on the same page with you on not getting married.

Peru is changing and modernising. Women are getting children at a later age and no longer have 4, 5 or 6 kids.
Women are no longer housewomen but study and are carreer minded. They want to be independent and no longer depend of a man. The amount of single mothers is going up as well.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:58 am

danjaker wrote:Woohoo, no more useless advice form Chi Chi - party time up in expatperu, hes expat-europe's problem now.. jajaja

Danjaker, sounds like you are posting on the wrong website, The website for you is www.troll-peru.com
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:58 pm

danjaker wrote:

Too many gringos here think they found love, instead they fail to realize when a woman is just using them... sorry about his situation though. * Have him get a lawyer

Agreed. A good Lawyer. If he has no kids a notary can do it quick and fast. But if she disputes it... you will spend years trying to finalize it. Best bet is to get out of Peru and return to the home country. Unless you plan to remarry, no need for divorce. If she does not have a Green Card or Visa that would be an option. #CatchMeIfYouCan
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:59 pm

other option is to ride out your CE. Just pay your fees each year
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:03 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
argidd wrote:If he is not a permanent resident, he will need her to confirm they are still married; that may be the situation why he wants to change status, so he is not illegal during the divorce?

Good point. I didn't remember that he'd need his wife's confirmation to maintain his residency. And I'm about to go through the Annual Prorroga de Residencia process myself (head slap). All the more reason to consult an attorney. Isn't the policy that after two years with a carnet one can apply for citizenship, in which case you would no longer need spousal confirmation to maintain residency? If that's so, this guy must not have been married too long before everything turned sour, which validates the second point.

Without a divorce the wife cannot cancel his CE. He does not need his wife to assist at immigration upon renewal. Just keep the CE until you can jump ship
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:07 pm

chi chi wrote:
danjaker wrote:Too many gringos here think they found love, instead they fail to realize when a woman is just using them... sorry about his situation though. * Have him get a lawyer

You don't have to marry a Peruvian girl to get burned. It's everywhere the same. Loads of Americans get burned by American women and loads of Europeans get burned by European women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKaJE4gjYg

argidd wrote:I must agree with a previous poster, you never know what may happen with marriage, no matter where you marry, but it seems a lot of gringos are used in the most obvious fashion.

I don't understand why so many gringos marry a Peruvian girl. My gf and I are together for over 6 years. Both of us don't see why we should get married. It's just a ceremony that costs loads of money and only lasts a few hours. With that money, you can furnish your house with nice furniture, buy a motorbike and take a few nice vacations to an exotic destination.

I am not interested in a CE because I am not interested to work in Peru for a lousy wage and going through the anual hassle of renewing it and paying taxes.

Been Married 10 years to my Peruvian Girlfriend. I have no issues as far as her need alimony (been there). We have worked together to acquire a lot. So, She gets the property in Pimentel. I get the (future) apt
in Lima. We have 2 kids, I want to be sure that they are provided for. WIN-WIN.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:10 pm

ironchefchris wrote:

2008, I went to immigration and renewed mine (no wife)
Solo Angel

Postby Solo Angel » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:13 pm

What about 09, 10, 11, 12. 13, and 14?
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:02 pm

tupacperu wrote:[

2008, I went to immigration and renewed mine (no wife)

They won't renew your visa without the confirmation letter signed by the spouse, and yes, she doesn't have to be present there but no "carta de garantia" - no "tramite". I've been doing this for almost nine years and once we missed this "requisito" and simply had to look for a notary's office close to migraciones to get it straight. And, of course, I did it on my own with no assistance. Maybe some tramitadores can do this without the letter having contacts inside, I've never hired one.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:20 am

mammamia wrote: Maybe some tramitadores can do this without the letter having contacts inside, I've never hired one.

Tramitadores???

I hope you don't mean those scammers that are loitering outside the migraciones office in Breña.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:31 am

You’ll need the following:

Form F-007 (print for free here or get one free from DIGEMIN, at the information booth just inside the door to the left)
The receipt from your payment to the Banco de la Nacion
If you’re paying for the exoneration instead of the tasa, you’ll need the correct paper showing that you are exempt:
Married to Peruvian – You’ll need a NEW copy of your Acto de Matrimonio – you can not use an old copy.
Religious – a letter from your religious association, legalized by the corresponding administrative entity.
For the exoneration
Last edited by tupacperu on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 am

I guess you may need the document signed by spouse. I had my marriage certificate only and went alone.

Family/Spouse of Peruvian: Also requires a current document that shows continuity of the situation by which the visa was obtained – for example, foreign spouses of Peruvians will need a recently obtained copy of the Acto de Matrimonio to show they are, in fact, still married. Although it is not listed on the DIGEMIN site you will also most likely be asked for a ‘Carta de Garantia’.This is an affidavit of support from your spouse stating that he/she will be responsible for you morally and fiscally.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:16 pm

When I renewed my visa residente (married to a Peruvian) at the beginning of this year, they didn't want a Carta de Garantia, but a Declaracion jurada para prorroga de residencia de familiar. With this declaration the Peruvian spouse has to declare that he / she still is related to the foreigner and that Peru is the mutual country of residence.

So for me interesting is: if you have a residency visa through marriage, but are in the process of getting divorced in Peru, how can you renew your carné? Your still spouse surely won't sign any document stating that you are married; on the other hand there must be a way to stay legal in Peru during the divorce process.

I think a lawyer is essential in such cases
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:15 pm

danjaker wrote:Have him get a lawyer

ironchefchris wrote:It may be cliché and beyond painfully obvious: LAWYER UP.

mammamia wrote:Your friend will definitely need a lawyer. And before he contacts one I'd suggest he hire a private detective to see if his wife is cheating.

tupacperu wrote:Agreed. A good Lawyer.

sunflower wrote:I think a lawyer is essential in such cases

Better Call Saul.jpeg
Better Call Saul.jpeg (12.67 KiB) Viewed 3776 times

He should be able to help with a private detective too, should your friend want to go that route, 'cause Saul knows a guy... who knows a guy... who knows another guy, who'll take care of that.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:59 pm

ironchefchris wrote:

Well not necessarily, if you have been married and living in Peru for over 2 years, you can: a) become a permanent resident or b) become a citizen, or.... c) remain a temporary resident.
In order to become a perm resident you have to earn at least 10 UIT per year, and meet criteria; to become a citizen you have to meet criteria and do the whooooole trámite.

In my case, we have been married for over 2 years, however my husband does not meet the permanent resident criteria and doesn't want to become a citizen; luckily, we're relocating!
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:15 pm

danjaker wrote:Have him get a lawyer

His wife is allready trying to get his money, a lawyer will try to con even more money out of him. Those lawyers will for sure ripp of a gringo. All kinds of problems, delays, etc, will come up that require the gringo to pay extra costs.

tupacperu wrote:Best bet is to get out of Peru and return to the home country. Unless you plan to remarry, no need for divorce. If she does not have a Green Card or Visa that would be an option. #CatchMeIfYouCan

That the best thing to do and the most ''democratic'' when it comes to costs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_SP86WfXZ0
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Yea, just tell her you are going out for a quart of milk...
Mako

Postby Mako » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:35 pm

chi chi wrote:
As long as she's married to him she can't claim any money. So it's better that he also waits another 2 years as he won't need her signature.

But if I were him, I would empty my bank account and move back to my home country. Obiously without money and no visa she won't be able to go after him.

One of the best pieces of advice I have heard from Chichi. Good job bro.

I have been separated from my Mexican wife who refuses to divorce me for over a decade. The complicating factor is she took my daughter away from me to other countries TWICE!

Sadly this is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. Do not pay her a penny, get some good legal advice.
Don't provoke her
Don't argue with her.

IGNORE HER and wait it out, when the money train dries up they either get bored of it, or look for another gringo to defraud.

Either way, problem solved.

In my case I haven't seen or heard from either my furious ex, or my beautiful little girl since the money tap turned off.but I know she will be a teenager soon, rebel against her mother, new stepdad and the illegitimate half brother and seek me out. In the internet age this should not be that hard.

Stay strong, be the better person and her karma will kick her ass..
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Mako wrote:Stay strong, be the better person and her karma will kick her ass..

Perhaps this is his karma kicking his ass? Hard to tell with strangers on the interweb.
street legal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby street legal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Update:
I am an acquaintance of the "friend" seeking a divorce.

He said and I quote, "I am going to pay her off & end this nonsense."
Alessandro

Postby Alessandro » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:32 pm

My help is here, I will give you the number of a good an economical Lawyer. He works in Miraflores. 983530027, call him.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:24 pm

street legal wrote:Update:
I am an acquaintance of the "friend" seeking a divorce.

He said and I quote, "I am going to pay her off & end this nonsense."

He shouldn't pay her anything. He should just ignore her like her never heard of her.
As long as he is still married to her, she can't claim anything. And if he leaves the country, she can't come after him if she doesn't have a visa. And if she needs a visa she will need him to sponsor her.

If she wants money from him then he has to do the same. Promise her to get her a visa and ask her more and more money for the visa procedure but do nothing. Just stick the money in his pocket and keep promising her.

Don't get scammed. Be smart and scam the scammer.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:18 am

You need to be careful and know all the facts. If your peruvian spouse has ''Causal'' and therefore can start legal proceedings against you (because she/he has proof you cheated or many other reasons), then they can block your exit from Peru by doing a tramite at Migraciones... but only once the legal process against you has begun and has been accepted in the courts for for going ahead.

Again, good advice from a good lawyer is important.

My wife also refuses to give me a divorce and wants a lump sum payout. However, after two years of being separated, either of the spouses can start a procedure called ''separacion de cuerpos'' - so whether she likes it or not, I can still divorce her. However, the time factor plays a part. Two years separated as minimum, 4 years if there are kids involved.

If it's all too much and getting complicated, then sell up, close accounts and get the hell out of here.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register