Too tall for Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Too tall for Peru

Postby FDiH » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:48 pm

With 1.94m tall I notice that I bend and duck a lot. In Huanuco even the doorposts are too small. I must have banged my head at least a dozen times the last few weeks. At least I'm getting used to the fact that people stare (a lot) at the blond gringo.

There is a question ... I went to both malls in Huanuco to try find some nice jeans and jogging pants. I guess I should have known but none of the clothes fit me. Trousers go up to length size 34 apparently. I required length size 36.

Does Lime offer any shops were tall Dutchmen can buy some descent clothes?

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Too tall for Peru

Postby caliguy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:57 pm

lol, you're not alone with the head banging. although not as tall as you, those combis can really play havoc on the noggin. another possibility would be if ever in Lima, try the malls there. good luck on your find.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:28 pm

If you are very tall then it indeed will be tough to find trousers in Peru.

Why don't you buy a Scottisch kilt instead? :lol:
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:08 pm

chi chi wrote:Why don't you buy a Scottisch kilt instead? :lol:

I actually want the staring to stop, not become the tourist attraction of Huanuco :roll:

But thanks for the tip. Any specific mall or clothing store I should try?
Guiri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Guiri » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi, I share the same problem being 1,96 myself.
There is a fashion chain called "El"...they are on Ave.Larco in Miraflores and in all major malls. Found decent sized trousers and nice business wear over there ...they are also reasonable priced . :D
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:13 am

Have you thought about going the custom route by buying the material and going to a tailor. I don't have specifics but I bet someone more knowledgeable could tell you about what to expect to pay in gamarra. Guessing it wouldn't be much more than you'd pay in a store.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:16 am

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:34 am

Yes, bumps on head, even blood, have become a semi-permanent fashion statement for me. I am tall too. I can find nice clothes at Gamarra, especially at the outlets that have stuff for exportation.

“Short people go
beep, beep, beep”
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:16 am

I agree with IronChris - best bet is to try Gamarra or an equivalent locally to you to get your trousers custom made.

I am positively short compared to you at 1.85 but one problem I have here and I am sure you will find the same is finding shoes that fit. I have found that Clarks in Jockey Plaza (Lima) sell my size (but they are kind of pricey), but very rarely do I find any trainer or sports shoe that will fit me. I wear 46-47.

Good luck with your search and be sure to share your findings.
Dan
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks for the tips! Just found out there is an 'EL' strore in Huanuco. Will look for it next week and let you guys know if Huanuco is the new shoppers paradise for tall blokes. :)
19naia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 19naia » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:44 am

actually you end up becoming taller after all the bumps.. After so many bumps, scar tissue can pile up or actual knots -to make your height a bit more ,and the problem gets worse while making you taller still..
Or you can work a hunch back posture that will become permanent after a while..
I am 6 feet 3 inches at least... And have my fair share of scalp scars..
Tailors are cheap and fast in Peru, not sure about material selection to make good thick pants.. I used one once but not for clothing to wear.. I bought the material and the vendor pointed me to the area nearby where the tailors waited for people to bring the material to be sewn.. Lima has big business of the world's best quality cotton. All the high end world fashion people ,look for pima cotton from Peru and its big business there. Another agricultural wonder the Inca gave over to fuel modern civilization quality of life...
I think its grown and processed up north in Peru and then brokered internationally through Lima.. There's a famous market in lima for the pima cotton fabrics. I think its the Gamara market... all the best tailors and fabrics can be found or connected through there...

My son has weird waist to leg length ratios, even though he lives and shops the US, he rarely finds his fitting on the racks..
He gets his perfect fit by mail ordering online ,and the same brands he sees in the mall stores, he can order his fit online and have it mailed... Most US mall stores like Macy's and JC Penny's have online catalog that allows rare fittings to be mail ordered...
jwhmilne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jwhmilne » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:16 am

Near 28 de julio (crossing via expresa) there is a big, commercial mall called Polvos Azules where you can find a lot of clothes, shoes, electronics, domestics, video games (cheaper than other malls due to smuggling). Walk through the clothes area and you will be hassled by the clothes sellers who will tell you that they have your size, "tengo tu talla!".

The price is probably s/.80-100.

Map below

https://www.google.com.pe/maps/place/Po ... 1929?hl=en

Good luck. Let us know how you did.
Joe Milne
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks everyone. Haven't been able to 'shop' just yet. Will advice as soon as I've a retailer that markets for too tall people.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register