Tarapoto for 3 months (part 2)

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tarapoto for 3 months (part 2)

Postby jacqueson » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Well, since my last thread was locked, I'm back with a new one.

Thanks to sbaustin for the internet suggestion, chi chi for general tips, and teamoperu for recommending Piura and giving his honest opinion.

My follow-up questions:

Internet
- I understand that mobile internet coverage in Tarapoto is not so great, but speeds are decent, given that there is appropriate coverage in the area.
- If I bring my own mobile internet device, could I simply buy a SIM card and pay a month's worth of internet subscription for it to work? Please see pic: http://prntscr.com/66dbhd
- I also understand that most internet service providers have a "fair use policy" that limits your speed after a certain amount of usage. Is anyone aware of an unlimited mobile internet plan without this "fair use" limit? I would be needing to stream videos for hours, for work (about 5gb a day). Please see link: https://olo.com.pe/planes-y-servicios/planes-ilimitados (i prefer this kind of plan at least 5mbps but without the usage cap)
- Please note that while I'm staying for a relatively long time, I'm still technically a tourist (only with a passport and a foreign driver's license)

Food
- I asked my girl, and she says that the only western fastfood in Tarapoto is Domino's. While I can live solely on pizza, and I'd want to try out Peruvian cuisine (or any food offerings for that matter), it would be nice if there were some other default options in case I don't feel too adventurous on some days.
- As I don't really have a fixed schedule and I'm awake at random times, are there lots of 24 hour places and/or do they deliver?

Notes
- Just some additional info: I'm 30, from the Philippines, going to Tarapoto in May for 3 months, to see my girlfriend.
- Please keep this thread on-topic, as the previous one got locked.

Thanks a bunch!

KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tarapoto for 3 months (part 2)

Postby KenBE » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:40 pm

jacqueson wrote:
Food
- I asked my girl, and she says that the only western fastfood in Tarapoto is Domino's. While I can live solely on pizza, and I'd want to try out Peruvian cuisine (or any food offerings for that matter), it would be nice if there were some other default options in case I don't feel too adventurous on some days.

I have never been to Tarapoto, but I see that there is a "Rustica" restaurant there. They serve all kinds of pastas, pizza, chicken, etc. I used to go there sometimes when I lived in Trujillo and the food was pretty good.
http://www.rustica.com.pe

If you want to eat Asian food (or at least the Peruvian version of it), you can always go to a chifa (Chinese-Peruvian restaurant). They are everywhere in Peru and I am sure there are some in Tarapoto as well. Here is one I found on Google:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chifa-Ca ... 2407293167

Many Peruvian supermarkets also sell Asian/Chinese ingredients like soy sauce (sillao), Chinese style noodles, etc.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:59 pm

:D yes i'm looking forward to eating at a chifa. I'm very curious to know what influences their type of cuisine has. (since i'm very much exposed to fookien/cantonese/taiwanese cuisine). and i'm intrigued by incacola, as my friends always mention it when talking about chifas.

staple filipino/chinese ingredients are soysauce, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar. the rest are luxuries :D
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:10 pm

jacqueson wrote::D yes i'm looking forward to eating at a chifa. I'm very curious to know what influences their type of cuisine has. (since i'm very much exposed to fookien/cantonese/taiwanese cuisine). and i'm intrigued by incacola, as my friends always mention it when talking about chifas.

staple filipino/chinese ingredients are soysauce, vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar. the rest are luxuries :D

Peruvians also use a lot of soy sauce ("sillao") believe it or not.

Peruvian cuisine has a lot of Asian (Chinese and Japanese) influences. As I said before, you can find quite a few Asian ingredients in most Peruvian supermakets like Tottus, Plaza Vea, etc. (at least in the bigger cities, not sure about Tarapoto).

i don't know how good your Spanish is, but here is an interesting video about chifas and Chinese influence in Peru.

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:58 pm

jacqueson wrote:Well, since my last thread was locked, I'm back with a new one.

Thanks to sbaustin for the internet suggestion, chi chi for general tips, and teamoperu for recommending Piura and giving his honest opinion.

Just for clarity, I was not recommending Piura. Nor would I. I was using Piura as an example of how chi chi was misinforming you.

Tarapotato (love that Alpineprince) is a smallish place, no 24 hour food delivery service when I was there. But there are a couple of nice restaurants serving food I am sure you will find something you like. However, regardless of someone's imagination La Colma isn't one of them.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:20 pm

no problem with any restaurant recommendations. i think that 3 months is more than enough to exhaust all your suggestions :) then i can decide myself if it's good or not. my standards are low. anything that goes well with ketchup or mayonnaise should taste good to me.

it's more of looking for places/things to cook that my girl wasn't brave enough to try by herself (since she's from there).
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:28 pm

jacqueson wrote:no problem with any restaurant recommendations. i think that 3 months is more than enough to exhaust all your suggestions :) then i can decide myself if it's good or not. my standards are low. anything that goes well with ketchup or mayonnaise should taste good to me.

This is the most popular fast food in Peru: pollo a la brasa. It is usually eaten with mayonaise and ketchup so you will probably like it :D :

You can find pollerias that sell it everywhere in Peru (including Tarapoto I am sure).
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:23 pm

roast chicken *-* mmmm i bet it goes well with beer.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:29 pm

jacqueson wrote:no problem with any restaurant recommendations. i think that 3 months is more than enough to exhaust all your suggestions :) then i can decide myself if it's good or not. my standards are low. anything that goes well with ketchup or mayonnaise should taste good to me.

it's more of looking for places/things to cook that my girl wasn't brave enough to try by herself (since she's from there).

Cafe d' Mundo
El Rincon Sureno
Chalet Venezia
for a chifa I like Chifa Canton
for Peruvian there is a great... ooops, you are not interested.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:17 pm

peruvian cuisine in Tarapoto? :D I'm definitely interested. I will exhaust all the suggestions by everyone in this thread, hopefully; as much as my time and budget can take me.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:48 pm

jacqueson wrote:roast chicken *-* mmmm i bet it goes well with beer.

Go to La Canga in Tarapoto. It's the best pollería.

teamoperu wrote:
Cafe d' Mundo
El Rincon Sureno
Chalet Venezia
for a chifa I like Chifa Canton

The first 3 restaurants are the most expensive ones in the city. Doña Zuly is another upmarket place.

A bit more affordable is Mar y Fuego.
During the day they sell fish food like Cebiche and in the evening the sell great Peruvian food prepared.
Meat is cooked on a BBQ. Great place and excellent service.

If you like pizzas then don't go to Domino's go to Café d'Mundo. It's a restaurant by an Italian and has the best Italian food in town.

Chifa Canton is the best Chinese restaurant in town. It's always busy. Even during the week.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Thanks for all the replies :D

I'll keep those things in mind. The plan is to try everything at least once, and maybe come back for seconds if the place has good value (price/quality ratio of course) (yes i'm a geek) (subjective).
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:37 pm

and before I forget to ask.

Peru is the third biggest coffee exporter in South America (next to Colombia and Brazil). I was wondering if good quality coffee beans are available everywhere? including Tarapoto?

I am quite picky when it comes to coffee. I prefer whole bean, non-burnt, arabica. but blended coffee (arabica/robusta) is alright, as long as the beans are roasted properly.

by burnt, i mean, just like how starbucks does it. i'm quite puzzled why they would want to waste coffee beans by charring them.

It doesn't matter if the beans are imported or local, branded or not branded. as long as they taste good.

i'm bringing a hand grinder and my aeropress just for this purpose.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:42 pm

jacqueson wrote:Peru is the third biggest coffee exporter in South America (next to Colombia and Brazil). I was wondering if good quality coffee beans are available everywhere? including Tarapoto?

On the road to the airport, there are several mayoristas that sell coffee beans.
Buying small quantities wouldn't be a problem unless you are after 50kg bales.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:42 pm

50kg then i die.

i consume about 300g a week (around 8 cups/8shots a day) >< probably need about 1kg for a month's supply. then i guess i'll buy a small quantity in lima before i travel to tarapoto so i can compare. :D
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 am

chi chi wrote:
jacqueson wrote:Peru is the third biggest coffee exporter in South America (next to Colombia and Brazil). I was wondering if good quality coffee beans are available everywhere? including Tarapoto?

On the road to the airport, there are several mayoristas that sell coffee beans.

Never stopped to ask them, do you know where this coffee comes from, what kind it is?
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:29 pm

pardon the situational comparisons, but in the philippines...

most, if not all, of the coffee bean vendors do not know where their local beans come from. unless the beans were grown and processed within the province.

even city coffee shop employees do not know the origin of the beans that they use unless the containers have labels (to which i always get "arabica" as an answer -_-).

i understand this lack of knowledge as it takes passion to know these things. it's enough that they give you service with a smile, and offer you honest recommendations; on what sells a lot, on what's fresh/just came in, etc.

I'd say maybe 1 in 100 or 200 would be particular about single origin/blended/arabica/robusta/roast intensity. for me, i'm still getting there (i have no idea how to make espresso from a manual; for french press i know the grind size and water temp by heart).

I doubt that they know the origin of their beans, but i'm guessing the mountain regions XD. it's for me to find out which ones are good and which ones are not, just like what i'm doing now with all the beans that i get at home. but proper labelling and more knowledge about their product would be a plus.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 am

My favourite coffee is Nescafe sin cafeína.

It's the best and they sell it in La Inmaculada in Tarapoto.

1.png
1.png (47.93 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 am

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Never stopped to ask them, do you know where this coffee comes from, what kind it is?

Again, I never stopped to ask them, do you know where this coffee comes from, what kind it is?
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:02 am

>< no soluble or pre-ground stuff. i'd rather drink nesquik than nescafe :D or a coke. it will be more satisfying.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Nescafe is missing an ´o.´ It´s really No es cafe.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:36 pm

LOL first time i heard that one.

hmm... lemme see... i think i got everything covered :D thanks for all your responses!
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:31 pm

One option for your coffee beans could be Cafe Verde in Miraflores. Coner of Santa Cruz and Piura. They roast every Monday morning but only in limited amounts. Takes about a week to sell out. The owner gets his beans from two Peruvian locations, of which one at least, I believe he has some financial interests in. The other I am not sure about. He also has extensive knowledge of the industry including training prospective graduates wanting to get into the coffee industry.
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:48 pm

hmm i might be able to buy some beans before i head out to Tarapoto. I'll only be in Lima for less than a week before I head to Tarapoto. :)

I'll be bringing my own aeropress and manual hand grinder.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:50 pm

jacqueson wrote:hmm i might be able to buy some beans before i head out to Tarapoto. I'll only be in Lima for less than a week before I head to Tarapoto. :)

I'll be bringing my own aeropress and manual hand grinder.

if you're into coffee that much, i would definitely suggest you stock up on it in Lima. Tarapoto may not be as advanced in coffee roasting/handling as the cafes in the larger cities. damn! 300 grams a week:D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:00 pm

teamoperu wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Again, I never stopped to ask them, do you know where this coffee comes from, what kind it is?

So chi chi do you know where this coffee comes from, what kind it is?
jacqueson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jacqueson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:31 am

:D yes. i'm having blended uganda/brazil/sumatra/indiamonsoonedmalabar right now :D i think the 250g bag won't be lasting for more than a week :D

i think i should make another thread specifically about coffee :3

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register