LGBTQ in Lima?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
lolapls

LGBTQ in Lima?

Postby lolapls » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:49 am

Hey!

I feel like a broken disc repeating this, but it's necessary again to make my point. Sorry if it comes off as annoying... My girlfriend and I are moving to Peru in July (last week, independence day) and we are looking for a room/apartment to share with others. However, since this new law hasn't passed (yet) about the Unión Civil, I would like to know how open people will react to the statement "we want to be your roommates/we want to rent a room in your house, oh yes, we are gay!" Will it be harder to find a place to live than for a straight couple? How do we come off with these "huge news" to the owners? Even though we are pretty much the most common couple in the world. (if we go into the whole what normal couple do convo, another thread for this :roll: )

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer! And hope to see you around :)

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LGBTQ in Lima?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:23 pm

If you're bothered what people think, then your best approach is to say nothing. Peruvians, in my experience, are very respectful of privacy and will not stick their noses into your living arrangements. Being completely open about your lifestyle, however, can perhaps lead to problems with some people. That's not to say there aren't open-minded and tolerant people here, but when coming to a new country, especially in South America, it's generally best to get to know people and get familiar with your surroundings.
lolapls

Postby lolapls » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:23 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:If you're bothered what people think, then your best approach is to say nothing. Peruvians, in my experience, are very respectful of privacy and will not stick their noses into your living arrangements. Being completely open about your lifestyle, however, can perhaps lead to problems with some people. That's not to say there aren't open-minded and tolerant people here, but when coming to a new country, especially in South America, it's generally best to get to know people and get familiar with your surroundings.

To be perfectly honest, we aren't really super open about it. It's our life and we live fine as we are. No hay agendas here :lol: burt we do need to tell he roommates or people we are renting from, so that's the main issue here. Will people actually come up with an excuse to rent us a place if they know we are two girls?

Thanks for your comment!
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:21 pm

I don't know, but maybe you could call some of the gay bars listed on this website that Google turned up and ask for some info:

http://lima.gaycities.com/bars/

Like most cities I'd guess that there are certain areas of Lima that are more amenable to gays.

I have not yet met any gay couples (or even any openly gay people) in Lima so I really can't say much about what it is like here, but in my limited experience I'd say that there is far more anti-gay sentiment here in Lima than in, say, Chicago.

Of course I laugh when I hear the most virulent anti-gay people rant because I'm thinking to myself that they are probably compensating for being gay themselves. Anyway, good news is I have met plenty of people who couldn't care less and even make a point of telling people they have gay sons or daughters or friends, so it isn't all bad. But honestly I hear a lot of gay bashing pretty regularly here, sorry to say.

This wiki article talks about LGBT stats in Peru:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Peru

It claims there are anti-discriminatory laws in place for acquiring goods and services, but you'd have to dig further to figure out what that means in practical terms. But of course it is best to try to be on good terms with your landlord, and threatening litigation is not generally the best way to achieve that.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:44 pm

maybe it's because i am all over Lima, in the good parts and bad. i've seen lots of gay people here. in my observation, they are not frowned upon. i would imagine 2 girls are more acceptable for roomies than 2 guys. :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
lolapls

Postby lolapls » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Thank you guys! :D
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:59 pm

lolapls wrote:To be perfectly honest, we aren't really super open about it. It's our life and we live fine as we are. No hay agendas here :lol: burt we do need to tell he roommates or people we are renting from, so that's the main issue here. Will people actually come up with an excuse to rent us a place if they know we are two girls?

Thanks for your comment!

You don't have to tell the landlords that you are gay. You are just two girls sharing a room to save costs.

There are loads of girls from the provinces that move to Lima to work or to study and they share a room with another girls to save costs.

Many landlords also prefer to rent out rooms to foreigners as they asume that they are more reliable when it comes to paying the rent and respecting their property.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:03 pm

caliguy wrote:maybe it's because i am all over Lima, in the good parts and bad. i've seen lots of gay people here. in my observation, they are not frowned upon. i would imagine 2 girls are more acceptable for roomies than 2 guys. :D

Indeed, many gays are very open when it comes to showing their sexuality.

Especially in La Selva.
19naia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 19naia » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:44 pm

My first destination in Peru, after landing in Lima, was Iquitos.. I ended up walking into the Belem dirty market area.. I stumbled across an area of hair dressers who all seemed to be men expressed in very feminine form.. I would trust them to do my hair any day, if i ever did my hair..
They all took interest in me ,calling me over to join them.. I just looked over at them and stopped enough to be nice to them and give some greetings... An entire area of the market full of people like that and they dominated that part of the market.. Straight people would be the odd ones out in that part :mrgreen:

Any way, Iquitos got on my hellhole list and i got out of there after wasting hundreds of dollars and getting swindled out of $50 on the streets... Everybody seemed to think my choice to move to Trujillo area was a bad move... Iquitos was the real pit and full of thieves and manipulators and way over priced.. A tourist trap..
Trujillo area ended up being easier and no problems like the Iquitos crowd warned....
Back on topic, Its Good to go tour the local market in your area and the places you would be hanging out at, and look out for people that would be able to tell you about the LGBT scene in the area and how they manage and what challenges they face... They are out there in every viable city and looking to connect and support others like them in finding a safe niche...
I was in Philippines for a few years, ultra catholic country and yet filled with LGBT communities that influence a lot of the fashion and flare of the metro culture in every city..
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:52 pm

19naia wrote:My first destination in Peru, after landing in Lima, was Iquitos.. I ended up walking into the Belem dirty market area.. I stumbled across an area of hair dressers who all seemed to be men expressed in very feminine form.. I would trust them to do my hair any day, if i ever did my hair..
They all took interest in me ,calling me over to join them.. I just looked over at them and stopped enough to be nice to them and give some greetings... An entire area of the market full of people like that and they dominated that part of the market.. Straight people would be the odd ones out in that part :mrgreen:

Trujillo area ended up being easier and no problems like the Iquitos crowd warned....
Back on topic, Its Good to go tour the local market in your area and the places you would be hanging out at, and look out for people that would be able to tell you about the LGBT scene in the area and how they manage and what challenges they face... They are out there in every viable city and looking to connect and support others like them in finding a safe niche...

Tabalosos is probably the gay capital of Peru. It's a small city located somewhere along the carretera between Tarapoto and Moyobamba and is home to more tan 14000 gay men.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:07 pm

chi chi wrote:
19naia wrote:My first destination in Peru, after landing in Lima, was Iquitos.. I ended up walking into the Belem dirty market area.. I stumbled across an area of hair dressers who all seemed to be men expressed in very feminine form.. I would trust them to do my hair any day, if i ever did my hair..

Tabalosos is probably the gay capital of Peru. It's a small city located somewhere along the carretera between Tarapoto and Moyobamba and is home to more tan 14000 gay men.

Link? Proof? If you cannot prove it is not believable, given the many falsehoods you have posted.

Add: A quick search: Wiki
Tabalosos is a district. Population • Total 12,427, but it has 14000 gay men and no other LGBTQ?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:24 pm

teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Link? Proof? If you cannot prove it is not believable, given the many falsehoods you have posted.

Tabalosos is a district. Population • Total 12,427, but it has 14000 gay men and no other LGBTQ?

Here are your links:

http://gawker.com/5862134/peruvian-tap- ... arns-mayor

http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com ... yor/12044/
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:16 pm

I feel it is just good manners to advise any landlord of the situation.
If they do not approve, probably better that you did not enter into an arrangement with them.
I had rental property in the US and never had an issue with two women sharing a room or unit.
Actually, they were my best tenants as they were respectful and kept the place spotless.

Best wishes
lolapls

Postby lolapls » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Followthesun wrote:Back on topic - please!
If they do not approve, probably better that you did not enter into an arrangement with them.
I had rental property in the US and never had an issue with two women sharing a room or unit.
Actually, they were my best tenants as they were respectful and kept the place spotless.

Best wishes

Yes, that's the main reason I would like to let them know. Not as in "hello I'm gay" and hung a pride flag, but as in "we only need one room" kind of situation.

We really do like a clean and organised space to live! :D

I can't wait to start looking for a place! Thanks for the answers. I'll definitely going to inform the landlords and avoid an issue from the start.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:26 pm

chi chi wrote:
teamoperu wrote:
chi chi wrote:

Here are your links:

http://gawker.com/5862134/peruvian-tap- ... arns-mayor

http://www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com ... yor/12044/

Nope.
Neither link confirmed what you posted.
Neither link says there are 14000 gays in a district with a population of 12500 people.
Neither say that Tabalosos is the gay capital of Peru.
Neither confirm what you said is accurate – so I'll conclude that you posted garbage.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:28 pm

lolapls wrote:
Followthesun wrote:Back on topic - please!

Best wishes

Yes, that's the main reason I would like to let them know. Not as in "hello I'm gay" and hung a pride flag, but as in "we only need one room" kind of situation.

We really do like a clean and organised space to live! :D

I can't wait to start looking for a place! Thanks for the answers. I'll definitely going to inform the landlords and avoid an issue from the start.

IMHO you selected the wrong advice to listen to. But good luck to you and enjoy Peru.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Followthesun wrote:Teamoperu,

Why do you consider advising the landlord of the situation - bad advice?
Do you want to see these young women evicted after the landlord is furious?
Is this the bad advice or that it comes from me???

People are funny. I get the sense she wants to declare her LGBTQ status to a potential landlord, got a wave of advice that is is not necessary, then decided to follow your post. Because it said what she wanted to hear. People are funny that way, me included. We like advice that confirms what we want to hear and discount advice when it counters it.

Why do I think she is following the wrong advice? Lots of good opinions about that above. But since you asked... hmmm

Firstly because my intuition tells me that. I am highly intuitive, beyond normal, and have learned to listen to my intuition. People like me with a highly developed sense of intuition will nod knowingly when I state this, but people without will rightly doubt it.

It is no ones business but hers.

It is very common for girls to live together here, sharing the costs. Sisters, aunts, other relatives, friends etc. No one would raise a second thought about it. Lots of young women with different names live together in a small departmento here. Someone needing to forewarn me about their LGBTQ preference would raise my suspicions more than someone saying nothing.

When I do a business transaction like renting a departmento I do not normally declare my religion, my politics, my sexuality. Unless it would somehow be to my advantage. Like: I see you are a bible thumping religious nutcase, just like me, can I rent your apartment?

This scenario comes to me: Hi, I want to rent your apartment, but it will only be me alone because I prefer to masturbate than have a partner? I see no difference. Just too much unnecessary information.
Last edited by teamoperu on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lolapls

Postby lolapls » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:23 pm

teamoperu wrote:

People are funny. I get the sense she wants to declare her LBGTQ status to a potential landlord, got a wave of advice that is is not necessary, then decided to follow your post. Because it said what she wanted to hear. People are funny that way, me included. We like advice that confirms what we want to hear and discount advice when it counters it.

Why do I think she is following the wrong advice? Lots of good opinions about that above. But since you asked... hmmm

Firstly because my intuition tells me that. I am highly intuitive, beyond normal, and have learned to listen to my intuition. People like me with a highly developed sense of intuition will nod knowingly when I state this, but people without will rightly doubt it.

It is very common for girls to live together here, sharing the costs. Sisters, aunts, other relatives, friends etc. No one would raise a second thought about it. Lots of young women with different names live together in a small departmento here. Someone needing to forewarn me about their LGTBQ preference would raise my suspicions more than someone saying nothing.

When I do a business transaction like renting a departmento I do not normally declare my religion, my politics, my sexuality. Unless it would somehow be to my advantage. Like: I see you are a bible thumping religious nutcase, just like me, can I rent your apartment?

This scenario comes to me: Hi, I want to rent your apartment, but it will only be me alone because I prefer to masturbate than have a partner? I see no difference. Just too much unnecessary information.

I don't think you need a highly developed sense of intuion to know that humans like to get confirmations more than different advice to what they have asked. I was just thinking about it in the morning and I accepted an advice that pretty much said "yes it'll be fine if you tell them".

Thankfully, we don't have to say all about us when renting an apartment. And although I'm the first person to be against the whole 'say you're lgbtq beforehand' kind of life, when it comes to a conservative country where I would like to spend some months living safe and in peace with my partner., I like to know it isn't a bad idea to tell theowners of the house... Come on, I have to let them know I only need one bed so paying for two would be a waste of money. It isn't a big deal, and I am not trying to throw my pride on people's faces, but it's an important fact when it comes to rent, isn't it?

So yeah tl;dr I accepted the 'bad advice' because it didn't miss the point of my question and because it was supporting what I felt I wanted to do in the first place.

Next time I have a question, I can state I just need confirmation if that'll make it easier for you to decide if you'd like to comment or not. However, thank you for taking the time to post your suggestion.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:28 pm

lolapls wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

People are funny. I get the sense she wants to declare her LBGTQ status to a potential landlord, got a wave of advice that is is not necessary, then decided to follow your post. Because it said what she wanted to hear. People are funny that way, me included. We like advice that confirms what we want to hear and discount advice when it counters it.

It is very common for girls to live together here, sharing the costs. Sisters, aunts, other relatives, friends etc. No one would raise a second thought about it. Lots of young women with different names live together in a small departmento here. Someone needing to forewarn me about their LGTBQ preference would raise my suspicions more than someone saying nothing.

I don't think you need a highly developed sense of intuion to know that humans like to get confirmations more than different advice to what they have asked. I was just thinking about it in the morning and I accepted an advice that pretty much said "yes it'll be fine if you tell them".

Thankfully, we don't have to say all about us when renting an apartment. And although I'm the first person to be against the whole 'say you're lgbtq beforehand' kind of life, when it comes to a conservative country where I would like to spend some months living safe and in peace with my partner., I like to know it isn't a bad idea to tell theowners of the house... Come on, I have to let them know I only need one bed so paying for two would be a waste of money. It isn't a big deal, and I am not trying to throw my pride on people's faces, but it's an important fact when it comes to rent, isn't it?

So yeah tl;dr I accepted the 'bad advice' because it didn't miss the point of my question and because it was supporting what I felt I wanted to do in the first place.

Next time I have a question, I can state I just need confirmation if that'll make it easier for you to decide if you'd like to comment or not. However, thank you for taking the time to post your suggestion.

por nada and have a GREAT time in Peru!
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi,
Check this network maybe they have information about rooms for rent in Lima.
http://www.gpsgay.com/index.php?option= ... in&lang=es
You have to register to that social network for the LGBT community.
Followthesun

Postby Followthesun » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Lola and partner,

Honesty is always the best policy in life
If I or my Peruvian gf can help you in an way once your arrive in Peru, it would be our pleasure to do so.

Best wishes for safe travel and in your many years together as a couple.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:53 am

Followthesun wrote:Lola and partner,

Honesty is always the best policy in life
If I or my Peruvian gf can help you in an way once your arrive in Peru, it would be our pleasure to do so.

Best wishes for safe travel and in your many years together as a couple.

I reread the thread. Lets be honest, no one was suggesting anyone be dishonest. Please do not make things up and fantasize, that is something extremists do. Or were you just quoting silly homonyms for the fun of it?

No one needs to provide their life story or details of their personal life to rent an apartment. You may want to add stuff if it is advantageous, like, "I see you are a bible thumping religious fanatic nutcase, just like me, can I rent your apartment"
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Landlords are more interested in your ability to pay the rent and that you will look well after their property than your sexual orientation.
lolapls

Postby lolapls » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:47 am

chi chi wrote:Landlords are more interested in your ability to pay the rent and that you will look well after their property than your sexual orientation.

Yes, I understand. This is exactly what I would say to someone like me asking this, however (as I believe I have said already) I want to be able to rent ONE room for TWO girls with ONE bed. I don't think paying for two beds is any smart just to avoid telling them about my sexual orientation.

I guess I could ask better this time and say: Would I get in trouble with a landlord in Lima if I rent a room, but two people live in it? I don't think this is honest since the use of water of two people is obviously higher the only one, same with electricity (laptops/phones), etc. So what are your experiences, if any, about a situation like this?

Thank you all for continuing commenting here!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:10 pm

lolapls wrote:
chi chi wrote:Landlords are more interested in your ability to pay the rent and that you will look well after their property than your sexual orientation.

Yes, I understand. This is exactly what I would say to someone like me asking this, however (as I believe I have said already) I want to be able to rent ONE room for TWO girls with ONE bed. I don't think paying for two beds is any smart just to avoid telling them about my sexual orientation.

I guess I could ask better this time and say: Would I get in trouble with a landlord in Lima if I rent a room, but two people live in it? I don't think this is honest since the use of water of two people is obviously higher the only one, same with electricity (laptops/phones), etc. So what are your experiences, if any, about a situation like this?

Thank you all for continuing commenting here!

Q: Would I get in trouble with a landlord in Lima if I rent a room, but two people live in it?
A: No, you will not get in trouble.
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amigorick » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:44 pm

In Iquitos it would be a problem. Renting a room with 2 tenants is more expensive than one.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:16 pm

amigorick wrote:In Iquitos it would be a problem. Renting a room with 2 tenants is more expensive than one.

In Tarapoto, clean and big rooms are very affordable.
It's also very easy to find a room. Tarapoto has loads of students. Sharing a rooms won't be a problem. Many (poor) students rent a room together.
lolapls

Postby lolapls » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:23 pm

chi chi wrote:
amigorick wrote:In Iquitos it would be a problem. Renting a room with 2 tenants is more expensive than one.

In Tarapoto, clean and big rooms are very affordable.
It's also very easy to find a room. Tarapoto has loads of students. Sharing a rooms won't be a problem. Many (poor) students rent a room together.

Thanks! However we would like to live in Lima :)
Zosimus

Postby Zosimus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:27 am

I would say, first of all, that I doubt anyone cares whether you are lesbians. I have been on the Metropolitano and seen girls together, holding hands, and obviously a couple. The same thing often happens at el Puente de Suspiros. No one paid them any mind.

However, I do think the landlord might be concerned about any situation that might raise the cost of utility bills, especially if those bills are included in the rent. For example, while my wife and I were separated, she came to visit me several weekends and brought the kids as well. The landlord immediately complained about increased electricity and water usage.

I don't think it's necessary to reveal intimate details of your living arrangements, but if it affects the landlord's bottom line, he or she will definitely squawk.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:15 pm

Zosimus wrote:I would say, first of all, that I doubt anyone cares whether you are lesbians. I have been on the Metropolitano and seen girls together, holding hands, and obviously a couple. The same thing often happens at el Puente de Suspiros. No one paid them any mind.

However, I do think the landlord might be concerned about any situation that might raise the cost of utility bills, especially if those bills are included in the rent. For example, while my wife and I were separated, she came to visit me several weekends and brought the kids as well. The landlord immediately complained about increased electricity and water usage.

I don't think it's necessary to reveal intimate details of your living arrangements, but if it affects the landlord's bottom line, he or she will definitely squawk.

The OP was clear she was going to tell the landlord that 2 people would be living there, no?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register