Return Flights

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Return Flights

Postby clewis564 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 am

One other question I had is if coming to Lima for 6 months I read you have to have a return flight purchased with a departure date at the time of arrival to show. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks Again for any info you can provide

Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Return Flights

Postby Danny55 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:34 am

When I was on a tourist visa I was never asked for this and in fact on a few occasions I have arrived in Peru with only a one way ticket.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:43 am

Ive never been asked here, nor anywhere else for that matter, and Ive had one ways all over the world. If you are strung out about it though, go to cruz del surs website and buy a cheap ticket from mancora to ecuador or something like that and print it out, thats all.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:01 pm

I've been asked to see onward travel and others have reported being denied boarding in the airport.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 pm

I've entered Peru 15 times in my life from 2007 - 2014 and never been asked to show a return ticket. The immigration process is usually pretty quick and simple. They ask what you are doing in Peru, how many days you need, and give you a stamp. Very few people are ever asked anything beyond that or ever have any kind of problem.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Yea, so it seems its a crap shoot really - go here http://www.cruzdelsur.com.pe/ buy a cheap one way over a border, print it out and your good.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 pm

We have been over this topic several times and as sbaustin states they can and do ask for proof of onward travel.
The immigration authority are not in the least interested about your travel. The responsibility is with the airlines to check this detail and if they do not ensure you have made the necessary arrangements, they are liable for a heavy fine.
I have been asked several times over the years when booking in. In the past I bought a refundable or open ticket and cancelled after arrival.

Please be assured there is a strong chance you will be asked for proof of your arrangements
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:34 pm

I've never been asked, but I've always had a return or outward bound ticket. I wonder if only having a one-way ticket sets up a notification on the computer for someone with the airlines to ask before allowing the passenger to board. There's been a bunch of past threads about this subject here and I'm sure other sites. Can't be sure but I think I remember reading that it also may depend on the airline you're flying. I believe it was mentioned Spirit, in their quest to squeeze every centimo possible, won't let you board without proof of onward travel, forcing you to buy another ticket if you want to board the flight. Getting a bus ticket from Peru>Ecuador, Tacna>Arica, etc. would seem a cheap insurance policy against potential last minute hassles at the airport. It's also been suggested that you can make a reservation for onward travel, print it out to show anyone who asks, and then never follow through and purchase the ticket, or buy a refundable ticket.
danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby danjaker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:25 pm

It does depend on the airline, like I said, just get a cheap $15 bus ticket out of the country, all you need is proof of onward travel, worked for me in the past.
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:05 pm

About four years ago I had one way tickets on LAN from Miami into Lima. I was called up to the desk and asked about the one way tickets. We had expired carnets. Thankfully, they did not notice they were expired and welcomed my family on to the plane. I was ready to purchase one way, refundable, return tickets if necessary. So, in my experience they do sometimes check.

As a resident, we are allowed to buy one way tickets in.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:37 am

Yes, it definitely depends on the airline. We had never been asked until recently. Our last trip was on Jet Blue and there was no way they were going to let us on the flight without proving onward passage. We bought refundable tickets and cancelled them the next morning. Immigration does not care. The airlines (or certain airlines) do care.
Loving Living in Lima
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:22 am

I got caught out like this in Madrid on the way to Peru from London. They forced me to buy an expensive ticket to Argentina which took some months of messing about to refund. Much better to be prepared with an onward ticket of some description.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register