Why no receipts?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Followthesun

Why no receipts?

Postby Followthesun » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:33 pm

I am looking for a cheap apartment until I get acquainted with Peru - definitely not Miraflores, etc.
I am dealing with mostly average people, but they all tell me they will not issue me a boleta/receipt.
They will sign a paper that I paid my rent, but nothing official - why?
Many small restaurants also do not give me a boleta, how much sales tax are they saving?

Thanks

danjaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Why no receipts?

Postby danjaker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Your in Peru, get used to it
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 pm

5%
leosmutter

Postby leosmutter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:43 pm

If you see a closed shop with big red stickers on the doors it usually because it didn't give receipts.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:15 pm

And small restaurants which are in the 'RUS' regimen pay a fixed amount of S/. 20 - S/. 50 a month. Depending on their sales. So unless they are about to pass a level of around S/. 40.000 a month, for these companies it shouldn't matter to much how many boletas they write. It is culturally motivated I would say..
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:32 am

Followthesun wrote:They will sign a paper that I paid my rent, but nothing official - why?

Our landlady does give us copies of her SUNAT tax payments on our rent, and that is just as well because when I do my SUNAT yearly declaration they ask me how much rent I'm paying and to whom. Then I can honestly answer without getting anyone in trouble.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 am

OP, you want cheap... you want receipts... make up your mind! :D
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:48 pm

I feel you can have cheap or reasonable rent - based on your financial circumstances.
Not all expats are blessed with a lot of money. I have friends that can not live in the US on their pensions.
Even if the rent is reasonable, the owners should obey the laws and issue receipts.
Just because some do not give receipts does not make this tax avoidance - right, in any country.

Thanks
PS - how much do landlords pay in tax? 5% or is it 7%? Where can these amounts be found on the internet?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Followthesun wrote:I feel you can have cheap or reasonable rent - based on your financial circumstances.

It all depends on what your definition of "cheap" and "reasonable" is. Obviously those words mean different things to different people. In the US and Europe that would generally be considered subsidized housing, Section 8 in the US. In Peru it's known as finding the neighborhood that you can afford with what you've got. As far as how much landlords pay in tax try Google or go to Sunat's page. Good luck on finding what you're looking for as far as housing.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:12 am

Followthesun wrote:I feel you can have cheap or reasonable rent - based on your financial circumstances.
Not all expats are blessed with a lot of money. I have friends that can not live in the US on their pensions.
Even if the rent is reasonable, the owners should obey the laws and issue receipts.
Just because some do not give receipts does not make this tax avoidance - right, in any country.

Thanks
PS - how much do landlords pay in tax? 5% or is it 7%? Where can these amounts be found on the internet?

There was a smiley emoticon there, maybe you missed it?
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:23 am

Yes, I now notice the smiley face - thanks.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 am

That is standard in Perú but stupid on the Landlord´s part because they cannot evict you if you do not pay the rent. Evidently there is a special Court that deals with Landlord/Tenant Affairs and in order to get a case filed the Landlord must show the receipt(s) from SUNAT showing that the taxes on the rent has been paid before the court will order an eviction.

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION THAT IS NOT ETHICAL. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE PAYING A GUARANTEE (USUALLY 2 MONTHS RENT) I WOULD NOT PAY THE LAST TWO MONTHS BECAUSE THE LANDLORD MIGHT NOT RETURN IT TO YOU OR OVERCHARGE YOU FOR ANY DAMAGE.

SPECIAL NOTICE - THIS ADVICE IS BEING GIVEN BASED UPON MY BRIEF KNOWLEDGE OF PERUVIAN LAWS AND YOU SHOULD VERIFY IT WITH A COMPETENT AND HONEST ATTORNEY.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:06 pm

DC,

That is great advice. Does any one know how to access a standard rental agreement for Peru?
I had the terrible experience of renting a new apartment and giving 2 months security.
When I gave notice and moved out, the owner told me the entire 2 months security was needed to repair.
I took excellent care with the apartment. The only issue was the paint was fading as I cleaned so much.
I now realize the owner used very cheap paint and thinned it out. This was not my damage but his stupidity.
I got scammed and had no idea where to complain... He never gave me boletas, only a slip of paper.

Thanks
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:28 am

Followthesun wrote:DC,

That is great advice. Does any one know how to access a standard rental agreement for Peru?
I had the terrible experience of renting a new apartment and giving 2 months security.
When I gave notice and moved out, the owner told me the entire 2 months security was needed to repair.
I took excellent care with the apartment. The only issue was the paint was fading as I cleaned so much.
I now realize the owner used very cheap paint and thinned it out. This was not my damage but his stupidity.
I got scammed and had no idea where to complain... He never gave me boletas, only a slip of paper.

Thanks

If you still have the Boletas then call him or email him and tell him to either return the Deposit or you are going to turn him into SUNAT.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:32 am

Followthesun wrote:I had the terrible experience of renting a new apartment and giving 2 months security. When I gave notice and moved out, the owner told me the entire 2 months security was needed to repair. I took excellent care with the apartment. The only issue was the paint was fading as I cleaned so much.

Our landlady has the same attitude: The 2-month deposit is for her to repaint the flat. This negates the whole idea of a deposit because if she's going to spend it and there is no chance of us getting it back, then there is no advantage to us in taking care of the flat or even making any effort to clean it when we leave. So this is a crazy attitude to take, but my wife has negotiated better terms with her.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:06 am

As a former landlord in the US, the security deposit was used to repair intentional damage to the property.
Having to repaint would be considered - normal wear and tear, not be deducted from the deposit.
Expats need more help in these situations - before they are subject to substantial losses and rip-offs.
Still trying to locate a standard rental contract that protects both parties.

Thanks
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:19 am

DC_20833 wrote: HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE PAYING A GUARANTEE (USUALLY 2 MONTHS RENT) I WOULD NOT PAY THE LAST TWO MONTHS BECAUSE THE LANDLORD MIGHT NOT RETURN IT TO YOU OR OVERCHARGE YOU FOR ANY DAMAGE.

That's what many tenants do and often the only way to get your deposit back.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:34 am

Followthesun wrote:DC,

Thanks

Send me a PM so we can talk on the phone about this there are several options.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register