Automatic Transmission Repair in Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Automatic Transmission Repair in Lima

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:19 pm

I have recently had an issue with automatic transmission on a Ford Expedition, 3rd gear is completely gone. I have taken this to a repair shop in Miraflores that specializes in transmission repair. The owner is a member of the US ATRA (Automatic Tranismion Rebuilders Association) and was trained in Miami. The place is called Factoria Gamarra phone: 421-9339. Website: http://www.factoriagamarra.com/

He told me the absolute worst case on a full rebuild would be US $1500.00. So I will get my full estimate shortly. I hope he does a good job and charges a fair price. I will post the results of my transmission adventures here for all to see.

..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Automatic Transmission Repair in Lima

Postby caliguy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:21 pm

1500 sounds like a fair price considering there are not too many cars with auto trans here. let us know how it goes.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:02 am

My transmission was completely rebuilt. The owner of the shop had me see in detail all the parts that had to be repaired (discs, pistons, bearings,widgets, smoke and mirrors), he showed me the wear. He also showed me how he knew it had been repaired before. I understood about 1/2 of what he said, if it were English I would only understand 3/4 of what he would have said. Anyway, it took a total of about a week. It seems to run great but of course time will tell. I have year warranty and he said bring in back in a week or so to check for any leaks. I am very happy with the service, I hope it lasts. He as a no bull*#* kind of guy, and they were very busy, so I think that is a good sign.

Total Cost: $1200.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:18 pm

I had my tranny rebuilt the last week of March, and it is now August and it is having more issues, I think the torque converted might be fried. In any case, it is supposed to have a 1 year warranty so I am taking it back to be repaired again. I will let readers know if it is covered under warranty or they come up with some phantom charges. I am very unhappy about it but there is not much I can do. I think the problem is that my car is a FORD.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:13 am

Ok, so I took my Expedition to the tranny shop, and on the way it performed perfectly! No issues. I could not duplicate the problem to shop. I spent the next hour driving aggressively like an idiot and it worked perfectly. The shop owner asked me if their had been any movement of the 2H, 4Low while I was driving. I remember a kid had touched those buttons while I was driving. Anyway, its been working fine since my last post. The shop stands behind their work and told me to comeback if there are anymore issues. They checked it out and all is good. I have had plenty of bad transmission experience in the USA, and they NEVER get better (especially FORDS)! This is the CRAZIEST transmission issue I have ever had.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Fixed Or Repaired Daily :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Seems to have issues, but it is a 10 year old car.
onurinal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby onurinal » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Actually age is not the only factor here. I own a 10 year old Camry and I have never had AT problems. A well maintained AT should last until the end of the vehicle with hundreds of thousand miles. AT is the most complex part of a car and the most difficult one to repair. Rebuilt ATs are likely to generate problems afterwards if they had not been attended suitably. It requires sophisticated technical knowledge and up-scale mechanical skills to repair an AT. Considering Peruvian standards, a rebuilt AT job that costs 1500 Dollars will definitely start showing problems in one year. I suggest you to get a used AT from eBay and have it shipped here via freight if you don't want to mess up with problems!!!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register