How do you change a computer to English, bought here ?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

How do you change a computer to English, bought here ?

Postby danjaker » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:46 pm

I know I should know this, but, when I buy a laptop here, how do I change it to English ? Thanks

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How do you change a computer to English, bought here ?

Postby chi chi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:17 pm

danjaker wrote:I know I should know this, but, when I buy a laptop here, how do I change it to English ? Thanks

When you change it too English, then there might be a problem when typing in things. You might type in one letter and get a symbol or other letter on the screen.
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:22 pm

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... y-language

Try that. It may not do everything but it may be a start. Also this is for Windows 7, if you have a different version search for that.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Yea, im not too worried about the keyboard being different, its fine, and im used to that. I havent bought the computer yet ( i just need to buy a new one very soon) it will probably be windows 8 (unfortunately) haha
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Using widows 8.1 os you can change the language in two different ways:
1/ go to pc settings from either search or bottom right hand corner click on settings then pc settings. Once in pc settings, click on language and region. You will most probably need to down load the language pack of your choice, but it is self explanatory.
2/ you can go through control panel, by right clicking the start button on the left bottom corner and a drop down gives you the various options. Once in control panel, click on language to down load the language of your choice and set keyboard. I am inclined to keep the Spanish keyboard layout, but it is a personal choice. once installed come out of language and go into region to choose where you are based and other screens. It is all very straight forward. reboot and the new language comes in to force.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Thanks! When I get it Ill give it a whirl
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Similar query, but regarding Microsoft Office 365. I was thinking about buying Office 365 online, but I noticed buying the English version is more expensive than buying a disc in a package in Sagafallabella, but I'm guessing all the online support and functionality/interface will be in Spanish, or is possible to access the English help desk and change the functionality to English? Anyone got any experience?

Update: It appears that if I buy a Spanish version of Office 2013, then I need to buy an English language packet if I want the interface/functionality in English. I'm guessing it's the same with Office 365. Anyone had experience?

https://support.office.com/en-ie/articl ... n-IE&ad=IE

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... 5800?cdid=[lc]
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Sergio it is a simple process to install the English language pack after installing the main programme. The language packs are available from Microsoft on line, but there are free editions available. Just do a search or better still go to:

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology ... load-links

They will give a full explanation and all the download links.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:14 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Sergio it is a simple process to install the English language pack after installing the main programme. The language packs are available from Microsoft on line, but there are free editions available. Just do a search or better still go to:

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology ... load-links

They will give a full explanation and all the download links.

Thanks Adrian. That's good to know, although I'm also curious to know how Office 365 works with its online support and help desk and updates, whether it's irrelevant if I have an English or Spanish package.

In fact, does anyone use Office 365 with the yearly subscription service and how do they find it? Do they think it's better to buy Office 2013 as one-off? From what I can see the subscription service works well for those people who have up to five computers that run on Windows 8 and need constant updates and support.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:52 pm

This is a very difficult question. It is up to the user to decide, but in my own opinion, I like to switch on my machine and know the tools are always available for me. I pay the one bill, get the updates and use the kit. I never have a problem that I cannot resolve and never have to worry if the connection goes down. If you are a business user you may find the cost balances out, but as a private user a quick trip to Wilson or on line will sort your problems at a minimal cost. I have installed office on well over two hundred machines in various languages, over the last year or so, with no problems updating or using.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:56 pm

I use the Office 365 for 2 years now ( as a home user ). The moment you download your version you get the option in what language you download it. Now you get 1TB of Onedrive on each of the 5 accounts you can create. Now my kid goes to highschool, so he got a PC for christmas, on which another version of Office 365 is installed without problems. I bought the (legal) 5PC version for around S/. 175 in Compuplaza. But this year they seem to be more expensive and I bought one in Ripley for S/. 200 including a one year subscription for an antivirus.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:42 pm

fanning wrote:I use the Office 365 for 2 years now ( as a home user ). The moment you download your version you get the option in what language you download it. Now you get 1TB of Onedrive on each of the 5 accounts you can create. Now my kid goes to highschool, so he got a PC for christmas, on which another version of Office 365 is installed without problems. I bought the (legal) 5PC version for around S/. 175 in Compuplaza. But this year they seem to be more expensive and I bought one in Ripley for S/. 200 including a one year subscription for an antivirus.

Thanks, Fanning. That's one of the things I wanted to know, if buying a Spanish version in Ripley/Saga was any different to downloading it in English from Microsoft.

200 soles doesn't seem so bad, as there is a price premium for downloading it in English from the US and the UK, which seemed a bit unfair, as this is not a physical product with shipping costs, yet it's cheaper to buy it in a little box here in Lima, which does have shipping costs, than it is to download a US ($99 per year, or about 300 soles) or UK copy (£79 per year, or about 360 soles).

http://products.office.com/en-US/office-365-home

http://products.office.com/en-GB/office-365-home

Also downloading it from Amazon is cheaper than going to Microsoft's US or UK websites, even though Amazon just redirect you there. Weird pricing strategy. I suppose Microsoft know that most consumers will presume it's cheaper going directly to their site rather than elsewhere and not bother to check.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:40 pm

In the end there is only a code in the package. You must download the software from their website.
The pricing in Peru is many times a bit cheaper than in US or Europe. For example Spotify costs S/. 16.90 a month, while in Europe it costs EUR 10, and it is the same product.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register