Peruvian getting a UK visitor visa?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peruvian getting a UK visitor visa?

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:34 pm

Does anyone know a Peruvian citizen who has been through the process of getting a visitor visa for the UK? If so how was it?

My wife has the interview next week, as we are hoping to make London our first stop on a multi-country vacation through Europe.

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Peruvian getting a UK visitor visa?

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:06 am

We have done this trip several times with family in the UK and Germany. Getting the visa has always been straight forward, but it is essential to show good reason to return to Peru, such as statements for bank accounts, credit cards, employment and assets ( such as property ownership) Always be honest with them and you will have no problem. The first time we went the consulate asked for a written invitation. I promptly wrote one whilst we were at the interview.
Good Luck
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey Adrian,

Do you mind me asking which visa you applied for? There are two which seem suitable, the general visitor visa and the family visitor visa. The problem with the latter is they look for the husband to be a UK resident (clearly not the case as I am resident here in Peru)

Several times my wife has got a Schengen visa - the last time with the French embassy she said it was a complete pleasure, they informed her that as the wife of an EU national she was welcome to visit, no visa costs etc... With the UK embassy in Lima they refuse to even answer questions on visa - bizarre.

Anyway, back on topic - UK visa - if you remember which visa you applied for that would be great.

Dave,

Which visa are you applying for?

Thanks
Dan
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:39 am

We also did the process but got refused first time as we didn't really know what to do and only filled in the forms...

Second time around, it is also good to have family members in the UK write invitations, expressing their knowledge that they know of the upcoming trip and are welcoming your wife from date x to date x and are looking forward to her visit. Include your flight reservations. Include photos. Include bank statements showing healthy balances. All these additional documents only help your cause.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 am

adrian Thorne wrote:We have done this trip several times with family in the UK and Germany. Getting the visa has always been straight forward, but it is essential to show good reason to return to Peru, such as statements for bank accounts, credit cards, employment and assets ( such as property ownership) Always be honest with them and you will have no problem. The first time we went the consulate asked for a written invitation. I promptly wrote one whilst we were at the interview.
Good Luck

This is a good point, but if your wife works for a reputable employer and has a regular salary coming into her bank account and you show this on the application, then it's no problem. Otherwise, you should do what Adrian and Lloyd suggest.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:40 am

Danny55 wrote:Hey Adrian,

Do you mind me asking which visa you applied for? There are two which seem suitable, the general visitor visa and the family visitor visa. The problem with the latter is they look for the husband to be a UK resident (clearly not the case as I am resident here in Peru)

Several times my wife has got a Schengen visa - the last time with the French embassy she said it was a complete pleasure, they informed her that as the wife of an EU national she was welcome to visit, no visa costs etc... With the UK embassy in Lima they refuse to even answer questions on visa - bizarre.

Anyway, back on topic - UK visa - if you remember which visa you applied for that would be great.

Dave,

Which visa are you applying for?

Thanks
Dan

We normally get the visitors visa and have done on five occasions now. They are pretty strict on time away and always only give the minimum needed (do not allow for delays), unlike the States who give you ten years. Usually takes up to three weeks on a normal application. Once you have been there and back once, future applications are usually just a formality.

There are lots of information in the forum showing the process.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Just an update for anyone else in the same situation:

She got the visa, took a little less than 3 weeks, and she got a 6 month one too (we only wanted to travel for 2 weeks). We didn't realize it but the British embassy in Lima actually doesn't make the decision: they did the interview but then sent all of the papers to the embassy in Bogota, and it was they who made the decision. Don't know how long that's been the case or if it will always be that way, but thought it kind of strange.

Also for kind of ironic reasons we're not going to end up taking the vacation, so the visa will go to waste. Still feels good to be approved though :lol:
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:48 pm

adrian Thorne wrote: .....................They are pretty strict on time away and always only give the minimum needed (do not allow for delays), unlike the States who give you ten years............

That's typical rip off Britain. I don't see why I should have to pay for a visa to take my Peruvian wife to visit her English relatives. Perhaps she's the wrong nationality and we try to do things legally. :lol:
PS. To all English ex pats, or immigrants, Happy Saint Georges day for Thursday 23rd.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register