Enter and exit Peru Dual citizen

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Edan

Enter and exit Peru Dual citizen

Postby Edan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Hello

My wife is Peruvian and US citizen.
When entering and leaving Peru what Passport she should use?

I know for USA using American passport is obligatory.

Thanks

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Enter and exit Peru Dual citizen

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:13 pm

When you enter any country you should use the passport for you destination. i.e. Peru=Peruvian, USA=American, UK=British. The reason is any visa restrictions are avoided and in some cases Import taxes on declared goods.
chelsearob77
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chelsearob77 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:49 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:When you enter any country you should use the passport for you destination. i.e. Peru=Peruvian, USA=American, UK=British. The reason is any visa restrictions are avoided and in some cases Import taxes on declared goods.

What about exiting Peru?

2 of my kids have Dual citizenship (Peruvian & British) at present they both only have British passports, so am not sure if they would need Peruvian passports upon departing Peru? (they both have Peruvian D.N.I's, but not Peruvian passports)

Some people have told me they need Peruvian passports to leave, while others have said they don't & their British passports along with their D.N.I's would be fine?

Thanks Rob
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:32 pm

When the children leave the country, at both booking in and departure, they would show their British passports, otherwise you start entering in to the realms of notarised permissions to leave and can become very difficult for you.
I would however suggest you get their Peruvian passports, ready for when or if you return to Peru. If they do not have these, they would be subject to visa restrictions.
Edan

Postby Edan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:30 pm

chelsearob77 wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:When you enter any country you should use the passport for you destination. i.e. Peru=Peruvian, USA=American, UK=British. The reason is any visa restrictions are avoided and in some cases Import taxes on declared goods.

What about exiting Peru?

2 of my kids have Dual citizenship (Peruvian & British) at present they both only have British passports, so am not sure if they would need Peruvian passports upon departing Peru? (they both have Peruvian D.N.I's, but not Peruvian passports)

Some people have told me they need Peruvian passports to leave, while others have said they don't & their British passports along with their D.N.I's would be fine?

Thanks Rob

Don't bother showing Peruvian passport or DNI. For a short visit enter and exit with
foreign passport.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register