Documents needed for 6-month stay in Lima?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Documents needed for 6-month stay in Lima?

Postby clewis564 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:23 pm

I was wondering what documents I will need to apply to stay in Peru for 6 months? I was reading and it said the limit with a passport is 183 days. I want to stay for 6 months. Can anyone tell me what I need to do or documents I might need to fill out now to be able to do this? We have a peruvian embassy here in atalanta but I think they serve more local peruvian citizens than americans traveling. I was going to check with them anyway

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Documents needed for 6-month stay in Lima?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:54 pm

You just need your passport. You'll be given a TAM by the airline and then when you arrive at the airport, you ask the immigration official politely that you want to stay for six months. If they ask whey, then tell them the truth. It's as simple as that.

http://goperu.about.com/od/planningandp ... Andina.htm
Last edited by Sergio Bernales on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:20 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:You just need your passport and then you ask the immigration politely when you arrive that you want to stay for six months. If they ask whey, then tell them the truth. It's as simple as that.

And if they give you less than 183 days then you can do a borderhop.

Or you overstay your visa and pay when you leave Peru a $1 fine when for every day that you have overstayed and you won't have problems when you come back in the future.

I once overstayed 611 days and came back 5 days later and had no problems to get another 183 days stamp.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:23 pm

I also meant to say, there's no need to visit Peruvian embassies or consulates beforehand. It's totally unnecessary, unless you're planning on coming to Peru for reasons other than tourism.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Just come, no need to go to an embassy, when you land ask for 183 days, thats all.
If they give you less, cross the border and come back in.
Ive been here two years, only crossed the border twice.
emilirene

Postby emilirene » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:12 pm

I agree with everyone else. I asked for the full six months on my last trip. The agent raised his eyebrows at me, then gave it to me no problemo! I had no special paperwork or anything.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register