Married - Visa Time

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
simperu2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Married - Visa Time

Postby simperu2012 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello expats and friends around the world,

Our 4 year long journey has finally reached a happy milestone; marriage. Thanks to everyone that helped me along the way with advice, it was much appreciated. I'd like to ask any U.S. expats on this forum about how they went about bringing their spouse to the States. I've spent hours researching the possibilities. One thing that worries me is the amount of time we still be spending apart during the process. Having worked for the federal government, I know that speed isn't exactly a strong point of the government. The three options that I have come across are the following:

1. Return to the States and file the CR-1 visa from here, wait for processing, then file the I-129 form. Once this is done, file the K3 visa with the goal of bringing her to the States as the CR-1 process takes place. I've heard cases of up to 13 months before an interview is even scheduled. As newlyweds, that isn't our first priority.

2. Return to the States and file the CR-1, following the process as I mentioned above. But, instead of waiting out the process in the States, returning to Peru and working during that time and being with my wife. I would establish a domicile back home in the States, and use letters from my current employer, tax returns, etc to show on my affidavit of support. By maintaining my address back home, I'd be able to prove that my stay in Peru is temporary, and that our intent is to live in the States.

3. Finally there's the option of establishing ourselves in Peru, then applying for a tourist visa at a later date. While this isn't ideal, we would be able to spend the first year of our marriage together then figure things out later.

What do those of you that have gone through similar circumstances recommend?

Thanks

captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Married - Visa Time

Postby captcosmic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:28 pm

I married in Peru and went home to file the CR1 from the states. Took about 10 months if I remember correctly, with the help of a US Senator! I did all the paperwork myself without lawyers and saved the expense. However it was not an easy task. Everything has to be translated from Spanish (no need to pay a high priced translation firm, I did it myself and had a bilingual friend sign it for me). I do recommend that you call your US senator and talk to some one in the office and ask them what is a good way to go. Establish a relationship with some one there who might be able to help you in the future. You worked for the government, so you know they are supposed to be there to help their constituents. :)

GO to this website: http://www.visajourney.com/ That is where I got my PhD in visas. :)

Get everything original while you are in Peru. Marriage certificates, birth certificates, penal record, arrest record .. that is all that comes to mind.

Test me on side if you have any specific questions. Be happy to help! Good luck and keep the faith!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Incredible that it still takes that long in the US.

My gf and I aren't married but she got her visa to go to Europe within 5 days. And it was free of charge.
Unmarried partners of EU citizens have that automatic right to join their partner in the EU. They have the same rights than EU citizens to work, study and reside.
We only had to prove that we have been together for at least 2 years. We showed a wáter bill, electricity bill and the immigration stamps in my Passport.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:58 am

chi chi wrote:Incredible that it still takes that long in the US.

My gf and I aren't married but she got her visa to go to Europe within 5 days. And it was free of charge.
Unmarried partners of EU citizens have that automatic right to join their partner in the EU. They have the same rights than EU citizens to work, study and reside.
We only had to prove that we have been together for at least 2 years. We showed a wáter bill, electricity bill and the immigration stamps in my Passport.

Doesn't quite work like that in England.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:13 pm

chi chi wrote:Incredible that it still takes that long in the US.

ChiChi, that would be very helpful advice if he was interested in taking his wife/girlfriend/unmarried partner to Europe! But it is a totally different ball of wax going to the US. :wink:
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:38 pm

My wife and I were married in the USA, then returned to Lima and applied for residency while in Peru. She already had a US visa for many years and it took us about 3 months to acquire the residence visa. I did all the application work myself. We were married and applied for the residence visa about 8 years ago. Since then, we have applied for her Mom with success without a lawyer.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:24 am

Married in Magdalena Del MAr, took a year to get her visa. She is now a US citizen, no more Visa worries,
Took my stepson 2 years to get a Visa, he is now waiting for his US Passport via his mom.

I did 2: move back to Peru and waited there, had a remote IT job, I was able to live anywhere,

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register