No rental without a letter from employer?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
wowiloveperucuisine

No rental without a letter from employer?

Postby wowiloveperucuisine » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:54 am

Hello all!

I've been apartment hunting the past couple weeks but I keep hitting this wall - the renters want some kind of letter from my employer guaranteeing payment for duration of the lease, but I'm self employed, doing free lance work on the internet.

Has anyone else had this problem? I thought I had an apartment locked up but at the last moment the renter cancelled on me - very frustrating!

Out of curiosity, if I wanted to fabricate the kind of letter they are asking for, what should it include? And should I plan on them calling the company?

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: No rental without a letter from employer?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:08 pm

If I were in your position, I'd ask for a six-month contract and offer to pay the rent paid in advance. This will also put you in a good position to negotiate a lower rent. IMO, fabricating letters sounds like a bad idea.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Ive been in Peru for years and rented several apartments all over, never have I been asked for something like that. -
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:54 pm

danjaker wrote:Ive been in Peru for years and rented several apartments all over, never have I been asked for something like that. -

I thought that just having a gringo face make the landlord think that you are loaded.

As you are self-employed then just make up the letter by yourself and put the phonenumber of a friend of you on it who can vouch for you.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Instead of making something up, lying, and/or getting a friend to vouch for you (all of which may work) you could use your paying clients as references. Worked for me when I was self employed and needed a reference; especially when coming from a corporate office or printed on company letterhead. Why anyone's first suggestion would be to lie is beyond me. If it were me I'd try Sergio's idea first with hopes of negotiating a lower rent.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:09 pm

ironchefchris wrote:If it were me I'd try Sergio's idea first with hopes of negotiating a lower rent.

Well, though this is a good suggestion for some, let's face it not every gringo comes to Peru with a wad of cash in his suitcase and crapping money out of their ATM's....But, to answer the original question, I have never been asked for an employment letter, income verification or anything for that matter other than ID , the deposit and to sign the lease.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:36 pm

MarcoPE wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:If it were me I'd try Sergio's idea first with hopes of negotiating a lower rent.

Well, though this is a good suggestion for some, let's face it not every gringo comes to Peru with a wad of cash in his suitcase and crapping money out of their ATM's....But, to answer the original question, I have never been asked for an employment letter, income verification or anything for that matter other than ID , the deposit and to sign the lease.

That's a fair point. As he said he was working freelance over the internet, I presumed he was making a reasonable wage. Also for anyone coming to Peru to live, it's always a good idea to have some savings to get yourself settled. But yes, I don't see why a carnet, a month's deposit and a contract signed at a notaria shouldn't be enough. I've heard of people being asked to show bank statements.
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Like in most countries I know it is very usual to ask in Lima letters from a renter's employer and/or ask for a "garante".

As pointed out by Sergio it is a good idea to go for a short term rental where generally none of this papers are asked.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:15 pm

If you ere here for a while maybe they'd check you on INFOCORP, but if you haven't been here fir long then yes, you'd need to prove you have an income and not default on your payments, it makes perfect sense to ask for proof and would be irrespondible not to do it.
To the previous posters... It may also be where you are renting... When I rented in Ica, all I need was a signed contract, my DNI and the money; I was paying 500 soles. My mom is renting her apartment in Miraflores, asking for solid income, INFOCORP OK history and 3 months in advance... Fir a $1500 apartment
Regards,

Argidd
wowiloveperucuisine

Postby wowiloveperucuisine » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 am

Thank you all for your advice. I probably should have mentioned that I am currently looking at somewhat pricey places in Miraflores... the necessity of a guarantee may be a somewhat unique feature to the area, because in Arequipa or Iquitos the subject never came up.

So far every place I've talked to has asked for a 1 year contract as well, though I will try throwing out the idea of a prepaid 6 month and see if that gets me anywhere.

Unfortunately the option of client referrals isn't there for me (though that is a great idea, thankyou). Internet freelance work was my own euphemism for being an online poker player, so my clients are mostly anonymous and wouldn't say anything nice even if they could.

I've noticed that when I tell people in Peru what I do for a living, I'm greeted with extreme skepticism and disbelief, probably because they aren't aware that such a profession can even exist or that it can be a reliable source of income. So I've been lying anyway, telling people that I am in investment finance and/or web design, depending on my mood.

Incidentally I'm not a fan at all of lying, I just want a nice place to live and it seems like I'm being pushed to lie in order to achieve that.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:36 am

wowiloveperucuisine wrote:Internet freelance work was my own euphemism for being an online poker player, so my clients are mostly anonymous and wouldn't say anything nice even if they could.

I've noticed that when I tell people in Peru what I do for a living, I'm greeted with extreme skepticism and disbelief, probably because they aren't aware that such a profession can even exist or that it can be a reliable source of income. So I've been lying anyway, telling people that I am in investment finance and/or web design, depending on my mood.

Incidentally I'm not a fan at all of lying, I just want a nice place to live and it seems like I'm being pushed to lie in order to achieve that.

:shock:

teamoperu in 3, 2, 1...
wowiloveperucuisine

Postby wowiloveperucuisine » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:38 am

^^ No intiendo :/
wowiloveperucuisine

Postby wowiloveperucuisine » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Sure, but within the context of the game it isn't immoral or scandalous in the slightest...it's just proper strategy. Also it isn't lying as we normally consider it all, but rather representing card holdings we could have, but possibly don't (which is always the case in poker).

Suffice it to say that if a poker player is playing their hands "face up" then they will never make any money. A certain level of deception is essential.

That said I find lying in non game situations to be highly unpleasant, and I'm sure I'm fairly bad at it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register