LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:58 am

LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25
If you have been considering buying airline tickets, LAN Peru will be having its annual Cybersale on November 24/25. In the past, the prices have been good (national and international flights).


User avatar
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby calygirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Just curious, where did you hear abut this sale? I went on to the website and didn't see anything. I'm going to need to purchase two tickets to Lima from the US and want to get the best price. I'm also a LANPASS member and haven't received any emails about promotions.

Thanks for the information.
User avatar
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:55 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby calygirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks much for the info, teamoperu. I will check out the Lan website.
I've been on expatperu for many years, and don't really pay attention to "chi chi's" posts. But some of the newer members may, which is a concern.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby mammamia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:30 pm

teamoperu wrote:LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25
If you have been considering buying airline tickets, LAN Peru will be having its annual Cybersale on November 24/25. In the past, the prices have been good (national and international flights).

I hear that Avianca also has a sale on these days. Though not sure, maybe, my friend mistook Avianca for Lan.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:35 pm

mammamia wrote:
teamoperu wrote:LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25
If you have been considering buying airline tickets, LAN Peru will be having its annual Cybersale on November 24/25. In the past, the prices have been good (national and international flights).

I hear that Avianca also has a sale on these days. Though not sure, maybe, my friend mistook Avianca for Lan.


Wouldn't be surprised, airlines often match the others' sales, great thing about competition. Gotta luv it.
User avatar
street legal
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby street legal » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:45 pm

calygirl wrote:Just curious, where did you hear abut this sale? I went on to the website and didn't see anything. I'm going to need to purchase two tickets to Lima from the US and want to get the best price. I'm also a LANPASS member and haven't received any emails about promotions.

Thanks for the information.


JetBlue is no frills but they fly from the US to Lima and they have democratic prices.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby chi chi » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:26 am

street legal wrote:JetBlue is no frills but they fly from the US to Lima and they have democratic prices.


The are no frills but they it's a very good airline.

They are much better than American and United Airlines.

One of my favourite airlines is SouthWest Airlines.
The have profesional staff, clean aircrafts and very punctual.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:12 am

Picked up some nice sale tickets, including a Lima-Ayacucho all-in return for $47. And noticed something. Really really do not believe what chi chi stated, but I'll avoid explaining further. Just as I will avoid broadcasting about another great sale I just heard about, chi chi makes it not worth the effort. So hard to understand why he makes it into a bitter debate when someone just posts a heads up about a sale.
User avatar
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby Guiri » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Checked out the "special" offers and I will book furthermore with Peruvian Air...they are even without "special" offers cheaper :lol: ...at least to Iquitos.Image
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 pm

chi chi wrote:Just be aware that if you don't have a CE, you will be charged and extra $180 fee.

Be aware of this scam.

Fly Avianca, Peruvian Airlines, Starperu, ATSA or LCP on domestic flights.

LCP is my favourite. Friendly staff, nice aircrafts and no scams.


I received these offers and as Teamoperu says it is a great offers. LAN have circulated this offer for the benefit of people who are residents in Peru, not tourists. The discount system was set up to enable people living in Peru on lower incomes than foreign tourists to enjoy the opportunity to fly. I believe it is a great system. The only people who disagree are visitors to Peru, possibly from wealthier backgrounds.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:48 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:“Just be aware that if you don't have a CE, you will be charged and extra $180 fee.” Don't need a CE for international tickets (like calygirl asked). There is no $180 “fee” anyway. There is a extra charge if they notice you purchased a resident only fare. I've never paid an “extra $180 fee” but then again I am more experienced with Peru travel than some... ahem

“Be aware of this scam.” It is not a scam, it is upfront and clearly publicized. It is a way to make domestic travel affordable to residents and encourage domestic tourism. I quite like it and appreciate the lower fares I buy.


Nobody is going to book a flight with them if they have pay an 'extra charge' of $180.

If LAN abolishes this 'extra charge' then more foreigners will book a flight with them and they will make much more money that they can use to make fares more affordable for locals and encourage domestic tourism.

I noticed that when I fly with LAN on a domestic flight (I had a connection in Lima with an international flight so I didn't have to pay the $180) there are very few gringos on board but when I fly Taca, StarPeru or Peruvian, there are loads of gringo faces on board.
And those few gringo faces on board the LAN flight probably had an international connection in Lima so they didn't pay the $180 either)

I don't see where the scam is if everything is publicly and clearly listed on their website as far as how much one will have to pay. If you don't want to fly LAN, don't fly LAN. If I didn't have residency here I would fly the other airlines if the fares were cheaper, but since LAN offers me the cheapest fares because of their discount policy, I tend to fly LAN. Sometimes even with the discount for residents the fare is cheaper on another airline. If it fits in my schedule and the fare is significantly lower I'll take that airline instead of LAN.

I doubt LAN cares that there are few gringos on board their domestic flights and foreigners are flying other airlines to get around Peru. LAN doesn't need to abolish their discount for residents (or "extra charge" as some mistakenly refer to it) because their flights are generally full/sold out. There's no extra money to be made because there are no extra seats to sell. A S/. 350 fare is S/. 350 no matter if the money comes from a resident or a foreigner so there is no way they can make "much more money" as has been suggested. LAN could abolish this discount and charge higher fares to all but would then lose business to competitors competing on price and would pick up business as long as they were cheaper than LAN's new + $179 fares. Abolishing this discount will not make fares more affordable for locals and will not do anything to encourage domestic tourism. The opposite would happen if locals didn't receive a discount from LAN.

This should be basic economics. Stuff you don't need to go to business school to understand. I find it amusing that someone whose airline experience is limited to being a flight attendant and complains either that there is no work or that other people with more (determination and ability to hustle) than one job are taking up all the work believes they know better how to maximize LAN's revenue than LAN's finance department, executives and experts who program the algorithms which determine fares, all of whom have actual actual qualifications to do their jobs. It would be like an unemployed busboy telling Gaston how he should prepare his dishes or run his restaurants.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:39 pm

Guiri wrote:Checked out the "special" offers and I will book furthermore with Peruvian Air...they are even without "special" offers cheaper :lol: ...at least to Iquitos.Image


Be careful. The $59 is for Tarapoto. You go to Iquitos and then it is $69 plus $16 taxes. With the LAN sale IQT it totals $57.38 (42 base fare +23.46 fees taxes) minus the old surprise of -$7.56 (hehe). Since when is $85 cheaper than $58? BTW there is something funny with that Peruvain Air sale, feel it in my bones. Can you check and see if you can actually book it at that price?

I do use Peruvain once in a while when it suits. But since I have Elite status on LAN I get perks (priority boarding, preferred seats, free changes etc.) and LANPASS points making that a consideration. And I pay with cc to get more points and travel insurance, can't do that on Peruvian Air specials. If all is pretty equal I come out ahead with LAN. Your situation may vary of course.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:42 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:As well, you completely misunderstand the $179 fee for booking an inappropriate ticket, or you refuse to understand, or are incapable of understanding. Pick one or all, doesn't matter to me. Or are you just jealous because you do not have a CE so others can get a better price than you?

Folks, feel free to believe chi chi at your peril. He is wrong (as usual).

(BTW It did sound good. And it was good! I bulked up on 7 trips already.)


??? I booked a few times economy class with LAN but always got upgraded to business class because the flight was overbooked. So, they gave me $150 in cash and a business class seat for me and my gf a few hours later.

I have to agree that because I am in possession of a '' CABIN CREW MEMBER CERTIFICATE'' helps a lot. It's even much better than one of those VIP's.

If LAN's flights are usually overbooked (pretty much always in your case if we're to believe your stories of always being upgraded and getting cash back) how is it you expect them to book more foreigners on their flights so they can make much more money?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:52 pm

chi chi wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:If LAN's flights are usually overbooked (pretty much always in your case if we're to believe your stories of always being upgraded and getting cash back) how is it you expect them to book more foreigners on their flights so they can make much more money?


I booked my domestic flights with a connection with an international flight so I never had to pay the $180 fee.

Nobody books a domestic flight if they have to pay an extra $180. But LAN's $180 gringo surcharge benefits the decent airlines like Starperu, LCP, ATSA and Avianca.

I'm still trying to make sense of your statement that LAN can make "much more money" by selling tickets to foreigners by eliminating the discount offered to residents. It's not a fee for foreigners, it's a discount for residents, so if LAN eliminates this discount, residents have to pay more, not less as you somehow suggest would happen. If LAN eliminates the discounted fares offered to residents how would it be any cheaper for non-residents? Nothing suggests eliminating the residents discount would mean that non-resident fares would drop by the amount of the discount or any other amount. Residents would lose their access to "democratic" fares, or, in the correct sense of the word, by losing the discount and paying higher fares equal to that of non-residents, the residents would in reality paying more democratic, equal for all, fares.

If LAN's flights are full to the point of being overbooked whenever you travel with them, how exactly is it that they can sell more tickets to foreigners? Put them on the wings or in the cargo hold? They've reached capacity. Full up. Sold out. There're no more possible tickets to sell to foreigners or residents.

Maybe I'm trying to make sense of a statement lacking common and/or business sense or logic. A statement that was never meant to be taken seriously.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:52 am

There was some misleading information published which led to some strong responses; both detract from the original purpose of the thread. I removed most of them and would ask that people check their facts before posting information. I hope we can get back on track now.

To add my own two cents, I bought a few international tickets last night with both LAN and American Airlines.

In the case of the LAN flight, I found the tickets cheaper on KAYAK than on the LAN website.

In the second case, the tickets from American (going to the USA) were $400 cheaper than other competitors, including companies partipating in this cybersale (like LAN and Avianca).

So, my point is that while they have some great special offers, don´t be fooled into thinking that there are generalized cheap prices by the airlines during this sale. It´s not the case at all.

And anyone who needs to travel to the States might want to check American Airlines. There are some really sweet deals popping up.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:04 am

When booking a discount fare or any other fare, always check what's included.

Some airlines only allow you to take handbaggage if you book some fares so you have to pay extra if you want to check in baggage.

Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip.

Be also aware that many adds for cheap fares don't included taxes and other fees.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:29 am

chi chi wrote:When booking a discount fare or any other fare, always check what's included.

Some airlines only allow you to take handbaggage if you book some fares so you have to pay extra if you want to check in baggage.

Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip.

Be also aware that many adds for cheap fares don't included taxes and other fees.


“Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip.”

This is incorrect and misleading information. There may be exorbitant charges for those changes though. Please provide an example of any fare rules that state you cannot change travel dates or not provide a refund.

Here is a typical fare rules for one the most restrictive discount fare I know:

PENALTIES
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.                  ///
          -CAMBIOS-
          CAMBIOS DE FECHA/VUELO ANTES O EL MISMO DIA DEL
          VUELO
          CAMBIOS PERMITIDOS SIN CARGO.
          FRENTE A UN CAMBIO DE FECHA/VUELO- SI LA TARIFA
          ANTERIORMENTE COMPRADA YA NO ESTA DISPONIBLE O EL
          CAMBIO NO CUMPLE CON LAS RESTRICCIONES ORIGINALES
          DE LA TARIFA EL PASAJERO PODRA OPTAR POR UNA
          TARIFA SUPERIOR PAGANDO LA DIFERENCIA
          CAMBIOS DE FECHA/VUELO PARA PASAJES/BILLETES  QUE
          HAN SIDO PARCIALMENTE UTILIZADOS-SE LE CARGARA LA
          DIFERENCIA ENTRE EL VALOR DEL NUEVO PASAJE Y EL
          VALOR DEL PASAJE ORIGINAL
          CAMBIOS DE FECHA/VUELO DESPUES DEL DIA DE SALIDA
          DEL VUELO
          PERMITE CAMBIOS DE FECHA/VUELO UN CARGO DE
          USD 15.00 CADA VEZ QUE USTED MODIFICA SU VIAJE
          PARA CAMBIOS DE FECHA/VUELO EN PASAJES/BILLETES DE
          NIGNOS E INFANTES SE LE APLICARA EL DESCUENTO
          CORRESPONDIENTE AL CARGO POR CAMBIO DE USD 15.00
          FRENTE A UN CAMBIO DE FECHA/VUELO- SI LA TARIFA
          ANTERIORMENTE COMPRADA YA NO ESTA DISPONIBLE O EL
          CAMBIO NO CUMPLE CON LAS RESTRICCIONES ORIGINALES
          DE LA TARIFA EL PASAJERO PODRA OPTAR POR UNA
          TARIFA SUPERIOR PAGANDO LA DIFERENCIA Y EL CARGO
          CORRESPONDIENTE AL CAMBIO.
          CAMBIOS DE FECHA/VUELO PARA PASAJES/BILLETES  QUE
          HAN SIDO PARCIALMENTE UTILIZADOS-SE LE CARGARA LA
          DIFERENCIA ENTRE EL VALOR DEL NUEVO PASAJE Y EL
          VALOR DEL PASAJE ORIGINAL MAS EL CARGO
          CORRESPONDIENTE AL CAMBIO
          DEVOLUCIONES-
          PERMITE DEVOLUCIONES CON UN CARGO DE USD 50.00
          DEVOLUCIONES PARA PASAJES/BILLETES DE NINOS E
          INFANTES SE LE APLICARA EL DESCUENTO
          CORRESPONDIENTE AL CARGO POR DEVOLUCION DE USD
          50.00
          DEVOLUCIONES DE PASAJES/BILLETES QUE HAN SIDO
          PARCIALMENTE USADOS- SE LE DEVOLVERA LA DIFERENCIA
          ENTRE EL VALOR DEL PASAJE ORIGINAL Y EL COSTO DEL
          VIAJE YA REALIZADO MENOS EL CARGO POR DEVOLUCIONES
          CORRESPONDIENTE.
          NOTA-
          APLICAN CONDICIONES PARA ENDOSOS SEGUN EL CODIGO
          DE PROTECCION Y DEFENSA DEL CONSUMIDOR.
          RECORDARLAS EN WWW.LAN.COM
          PARA AGENCIAS DE VIAJES WWW.MUNDOLAN.COM
          PARA EMPRESAS INSCRITAS WWW.LAN.COM/EMPRESAS
          PARA OFICINAS DE VENTA PORTAL LINEA DE VENTA
          ///
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          APLICAN CONDICIONES PARA ENDOSOS SEGUN EL CODIGO
          DE PROTECCION Y DEFENSA DEL CONSUMIDOR.
          PARA AGENCIAS DE VIAJES WWW.MUNDOLAN.COM
          PARA EMPRESAS INSCRITAS WWW.LAN.COM/EMPRESAS
          PARA OFICINAS DE VENTA PORTAL LINEA DE VENTA
          ///
HIP/MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS
   NO HIP OR MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS APPLY.
TICKET ENDORSEMENTS
   TICKET ENDORSEMENT NOT REQUIRED.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:38 am

Alan wrote:There was some misleading information published which led to some strong responses; both detract from the original purpose of the thread. I removed most of them and would ask that people check their facts before posting information. I hope we can get back on track now.

To add my own two cents, I bought a few international tickets last night with both LAN and American Airlines.

In the case of the LAN flight, I found the tickets cheaper on KAYAK than on the LAN website.

In the second case, the tickets from American (going to the USA) were $400 cheaper than other competitors, including companies partipating in this cybersale (like LAN and Avianca).

So, my point is that while they have some great special offers, don´t be fooled into thinking that there are generalized cheap prices by the airlines during this sale. It´s not the case at all.

And anyone who needs to travel to the States might want to check American Airlines. There are some really sweet deals popping up.


Please do remove posts with misleading info, gets my vote.

“In the case of the LAN flight, I found the tickets cheaper on KAYAK than on the LAN website.”

This caught my attention. Were you actually able to book the Kayak fare? I ask because sometimes the Kayak-Orbitz-Travelocity fare will reprice and be “unavailable” when it is too low and the booking price is changed to higher. Or it is just catching a changing fare before the two computer systems talk to update fares.

Just to add. Any LAN flight you can actually buy from a Kayak search can be bought from LAN. Because the Kayak searches uses LAN provided information. But there are some cheap LAN fares that will not show on Kayak so you did good checking both sites.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:01 pm

teamoperu wrote:
Alan wrote:

To add my own two cents, I bought a few international tickets last night with both LAN and American Airlines.

In the case of the LAN flight, I found the tickets cheaper on KAYAK than on the LAN website.

In the second case, the tickets from American (going to the USA) were $400 cheaper than other competitors, including companies partipating in this cybersale (like LAN and Avianca).

So, my point is that while they have some great special offers, don´t be fooled into thinking that there are generalized cheap prices by the airlines during this sale. It´s not the case at all.

And anyone who needs to travel to the States might want to check American Airlines. There are some really sweet deals popping up.




“In the case of the LAN flight, I found the tickets cheaper on KAYAK than on the LAN website.”

This caught my attention. Were you actually able to book the Kayak fare? I ask because sometimes the Kayak-Orbitz-Travelocity fare will reprice and be “unavailable” when it is too low and the booking price is changed to higher. Or it is just catching a changing fare before the two computer systems talk to update fares.

Just to add. Any LAN flight you can actually buy from a Kayak search can be bought from LAN. Because the Kayak searches uses LAN provided information. But there are some cheap LAN fares that will not show on Kayak so you did good checking both sites.


Yes, the sale went through, and though I checked on the LAN site, I couldn´t find the same price. Like you say, probably different flights altogether. Mexico City, btw, for less than $300.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Look, I simply announced a sale, thinking it might be helpful to some and then got bombarded by chichi nonsensicality. You are just adding to it MrEd. Do not worry, I've learned my lesson, I won't be giving any more heads up on sales here.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:43 pm

teamoperu wrote:Look, I simply announced a sale, thinking it might be helpful to some and then got bombarded by chichi nonsensicality. You are just adding to it MrEd. Do not worry, I've learned my lesson, I won't be giving any more heads up on sales here.


I only warned people that they have to take into account that when they aren't a resident in Peru that they get charged an extra $177 on certain fares on domestic flights.

I don't think that's nonsense.

(The only nonsense comes from LAN for charging $177 to non residents.)
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Look, I simply announced a sale, thinking it might be helpful to some and then got bombarded by chichi nonsensicality. You are just adding to it MrEd. Do not worry, I've learned my lesson, I won't be giving any more heads up on sales here.


I only warned people that they have to take into account that when they aren't a resident in Peru that they get charged an extra $177 on certain fares on domestic flights.

I don't think that's nonsense.

(The only nonsense comes from LAN for charging $177 to non residents.)


AAAUUUGGGHHH!

“I only warned people that they have to take into account that when they aren't a resident in Peru that they get charged an extra $177 on certain fares on domestic flights.”

Nonsense. Listen up! They don't get charged an extra $178 when they buy a ticket. They MAY have to pay if they are caught cheating using an ineligible ticket.* And this add on just adjusts to the cost of the correct fare available to residents and non-residents.

“(The only nonsense comes from LAN for charging $177 to non residents.)”

Nonsense. LAN does not charge $178 to non-residents. There are discount fares that are eligible only to residents and fares that are more expensive eligible to residents and non-residents.

As suggested, please check your facts before you post... Or listen to people who do know the facts.**

* Even this standard interpretation has recently become questionable since LAN changed their fare rules for Base fares.

** Here are the fare rules (the binding contract) for Base X fares in Peru sold by LAN. Feel free to point out to me anywhere where it states LAN charges non-residents $178 more!:

Regulaciones
Sobre las siguientes regulaciones ten presente que:
Para las restricciones de cambios, devolución y estadías (mínimas y máximas) siempre aplicarán las restricciones con menos flexibilidad.
Recuerda que puedes solicitar el reembolso de las tasas aeroportuarias de los tramos no volados llenando el formulario de devoluciones, en Oficinas de Atención LAN o a través de nuestro Contact Center. Este monto es reembolsable de acuerdo a las normas y limitaciones de los respectivos países. Si las tasas no se incluyeron en el valor final que pagaste y fueron cobradas por el aeropuerto, solicita el reembolso directamente con la autoridad aeroportuaria respectiva, que están sujetas a normas y/o limitaciones antes indicadas.
Si tu tarifa permite cambios de fecha y/o vuelo, ten en cuenta que se aplicará el mayor cargo independiente del tipo de cambio que realices. Excepción para Perú Si tu tarifa permite cambios de fecha y/o vuelo, ten en cuenta que se aplicará el mayor cargo independiente del tipo de cambio que realices.
Condiciones para endosos y postergaciones:
Respecto al endoso:
Se aplica sólo en boletos 100% pagados, en rutas 100% nacionales en el Perú e iniciados en el país.
El endoso se realiza de forma presencial en las oficinas comerciales de las líneas aéreas emisoras del boleto, dentro de sus horarios de atención y con un mínimo de 24 horas antes de la salida del vuelo inicial, debe presentarse el titular y el beneficiario del boleto con DNI. No se realiza en Aeropuertos.
Aplica cargo por endoso de $15.
Los premios canjeados a través de los programas de Pasajeros Frecuentes, se rigen por los procedimientos de cada programa.
No aplica a empresas que cuenten con contrato corporativo, conforme al Código de Protección y Defensa al Consumidor.
Sólo se puede hacer si es la única reserva vigente durante las fechas en que se realizará el viaje.
Respecto a las postergaciones (para tarifas base)
Se aplica sólo en boletos 100% pagados, en rutas 100% nacionales en el Perú e iniciados en el país.
Las postergaciones se realizan de forma presencial en las oficinas comerciales de las líneas aéreas emisoras del boleto, dentro de sus horarios de atención y con un mínimo de 24 horas antes de la salida del vuelo inicial, presentándose el titular del boleto con DNI. No se realiza en Aeropuertos.
El cambio se podrá realizar siempre y cuando se respete lo siguiente:
a.) Las condiciones del boleto original, sujeto a la disponibilidad de la clase tarifaria que se compró o una superior; y se aplicará el cobro de la diferencia tarifaria, de ser el caso.
b.) Aplica cobro por reemisión de $15.
c.) Los premios canjeados a través de los programas de Pasajeros Frecuentes, se rigen por los procedimientos de cada programa.
La postergación será por un plazo máximo de 15 días siguientes de la fecha original de salida del primer tramo. Para los siguientes tramos, la postergación será de acuerdo a la validez de la tarifa.
Descuento en pasajes para niños
El descuento para niños entre 2 y 11 años se aplica a la tarifa de cabina Economy, sin incluir cargos por combustible e impuestos. Si el niño viaja en Cabina Premium Business o Premium Economy tendrá que pagar la tarifa completa.
Lima - Piura
Anticipación de compra mínima
Esta tarifa promocional no permite reserva. Debe comprar los pasajes/billetes.
Estadía mínima en destino
Estadía mínima en destino: 4 días o noche de Sábado o noche de Viernes.
Estadía máxima en destino
Estadía máxima en destino de 6 meses.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:15 pm

MrEd wrote:Chi Chi made two very informative posts to your 7 and counting.
Sort of says it all, you labeling that 'bombardment'


LOL As stated by the moderator: "There was some misleading information published which led to some strong responses".
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:22 pm

teamoperu wrote:
MrEd wrote:Chi Chi made two very informative posts to your 7 and counting.
Sort of says it all, you labeling that 'bombardment'


LOL As stated by the moderator: "There was some misleading information published which led to some strong responses".


Indeed, that misleading information came from you. You failed to mention that non residents have to fork out another $177.
I know that you would love it that a poor gringo buys a so called cheap fare and then at the airport will be extorted of another $177.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:26 pm

MrEd wrote:Misleading? Let's look for it. I will do the work for you.
Chi Chi said
A) The are no frills but they it's a very good airline.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
B) They are much better than American and United Airlines.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
C) One of my favourite airlines is SouthWest Airlines.
The have profesional staff, clean aircrafts and very punctual.
Check. Batting a thousand. Now for his second post

A) When booking a discount fare or any other fare, always check what's included.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
B) Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
C) Be also aware that many adds for cheap fares don't included taxes and other fees.
Check.

Do you or the moderator have any evidence to back up your statement?


You are being silly. You are not quoting from the offending (and hence deleted) posts.

BTW, if you believe

"B) Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip. Check. Nothing misleading there."

then instead of throwing stones from behind a keyboard, why not produce just one teeny weenie proof, for example, one example of a discount fare rule that prohibit refunds?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:28 pm

In this day and age if you don't read the fare rules or the baggage policies of an airline you kind of deserve what you get. It clearly states on the LAN website that the $177 is charged to non-residents who book a fare for eligible residents and are unable to prove their residency/eligibility for that cheaper fare. Once again, it's not a charge for non-residents, it's a discount offered to eligible residents. It's an entirely different fare that not everyone is eligible for. It's the responsibility of the person booking the flight to book a fare they're eligible for. If someone offers 50% off for seniors over 65 and you take them up on the offer yet are unable to prove you are 65 don't complain when they charge you full price and then say it's not fair to you because you are under 65 and are being ripped off by a scam. If the normal fare on LAN is $677 and the discounted fare for residents is $500 then the normal fare is $677 - not $500 with an extra charge of $177. If you find that the normal fare of $677 is too high and you are not eligible for the discounted fare than LAN is too expensive for you and you should book on another airline, but no one is scamming you, no one is ripping you off. It's capitalism (much as you hate capitalism). There's competition. You should be thankful there are other options that may (or may not) be cheaper for you to fly because there normal fares are cheaper than LAN's normal fares. It seems like you're jealous of that LAN offers a discount to residents and not to everybody so instead of being happy that a Peruvian resident who makes less money (so much less that you point out they can't afford to buy a decent meal) is now able to fly at a "democratic" price and explore their country or visit relatives because they have access to discounted fares you are jealously twisting the facts and whining to make it seem that you are being charged extra for a fare that you are simply not eligible for, just like those under 65 are not eligible for senior discounts or adults aren't eligible for children's prices. Sorry, Charlie, you're just not eligible to fly on that fare. It's as simple as that. There's no scam. There's no hidden charges or fees. There's no extortion, as you claim. If you try and cheat the system by booking a fare you are not eligible for and are caught they will charge you the difference so that you pay the normal, non-discounted fare that you are eligible for. Read the fare rules. How can you be extorted if you know what you are paying for? If you click on the 'I accept the terms and condition' box you are not being extorted. You're complaining after the fact of accepting the terms and conditions. Why would you blame the airline because you can't read or you chose to ignore the terms and conditions of a fare thinking they don't apply to you? Crying about scams and ripoffs just makes you look like a guy who doesn't understand the rules and doesn't know how to read the fare restrictions. You really should just fly another airline if you don't like LAN, feel you can get a better deal elsewhere, or falsely cling to your misguided notions of scams and ripoffs. Somehow I get the feeling LAN will not miss you and probably doesn't want a customer who falsely maligns them flying on their airline anyway. I assure you your seat will be filled by a grateful passenger. LAN most likely would rather offer a discount to an appreciative resident than eliminate their non-existent "fee" or otherwise offer you the same rate. Their revenue stays the exact same and they would have a grateful passenger instead of a potential trouble making malcontent who bad mouths their airline.

And you never explained how LAN can "make much more money" by eliminating this resident's discount or how eliminating this discount will result in cheaper fares for residents who can currently take advantage of the discount or how they can sell more seats when their flights are usually sold-out, or in your case, always overbooked. This is the misinformation I'd like to see cleared up with an actual explanation instead of just making a proclamation without anything to back it up. You'd make a great politician, chi chi. Always making promises but never having a plan to actually deliver on those promises.
Last edited by ironchefchris on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
MrEd wrote:Chi Chi made two very informative posts to your 7 and counting.
Sort of says it all, you labeling that 'bombardment'


LOL As stated by the moderator: "There was some misleading information published which led to some strong responses".


Indeed, that misleading information came from you. You failed to mention that non residents have to fork out another $177.
I know that you would love it that a poor gringo buys a so called cheap fare and then at the airport will be extorted of another $177.


I know you want to beleive that, or trick yourself into believing it, but it was you that provided incorrect misleading information. I only corrected you.
Still waiting for you to provide proof for any of your (mis)statements. Surely you now checked your facts before posting, as requested by the mod.
Please provide an example of any fare rules that state you cannot change travel dates or not provide a refund.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:47 pm

MrEd wrote:Chi Chi made two very informative posts to your 7 and counting.
Sort of says it all, you labeling that 'bombardment'


Oh, I see where you are wrong. You are counting what is left of the thread. If you would have counted the original thread the numbers were quite different... and you would have seen the bombardment of nonsense he was posting... and on a simple announcement of a sale OP. I won't be making that mistake again.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:45 pm

MrEd wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
MrEd wrote:Misleading? Let's look for it. I will do the work for you.
Chi Chi said
A) The are no frills but they it's a very good airline.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
B) They are much better than American and United Airlines.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
C) One of my favourite airlines is SouthWest Airlines.
The have profesional staff, clean aircrafts and very punctual.
Check. Batting a thousand. Now for his second post

A) When booking a discount fare or any other fare, always check what's included.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
B) Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
C) Be also aware that many adds for cheap fares don't included taxes and other fees.
Check.

Do you or the moderator have any evidence to back up your statement?


You are being silly. You are not quoting from the offending (and hence deleted) posts.

BTW, if you believe

"B) Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip. Check. Nothing misleading there."

then instead of throwing stones from behind a keyboard, why not produce just one teeny weenie proof, for example, one example of a discount fare rule that prohibit refunds?


I can only quote was is quotable. I will not pull things out of the air or make things up. What is silly is you want me to quote something that is not available to quote.

B)You will find generally getting any kind a refund from an any airline is like pulling teeth. Just Google airline refund policies. Here is a teeny weeny I found.
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/airline- ... 15696.html

I am sorry you feel I am throwing stones but I am just giving the facts. I guess it is true what they say, sometimes the truth hurts.

Just because those quotes were pulled by the moderator doesn't mean that anyone is pulling things out of air or making things up. If you go to the first page of this thread you'll see where I have quoted chi chi from some of these posts of his that were later pulled where I asked chi chi for further explanation on some pretty silly statements that he still hasn't attempted to answer or has just flat out ignored. At the time his posts were available to quote. Just because they aren't now doesn't mean they were never available to quote at the time. If you have trouble understanding this I bet the moderator would clear it up for you and confirm that those quotes existed and are not made up or pulled out of thin air. See below for a few examples of the deleted (not made up or pulled out of thin air) chi chi quotes:

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:As well, you completely misunderstand the $179 fee for booking an inappropriate ticket, or you refuse to understand, or are incapable of understanding. Pick one or all, doesn't matter to me. Or are you just jealous because you do not have a CE so others can get a better price than you?

Folks, feel free to believe chi chi at your peril. He is wrong (as usual).

(BTW It did sound good. And it was good! I bulked up on 7 trips already.)


??? I booked a few times economy class with LAN but always got upgraded to business class because the flight was overbooked. So, they gave me $150 in cash and a business class seat for me and my gf a few hours later.

I have to agree that because I am in possession of a '' CABIN CREW MEMBER CERTIFICATE'' helps a lot. It's even much better than one of those VIP's.

If LAN's flights are usually overbooked (pretty much always in your case if we're to believe your stories of always being upgraded and getting cash back) how is it you expect them to book more foreigners on their flights so they can make much more money?


ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:“Just be aware that if you don't have a CE, you will be charged and extra $180 fee.” Don't need a CE for international tickets (like calygirl asked). There is no $180 “fee” anyway. There is a extra charge if they notice you purchased a resident only fare. I've never paid an “extra $180 fee” but then again I am more experienced with Peru travel than some... ahem

“Be aware of this scam.” It is not a scam, it is upfront and clearly publicized. It is a way to make domestic travel affordable to residents and encourage domestic tourism. I quite like it and appreciate the lower fares I buy.


Nobody is going to book a flight with them if they have pay an 'extra charge' of $180.

If LAN abolishes this 'extra charge' then more foreigners will book a flight with them and they will make much more money that they can use to make fares more affordable for locals and encourage domestic tourism.

I noticed that when I fly with LAN on a domestic flight (I had a connection in Lima with an international flight so I didn't have to pay the $180) there are very few gringos on board but when I fly Taca, StarPeru or Peruvian, there are loads of gringo faces on board.
And those few gringo faces on board the LAN flight probably had an international connection in Lima so they didn't pay the $180 either)

I don't see where the scam is if everything is publicly and clearly listed on their website as far as how much one will have to pay. If you don't want to fly LAN, don't fly LAN. If I didn't have residency here I would fly the other airlines if the fares were cheaper, but since LAN offers me the cheapest fares because of their discount policy, I tend to fly LAN. Sometimes even with the discount for residents the fare is cheaper on another airline. If it fits in my schedule and the fare is significantly lower I'll take that airline instead of LAN.

I doubt LAN cares that there are few gringos on board their domestic flights and foreigners are flying other airlines to get around Peru. LAN doesn't need to abolish their discount for residents (or "extra charge" as some mistakenly refer to it) because their flights are generally full/sold out. There's no extra money to be made because there are no extra seats to sell. A S/. 350 fare is S/. 350 no matter if the money comes from a resident or a foreigner so there is no way they can make "much more money" as has been suggested. LAN could abolish this discount and charge higher fares to all but would then lose business to competitors competing on price and would pick up business as long as they were cheaper than LAN's new + $179 fares. Abolishing this discount will not make fares more affordable for locals and will not do anything to encourage domestic tourism. The opposite would happen if locals didn't receive a discount from LAN.

This should be basic economics. Stuff you don't need to go to business school to understand. I find it amusing that someone whose airline experience is limited to being a flight attendant and complains either that there is no work or that other people with more (determination and ability to hustle) than one job are taking up all the work believes they know better how to maximize LAN's revenue than LAN's finance department, executives and experts who program the algorithms which determine fares, all of whom have actual actual qualifications to do their jobs. It would be like an unemployed busboy telling Gaston how he should prepare his dishes or run his restaurants.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby mammamia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:09 am

ironchefchris wrote:
This should be basic economics. Stuff you don't need to go to business school to understand. I find it amusing that someone whose airline experience is limited to being a flight attendant and complains either that there is no work or that other people with more (determination and ability to hustle) than one job are taking up all the work believes they know better how to maximize LAN's revenue than LAN's finance department, executives and experts who program the algorithms which determine fares, all of whom have actual actual qualifications to do their jobs.


PANAM, US AIRWAYS, ALITALIA, CONTINENTAL AIRLINES, HAWAIIAN AIRLINES are just a few airlines in the long list of the biggest airlines bankruptcies. Those also used to have the best executives and experts and where are those airlines now??? Gone or have merged with other better players in the field. I'm not saying that LAN is a bad company or that it's going to go bust soon but you don't have to go to business school to understand that charging an extra 180 bucks for being a foreigner is quite a weird, I would say a Peruvian, way of making money.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:52 am

Businesses do go bankrupt, though LAN has had the good fortune of being around since 1929 so they're doing something right (at the moment). Should I have a medical condition I'll place more trust in the doctor (who may indeed be wrong) instead of the hospital orderly, same as if I was an investor I would trust the finances of the company in the hands of qualified people (though they may get things wrong or they may be the victims of larger economic factors outside of their control, i.e. the airlines struggles post 9/11) than an airline employee with no education or any background in the subject. Everyone seems to have an opinion on how to run the government, how to run the economy, how to run someone else's company, but I'll freely admit that LAN officials have a far better grasp of what they're doing to maximize profits for their shareholders than I do. I won't purport to know how to run the government or the economy either. It just sounds like sour grapes to say that because they are ineligible for a discount that LAN would be a more profitable company if they gave them the discount as well or eliminated the discount for those currently eligible and that eliminating the discount for residents would lead to resident fares going down. There's no basis in reality for that statement and so far nothing stated or shown that backs up that statement.

I don't understand what's so hard for people to understand that offering someone a discount doesn't equate to others be charged more, even if they pay more. Do you feel that if you are not eligible for a seniors discount that you are unfairly charged more than a senior who is taking advantage of a discount offered to them because they are seniors and thus eligible for a discount as offered by a company to those eligible? Do you feel you are being charged extra when you go someplace that has adult ticket prices and children's ticket prices? If someone finds that unfair maybe they should just shop at a pharmacy that doesn't offer discounts to seniors, even though they'd still be paying the same price as in the pharmacy that does offer discounts to seniors, you know, just to protest the injustice that seniors are getting a discount on their medication. Maybe those who are eligible for the LAN discount look at it as a discount that is offered to eligible residents off of the normal fare, while those who aren't eligible for the discount choose to look at it as the residents are paying the normal (and not a discounted) fare while non-residents are unfairly being charged a fee over the normal fare. Fortunately for those who believe that, there are competing airlines that theoretically should have fares priced about $180 less than they'd pay on LAN, though it doesn't exactly work out that way number wise, does it?

I think it comes down to that some people are somewhat bitter or upset that they can't take advantage of a discount they aren't eligible for. I wonder if they express this same bitterness or feeling towards pharmacies and other stores that offer discounts to seniors or companies that offer discounts to frequent customers or residents, such as when Disney offers discounts to locals who live in certain zip codes that make their admission cheaper than those from outside of the area, or Starbucks offers a 'buy four, get the fifth free' promotional discount to their frequent customers? If you don't like a companies pricing policy, take your business elsewhere instead of making false claims of scams, rip offs and extortion that just aren't true.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:12 am

MrEd wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:
MrEd wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
MrEd wrote:Misleading? Let's look for it. I will do the work for you.
Chi Chi said
A) The are no frills but they it's a very good airline.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
B) They are much better than American and United Airlines.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
C) One of my favourite airlines is SouthWest Airlines.
The have profesional staff, clean aircrafts and very punctual.
Check. Batting a thousand. Now for his second post

A) When booking a discount fare or any other fare, always check what's included.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
B) Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
C) Be also aware that many adds for cheap fares don't included taxes and other fees.
Check.

Do you or the moderator have any evidence to back up your statement?


You are being silly. You are not quoting from the offending (and hence deleted) posts.

BTW, if you believe

"B) Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip. Check. Nothing misleading there."

then instead of throwing stones from behind a keyboard, why not produce just one teeny weenie proof, for example, one example of a discount fare rule that prohibit refunds?


I can only quote was is quotable. I will not pull things out of the air or make things up. What is silly is you want me to quote something that is not available to quote.

B)You will find generally getting any kind a refund from an any airline is like pulling teeth. Just Google airline refund policies. Here is a teeny weeny I found.
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/airline- ... 15696.html

I am sorry you feel I am throwing stones but I am just giving the facts. I guess it is true what they say, sometimes the truth hurts.

Just because those quotes were pulled by the moderator doesn't mean that anyone is pulling things out of air or making things up. If you go to the first page of this thread you'll see where I have quoted chi chi from some of these posts of his that were later pulled where I asked chi chi for further explanation on some pretty silly statements that he still hasn't attempted to answer or has just flat out ignored. At the time his posts were available to quote. Just because they aren't now doesn't mean they were never available to quote at the time. If you have trouble understanding this I bet the moderator would clear it up for you and confirm that those quotes existed and are not made up or pulled out of thin air. See below for a few examples of the deleted (not made up or pulled out of thin air) chi chi quotes:

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:As well, you completely misunderstand the $179 fee for booking an inappropriate ticket, or you refuse to understand, or are incapable of understanding. Pick one or all, doesn't matter to me. Or are you just jealous because you do not have a CE so others can get a better price than you?

Folks, feel free to believe chi chi at your peril. He is wrong (as usual).

(BTW It did sound good. And it was good! I bulked up on 7 trips already.)


??? I booked a few times economy class with LAN but always got upgraded to business class because the flight was overbooked. So, they gave me $150 in cash and a business class seat for me and my gf a few hours later.

I have to agree that because I am in possession of a '' CABIN CREW MEMBER CERTIFICATE'' helps a lot. It's even much better than one of those VIP's.

If LAN's flights are usually overbooked (pretty much always in your case if we're to believe your stories of always being upgraded and getting cash back) how is it you expect them to book more foreigners on their flights so they can make much more money?


ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:“Just be aware that if you don't have a CE, you will be charged and extra $180 fee.” Don't need a CE for international tickets (like calygirl asked). There is no $180 “fee” anyway. There is a extra charge if they notice you purchased a resident only fare. I've never paid an “extra $180 fee” but then again I am more experienced with Peru travel than some... ahem

“Be aware of this scam.” It is not a scam, it is upfront and clearly publicized. It is a way to make domestic travel affordable to residents and encourage domestic tourism. I quite like it and appreciate the lower fares I buy.


Nobody is going to book a flight with them if they have pay an 'extra charge' of $180.

If LAN abolishes this 'extra charge' then more foreigners will book a flight with them and they will make much more money that they can use to make fares more affordable for locals and encourage domestic tourism.

I noticed that when I fly with LAN on a domestic flight (I had a connection in Lima with an international flight so I didn't have to pay the $180) there are very few gringos on board but when I fly Taca, StarPeru or Peruvian, there are loads of gringo faces on board.
And those few gringo faces on board the LAN flight probably had an international connection in Lima so they didn't pay the $180 either)

I don't see where the scam is if everything is publicly and clearly listed on their website as far as how much one will have to pay. If you don't want to fly LAN, don't fly LAN. If I didn't have residency here I would fly the other airlines if the fares were cheaper, but since LAN offers me the cheapest fares because of their discount policy, I tend to fly LAN. Sometimes even with the discount for residents the fare is cheaper on another airline. If it fits in my schedule and the fare is significantly lower I'll take that airline instead of LAN.

I doubt LAN cares that there are few gringos on board their domestic flights and foreigners are flying other airlines to get around Peru. LAN doesn't need to abolish their discount for residents (or "extra charge" as some mistakenly refer to it) because their flights are generally full/sold out. There's no extra money to be made because there are no extra seats to sell. A S/. 350 fare is S/. 350 no matter if the money comes from a resident or a foreigner so there is no way they can make "much more money" as has been suggested. LAN could abolish this discount and charge higher fares to all but would then lose business to competitors competing on price and would pick up business as long as they were cheaper than LAN's new + $179 fares. Abolishing this discount will not make fares more affordable for locals and will not do anything to encourage domestic tourism. The opposite would happen if locals didn't receive a discount from LAN.

This should be basic economics. Stuff you don't need to go to business school to understand. I find it amusing that someone whose airline experience is limited to being a flight attendant and complains either that there is no work or that other people with more (determination and ability to hustle) than one job are taking up all the work believes they know better how to maximize LAN's revenue than LAN's finance department, executives and experts who program the algorithms which determine fares, all of whom have actual actual qualifications to do their jobs. It would be like an unemployed busboy telling Gaston how he should prepare his dishes or run his restaurants.


What does any of that have to do with my factual points refuting teamoperus accusations of misleading?
I can not intelligently comment on something that you quoted with no verification. I have no way of knowing if it is the complete quote or even in context.
I can only recognize actual postings not what is not there. That really should not be so hard to understand.
If I were you I would be picking apart what I have commented on not something I have not. Oh wait you can not pick it apart can you.

Oh right. You're the guy who has a problem with education and thinks anyone educated is brainwashed and indoctrinated and were unable to correctly read a simple chart, not knowing the difference between one and a thousand while again mistakenly trying to correct information posted by a member you had trouble understanding. That could explain why you don't understand the concept of a post that was once there but is now deleted, believing if it's not currently there it never existed. Or maybe it's just paranoia. It's an interesting idea. Maybe you believe yesterday and it's events don't exist either because they're no longer here in the present. You would have no way of putting yesterday into context if everything weren't written out or otherwise recorded, would you? I've read that goldfish have very short memory spans as well and every few seconds it's as if they are experiencing a brand new life with no memories at all of what has just happened; which is probably a good thing if your life is limited to the inside of a small bowl. Unfortunately I have a feeling it's a different reason which explains your situation. Good luck with that. You should ask the moderator to clear this very simple concept up for you if you still have doubts or are unable to understand.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby mammamia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:34 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
I don't understand what's so hard for people to understand that offering someone a discount doesn't equate to others be charged more, even if they pay more. Do you feel that if you are not eligible for a seniors discount that you are unfairly charged more than a senior who is taking advantage of a discount offered to them because they are seniors and thus eligible for a discount as offered by a company to those eligible? Do you feel you are being charged extra when you go someplace that has adult ticket prices and children's ticket prices? If someone finds that unfair maybe they should just shop at a pharmacy that doesn't offer discounts to seniors, even though they'd still be paying the same price as in the pharmacy that does offer discounts to seniors, you know, just to protest the injustice that seniors are getting a discount on their medication. Maybe those who are eligible for the LAN discount look at it as a discount that is offered to eligible residents off of the normal fare, while those who aren't eligible for the discount choose to look at it as the residents are paying the normal (and not a discounted) fare while non-residents are unfairly being charged a fee over the normal fare. Fortunately for those who believe that, there are competing airlines that theoretically should have fares priced about $180 less than they'd pay on LAN, though it doesn't exactly work out that way number wise, does it?


Are you serious? How can one compare seniors'/minors' discounts with foreigner/resident discounts??? Give me at least one example of an American/European carrier charging people coming from a different country an extra fee. It would look like having "seats for colored" sign on a bus or train!

Like I said, to me it seems a pure Peruvian invention: ripping off passengers, be it on a bus when fares are doubled or tripled on a national holiday or election day or on a LAN plane when they charge you an extra just because you are a gringo and, supposedly, can pay the elevated fee.
eggman
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby eggman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:58 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
MrEd wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:
MrEd wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
MrEd wrote:Misleading? Let's look for it. I will do the work for you.
Chi Chi said
A) The are no frills but they it's a very good airline.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
B) They are much better than American and United Airlines.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
C) One of my favourite airlines is SouthWest Airlines.
The have profesional staff, clean aircrafts and very punctual.
Check. Batting a thousand. Now for his second post

A) When booking a discount fare or any other fare, always check what's included.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
B) Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip.
Check. Nothing misleading there.
C) Be also aware that many adds for cheap fares don't included taxes and other fees.
Check.

Do you or the moderator have any evidence to back up your statement?


You are being silly. You are not quoting from the offending (and hence deleted) posts.

BTW, if you believe

"B) Those discounted fares rarely allow you to change traveldates and you won't get a refund if you cancel your trip. Check. Nothing misleading there."

then instead of throwing stones from behind a keyboard, why not produce just one teeny weenie proof, for example, one example of a discount fare rule that prohibit refunds?


I can only quote was is quotable. I will not pull things out of the air or make things up. What is silly is you want me to quote something that is not available to quote.

B)You will find generally getting any kind a refund from an any airline is like pulling teeth. Just Google airline refund policies. Here is a teeny weeny I found.
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/airline- ... 15696.html

I am sorry you feel I am throwing stones but I am just giving the facts. I guess it is true what they say, sometimes the truth hurts.

Just because those quotes were pulled by the moderator doesn't mean that anyone is pulling things out of air or making things up. If you go to the first page of this thread you'll see where I have quoted chi chi from some of these posts of his that were later pulled where I asked chi chi for further explanation on some pretty silly statements that he still hasn't attempted to answer or has just flat out ignored. At the time his posts were available to quote. Just because they aren't now doesn't mean they were never available to quote at the time. If you have trouble understanding this I bet the moderator would clear it up for you and confirm that those quotes existed and are not made up or pulled out of thin air. See below for a few examples of the deleted (not made up or pulled out of thin air) chi chi quotes:

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:As well, you completely misunderstand the $179 fee for booking an inappropriate ticket, or you refuse to understand, or are incapable of understanding. Pick one or all, doesn't matter to me. Or are you just jealous because you do not have a CE so others can get a better price than you?

Folks, feel free to believe chi chi at your peril. He is wrong (as usual).

(BTW It did sound good. And it was good! I bulked up on 7 trips already.)


??? I booked a few times economy class with LAN but always got upgraded to business class because the flight was overbooked. So, they gave me $150 in cash and a business class seat for me and my gf a few hours later.

I have to agree that because I am in possession of a '' CABIN CREW MEMBER CERTIFICATE'' helps a lot. It's even much better than one of those VIP's.

If LAN's flights are usually overbooked (pretty much always in your case if we're to believe your stories of always being upgraded and getting cash back) how is it you expect them to book more foreigners on their flights so they can make much more money?


ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:“Just be aware that if you don't have a CE, you will be charged and extra $180 fee.” Don't need a CE for international tickets (like calygirl asked). There is no $180 “fee” anyway. There is a extra charge if they notice you purchased a resident only fare. I've never paid an “extra $180 fee” but then again I am more experienced with Peru travel than some... ahem

“Be aware of this scam.” It is not a scam, it is upfront and clearly publicized. It is a way to make domestic travel affordable to residents and encourage domestic tourism. I quite like it and appreciate the lower fares I buy.


Nobody is going to book a flight with them if they have pay an 'extra charge' of $180.

If LAN abolishes this 'extra charge' then more foreigners will book a flight with them and they will make much more money that they can use to make fares more affordable for locals and encourage domestic tourism.

I noticed that when I fly with LAN on a domestic flight (I had a connection in Lima with an international flight so I didn't have to pay the $180) there are very few gringos on board but when I fly Taca, StarPeru or Peruvian, there are loads of gringo faces on board.
And those few gringo faces on board the LAN flight probably had an international connection in Lima so they didn't pay the $180 either)

I don't see where the scam is if everything is publicly and clearly listed on their website as far as how much one will have to pay. If you don't want to fly LAN, don't fly LAN. If I didn't have residency here I would fly the other airlines if the fares were cheaper, but since LAN offers me the cheapest fares because of their discount policy, I tend to fly LAN. Sometimes even with the discount for residents the fare is cheaper on another airline. If it fits in my schedule and the fare is significantly lower I'll take that airline instead of LAN.

I doubt LAN cares that there are few gringos on board their domestic flights and foreigners are flying other airlines to get around Peru. LAN doesn't need to abolish their discount for residents (or "extra charge" as some mistakenly refer to it) because their flights are generally full/sold out. There's no extra money to be made because there are no extra seats to sell. A S/. 350 fare is S/. 350 no matter if the money comes from a resident or a foreigner so there is no way they can make "much more money" as has been suggested. LAN could abolish this discount and charge higher fares to all but would then lose business to competitors competing on price and would pick up business as long as they were cheaper than LAN's new + $179 fares. Abolishing this discount will not make fares more affordable for locals and will not do anything to encourage domestic tourism. The opposite would happen if locals didn't receive a discount from LAN.

This should be basic economics. Stuff you don't need to go to business school to understand. I find it amusing that someone whose airline experience is limited to being a flight attendant and complains either that there is no work or that other people with more (determination and ability to hustle) than one job are taking up all the work believes they know better how to maximize LAN's revenue than LAN's finance department, executives and experts who program the algorithms which determine fares, all of whom have actual actual qualifications to do their jobs. It would be like an unemployed busboy telling Gaston how he should prepare his dishes or run his restaurants.


What does any of that have to do with my factual points refuting teamoperus accusations of misleading?
I can not intelligently comment on something that you quoted with no verification. I have no way of knowing if it is the complete quote or even in context.
I can only recognize actual postings not what is not there. That really should not be so hard to understand.
If I were you I would be picking apart what I have commented on not something I have not. Oh wait you can not pick it apart can you.

Oh right. You're the guy who has a problem with education and thinks anyone educated is brainwashed and indoctrinated and were unable to correctly read a simple chart, not knowing the difference between one and a thousand while again mistakenly trying to correct information posted by a member you had trouble understanding. That could explain why you don't understand the concept of a post that was once there but is now deleted, believing if it's not currently there it never existed. Or maybe it's just paranoia. It's an interesting idea. Maybe you believe yesterday and it's events don't exist either because they're no longer here in the present. You would have no way of putting yesterday into context if everything weren't written out or otherwise recorded, would you? I've read that goldfish have very short memory spans as well and every few seconds it's as if they are experiencing a brand new life with no memories at all of what has just happened; which is probably a good thing if your life is limited to the inside of a small bowl. Unfortunately I have a feeling it's a different reason which explains your situation. Good luck with that. You should ask the moderator to clear this very simple concept up for you if you still have doubts or are unable to understand.




MrEd wrote:Like I said:
"What does any of that have to do with my factual points refuting teamoperus accusations of misleading?
I can not intelligently comment on something that you quoted with no verification. I have no way of knowing if it is the complete quote or even in context.
I can only recognize actual postings not what is not there. That really should not be so hard to understand.
If I were you I would be picking apart what I have commented on not something I have not. Oh wait you can not pick it apart can you."
I should have added to "I have no way of knowing if it is the complete quote or even in context." With, "I also have no idea what was said in a previously deleted post. Did you include all the posts that you say were deleted? Or just include the convenient ones"?

Whatever was previously written or quoted from, I was not a party to and have no way to comment. Maybe you would care to comment on comments I was a party to and have commented on.
It is beyond me why some posts, that you say were deleted, are so important to you. Aren't you going a bit off topic? If, as you say they were deleted, there must have been a reason.

Take an honest look at your last couple of posts with all those quotes. Can anyone really follow those or want to? I know I don't.



Deleted posts and rambling remarks...oh, the irony of it all.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 pm

mammamia wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:
I don't understand what's so hard for people to understand that offering someone a discount doesn't equate to others be charged more, even if they pay more. Do you feel that if you are not eligible for a seniors discount that you are unfairly charged more than a senior who is taking advantage of a discount offered to them because they are seniors and thus eligible for a discount as offered by a company to those eligible? Do you feel you are being charged extra when you go someplace that has adult ticket prices and children's ticket prices? If someone finds that unfair maybe they should just shop at a pharmacy that doesn't offer discounts to seniors, even though they'd still be paying the same price as in the pharmacy that does offer discounts to seniors, you know, just to protest the injustice that seniors are getting a discount on their medication. Maybe those who are eligible for the LAN discount look at it as a discount that is offered to eligible residents off of the normal fare, while those who aren't eligible for the discount choose to look at it as the residents are paying the normal (and not a discounted) fare while non-residents are unfairly being charged a fee over the normal fare. Fortunately for those who believe that, there are competing airlines that theoretically should have fares priced about $180 less than they'd pay on LAN, though it doesn't exactly work out that way number wise, does it?


Are you serious? How can one compare seniors'/minors' discounts with foreigner/resident discounts??? Give me at least one example of an American/European carrier charging people coming from a different country an extra fee. It would look like having "seats for colored" sign on a bus or train!

Like I said, to me it seems a pure Peruvian invention: ripping off passengers, be it on a bus when fares are doubled or tripled on a national holiday or election day or on a LAN plane when they charge you an extra just because you are a gringo and, supposedly, can pay the elevated fee.

In all cases it's a discount for those eligible to take the discount, whether we're talking about a discount for people based on their residency or a discount for people based on their age. I see it as a companies discount policy whether they're selling airfare, pharmaceuticals, restaurant meals, or theatre tickets. I myself don't see how what the actual product being discounted matters. Theaters offer discounts for seats, restaurants for meals, pharmacies for drugs, and airlines for airfare. It doesn't seem consistent to get upset about one form of a company discount while accepting others because those discounts are somehow different. I suppose that may be based on ones eligibility or ineligibility when it comes to their receiving a discount or not.

An example of this happening in the states is how Disney (and many other companies) gives a discount for local residents who show their drivers licenses and have addresses that fall within certain zip codes. That discount isn't available to international guests or US residents that live outside of those zip codes. Is Disney ripping off its international guests and those US residents who aren't eligible for the discount? Is it a scam? Extortion for the guests who show up at the gates and suddenly feel they have to pay more even though the admission policy is clearly stated on the website? Or is it simply a discount for eligible residents to get them to visit the theme park more often? Should those not eligible for Disney's residency based discount feel angry, upset, ripped off, extorted, etc. because they don't meet the eligibility requirements for a discount solely based on their residency? LAN's discount policy is clearly stated. There are no surprises. If someone feels they are being surprised and extorted when they show up at the airport is that LAN's fault or the passengers fault for not reading the terms and conditions they agreed to when they purchased their ticket? In a free market consumers have the choice to spend their money with whom they want. I understand not liking LAN's discount policy because it doesn't apply to everyone, but instead of falsely and maliciously labeling it a scam, rip off, or extortion, simply because they aren't eligible, those unhappy because they don't qualify should instead shop elsewhere. Perhaps it's true that no other airline offers discounts to residents - I really don't know. Instead of maligning LAN for offering a discount and an opportunity for people to fly at a lower, "democratic" price, like Disney does to increase business amongst local residents, I'll applaud them for being perhaps the only airline offering this type of discount. Instead of complaining because I'm not eligible and wishing LAN would eliminate their discount I'd hope that other airlines would follow their lead. I'm not eligible for seniors discounts or military discounts but I don't have any problem with companies that choose to offer discounts to eligible seniors or members of the military. Just because I'm not eligible for those discounts I don't consider the companies discount policy to be a scam, rip off, or that they're extorting me. Would you really be upset if when flying in the US certain airlines offered you a discount based on your residency, age, frequent flyer status, military status, etc., or would you think it a rip off, scam, and extortion?

Y.M.M.V.
eggman
Member
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby eggman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:57 pm

This guy went bonkers about LAN...did radio interviews and even created a poll.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7419
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 am

mammamia wrote:
Like I said, to me it seems a pure Peruvian invention: ripping off passengers, be it on a bus when fares are doubled or tripled on a national holiday or election day or on a LAN plane when they charge you an extra just because you are a gringo and, supposedly, can pay the elevated fee.


TACA was used to charge $180 as well to non residents on all their domestic routes but now not any more.
They probably realised that tourists aren't plonkers and that they will just fly Peruvian Airlines, Starperu or LCP or even started taking the bus.
Most tourists aren't high rollers. A big chunk off them are backpackers on a budget.

I don't understand how LAN can charge residents a lower fee by charging non residents more. I don't think that there are enough non residents that are paying the $180 fee so that they all those residents a lower fee.

Also they aren't always honest about the fee. I went to a LAN office and enquired about a flight from Tarapoto to Lima. They asked me if I have a CE or DNI but they told me that if I don't have a CE or DNI then I have to pay $180 extra but they told me that this is charged by THE GOVERNMENT which is a lie because this extra fee is charged by LAN. If is was a government fee for non resident booking a domestic flight then all airlines would charge that.

I am not a LAN hater. I flew several times with LAN on international flights as they had the lowest fare and LAN is a good and reliable airline. But if they wouldn't charge me the $180 on domestic flight then they probable will get more money from me if they offer me cheaper fares on domestic flights.
They lose. I don't. There are other options for me.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:28 am

Can I suggest this was a post notifying members of an offer that they may not be aware of. The information was not posted with the intention having a protracted discussion. The subject of levies / discounts are quite a hot topic and worth creating a new topic in the "conversation" section to discuss this topic further.
Only a suggestion.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 am

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby teamoperu » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:37 am

chi chi wrote:
mammamia wrote:
Like I said, to me it seems a pure Peruvian invention: ripping off passengers, be it on a bus when fares are doubled or tripled on a national holiday or election day or on a LAN plane when they charge you an extra just because you are a gringo and, supposedly, can pay the elevated fee.


TACA was used to charge $180 as well to non residents on all their domestic routes but now not any more.
They probably realised that tourists aren't plonkers and that they will just fly Peruvian Airlines, Starperu or LCP or even started taking the bus.
Most tourists aren't high rollers. A big chunk off them are backpackers on a budget.

I don't understand how LAN can charge residents a lower fee by charging non residents more. I don't think that there are enough non residents that are paying the $180 fee so that they all those residents a lower fee.

Also they aren't always honest about the fee. I went to a LAN office and enquired about a flight from Tarapoto to Lima. They asked me if I have a CE or DNI but they told me that if I don't have a CE or DNI then I have to pay $180 extra but they told me that this is charged by THE GOVERNMENT which is a lie because this extra fee is charged by LAN. If is was a government fee for non resident booking a domestic flight then all airlines would charge that.

I am not a LAN hater. I flew several times with LAN on international flights as they had the lowest fare and LAN is a good and reliable airline. But if they wouldn't charge me the $180 on domestic flight then they probable will get more money from me if they offer me cheaper fares on domestic flights.
They lose. I don't. There are other options for me.


Nonsense. LAN does not charge a non-resident $180 fee when you buy a ticket at their offices.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: LAN Cybersale Nov 24/25

Postby Alan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Cyber-sale is over and this thread isn´t really going anywhere new.


Adrian suggests a new thread on the conversation forum for all who are interested.


Adrian:
Can I suggest this was a post notifying members of an offer that they may not be aware of. The information was not posted with the intention having a protracted discussion. The subject of levies / discounts are quite a hot topic and worth creating a new topic in the "conversation" section to discuss this topic further.
Only a suggestion.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register