FOOD TRUCK/ split from job hunting

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

FOOD TRUCK/ split from job hunting

Postby tupacperu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:47 am

aleman42 wrote:Hence the food truck....thanks everyone

I had an Idea for a small hole in the wall restaurant or a food truck.

Pollo Ala Brasa on a Chicken rack (works from a food truck oven, without expensive equipment)

Easy money, throw in a salad and fries... lol

aleman42

Re: job hunting

Postby aleman42 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Tupacperu
very interested in talking with you about our ideas....found a sign for a food truck for sale....share ideas??
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: job hunting

Postby tupacperu » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:55 pm

aleman42 wrote:Tupacperu
very interested in talking with you about our ideas....found a sign for a food truck for sale....share ideas??

Glad to be of help.. Had plenty of other ideas but I will soon retire, then help my wife start her business.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: FOOD TRUCK/ split from job hunting

Postby tupacperu » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:02 pm

If you find a Chinese company which sells racks, like in alibaba.com . you could sell the rack with prepackaged chicken (in a plastic bag with spices) uncooked to take home and cook.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Next trick is to get the original spices for pollo ala brass.
Some chefs sell it and teach it for $1000

I have my own recipe when and if I decide to do a truck on the northern beaches
aleman42

Postby aleman42 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:37 am

Tupacperu
I have a different idea for a food truck.....not common in peru, but guaranteed popular!.....thanks for the reply
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:16 am

tupacperu wrote:

Pollo Ala Brasa on a Chicken rack (works from a food truck oven, without expensive equipment)

If it was that easy then loads of Peruvians would have done it.
aleman42

Postby aleman42 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:05 pm

chichi....your negativity makes me me feel so sad for you....try and fail?....but give it a strong go with foods not available in peru could be successful....I don't know from where you hail, but I crave my home livings and I'm sure many expats an natives would appreciate the deliciousness not found here.....
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:12 pm

aleman42 wrote:chichi....your negativity makes me me feel so sad for you....try and fail?....but give it a strong go with foods not available in peru could be successful....I don't know from where you hail, but I crave my home livings and I'm sure many expats an natives would appreciate the deliciousness not found here.....
Dont want to bust your bubble but in terms of selling food in any kind of way certainly Peruvian tried everything :D
Besides that...what about the permission to do so?? Do you have a peruvian driving license?? A street permit to sell anything on the road?? As a german you should think about these things first I would assume :lol:
aleman42

Postby aleman42 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm

I already have done my research and it is not a difficult situation.....btw....do you do your research?...might be a good idea for you do so....seems you just come up with your own ideas and conclusions.We have all come to this country for a new and positive start
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:20 am

aleman42 wrote:I crave my home livings and I'm sure many expats an natives would appreciate the deliciousness not found here.....

Peruvians aren't fans of foreign food and the expats love the Peruvian fare. There was a German guy running a nice foodplace in San Miguel. Very clean place, excellent food but couldn't get punters through the door. He closed down as quick as he started up.
Don't put your odds on the expatcommunity. They won't stand in line at your business at a daily basis. With the takings you get from them you won't be able to survive.

aleman42 wrote:I already have done my research and it is not a difficult situation.....btw....do you do your research?...might be a good idea for you do so....seems you just come up with your own ideas and conclusions.We have all come to this country for a new and positive start

I thought of starting up a food business as well and did my research. I am a qualified chef and worked at 5 star hotels and a Michelin starred restaurant. I also thought of starting up a low budget food place like a hole in the whole place or a food truck. But after carefull consideration, I figured out that it's not that easy as it looks like and even harder to make enough money with it.

I don't want to put you off your great idea but it's much easier to lose money in Peru than to make money in Peru. I think you will get more success if you run a decent food business in Germany. Germans appreciate and will pay for decent food and they will pay a bit more if it's good quality.
But if you run a hole in the wall place or food truck on the street in Peru then you are competing in the lowest segment of the food business. Customers who buy food at hole in the wall places or food trucks, are only interested in the price and not quality or hygiene of the establishment.

Many gringos come to Peru and think that can do things better than the locals. Almost all fail and the ones that are succesfull are struggling to survive or didn't last long.

The other things is that as a foreigner, to start up a business you need to invest at least $30000 and employ at least 3 Peruvians on a full time basis. They must be on planilla.

And as a gringo, if your run a business ''off the record'' then you will get noticed and competitors will have a word with the municipalidad who will come along to check if you have a business licence, hygiene certificate, defensa civil certificate and SUNAT will pay you a visit as well.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:05 am

aleman42 wrote:I already have done my research and it is not a difficult situation

There aren't ''not a difficult situations'' in Peru. If there are not difficult situations that make easy money like you think you found one then loads of people would do it allready,
Peruvians aren't retarded.

tupacperu wrote:We have a place on the beach, next to a hotel (Pimentel). Perfect place for a restaurant bar (no rent). I wanted to open a bar and bistro, but security and extortion are a big problem as well as robbery.
They even may dynamite your home if you do not pay fees to the mafia.

Do not want to be facing a barrel of a gun.

aleman42, did you also do your research regarding robbery and extortion? Especially if you are a gringo and make ''harta plata'' then you will get noticed and many people will try to share your success. A few chubby guys with tattoos and scars on their face will ''offer you protection'' at an inflated ''gringo rate''.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:47 am

Potential names for chi chi run restaurants:

Spit 'n Soup
Snot 'n Salad

Ahh... Ahh... Ahh... CHU! (chifa)

The Treadmark Grill and Steakhouse (where in addition to choosing how you'd like your steak cooked, you also get to choose the design of your "grill marks" - Nike, Adidas, Puma, etc.)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:14 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Potential names for chi chi run restaurants:

Spit 'n Soup
Snot 'n Salad

Ahh... Ahh... Ahh... CHU! (chifa)

The Treadmark Grill and Steakhouse (where in addition to choosing how you'd like your steak cooked, you also get to choose the design of your "grill marks" - Nike, Adidas, Puma, etc.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, there are allready too many similar establishments.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:16 pm

chi chi wrote:
tupacperu wrote:

If it was that easy then loads of Peruvians would have done it.

Chi-Chi, no business is easy, it has to do with Location-Location-Location and low startup cost.
A rotisserie in a truck cost $1000.00s. This rack cost $3.99. + an oven...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 pm

tupacperu wrote:Chi-Chi, no business is easy, it has to do with Location-Location-Location and low startup cost.

On top of that, there's the price of truck, fridges to stow the food, a generator to get electricity for rotisserie and friers. You also need a secure place to park your truck overnight or it will be gone by dawn,

Some businesses sound cheap to run but if you add all the little and big extras then it adds up and it becomes a big and risky investment.

I am wondering if the OP has any experience with running a food business. I suggest that before he starts up his own business that he spends a few years working as an employee in food business.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:36 pm

chi chi wrote:
tupacperu wrote:Chi-Chi, no business is easy, it has to do with Location-Location-Location and low startup cost.

On top of that, there's the price of truck, fridges to stow the food, a generator to get electricity for rotisserie and friers. You also need a secure place to park your truck overnight or it will be gone by dawn,

Some businesses sound cheap to run but if you add all the little and big extras then it adds up and it becomes a big and risky investment.

I am wondering if the OP has any experience with running a food business. I suggest that before he starts up his own business that he spends a few years working as an employee in food business.

Truck still cheaper than rent on overpriced retail rentals.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register