Finally Getting Married

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
simperu2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finally Getting Married

Postby simperu2012 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Hello fellow expats and friends,

After what seems like an eternity, I will be traveling to Peru shortly to marry my fiancee of four years. I wanted to gather some more input about the time frame and whole process as I know many of you have gotten married in Peru as well. The biggest concern of ours is time. I was granted 3 weeks off here in the States during the month of January to go get married. Will the process take longer than that? I've been told to send my documents ahead of time for her to translate them and have them notarized. So far, I have my birth certificate, certificado de solteria, which I'll be obtaining from the embassy in Lima, and my passport. With all of these documents being professionally translated and notarized with the apostille stamp before I arrive, how long should the process take? We are planning to get married in Chorrillos. I'll take the time that I need, but I'd like to have a ballpark figure. Thanks.

mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Finally Getting Married

Postby mammamia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:34 pm

It depends on the municipalidad where you are going to register your marriage at. When we did it in Peru I was on a 10 day leave and that was more than enough: 3 days for the whole procedure (translation and certification of the certificates, finding the right city hall official and greasing his palm so that everything could be done in one day) and a week for our honey moon.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Are you really sure you want to do that? :twisted:

just kidding!
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Be sure you don't get your documents TOO early, as many documents are only valid for 3 months..
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Guiri wrote:Are you really sure you want to do that? :twisted:

just kidding!

I don't understand why people get married. My gf and I are together for more than 5 years. Her parents have been together for 40 years and aren't married either. So, what?
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:38 pm

chi chi wrote:

just kidding!

I don't understand why people get married. My gf and I are together for more than 5 years. Her parents have been together for 40 years and aren't married either. So, what?

About 80% of the world's population who believe that marriage is a good thing would never understand you and your gf's parents.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Be careful about updating her Peruvian ID to "married" status if she is planning to stay in Peru for any length of time. We've run into problems with this.

When we were trying to buy a car, the notary would not let my wife buy the car without my signature since her ID says she is married. And I can't legally sign anything in Peru yet because I don't have residence or a business visa (working on getting the residence papers now). So it basically meant we couldn't buy a car. We ended up having her mom hold the title for us.

I have a Peruvian friend who says he and his wife never updated their IDs to "married" for this very reason. Not sure how they managed that, but they did.

In short: being married in Peru can have far more legal repercussions than it does in the US.

Incidentally, after we had our wedding in Peru and had the mayor sign it and all that, until recently we had never got around to taking the papers to the ministry to get their final stamp on it, so for seven years or so we perhaps weren't "officially" really married in Peru (we had already had a courthouse wedding in the US though, so we were legally married in the US in any case).
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:16 pm

mammamia wrote:[
About 80% of the world's population who believe that marriage is a good thing would never understand you and your gf's parents.
I wonder where you got that number from..? :shock:
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 pm

You will find it easier if you get your documents apostilled before you come and then you will only need the official translations done here. It is a bit more costly at your end, but far more efficient than what you will find at this end. Take note that they will need to be less than three months old before the wedding date. All apostilled documents are automatically accepted in Peru.

Can I suggest greasing palms is not the way to go. In the case of weddings you will find all the municipalities helpful and pretty easy to get along with. You just have to abide by their instructions.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 pm

gringolandia wrote:Be careful about updating her Peruvian ID to "married" status if she is planning to stay in Peru for any length of time. We've run into problems with this.

If you are both Peruvian it doesn't matter if you maintain that single status but being a foreigner it creates a lot of problems for you. If I recall correctly your spouse has to update his/her dni to married before you can process the paperwork for a carnet via marriage. Without the carnet you can't stay in the country indefinitely, open a bank account, etc.

As an aside, when you open a business here (a SAC at least) your spouse also has to sign those papers at the notary. In fact, if you get shares in a SAC I believe your spouse has to sign the papers as well.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm

I do not know if it is still the case, but years ago we had to publish something in El Comercio for two weeks before we could get married?
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:53 pm

I know when my wife, a Peruvian, and I got married it was quit easy. I flew in the day before. We got married the next day. Had a nice party that lasted well into the morning of the next day! The rest of the two weeks we were on our honeymoon. I did not do a blood test or anything else except get my birth certificate legalized at the Peruvian Embassy in Chicago. This was even though I lived in Florida, I was born in Indiana. The Peruvian embassy in Miami returned it to me and requested I send it to Chicago. I did and received it back within two weeks, and sent it to my wife. She did everything else, which I imagine included greasing the palms of various officials in the mayor's office. That is how we worked it. She took care of any legal stuff in Peru and I handled the legal stuff in the US. Which included doing all the visa paperwork, of which palm greasing was not a part! :)

Good luck to you and much happiness!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 pm

mammamia wrote:
chi chi wrote:

just kidding!

Every year, less people are getting married. Especially weddings in church are dropping. (Maybe it has something to do with all the schandals that surround the church.)
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 pm

chi chi

Every year, less people are getting married. Especially weddings in church are dropping. (Maybe it has something to do with all the schandals that surround the church.)

I agree people get married less often these days but that doesn't mean they reject the very idea of marriage or family. There're different factors preventing people from marriage (financial situation, career objectives, etc.) and church and religion in general have little to do with the decrease in number of marriages worldwide.
Last edited by mammamia on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Guiri wrote:
mammamia wrote:[
I wonder where you got that number from..? :shock:

That's simple arithmetic: just look around and see how many of your friends and family members are single or have never been married or reject the idea of marriage as such. You'll get that 20%.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:08 am

chi chi wrote:

It's more likely to have something to do with society's current lack of moral values.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:22 am

panman wrote:
chi chi wrote:

It's more likely to have something to do with society's current lack of moral values.

Not getting married isn't a lack of moral value. I don't see what's wrong with not getting married.

Instead of spending loads of money on a party that only lasts a few hours and invite a lot of people that drink and eat on your tab but probably will never invite your to their own wedding, I would rather spend that money on bying a home, nice furniture and a motorbike. Those things last longer than a few hours wedding party and having to wake up with a hangover. (both in your head and in your wallet)

And if your aren't married and things work out, you simply split up and probably still stay friends and keep in touch. But if you are married and things turn sour then it becomes a legal and financial nightmare.
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:08 am

mammamia wrote:That's simple arithmetic: just look around and see how many of your friends and family members are single or have never been married or reject the idea of marriage as such. You'll get that 20%.
Sorry but this is pure nonsense...I would get a way higher percentage :lol:
I would say its more like wishful thinking on your part ;)

And I really dont get what being married(or not) has to do with moral values...that ridiculous! :lol:
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:43 am

[quote="Guiri"

Pure nonsense is denying the fact that the institution of monogamous marriage that, by the way, has been around for thousands of years and has prevailed over other forms of relationships between sexes and in the long run will overcome this same-sex marriage thing, is the cornerstone of modern civilization.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:57 am

mammamia wrote:[quote="Guiri"

Pure nonsense is denying the fact that the institution of monogamous marriage that, by the way, has been around for thousands of years and has prevailed over other forms of relationships between sexes and in the long run will overcome this same-sex marriage thing, is the cornerstone of modern civilization.

I'm of the opinion that hot, running water is the cornerstone of modern civilization. Life is so much more civilized with a hot shower and, for me, would be incomplete without a nice strong cup or three of hot coffee. Both impossible without hot, running water. I would say marriage is more the cornerstone of divorce lawyers than modern civilization. It's been said that hamburgers are the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm

mammamia wrote:Pure nonsense is denying the fact that the institution of monogamous marriage that, by the way, has been around for thousands of years and has prevailed over other forms of relationships between sexes and in the long run will overcome this same-sex marriage thing, is the cornerstone of modern civilization.

Modern civilization? Marriage is just as old fashioned as the church.

Nowadays,one of the 'modern things' about marriage is getting married to obtain a visa.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
I'm of the opinion that hot, running water is the cornerstone of modern civilization. Life is so much more civilized with a hot shower and, for me, would be incomplete without a nice strong cup or three of hot coffee. Both impossible without hot, running water. I would say marriage is more the cornerstone of divorce lawyers than modern civilization. It's been said that hamburgers are the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.

Looks like a pure example of stream of consciousness to me! Are you fond of reading, James Joyce in particular? Though I doubt that you've ever heard that name. Must be just the state of your mind.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 pm

mammamia wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:

Looks like a pure example of stream of consciousness to me! Are you fond of reading, James Joyce in particular? Though I doubt that you've ever heard that name. Must be just the state of your mind.

Why would you make an assumption and doubt that I've ever heard the name James Joyce? I've loved reading Joyce since my introduction to him in Jr. High School ('Dubliners'), though it wasn't until I read 'Ulysses' in University that I really got into him. Speaking of "stream of consciousness," I've even managed to finish 'Finnegan's Wake' - no easy task. I'm also a fan of other post-modern writers who write challenging to read material such as William Gaddis and Thomas Pynchon (my favorite).
eljibarito

Postby eljibarito » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:29 am

I am interested in this thread. I am going in December and we have thought about doing a civil ceremony this time around and doing a formal church ceremony later on in April with all her family. In July I got my birth certificate and divorce certificate stamped at the embassy in Chicago. So I know I have to get those translated but I am wondering how did you guys handle the requirement for a physical? Both the district she lives in and Cusco where we had thought about doing the civil at have that requirement.
djuergar

Postby djuergar » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 am

captcosmic wrote:I know when my wife, a Peruvian, and I got married it was quit easy. I flew in the day before. We got married the next day. Had a nice party that lasted well into the morning of the next day! The rest of the two weeks we were on our honeymoon. I did not do a blood test or anything else except get my birth certificate legalized at the Peruvian Embassy in Chicago. This was even though I lived in Florida, I was born in Indiana. The Peruvian embassy in Miami returned it to me and requested I send it to Chicago. I did and received it back within two weeks, and sent it to my wife. She did everything else, which I imagine included greasing the palms of various officials in the mayor's office. That is how we worked it. She took care of any legal stuff in Peru and I handled the legal stuff in the US. Which included doing all the visa paperwork, of which palm greasing was not a part! :)

Good luck to you and much happiness!

How are you Captcosmic!

I have a few questions for you, your help will be greatly appreciated. I am a US citizen from Florida and I am planning to get marry soon with my fiancee. We are living in MIraflores, Peru at this time. I have a architecture-construction small company here, and my fiancee has a "carnet de estanjeria" that is about to expire on Dec. 2014. She is Russian.
We want to get marry and go on our honeymoon to South Beach, Florida. I am not planning to go to back US to live there yet, just for the honeymoon.
Did you go to US for your honeymoon?....if yes, did your wife apply for a Tourist visa?
Do you know another easier way than getting a tourist visa?, you know sometimes the US embassy denies the visas if you are young, in our case my fiancee is Russian living in a foreign country, her contract is about to expire, etc. Also I know about the fiancee visas, the K's visas, but these don't apply for us.
Does anybody else out there can help with this matter?

Thank you so much.

Djuergar.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:02 am

The honeymoon visa is the same as the tourist visa.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:27 pm

djuergar, sorry. I did not see your post! I will PM you with some info that might be helpful. :)
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:29 am

After re-reading the original post and all the following posts, I certainly hope the OP went somewhere else for his information. What a load of trash.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:10 pm

I agree with things going so far off topic it is crazy. The OP did not want to know about what others thought of the institution of marriage, but help in getting what he has decided to do already. People should chime in if they have something helpful to say. Not just to push each other buttons. This site has become welth of non-information!
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:54 pm

"Southern Comfort"...Sent me this little love note in a PM concerning my last comment in this post:

"Hi,
What are you whining about? This is not your forum you are free to find some place else to go. Your comment only flames others to continue off topic, your comment contributes to the topic at hand in no way. You simply want to draw Daddys attention to yourself in hopes of some brownie points. Grow up.
Cheers"

Not sure why you just don't say that here in public forums. Not sure who he is referring to when I need to get some brownie points from my daddy, since my dad is no longer living. I assure you I am adult enough to say things here and not find a pseudonym with no history of posts to insult another member in private.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:07 pm

captcosmic wrote:djuergar, sorry. I did not see your post! I will PM you with some info that might be helpful. :)

It would be great if you could share your experiences. I am sure there are many people out there who are a little lost in the bureaucracy.

Tony / Capt I am focused on keeping topics, in the information forum, on track for the benefit of all subscribers. If you have any suggestions please pm me. I would like to hear from you for the benefit of us all.

Adrian
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:33 pm

8 years ago me and my wife did the whole marriage process in a two week visit (the only time I could get off work), including getting her a British visa for travel back to the UK and finding her a seat on the same flight back -- in short, a miracle! Even at the time we didn't hope to get so much done in such a short time, but we were very very lucky. However, I sent all the paperwork ahead by courier so that she could get it all translated and stamped by all the different departments in Lima, so everything was ready and approved with the municipalidad when I arrived. Also, the municipalidad that we eventually chose had experience with handling foreign paperwork, which helped enormously. (Another really hopeless municipalidad told my wife that all my papers were fakes!) Really I had to depend entirely on my wife and her family to do all the work on the Peruvian side. She is pretty determined, so it worked out well for us.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register