What to Do on Mondays

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

What to Do on Mondays

Postby edgeclinger » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Ever notice how everything is closed on Mondays? So if you have a free day to enjoy and it happens to be on a Monday, your options are limited. Got any ideas to share re places and activities on the first day of the week? Restaurants or cafes that are open? Museums or cultural centers? Activities?
Last edited by edgeclinger on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loving Living in Lima
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What to Do on Modays

Postby chi chi » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:39 pm

If you live in Magdalena Del Mar then hop on the combi to Plaza San Miguel. Everything at the Plaza is open 7 days a week till late at night.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:08 pm

I believe the movie theatre near Parque Kennedy (and perhaps others) has discounted tickets on Mondays and Wednesdays.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Paint me surprised. I did not know that Miraflores (?) places are closed Monday. Sounds sort of civilized. In Piura Monday is no different from the rest of the week!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:12 pm

teamoperu wrote:Paint me surprised. I did not know that Miraflores (?) places are closed Monday. Sounds sort of civilized. In Piura Monday is no different from the rest of the week!

I think that the OP is a nightowl who only leaves her home between midnight and 6 am on Mondays. :lol:
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What to Do on Mondays

Postby edgeclinger » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:47 am

Just about all of the museums are closed on Mondays. The exception, I believe, is the Museo del Convento de San Francisco in Lima centro. Of course you can always find something to eat, but the majority of restaurants and cafes close on Mondays after their busy weekend.
Of course there's always the possibility of a nice long walk on the malecon or one of our many parks, taking in a movie or even mall shopping if you're so inclined.
Just looking for other ideas - or sharing of favorite places that actually are open on Mondays.
Loving Living in Lima
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:53 am

Paint me surprised as well. I'm here in Miraflores and Monday is no different than any other day. Didn't know that so much is closed in Magdelena Del Mar on Mondays. When I lived in Jesus Maria, didn't notice any difference on Mondays either. As a side note, Monday is always "Lentejas" day in all the menus, always one dish with lentils. Maybe something to do with "meatless Mondays"?
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Interesting. What started me thinking about it was that I had wanted to eat at Rafael's "El Mercado," and discovered they are closed on Mondays. It seemed that often in the past I had realized that restaurants closed on Mondays. But perhaps it is not as common as I thought. It's still true with museums and such, but from what others have posted, we can still eat to our hearts' content at most places on Mondays! I'll have to pay more attention and figure out what places gave me that idea!
Loving Living in Lima
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:38 am

The higher-end seafood restaurants are typically closed on Mondays, due to shipping and freshness issues with the seafood served. This is not only in Lima, but in many other countries. Anthony Bourdain spoke to this in one of his many Kitchen Confidential books. Here's a link to some information.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3140192

El Mercado will also take reservations for parties up to 8 people, but only for the first sitting at 1 pm and they must be made two days in advance. We stopped there on a Friday several weeks ago at about 1:30 and were told there was an hour wait. We didn't wait, drove down to Sonia's in Chorrilos.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register