Real Estate/Inmobiliaria

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Real Estate/Inmobiliaria

Postby ironchefchris » Sat May 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Anybody here in Peru working as an agent, broker, marketing, have knowledge of the biz, etc.?

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Real Estate/Inmobiliaria

Postby Alan » Mon May 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi Chris,

Probably there are more than a few on this board who have bought and/sold real estate. Is there something specific that you need to know?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue May 05, 2015 12:14 pm

I've noticed in online listings and the supermarket real estate pamphlets that the photos used to market a property are usually of poor quality. Strange angles, unimportant subjects, lines that should be vertical/horizontal are anything but, details lost in the shadows, and windows that are nothing more than blown out panes of obfuscating white light destroying any potential vistas. If a picture is worth a thousand words and a good set of photos will attract more attention than a poor one (there are studies showing that good photos can sell properties faster and at higher prices) it would seem sellers/agents/agencies are selling themselves short in their marketing efforts. It's not rocket science, more craft than art, but there are guidelines to this type of work. I know I could do better and I know there are photographers who specialize in this elsewhere in the world, but before I put in the time, effort and money to create a portfolio and other necessary marketing tools I'd like to know if there is even a viable market here in Peru for this service.

A car wash may be a great idea elsewhere, but I've only ever seen one in Peru, which tends to be more of a D.I.Y. culture than a pay someone for better results or because they consider their time valuable and better spent elsewhere. Most people wash their own car because even if you can afford it, why pay someone to do something you can do yourself? I'm guessing most sellers/agents take their own photos, perhaps because that's how it's usually been done and neither the sellers/agents/buyers expect a higher level of quality. It seems to be approached as being nothing more than an afterthought.

I'm already preparing materials for other markets so I may just throw caution and research to the wind, but I'm a researcher at heart and am interested if anyone has any thoughts on this. Thanks.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue May 05, 2015 1:58 pm

I have used the services of an agent on several occasions and in every instance they have requested we supply the photographs. I even asked one, Masterhouse, when we could expect the photographer. He was quite surprised at our request. I am absolutely certain marketing does not exist and the Realtor is in fact a supplier of properties to the prospective client, either by contact calls or waiting for them to walk through the door with their specification. On one occasion I supplied in the region of 50 photographs of a property and suggested they choose the most suitable. They inserted all the photographs supplied.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue May 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info. Explains the variation in the quality of photos I've seen. Sounds like I would have to target my marketing more towards the seller than the agent. I'm not sure what commission rate the agent/agency gets for selling a property, but since current prices for real estate are closer to gringo prices than other typical "Peruvian" prices, I'm guessing successful agents can do quite well for themselves. It would make sense for them to want to move their listings as quickly as possible and if I were the professional agent with experience in selling multiple listings I wouldn't leave marketing responsibilities to the infrequent, perhaps one time only, amateur seller which could ultimately cost me commissions. Then again, I accept that what makes business sense to me, a gringo, might not make sense to someone used to conducting business in their own way and I am relatively unfamiliar with the differences in how this business works compared to the US.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:58 am

I have bought and sold a couple of times and have helped friends do the same, avoiding official agent fees, but doing all the paperwork correctly at the Notaria. Agents typically charge 3% or 4%. I am familiar with the process and if you had any other specific questions, drop me a PM or email.
As for photos, professionals costs money and Peruvians hate to part with it when they can DIY, whether it be good or bad.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 am

Peruvians hate parting with their money? Can I say “Jews hate parting with their money”? Fine line. I think many people of many nationalities hate parting with their money... even expats. I guess the less you have, the less easy it is to part with it. (I am only pointing the difficulty of generalizations, nothing more.)

It might be a bit more about sophistication of the industry. As ironchef points out, it may be a good business decision to use quality photos to increase impact and interest, but maybe the industry isn't there yet.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu May 07, 2015 12:37 pm

teamoperu wrote:Peruvians hate parting with their money? Can I say “Jews hate parting with their money”? Fine line. I think many people of many nationalities hate parting with their money... even expats. I guess the less you have, the less easy it is to part with it. (I am only pointing the difficulty of generalizations, nothing more.)

It might be a bit more about sophistication of the industry. As ironchef points out, it may be a good business decision to use quality photos to increase impact and interest, but maybe the industry isn't there yet.

Perhaps catching up is a good way of putting it. Until recently, putting an ad in El Commercio and sticking a big for sale sign in the window was how most sales were done, as many corredores were seen as little better than used car salesmen, people tried to avoid them. But websites like adondevivir seem to be catching on quickly. Perhaps like in the States and Europe, newspaper listings are on their way out. And if people are going to sell their property online, they might need to be more professional to get a quick sale, so perhaps Chris has hit on a new and growing niche.

By the way, out of curiosity, I went to have a look at just how bad some of the photos are and I've just seen the strangest set of photos on adondevivir for an apartment in Surco where someone's wife/girlfriend is posing in all the photos of the kitchen, living room, terraza, all badly taken amateur shots, like she's a model.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register