The Work Visa...any tips, tips, and more tips

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Nikki_Lou6

The Work Visa...any tips, tips, and more tips

Postby Nikki_Lou6 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi all,
I was recently hired by a bilingual school in Cusco. I'll be starting in 2015! They will help me with paying for the visa, but i have to do all the work on my own. As for documents that I can prepare in advance, what documents will I need from the US? I know I will need my diploma, but what else is there? What can I fill out now to be proactive? I have a handy document telling me the steps for the process, but it doesn't include this relevant information! Any useful tips will help me so much!

Gracias!

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Work Visa...any tips, tips, and more tips

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:53 pm

If you are interested in hiring a professional firm, I did mine with these guys who did a very good job.

Ruth Magaly Llanos Gonzales
Estudio PUENTE DE LA MATA & DIAZ PINILLOS
Calle Monterrey N° 341
Oficina 1101, Chacarilla del Estanque - Surco
Lima - Perú
Tel.: (511) 372 6261
Fax: (511) 372 5953
[email protected]

Everything is here:
http://www.migraciones.gob.pe/index.php ... esidentes/

You will need to bring your degrees/diplomas and have them translated in to Spanish by an official translator here in Lima. You may well also need a letter from your last employee (in perfect Spanish or translated by an official translator) indicating length of service, skills etc... and an Interpol check done here in Lima. You also need an official contract from your employer in Peru and get that approved by the Ministerio de Trabajo.
Nikki_Lou6

Postby Nikki_Lou6 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Perfect,
What does the cost of that firm look like? How efficiently and quickly did they work with you?

Mil gracias!
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:37 am

They work very efectively. Costs might vary... I don't remember exactly, it was a long time ago. They won't give you much info by email, you'll ned to go and make an appointment.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:07 pm

Nikki, since they are sponsoring you they will need to submit documents and prepare a contract, it's not that you take care of "everything".
About the law firm, my husband went in for a simple paper procedure (renewing his CE) and they quoted like $450 (USD); we thought they were insanely expensive in comparison to what we had paid the year before at another firm.

Make sure all your documents are appostilled. As Lloyd said, certificates/diplomas and letters from your previous employerS stating length of service, activities, position.
Regards,

Argidd
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:02 pm

I would check with the school that other teachers have successfully obtained a visa this way. They will need to provide a contract and other documents to show they are a legit organisation and to justify employing a foreigner. It's doable but only if they produce the right documents and a contract. If they've done it before with others why don't they give you an email of the previous teacher so you can get some advice? You will probably have to leave the country and stay in another country a few days (Ecuador or Chile). Will their payment of expenses include travel and hotel bills? If you don't ask now you may be disappointed later on.

Other please chime in if I am out of date.

Just edited this as I realise now you said a bilinguel school not a language school. The schools often do help with visas but I still stand by the advice above. Best check if other foreign teachers have done this before with the school.
Tom

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register