Moving to Peru for 6 months...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Moving to Peru for 6 months...

Postby johnstar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:44 am

Hola a todos,

I am making plans to fly out and live in Barranco, Peru from March 2008 until September 2008 to spend six months with my girlfriend and have quite a number of questions to ask....

First of all im a British citizen and ive been to Peru for 3 weeks last year so ive had the relevant injections, but as im staying more than 3 months, how do i go about dealing with the Peruvian embassy regarding extending my stay? Do i fill out the same forms when entering the country and then visit the embassy in Brena, Lima after 3 months to get an extension for every additional month or will i need to confirm the details before entering the country or obtain a visa?

Also i plan to live with my girlfriend in Barranco so if anyone has any good recommendations regarding restaurants, cafes, clubs, cinemas, pubs and any good or interesting places to visit in Lima or outside.

There are other general issues i will have to take care of such as internet providers, does anyone know provides the best service and how the process works?

I would also like to go to the national football stadium in Lima and watch at least one of the forthcoming world cup 2008 qualifying games against either Colombia, Venezuela or Argentina and also wonder if anyone has been to a similar game lately...how easy are tickets to buy? can you get them online or better to visit the stadium?

If any British travellers have lived in Peru or gone through the renewal process it would be great to get an idea of how things work so i can be aware of any potential problems.

Many thanks

John )

Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:29 pm

When going through immigration at the airport ask them to give you the 90 day visa. Tell them you plan on staying for 3 months. If you don't say anything then they can give you a visa for 2 weeks if they feel like it. So ask!

Once your 90 days are about to expire go to Migraciones in Breña and get an extension. I believe it's about $20 USD and you can only do this once. Refer to the UPL (Ultimate Peru List) there is information on how to go about this.

Finally, as a foreigner on a tourist visa you will have NO LEGAL RIGHT to sign contracts, therefore if you wish to get Internet Service then your girlfriend will have to do this. Telefonica is the only company that services Barranco at this time, so you don't really have any other choice. The minimum contract is 6 months.

For excellent Anticuchos in Barranco I recommend "Restaurante Anticucheria El Tio Mario" located right off of the Puente de los Suspiros.

Use the search bar above to find past posts where we've listed our favorite restaurants.

Ticket purchases are commonly done at the box office or at an authorized vendor. Most people do not purchase tickets on-line.

Welcome Back to Peru!
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:09 am

Thanks very much for your response rga, i will take a look at the Ultimate Peru List and get some further consejos about best restaurantes etc,

Also i forgot to mention that my budget for 6 months will be 1000BGP which i think works out at just over 5000 soles, i will have to buy general supermarket supplies each week but wont have hotel bills to pay as i will live with my novia, would 5000 be enough to last or does anyone think i will need a little more?

Gracias )
Parmentier

Postby Parmentier » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:58 am

If you plan to take taxi, eat at restaurants, travel, and buy at supermarkets (versus mercados = street market) , with 850 soles a month you will not go very far...
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:06 am

500-700 Soles is about the average salary, which means you will have to budget on 850.
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies here....

I will be working hard over the next 2 months to save as much as possible and am sure i will have a thousand pounds but based on feedback here, it looks as though i should aim closer to £1500 to be comfortable.

Gracias amigos )

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register