Men over 60

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Followthesun

Men over 60

Postby Followthesun » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:02 pm

The health care costs in Peru are significantly lower than the US.
In a recent total physical, it was determined I have a slightly enlarged prostrate.
I have been prescribed 2 medicines to help, but I prefer natural products.
Any suggestions on natural remedies that you or others have had success with?

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Men over 60

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:52 am

I would see a Naturist (DR) and get some info. do not know of any in Peru, you may want to Google natural remedy prostrate.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:37 pm

You will find 1000's of natural product shops in Lima and most of them will sell various tablets for Prostrate inflamation. (enlargement) I am quite sure you will find most of them are reputable and the products are from reputable firms who distribute locally to world wide. Many of the products you will find are imported from different countries eg. USA.

You will find some of these outlets also have pharmacists on hand and it will help if you are satisfied that the persons working in these shops have extensive knowledge of the products. This of course means speaking and understanding Spanish or have someone with you who does.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:50 am

Mandrake is natural. Also it will kill you. That about sums up my feelings on "natural" medicines.

Which isn't to say some don't actually work. But I want reliable scientific studies as proof first.

Good luck.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Interesting point, valid concern. Most medicines have been derived from plants; which is one reason why protecting the rainforest is so important. Not trusting "natural" medicines that haven't been scientifically tested makes sense to the modern Western mind, but why not ask why "Science" hasn't tested these natural medicines? Why blame a plant or "natural" medicines that haven't been tested instead of blaming those who, for whatever reasons, haven't tested them? Many of these plants that have been labeled as being "dangerous" have been used by other cultures for thousands of years. Cannabis is a perfect example. For years it has been vilified and the victim of all sorts of crazy propaganda, yet only now (since the facade of the propaganda campaign has evaporated) is Science supposedly catching up, or more accurately accepting the facts. Cannabis oil has a long history of healing properties. Many scientists and scholars say it's mentioned in the Bible as kaneh-boson; holy healing oil.

I'm usually a fan of "Science," but when it comes to certain things I'm very skeptical. If science can put men on the moon, why can't they do adequate testing on plants that have been used medicinally for thousands of years? I can't help but think a major reason is because Science showing that many of these plants are indeed beneficial would cut into Big Pharmas profits which are dependent on people being prescribed often times expensive drugs that have been synthesized in a laboratory. Big Pharma wants us all dependent on their plant based synthetics instead of having access to the actual plants their products are synthesized from. They want prescriptions, not gardens.

I don't know anything about Mandrake. Obviously not everything that is natural is good for you. There are species of mushrooms that will kill you while others are edible. Throughout time people have discovered which natural occurring substances are beneficial and which ones are dangerous; usually through past use and common sense. I do know that many synthetic drugs are very dangerous and are responsible for killing many more than die from using plants. Even Tylenol can be dangerous to your liver, but you don't hear many people saying that because Tylenol can also kill you that it sums up their feelings on synthetic medicines approved by scientific studies.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:26 am

I've had no fears about buying and using "natural" remedies for an enlarged prostrate and have tried them.

Having said that I found none of them worked for me. I had to go back to the tablets prescribed by my doctor. Luckily I have no side effects apart from slight dizziness when I stand up sometimes as they lower my blood pressure (which is good in other ways!). I prefer the medication to the operation they can do to deal with it, which can also have side effects.

Incidently I'm less than 50! This is a condition that affects about 50% of men of later years, some of us younger than others.
Tom
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:23 pm

Regarding the discussion on treatments for prostate enlargement, historically, surgical treatments like TURP (there are a couple of procedures) have been the the only route for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) other than drug treatment. A treatment named Prostate Artery Embolization (PAE) has now become popular. It originated in Brazil and is now offered in UK, Australia, USA and Spain. I understand that it is given as an out patient and results in little to no discomfort. This is what I have read, however, I have no experience with the procedure myself.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register