Aeromexico airlines

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
gerry

Aeromexico airlines

Postby gerry » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:33 am

Hello!!

Does anyone have experience flying Aeromexico? We are planning a December trip,we normally fly with American Airlines from Montreal with a Lan connection in New York,but at this point Aeromexico is the most feasible avenue,it would be Montreal to Mexico city than Lima,the negative point so far is the layover of 12 hours in Mexico on our way back
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Gerry

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Aeromexico airlines

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:01 am

It's not the most current information, but I flew them a few times back in the 90's and early 2000's and they were fine. I would have remembered if they were terrible or exceptional flights.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:21 am

American Airlines and United Airlines are known as some of the worst airlines so Aeroméxico can only be much better.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:27 am

chi chi wrote:American Airlines and United Airlines are known as some of the worst airlines so Aeroméxico can only be much better.

chi chi's post contains inaccurate and out of date information. Believe it at your peril. I doubt he has even flown this airline.

I have not flown Aeromexico so cannot provide direct experience. But my fellow Frequent Flyers think it is OK. A 12 hour layover is undesirable for some. Many other considerations as well such as fare class you are considering, lounge access, your frequent flyer program, time of year, flexibility, flying with kids etc. Sometimes the lowest cost is not the best value.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:28 am

I am sitting in the concourse area of ATL typing this response. I will be departing ATL to Mexico City and connecting to LIM. I will let you know tomorrow........
gerry

Postby gerry » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:13 pm

Thank You
It's really appreciated

Gerry
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:58 am

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:American Airlines and United Airlines are known as some of the worst airlines so Aeroméxico can only be much better.

chi chi's post contains inaccurate and out of date information. Believe it at your peril. I doubt he has even flown this airline.

I have not flown Aeromexico so cannot provide direct experience.

I did fly Aeromexico 8) . You didn't.

And what's inaccurate and out of date in my post??? You didn't even fly Aeroméxico. The only thing you know is ''hearsay'' from ''your fellow frequent flyers''.

gerry wrote:Aeromexico is the most feasible avenue,it would be Montreal to Mexico city than Lima,the negative point so far is the layover of 12 hours in Mexico on our way back
Any info would be appreciated

A 12 hour layover isn't that bad. You can take the bus from the airport to historic downtown. It's really nice. There are many interesting things to visit and off course great food.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:06 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

I have not flown Aeromexico so cannot provide direct experience.

I did fly Aeromexico 8) . You didn't.

And what's inaccurate and out of date in my post??? You didn't even fly Aeroméxico. The only thing you know is ''hearsay'' from ''your fellow frequent flyers''.

That is not believable. Had you flown Aeromexico you would have said so in your original post. Revisionist history?

To wit, in your second post you still did not give an assessment of AM (even though you say you flew them LOL). What does that indicate about you telling the truth?

Your post was inaccurate and outdated because it did not consider the recent improvements by AA and UA.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:33 pm

chi chi wrote:A 12 hour layover isn't that bad. You can take the bus from the airport to historic downtown. It's really nice. There are many interesting things to visit and off course great food.

If you decide you're up for an excursion to the Zocalo or anywhere else, do not take the bus from the airport. You don't want to risk getting delayed in the inevitable Mexico City traffic. Better to take the Metro which is about an hour each way and is not affected by traffic. You'll make a few transfers, but it's all very easy and safe - especially compared to the bus. Obviously you'd want to check any luggage at the airport.
Dpapa

Postby Dpapa » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:38 pm

My wife and I flew from Lima to NYC on Aeromexico with a connection in Mexico City, but we won't do it again. The flight was diverted, and then refueled in another town. The customs check (without bags) during our connection in Mexico City took some time, and was in addition to US customs in NYC.

Although the ticket was through LAN (with Aeromexico listed as the partner), check-in was handled at the Aeromexico counter, which was on the slow side. The actual in-flight experience was positive, and the food good.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Dpapa wrote:The actual in-flight experience was positive, and the food good.

2 things you will never get with US airlines.

The best airlines in the world are the Middle Eastern and Asian Airlines, followed by the Latin American and European Airlines. US airlines are at the bottom.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:28 pm

chi chi wrote:
Dpapa wrote:The actual in-flight experience was positive, and the food good.

2 things you will never get with US airlines.

The best airlines in the world are the Middle Eastern and Asian Airlines, followed by the Latin American and European Airlines. US airlines are at the bottom.

Untrue. There are Asian and European airlines that are worse and US airlines better. Asian airline like Malaysian (or whatever the name they morph into)? Too much of a simplistic generalization = useless statement.

And chi chi since you have flown Aeromexico (LOL) how does it rate (as per the OP topic)... how about answering the question instead of giving a simplistic useless off-topic statement?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 am

teamoperu wrote:Untrue. There are Asian and European airlines that are worse and US airlines better. Asian airline like Malaysian (or whatever the name they morph into)? Too much of a simplistic generalization = useless statement.

What a childish comment. What happened to Malaysian airlines could have happened to any airline. There's no way the could have avoided being shot down.

Are you also going to claim that American Airlines and United Airlines are unsafe airlines to fly with because they flew into the WTC?
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:58 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Untrue. There are Asian and European airlines that are worse and US airlines better. Asian airline like Malaysian (or whatever the name they morph into)? Too much of a simplistic generalization = useless statement.

What a childish comment. What happened to Malaysian airlines could have happened to any airline. There's no way the could have avoided being shot down.

Are you also going to claim that American Airlines and United Airlines are unsafe airlines to fly with because they flew into the WTC?

chi chi since you say you have flown Aeromexico (LOL) how does it rate (as per the OP topic)... how about answering the question instead of being off-topic?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:54 am

teamoperu wrote: chi chi since you say you have flown Aeromexico (LOL) how does it rate (as per the OP topic)... how about answering the question instead of being off-topic?

It's a good airline. Off course the Asian and especially the Middle Eastern airlines are much better.

But Aeroméxico is much much better than American Airlines or any other US airline.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:06 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote: chi chi since you say you have flown Aeromexico (LOL) how does it rate (as per the OP topic)... how about answering the question instead of being off-topic?

But Aeroméxico is much much better than American Airlines or any other US airline.

Not according to world airline rankings:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/AirlineA-Z.htm

http://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/101/aeromexico-
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:05 am

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

???

Compare your aeromexico link then with the following of American Airlines.

http://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/7 ... n-airlines

Aeroméxico has 5/7

American Airlines has 4/7

:)
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:32 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

???

Compare your aeromexico link then with the following of American Airlines.

http://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/7 ... n-airlines

Aeroméxico has 5/7

American Airlines has 4/7

:)

“But Aeroméxico is much much better than American Airlines or any other US airline.”

You said much much better than any US airline. You said any other US airline. Check the charts again.

BTW chi chi given your experience (n)ever flying AM how do you rate it against Avianca (which I think you actually have flown)?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:47 pm

teamoperu wrote:BTW chi chi given your experience (n)ever flying AM how do you rate it against Avianca (which I think you actually have flown)?

I only flew once with Aeromexico but I flew numerous times with Avianca.

It's difficult to give an opinion after only having flown once with one airline and then comparing it with an airline I flew with at numerous occasions.

Anyway, I flew several times with American Airlines and United Airlines and I have to say that it was a bad experience every time I flew with them.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:56 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:BTW chi chi given your experience (n)ever flying AM how do you rate it against Avianca (which I think you actually have flown)?

I only flew once with Aeromexico but I flew numerous times with Avianca.

It's difficult to give an opinion after only having flown once with one airline and then comparing it with an airline I flew with at numerous occasions.

Anyway, I flew several times with American Airlines and United Airlines and I have to say that it was a bad experience every time I flew with them.

You only flew Aeromexico once so you can't give an opinion versus Avianca. I respect that statement!

You only flew Aeromexico once so you can say it is "much much better" than "any US airline"... ummm

Surely I am not the only one who notices a certain... well, inconsistency. :shock:
InsidePeru

Postby InsidePeru » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:40 pm

We have flown Aeromexico once and several times on American. Aeromexico was much more comfortable with plenty of room in the seats and overall quality. American was pretty much bare bones with small and uncomfortable seats. And my wife and I are both slim people so I can imagine what those seats would be like for a hefty person.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:13 am

InsidePeru wrote:American was pretty much bare bones with small and uncomfortable seats. And my wife and I are both slim people so I can imagine what those seats would be like for a hefty person.

Airlines like American and United have suffered a lot from the success of the low fare airlines like JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit Airlines, etc.
They have strong unión representations who make it difficult for them to lower wages and lay off staff. They fly old aircraft that need more maintenance. They also have a lot of staff that they don't need but got employed because they know this or that person in the company. They have more office staff and managers than the low fare airlines.

So, the only thing they can safe money on is passengers' comfort and safety.

Whilst the lowfare airlines fly with new aircrafts and employ motivated staff.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:28 am

chi chi wrote:
InsidePeru wrote:American was pretty much bare bones with small and uncomfortable seats. And my wife and I are both slim people so I can imagine what those seats would be like for a hefty person.

Airlines like American and United have suffered a lot from the success of the low fare airlines like JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit Airlines, etc.
They have strong unión representations who make it difficult for them to lower wages and lay off staff. They fly old aircraft that need more maintenance. They also have a lot of staff that they don't need but got employed because they know this or that person in the company. They have more office staff and managers than the low fare airlines.

So, the only thing they can safe money on is passengers' comfort and safety.

Whilst the lowfare airlines fly with new aircrafts and employ motivated staff.

I suggest you need to brush up on what is happening today, not live in the past.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:40 pm

teamoperu wrote:I suggest you need to brush up on what is happening today, not live in the past.

I am currently working as a purser for an airline so I know what's going in the airline industry.

And I have information what only insiders know.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:31 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:I suggest you need to brush up on what is happening today, not live in the past.

I am currently working as a purser for an airline so I know what's going in the airline industry.

Apparently not, given the outdated info you recently posted. But no wonder, saying a purser/stewardess knows what is going on on the airline industry is like saying the check out clerk at Plaza Vea knows the grocery business, no?

Insider information? Top Secret? LOL
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:07 pm

chi chi wrote:I am currently working as a purser for an airline so I know what's going in the airline industry.

Congratulations on your new job.

Serious question: Out of curiosity, I know what a pursers job is on a ship, but what does a purser do on a commercial airplane? I've never, to my knowledge, encountered a purser on a flight.

Not so serious question: Inside information like you can read on those Internet articles, "Ten secrets flight attendants won't tell you?"
Slippery Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippery Jack » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:42 am

chi chi wrote:

Go on, spill the beans.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:31 pm

ironchefchris wrote:
chi chi wrote:I am currently working as a purser for an airline so I know what's going in the airline industry.

Congratulations on your new job.

Serious question: Out of curiosity, I know what a pursers job is on a ship, but what does a purser do on a commercial airplane? I've never, to my knowledge, encountered a purser on a flight.

Thanks mate.

A purser is the head of cabin staff on board the aircraft.
The purser oversees that all standards operating procedures and safety and emergency procedures are carried out and gives orders to the flight attendants.
The purser also writes details flight reports about any safety related incidents and accidents. The purser has to brief and debrief the crew before and after very duty.

To become a purser, you need several years of flying experience as a flight attendant and pass a rigerous training course.
It's a very stressfull job.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:58 pm

The use of “purser” is European. Won't hear it in NA much. A purser = stewardess. They serve food and beverages to passengers and have safety training... mostly to tell you to put away your tray table and raise your seat back. Most do this with glee, loving being all powerful. In an emergency some are first out the door, as reported by post incident briefings. After serving food, and telling you that they are out of your preferred selection, they sit in the galley eating the dish you wanted but they kept for themselves. Sir chi chi is referring to the responsibilities of Chief Purser.

The Chief Purser (CP), also titled as Inflight Service Manager (ISM), Flight Service Manager (FSM), Cabin Service Manager (CSM) or Cabin Service Director (CSD). In SA, Jefe a Bordo.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:26 pm

teamoperu wrote:After serving food, and telling you that they are out of your preferred selection, they sit in the galley eating the dish you wanted but they kept for themselves.

On board there are crew meals. They are much better than what the ''cattle'' gets. I can't imagine that one of my colleagues would eat that ''slop'' that we feed to the 'cattle'.

teamoperu wrote:The use of “purser” is European. Won't hear it in NA much.

In the US, they are often called ''lead flight attendant. They generally look down upon passengers and would love to kick you off the flight if you just look at them in the wrong way or if they don't like your face.

The aviation business has changed a lot in the last 10 years. New rules and licences have been implemented.
Flight attendants now all need an EASA licence and a class A medical. I have a UK CAA licence but that's approved by EASA as it meets the EASA standards.
The exams were really tough. The passmark is 90%.

Apart from SEP (safety and emergency procedures), the training contains a CRM training (crew resource management), security training and a dangerous goods training.

And after obtaining an EASA (or UK CAA) licence, you have to go through a conversión course to be trained on the aircraft types you will be flying on.
I have currently a Boeing 747, Boeing 767 and Airbus A330 type rating.

But the rewards are great. A generous tax-free salary, free travel worldwide and big discounts in 5 star hotels when I have vacation. 10 weeks paid vacation a year is not bad. But we indeed have to work very hard throughout the year.

And when I work, I stay all the time at 5 star hotels and get a generous overnight allowance.

Last week, I worked on a flight to the Seychelles and stay 6 nights in a 5 star luxury resort. I took my gf along.

Next week, I have to work on the Las Vegas flight and I'll stay for 5 nights at the Wynn in Las Vegas. I booked a staff ticket for my gf so she can come along as well.

I also have a trip to Singapore on my roster and I am on standby for the 4 day Rio De Janeiro layover.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:09 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:After serving food, and telling you that they are out of your preferred selection, they sit in the galley eating the dish you wanted but they kept for themselves.

On board there are crew meals. They are much better than what the ''cattle'' gets. I can't imagine that one of my colleagues would eat that ''slop'' that we feed to the 'cattle'.

In the US, they are often called ''lead flight attendant. They generally look down upon passengers and would love to kick you off the flight if you just look at them in the wrong way or if they don't like your face.

The aviation business has changed a lot in the last 10 years. New rules and licences have been implemented.
Flight attendants now all need an EASA licence and a class A medical. I have a UK CAA licence but that's approved by EASA as it meets the EASA standards.

Apart from SEP (safety and emergency procedures), the training contains a CRM training (crew resource management), security training and a dangerous goods training.

And after obtaining an EASA (or UK CAA) licence, you have to go through a conversión course to be trained on the aircraft types you will be flying on.

But the rewards are great. A generous tax-free salary, free travel worldwide and big discounts in 5 star hotels when I have vacation. 10 weeks paid vacation a year is not bad. But we indeed have to work very hard throughout the year.

And when I work, I stay all the time at 5 star hotels and get a generous overnight allowance.

Last week, I worked on a flight to the Seychelles and stay 6 nights in a 5 star luxury resort. I took my gf along.

Next week, I have to work on the Las Vegas flight and I'll stay for 5 nights at the Wynn in Las Vegas. I booked a staff ticket for my gf so she can come along as well.

I also have a trip to Singapore on my roster and I am on standby for the 4 day Rio De Janeiro layover.

Someone is exaggerating big time.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:15 am

teamoperu wrote:Someone is exaggerating big time.

Jealous? Then do the job yourself. If you are willing to study a lot and able and willing to work hard then you can do it. Many airlines are looking for staff. Apply now!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:19 am

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:Someone is exaggerating big time.

Jealous? Then do the job yourself. If you are willing to study a lot and able and willing to work hard then you can do it. Many airlines are looking for staff. Apply now!

Wages are way too low for me. The idea of flying standby doesn't appeal to me. The suggestion your gf will be able to fly standby on your flight, when loads are in the high 90%s, is unrealisitic. Staff passes are limited and are not “free” of costs. Your layovers are often quite short. It is not a stressful job, the bulk of what they do is serve food and drinks. It is not hard. You only get paid when the brakes are off, so lots of unpaid work time.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27758

It makes you wonder about the veracity of certain statements regarding recently arrived Peruvian citizens in Spain being able to obtain visas, good jobs, new cars and mortgages. Children love to tell fairy tales.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm

chi chi wrote:

Aren't you worried about leaving your girlfriend alone for days on end? Men from Granada are notorious seducers. She's bound to get lonely and there'll be so many men at her new job. Perhaps it's a good idea if you use your air miles to bring her along with you.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:59 am

The thread is about Aeromexico. So for the umpteenth time, chi chi has managed to hijack the thread. I do not know what kind of attention deficit disorder it takes to have this happen so often.

Chi chi, every thread is NOT about you.
LuisTaxi

Postby LuisTaxi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:26 am

From my experience, I've never liked aeromexico. The service was horrible the two times I've flown and sometimes they don't have the personal tv '. I always suggest Lan. The food is better,they have peruvian sodas and beers :) the service is great and they always have individual tv '.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register