A tale of calculation

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

A tale of calculation

Postby craig » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:32 pm

A Peruvian woman I know told me the following story about a friend of hers.

Upon graduation from university she lucked out and got a job working for a UN agency. That meant she was paid European wages and benefits while living in Peru and was able to spend her time traveling about the world on UN "business." She really was living high on the hog.

Then, apparently, one of her Peruvian supervisors began sexually harassing her. She filed a complaint. As a result everyone in the office retaliated against her to make her life unbearable. Eventually she was fired and the perp was never held to account.

She responded with legal action that eventually resulting in a substantial monetary settlement to get her to go away. She used her UN contacts to research the welfare systems of the world looking for the best place to go, using those same contacts, to live off her settlement. She found that Belgium and Canada seemed to be the most generous. Then she had herself artificially inseminated so that she could arrive in Canada pregnant as her research indicated that would maximize the benefits she could collect.

Apparently she is living happily ever after in Canada.

--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
cmcarriemarie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: A tale of calculation

Postby cmcarriemarie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Abuse of the system in such a way makes me wonder if the first incident - the harassment - was part of the calculation, or part of reality. Really a terrible shame either way; if untrue, it's a slap in the face to those who HAVE been through a situation of harassment, and if true, it makes it hard to be sympathetic to her original plight.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Thoreau

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register